What historical period are you studying/interested in as of lately?

What historical period are you studying/interested in as of lately?

Attached: costantino.jpg (313x448, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DdS9M7oSVOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Third servile war and basically the Mediterranean world of 100-1 BC.

The HRE during Frederick II's reign

The Dutch East Indies Company in Southeast Asia.

the postmodern age from 9/11 onward

Imperial Rome in general.

I've found that my knowledge of Rome basically ends the moment Caesar gets the shanks.

Yugoslav Wars
It was such a clusterfuck.
I want to understand the whole process.

I'm maturing into the Minoans while planning a leap to the Lydians.

Medieval Ireland

I don't study history, I study Veeky Forums.

HRE under Charles V and France under Henry II.

Yuan/Ming/Qing dynasties

The French Revolution, big time.
There's just so much great literature surrounding it.

Russian revolution to civil war

Early Rome is comfy

Prehistoric to Early Medieval non-Mediterranean Europe

Cold War outside of Europe/Asia

Fatimid North Africa

Congress of Vienna period

The Early modern period and the rise of absolutism in Europe

Is that the statue of Constantine outside York Cathedral?

Studying cold war Argentina for school, recently for that American civil war bug for some reason though

Late Antiquity/Early Medieval yurup

Good luck , that has so many damn factions it's hard to keep it together

Revisiting my WW2 history, mostly.

The end of the end of history.

Tiglath-Pileser III. The greatest being to walk this earth

This.
From kingdom to early republic
Comfy af

Attached: 20180305_105932.png (1440x1435, 2.41M)

Yes
actually it's one of my favourite representations of Constantine, the first being the colossal statue

I've been trying to get further into Kingdom, but it's kind of hard to find good/easy to read sources on the matter.

Modern Indian History. I'm mostly focusing on Indira Gandhi as people hold her as the shining example of female leaders, but the more I learn, the more of I think of her as a nutty bitch. But I do think her intervention in Bangladesh was a good thing.

Yeah, that's a problem
Most of the stuff about the kings period is either myth or mostly made up after the burning of the original sources during the first sack of Rome, but you can still find some obvious fact surrounding the made up stuff

Whoops, this was meant for you

Chinese history is confusing but also really interesting
The Qing also had a really badass anthem, but only for two month or so sadly

If you're intrested in proto-greek history, i suggest you look into the Cycladic civilization

Attached: IMG_20180314_220600.png (474x863, 344K)

Yeah it's a shame a lot of things were lost in the first sacking of Rome. Camillus was an amazing man. Camillus and the people of Rome rebuilding Rome is by far the best example of that Roman spirit

same—what're you reading?

Read this

Attached: 2287641.jpg (310x468, 30K)

War of the three kingdoms (English civil war)

Since I'm a Romanlet I'm starting out with Livy and I finished book I today which feels good.

History of 14th century Bohemia, apparently.

Currently going through the entire history of Byzantium.

Next moving back to my normal area of Classical Rome by reading all of Livy

Then I plan to take a break from antiquity/medieval history, and I want to learn about the First World War and all the politics surrounding the years leading from Napoleon to the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire

I'm a fan of the Republic since the Romans are unrelenting maniacs who happened to make everything civilized in their own goddamn way. Imperial Rome is nice, but its all downhill quickly after the death of Alexander Severus. It's like watching a sad old boxing champ getting up after getting sucker punched repeatedly.

Attached: LetMeTellYouAboutTheRomans.jpg (736x850, 164K)

Got some addition resources you can recommend to me ?
I'm using the Historical Penguin Atlas to Ancient Rome but it hasn't really found much use yet.

L A T E A N T I Q U I T Y

Attached: late roman horsies meme.jpg (600x493, 135K)

Watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=DdS9M7oSVOg

First and Second Chechen wars

Attached: b16793_5725725.jpg (5100x3341, 1.96M)

Age of discovery/exploration

good taste

But why

Late mid 19th century (up to the spitting of Africa)

Depends. What exactly are you looking for in a source? Rome is such a massive subject it’s hard to recommend just one thing. If you’re a beginner, I’d check out “Caesar” by Adrian Goldsworthy, since he’s such an accessible writer, but one who actually never really crosses that line into “Pop Historian”. I usually recommend Roman newbies to the period of Julius Caesar since it’s so well documented and written about.

There’s also the History of Rome Podcast, which goes through the entire history up till the deposition of Romulus Augustus. It’s good stuff.

you need to read some of the shit by samuel eliot morison. some of the best books, not just history, ive ever read

Paris commune of 1871.
Pretty interesting my dude, the music that came from it even better.

Wow... I actually watched the whole thing.
Very good documentary... what a clusterfuck. The Bosnian President comes out looking like the most reasonable there imho.

The Croatian President comes off as a real scumbag though.

>There’s also the History of Rome Podcast, which goes through the entire history up till the deposition of Romulus Augustus. It’s good stuff.
He believes the evil Caligula meme though

I thought only the 'evil Nero' and 'evil Domitian' memes were false though.

Just finished listening to the History of Rome, what should I listen to next?

Caligula was the enemy of the Roman elite who were also the ones who wrote the history. Later emperors also slandered previous dynasties to make themselves look better in comparison. Mike Duncan isn't bad though. The podcast is a decent start for those who know nothing. He's definitely a cut above others since he acknowledges that Suetonius loves gossip a bit too much.

I'm really into the 60's right now.

Specifically the late 60's, just so much interesting shit going on. You have the Vietnam war, hippie and anti-war movements, the Civil Rights movement. All kinds of shady political shit going down, the American people becoming aware of how shifty their government actually is. Crazy drug use everywhere. Woodstock. The CIA doing shady coups and shit everywhere. The Cold War. The whole decade is endlessly fascinating. Particularly compared to the 50's, it's like the US just went fucking insane. And the whole thing is set to some of the best music ever made.

Attached: 620790.jpg (1500x1014, 201K)

Yeah I've listened to the whole podcast actually, working my way through his 'Revolutions' podcast now. I thought it was generally accepted in academia that Suetonius, Tacitus, Cassus Dio et al are fairly unreliable and biased?

Bronze Age Ireland and Mithridatic War Anatolia.

Suetonius is probably the biggest offender but then you run into the Herodotus paradox where you know he's bullshitting but you can't prove it because we don't have an alternative.

Herodotus even claims that he doesn't believe everything he wrote but he heard it so he wrote it down. It's good that he did, since he didn't believe things like the Phoenicians circumnavigate Africa but his statement about their observation of the sun helps prove it.

But the Third Century is where it starts to get good mang. The fact that they not only survived the crisis, but emerged to be even stronger in the 4th century than they were in the 2nd, is incredible. And you have stories like the reign of pic related which would seem absurd if they didn't actually happen. It's after Valentinian's death that everything goes to shit, not Alexander Severus.

Attached: Aurelian.jpg (229x216, 34K)

>Suetonius
>The attitude of Suetonius toward Germanicus's personality and moral temperament is that of adoration. He dedicates a good portion of his Life of Caligula to Germanicus, claiming Germanicus's physical and moral excellence surpassed that of his contemporaries. Suetonius also says that Germanicus was a gifted writer, and that despite all these talents, he remained humble and kind
I'm inclined to believe him when he's talking about Germanicus since everyone praised the guy

The Chinese Warlord era

Archaemenid Empire

Early church. Anyone got any good documentaries ?

The Troubles.
Just goes to show that the eternal anglo can never be trusted.