OHP appretiation

What is the best upper body lift and why is it the overhead press?

Also for discussion: good OHP to bench ratios, programming, technique, frequency and general appretiation thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=how much does full keg weigh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OHP'ing bodyweight is impressive. Benching 2x bodyweight is impressive as well. You should be able to bench 2x your OHP

Z press > OHP imo

>Better shoulder engagement
>No cheating possible with legs or via arching
>Thus can't hurt your back in the same way
>Highlights lack of and improves thoracic mobility
>Big Z loves this shit
>DB variant gives a brilliant pump

Is I ohp once a week as well as bench, can I still keep both lifts up?

Rippletits recommends 2:3 ratio, I roughly fit this, but I concentrate all my attention on overhead work and just bench once a week, with minimal chest assistance work

Guys, give me all your cues for OHP, I'm stalled af at 95

how tf does it engage shoulders better

How? Idk, but try and you'll feel it

you can hurt your back much more with it, since sitting down puts a lot more pressure on discs versus standing

t. 2 herniated discs

my vote goes to

push press volume + singles
strict ohp
db ohp

>do you feeeeeel it mr. Krabs?

If you cant feel your shoulders working in a 185 press you are clearly doing something wrong.

Big Z doesn't use it

im a gay retard, what is a z-press?

I was stuck there too. I deloaded and increased volume which seemed to help. I'll also split the weight up: as many sets as I can at the new weight, then finish the workout at the old weight.

>best upper body lift
>posts full body lift

>tfw ohp is my fav lift but can't do it cause my dumbass fucked my shoulder with BTN OHP
regret is real

I train for strongman and Highland games. So OHP is my main upper body. These are my suggestions for getting an ok OHP (185 push press, 155 strict)

>incline press is my accessory of choice, you should be able to do it heavier than the OHP and for more reps so I do it for volume, I never use it as a main one.
>push press is a different lift, train it separately don't consider an accessory or OHP and accessory to it, its all technique too
>you should be doing rear delts and rows every session, a strong upper back will massively boost your press
>I don't much carry over behind lag raises and press strength but they shouldn't hurt it either
>don't neglect your core

pic related

its actually great for your core

100kg strict OHP here
Ask me anything

How long?

Bench, dips, Chins, and rows are all better than OHP. It's not even the best delt exercise.

How?

I do one armed resistance band OHP. I find that is has no real carry over to barbell OHP but I stopped caring when I learned getting bench press up hits the front delts hard as fuck. I do the band OHP for therapeutic value mainly. To make sure I have a vertical press and it feels good on my traps, serratus and shoulders. It also hits the middle delts more because I can press slightly behind my ear and the pressing path is more natural because it's not constricted by the limitations of gravity.

Fancy posting pics? Wanna see what someone who focuses on overhead instead of bench looks like.

*Appreciation
I can finally do strict OHP 1pl8lmao 1x5. I honestly can go heavier but I'd rather not fuck my back up. I started doing more rows and db rows and raises & arnold presses to help with OHP once i stalled at 35lb pl8.

We're all going to make it lads.

I'm a skinny fat lanklet looking fucker. I'm willing to say I look completely unimpressive.

Adding to that, I do bench but it's mostly accessory to me. Weekly I'll do 3x6 wide grip, 3x6 incline press (this is specifically to overload my OHP, I keep it close or above my OHP max); and each session I'll do 4x20 dumbbell floor presses, I got the idea from clint darden, pec and trim volume which never hurts and done in a way that won't injure or wear my shoulders down too much.

possible his grip is too wide

What did you start with and when did you first stall ?

>an ok OHP
>185 push press, 155 strict
please tell me those are in kg

Just a reminder that if you can't The Press a full one of these, you are DYEL.
There are no exceptions to this rule.

thanks, user

not him but I also press 225lbs. took me nearly 3 years starting at probably 80lbs. first and only noticeable plateau was around 185lbs, which I got over by doing jerks and negatives (with more weight than I could strict press)

holy shit same here. I've been OHPing 95 for legit months.

your 1 rep max for OHP is a 45lb bar with one 25lb plate on each side?

who the fuck includes the bar's weight?

You're lifting the bar bro

>who includes the weight of the bar in the weight you lift

>tfw just started lifting a month ago and i'm repping 1pl8 already
>tfw i would trade shoulder genetics of peace for longer arms

who wanna trade

I OHP 1-2 x a week and have been stagnant for months on 5x5. I'm barely getting 135 right now and the most I ever hit was 145. What am I doing wrong?

