/FAST/ Concientious food objector edition

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>DeLauer videos, mainly focus on tips, quick explanations of processeses backed with research, and chadliness
youtube.com/watch?v=ihrmfFlG_qc
youtube.com/watch?v=6UShUs1Wb_k

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447956/
lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=Muscle loss fasting pubmed
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/6k9u07/78day_check_in/
youtube.com/watch?v=MQpsFTVAqpA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447956/

>exercise kneecaps and sodomizes cancer cells
>a good chunk of this effect is also produced through fasting

keep it up anons, we're all gonna make it

>Inb4 muh muscle loss and other fucktards spewing mom science tier bullshit

lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=Muscle loss fasting pubmed

Haters can fuck off

3 days fasted now, all going nicely

I think you can add this guy next time to OP

reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/6k9u07/78day_check_in/

>starting day 9 today
>lost 8kg (17lb) so far

When will the fat loss slow down?

Water fast I take it?

Yes

Got any exercise you doin with that?

Only did an 30minutes on bike and push ups and kettlebell swings once to know how I will feel without carbs. Want to do cardio and weights 3 times a week starting now

It depends on the person, it can slow down then speed up randomly

ADF with one big keto meal on feasting days here

im currenty doing IF 16/8 and cutting. Should I start doing fasted days or not ?

first timer here
How many days should I water fast to stay safe?

until you have no longer fat to burn or you feel like you are going to pass out

TL;DR can someone give the basics?

how does your routine look like?

>how does your routine look like?

1) dont eat
2) drink water only
2) something take multivitamin,salt and potassium supplement

where do you get salt supplement from?

Start with one day first, then progressively do more. Don't bother trying to do 10 days as a first timer, you'll be miserable and won't make it

I CLOSE MY EYES AND SEIZE IT
I CLENCH MY FISTS AND BEAT IT
I LIGHT MY TORCH AND BURN IT
I AM THE BEAST I WORSHIP

I aleady did 1 day fast severl times for religious reasons. I also didn't drink water on them.

I'm going to do 3 days and see how it goes then.

LIDL I think. Lliterally kitchen salt

>tfw fasting to achieve white MC Ride mode

That pic makes me happy

Hi. I'd love to get into a fast. Just finished watching some of the videos in the OP and I have some questions:
For a skinny fat 73kg/6'1" dude who is looking to get fit and lean what is the best course of action?
I'm thinking of doing the "warrior" fast where I exercise and eat my high fat high protein meal in a 4 hour window, and fast for 20 hours after that.
Is this fine, could it be done better? The exercises are mostly gravity training/no equipment + two 4kg dumbbells

>religious reasons
kek
not starving coz of poverty

I'm doing 16/8 fast and losing around 0.2 kg a day. Do it if you still want to eat something every day.

why are pepe and feels guy always enemies

twink mode with a lil love handle will fasting help or make me an african child

>started lean gains 16/8
>Eat like a fuck during window, everything I see, usually 3k over 3 meals
>All lifts stall, do goes up slightly
>Losing body fat

Wtf I want to bulk.

Then don't fast.

I just started my water fast today, will taking preworkout affect my fast?

>do goes up slightly

what

are they 0 calories?

Yes, but they have caffeine and I'm trying to quit coffee because of high cortisol levels

It's convenient and I like the energy. I'm just worried I'm gonna lose too much weight. I'm already having huge servings of carbs and fat and enough protein every meal
Dl*

I ran into an issue when finishing my water fast.

When I broke the fast anything I ate gave a burning and uncomfortable sensation down my throat and a little on my tongue.

Is this normal? Is there specific things I should avoid when breaking the fast?

Need to build muscle. Fast first if you want, but then eat protein and lift or do bodyweight stuff for hypertrophy to avoid starving child look

How long was the fast? The longer the fast the more you need to be careful about refeeding. Research refeeding after a fast and start with small amounts of mild, non acidic, non spicy food, gradually working back to normal amounts and variety

what did you eat?

Will I still get the benefits of fasting if I have one protein shake a day?
Just one scoop of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard mixed with water, about 130 calories and 1.8g of carbs.

If your goal is getting into ketosis then it might mess you up. If your trying to cut then fast all the way with no calories

Why would it mess up my ketosis if I'm only consuming 1.8g of carbs? I thought you could go up to like 20g of carbs and still go into ketosis.

