Most Overrated Exercise

I contend that the Overhead Press (OHP) is by far the most overrated exercise relative to its spread among Veeky Forumsizens. It virtually only works the front delts.

What do you consider the most overrated exercise?

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/F_How_Youve_Grown_5-8.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bench press

weighted blowjob simulations

bench press

deadlift

dont @ me

bench press no contest

Okay

@42918064
Okay

You're either a retard or trolling. And probably don't OHP correctly. Saying it only works front delts is false.
grab your shoulder and do a side raise motion, feel the side delt working. Now do a shoulder press motion and, whats that? You feel the side delt working.

OHP works core stabalizers, front, side, and to some extent rear delts, upper back, traps, tricep long head, upper chest....

And yeah, good fucking luck building good delts without OHP

> being this new
Welcome friend

Among normies, bench press. In the fitness community, squats.

If you're going to go as far as include "core stabilizers" in the muscles worked, name one compound exercise that works fewer muscles, pro-tip you can't

chinups

>being this wrong

I'm right, faggot

i agree

Do it with dumbbells or a trap bar to get more lateral delts activation. Or just do lateral raises

Doing chin-ups works your traps, deltoids, lats, splenia, levators, suprapinata, rhomboids, serrata, the list goes on

lmao if you say so retard

pretty terribly organized bar chart

god, kinesiology fags are so fucking dumb.

>lmao retard
This is the words of someone who just got BTFO

OHP is kind of like a vestigial tail left over from circus strongman days
They were really only included in SS and the other programs because they didn't want reveal the fact that those programs were just lowerbody focused programs.

I always power clean it up though.

Bench press.

Weighted chin ups are extremely taxing on the body, they work tons of muscles

Why does that matter?

>Seated dumbbell press

>Seated row

>Lat pull down

OHP focus will result in a better physique than bench focus. Bodybuilders like steve reves knew this very well. Big shoulders add more to your frame than big pecs.

Steve Reeves was on gear user.
And he did more then just OHP.

>It virtually only works the front delts.
user I...

you're right

front delts get enough volume from horizontal pressing, side and rear delts don't get anywhere near enough volume unless they are isolated anyway

Yeah no shit he was on gear! No shit he did more than just OHP!

The point is they prioritized OHP over bench. They did it more often And they are were far more aesthetic

Just lean back a bit and it also hits upper pecs

it hits the clavicular head mildly, with much lighter loading than an incline bench press

the overhead press is primarily a front delt and tricep exercise (triceps can be loaded much heavier with bench variants), anything else it trains is secondary to those two things and if you OHP for upper chest development you are going to be sorely, sorely disappointed

>virtually only works front delts
>posts image showing it also works triceps, traps, and lateral delts
>also works clavicular head of the pectorals
What did you mean by this? OHP is a goat compound.

This

-grabs you by the throat- back the fuck off!?!?

The OHP is literally god's chosen lift.

samefag female detected

How do I get those traps and Neck ?!

>>posts image showing it also works triceps, traps, and lateral delts
All compound movements will work some muscle groups secondarily. Do you know what "virtually only" means?

Lmao you just stalled on OHP, didn't you?

Its probably the best overall upper body mass builder to combine with the bench. Even if you treat it as an accessory lift there still is literally no reason not to do it.

No, I didn't stall more than usual. I thought OHP is a perpetual stall exercise? It took me like two months to go from 40 to 42.5 kg on OHP, I thought this was pretty normal?

Elder God tier
>BTN push press

God tier
>Push press

High tier
>Z-press from pins at chin level

Mid tier
>seated DB press

Low tier
>oh heich pee

Shit tier
>Rippetoe's original "The Press" (TM)

OHP is so fun bro. come on git gud

How the fuck did that take months? Do you only OHP once a week?

handstand push up is legit as fugg, bonus really hanging upside down you don't feel like the exercise is making your shorter and no strain on the spine/lower back. front/lateral delts get blown up, wrists and core become strong.

>you don't feel like the exercise is making your shorter

What chimp made such an unorganized chart?

Also, you can overload way more on a barbell exercise. Even if this was true (which I doubt - no source?), you can lift far more weight on barbell. More weight = more gainzzzzz

pretty much a given if you're doing OHP or squat you should be stretching afterwards. Humans without any weight compressing their spine shrink on average half an inch just from gravity alone until they rest and recover, but overtime those loses become permanent. You'll lose probably 2 inches to an 1 1/2 inches of height over your life time. If you're chucking up large weight and compressing your spine you're exacerbating the issue. stretching out is a must.

That's not how the spine works, user.... I .... what

Squats.

Not baiting, not trolling. I unironically believe this.

bench

>i'm lifting 80kgs with only my front delts
yeah, no

>tfw getting my ass sore from doing standing hammer curls

It's not just you, most non meme coaches would agree.

I've got pretty good shoulders and I do a lot of pressing.
I've switched OHP for push press and have gotten over my plateau, whereas with OHP progress was so slow it was unbearable. Less pain and feels more natural too.
Combine that with some cheating lat raises and your shoulders will be destroyed.

yes it does

nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/F_How_Youve_Grown_5-8.html

what stretches would you recommend? I'm not that user, but any stretch is a good stretch

At that weight you really shouldn't be stalling

> mfw I can gain 2 inches by spending only a few years in the cold vacuum of space

Holy shit I need to become an astronaut

Back squats full ROM only mode. While a great exercise for every sport other variants are just as good or better. Front squats are arguably better for most athlete and yokes and prowlers are more sport specific. I'd argue split squats are better for the average joe who just wants to look good or not be fat. Nothing wrong with them but they're hypermemed and have to many people who treat them as the only leg exercise.

@you