Are you water fasting?

>feels guy
you have to go back

I'm currently only drinking water, rooibos tea and the one protein shake after cardio. Is the one scoop bad enough to fuck up all my effort?

he is literally called feels guy or wojak
you go back

I'm 22 hours into my fast

Should I push for 24?

It's so easy I'm not even hungry at all

Just keep going until you feel hungry.
At that point keep going till you don't feel hungry.
Then stop when you start feeling hungry again.

As long as you are lifting and burning more calories then you put in, you should be all right.

Ok thanks user.

I'm doing AFD and looking to lose 20lb by december, I'm 5'11 192lb about 20%. I'm starting greyskull lp and have been doing bodyweight suff and running 5miles 2 times a week and running 3 miles 3 times a week. Is losing 20lbs by December a realistic goal, or could I lose even more by then?

No, he's right, you have to go back

>people think 16/8 is "fasting"
Come on, just skipping breakfast is not magical and won't make you reap any benefits of real fasting. I do 20/4 IF for convenience and I can cut or bulk on it as I need, skipping meals is not magical and the caloric balance matters more.
Try fasting for 24 (which is not hard at all) to 72 hours sometimes. If you find it difficult, stay on a reduced feeding window IF schedule for some time until you get used to it.

On topic question: do any of you actually lift during prolonged water fasts? Is it stupid or of any use at all? I'm planning 7 days long fasts sometimes but I don't know if I should lift.

Actually no, don't take protein shakes. Calories trigger a hormonal response that will make your "fast" not go as intended and you will just feel like shit. That is like an extreme regular cut, not like a fast.

>10 hours into fast
>Getting a cold

Fuck sake that timing, its my first fast over 24 hours, should I stop until I am better?

I always lift on prolonged fasts, keep those muscles engaged, but dont expect new PRs

Its just a cold user you wont die
Eating actually makes you more sick contrary to popular belief

Bump, would like an answer as well

Yes

Depends on if you're willing to change your non-fasting days to 16:8 or 20:4, I'm doing OMAD with a 2day every other week on keto and have lost 40 pounds so far

I WILL NOT FUCKING BREAK. EATING FOOD IS FOR FAGS

Close to four days now fasted. Already lost 5 kilos, half of that probably water and shit. Looking at results people have had on their long term water fasts, 0.5 kilos/day seems attainable.

>a tdee 3500cal/day
Just how big are you, aoon?

are there any other pictures in existence of stefan smiling or is this the only one?

193cm/100kg, went from 105 to 100. I go to the gym and take a walk every other day but I'm not sure my tdee is that high.

look at this post
That guy is losing more than half a kilo a day and he is smaller than me.

>can never be too thin

>14 days

It was okay.

>5x5 meme lifts here
Stats:
>5'4" manlet
>143 lbs
>lmao1pl8 squats
Been lifting for 4 months, and I'd like to go from 18~% to 14~%. Is fasting the way to go?

Any water fasters deal with nausea? I fasted for a week straight 4 weeks back and I had severe nausea and fatigue. The only reason I stopped was because school was starting and i didn't want to miss any on the first week. I took multivitamins and walked about 4 miles a day. I have a bmi of 40 if that means anything. Maybe I need potassium and magnesium supplements or to just wait it out? I was starting to feel a little better at the end. Wish I didn't pull the plug, I was actually enjoying it. The no food was easy for me, it was just that sickness and tiredness that fucked me up. I'm thinking about starting again.

So let me get this straight.

You pick a period of time to eat a certain amount of calories and you set your diet, and a period to fast.

E.G fast 20 hours, eat 4 hours.

So to get a schedule for working out on the gym, the workout preferably should be after the eating schedule, right? Also, the nutrients, supplements should be taken during the eating period right? 'Cause like, if you take them with an empty stomach you might upset it, cause nause etc.

If I do 5x5 and a 23:1 fast will I lose too much muscle or will I be ok?

You won't lose muscle because your body is going to take protein from your brain for it.

Were you definitely drinking enough water? Were you taking in salt too?

How do people do IF/Fasting when they are routinely getting laid? I find my performance is severely diminished if I do any sort of serious fasting routine. It was okay when I was plowing through random Tinder sluts, but I'm in a serious LTR with a pretty high value girl and don't want to give away any of my power.

Anyone having sex and also successfully fasting?

Does having sex once a week counts?
If so... you just need to work on your stamina senpai.
Not having trouble myself on that department.

this would be fine for prolonged fast?

I read a few studies and articles about prolonged fasting and, from what I've gathered, there is some muscle loss if the time is long enough. I don't lift and I want to lose weight before I start. I'm not overweight perse, but I do have a substantial amount of fat on me that I'd like to get rid of.

Realistically speaking, if I fasted for two weeks, would any muscle loss be substantial, or would it be negligible?

Last week was a bust, with busy schedule and wedding on the weekend (which served ice cream the entire time) and I only lost like 1-2 pounds. I've been good with OMAD the past month, but for my penance I'm just having a shake and Greek yogurt as my only intake all week. ~700 calories, a decent portion of that protein.

In brighter news I finally got belay certified at the climbing gym

If you don't lift, or have a background in it, a lot of the beginner gains are more your nervous system getting better, not you gaining more muscle. Lifting also burns calories and setting up the habit of going to the gym would be a great thing now, too.

It's never a bad idea to lift

No I drank only water and took men's daily multivitamins. I wasn't aware of salt intake and all the magnesium and potassium.

Heartburn/gastric reflux?
Avoid spicy/greasy/caffinated foods and alcohol and cigarettes
Dont overdo it on the indigestion remedies because you can get acid rebound.
However for one off treatment best looking for a raft forming(look for sodium alginate on label if unsure) antacid liquid at the store which should stop stomach contents refluxing up and irritation your throat
Wouldnt bother with proton pump inhibitors or H2 receptor blockers unless a long term problem in which case you should see your GP.

t.pharmacy student

Not him but also a first-timer. How often should I be fasting?

Your HGH will spike at least 300% and your protein req will be lower because of the 4-5 hours of autophagy, just workout an hour before the meal

300% during mere 23h fast? Bullshit

I've heard (what I assume is broscience) that if you fast too often your body gets used to getting less calories and as a result metabolism slows down. Is there any validity to this statement, and if so what is the ideal fasting length and frequency?

Actually when you fast your metabolism SPEEDS UP

Source: OP link

I can feel the flu coming on, going to skip my meal today and see how I fare, since allegedly fasting can improve a body's recovery ability in regards to sickness. Will report back tomorrow.

I did finally get back to working out yesterday from my injury break though, very little DOMS, which was corroborated by a recent high intensity health interview

youtube.com/watch?v=MQpsFTVAqpA

however I drank too much coffee and white tea and may have limited my growth potential

Did you even read the OP and get a complete understanding of the metabolic processes and changes brought about by fasting?

L-THEANINE?
Anyone else take ti with your coffee? Wondering since its an amino acid if it will interrupt autophagy while fasting? I think not but was wondering if anyone could answer.

32 hours into a fast, originally started fasting because I needed to get bloodwork done but decided to just see how far I can go.

Is salt the only supplement I need? I also have some potassium supps because I don't get enough in my regular diet. How do you guys adjust your workouts? Volume reduction or what? For some reason I feel like I have quite a bit of energy now and want to do some cardio, would yohimbine be an issue with extended fasts?

you dont need salt unless ur fasting for like 5 days

dose salt how you need, feel out your electrolytes and potassium, some people need em on day 2, some can go a few days, rule of thumb: if you feel bad or nauseous, pink himalayan salt/electrolytes in your water, if you still feel like shit after an hour, just abort it.

How to break three-week-long fast?

you're doing hard workouts during your fasted state?

a small cup of veggies 3-4x throughout the day.

also post before / after

I will do that in three weeks, user. Planning to start in two days.

see u in 2.5 days xD

i'm about 2 days into a fast, prolly gonna stop either tomorrow or thursday afternoon cuz i got a date

Hey, team. I forgot to eat during my feed time. What do I do?

Eat.

Duh.

Oh. Okay.

>24 hour fast
>sitting at work
>coworker gives me a small bottle of maple syrup
>think nothing of it
>3 hours later, thinking about programming problem
>open the little maple syrup and take a small lick
>realize I broke my fast without thinking
RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. DONT PUT SNACKS ON YOUR DESK WHILE FASTING