>who the fuck includes the bar's weight?
Literally everyone.

yeah im lifting the bar, but i dont include its weight in stating/tracking my lifts

maybe he's twelve, dumb fgt

155 strict is pretty good if he's repping it

>1-2x a week
that's the problem. press twice a week. add press assistance work - incline bench, dumbbell press, z press etc. Assuming here that only the press is stalled and you're eating and sleeping fine.

Currently stuck at 1pl8 for 3 reps, what can I do to help it get past this plateau

No, 10 reps 25 each side x 4 sets

managed 135x2 a few weeks ago, started cutting down so i'm down to 130 again but I should be back up soon enough, definitely a favourite lift

nowhere near 2/3/4 though

Planning to focus more on OHP during my push days. What accessory lifts should I include? Would this be any good?

Db press
Incline bench
Lateral raises
Face pulls

Close grip, I put the bend of my thumb on the inside edge where the knurling stops, but I'm also like 6'4 with a decently wide frame so this may be different for you. Just try to literally grip it with at least half of your hand covering the front of your shoulder.

Brace (obviously)

Flex your glutes as hard as possible

Press up and slightly back, pushing your head through.

Also this might be a little extra for a 95lbs presser but before I press really heavy I picture myself pressing the bar hard as fuck, like so hard if the bar hit the rack the rack would get lifted too. When I do it now I can literally feel my shoulders getting activated before I even get set up.

What weight class are you? I agree with all your advice but those numbers seem kind of low competing is strongman/highland.

how do you compete in strongman when you strict OHP less than at least 185 lbs,, hopefully you're repping 155 lbs for 8 so I can be wrong

>tfw ohp almost as much as i bench
Stacking wood for work has a few advantages. If only my bench wasnt garbage

eat

I love OHP but can't do it with a traditional barbell, shoulder problems.

BUT, a rare piece of gym equipment does allow me to do it. A Swiss bar, also known as a football bar. Basically it allows me to use a neutral grip on the OHP and my shoulders feel fine and it works the delts. Basically like the strongman's log press, but a different apparatus. It's pretty legit, but the problem is that most gyms don't have a Swiss bar

Is that a Jerkstore gif?

btn?

behind the neck

no. that's why people do ppl.
twice a week.

Because I suck at strongman. I'm 6'2@220 and done one contest for both. I got last in both. But I couldn't call myself a wannabe strongman until I competed. I placed middle of the pack for moving events and did good on a sandbag medley, got 1 rep in a clean and press for max attempts.

I train for highland games as well and holy shit those are some pathetic stats, my friend.

>2pl8 ohp
>3pl8 bench

And I'm only just entering A division.

How much does it weigh?

>longer arms
You know how I know you're a manlet?

that's not really that accurate, it's a lot harder to progress on OHP than it is on bench

Pin and pause presses are AMAZING for bottom strength, and since I kind of suck at using leg drive on my push presses I only use it for lockout work since I can still lift heavier than strict obviously. Just by doing that I took my 125 for 3x5 (and struggling hard as fuck to get it off my chest) to 150 for 3x3 off of pins as of today. Short term goal is 185 for a single, so I think I should be able to get it in about a month, if not less.

What is the difference between ohp and seated db shoulder press?
Which one works the shoulder more?

>bodyweight
>bodyweight
>bodyweight
>bodyweight
>xbodyweight

Are you a dung beetle? Because that's who rules relative strength, fucking insects. Are you weaker than a beetle?

lmgtfy.com/?q=how much does full keg weigh

150, easy
Can do for reps

It def separates the men from the boys. My friend weighs 240 lbs at 5'9 and thinks he's tough because he's big (read: fat). The first time i took him to the gym, he couldn't even ohp 95 lbs for five reps.

At his size, that's weak af

>You should be able to bench 2x your OHP
I weigh 175lbs
I can OHP 175x5, but I can only bench press 260x5
I don't think they scale 2-1

>it separates the men from the boys

You know if your strict ohp is less than 2pl8, you're one of the boys, not the men.

Do you have to levitate while doing it?

I was stuck hear for a long time. Then some ripped mexican guy told me my grip was too narrow, he showed me to do it a bit wider, and now I'm nearly at 1 pl8. Thankyou Mexican gym guru.

So I've been doing stronglifts and already stalled on OHP at 100lbs. How do I get better?

hit ohp more frequently than 1-2 times a week and incorporate higher volume sets with lighter weights

How many reps/sets should I do?

It's so funny how you're saying the best pressing exercise is an exercise that Veeky Forums doesn't even know because they are all basic. IMO it's a great tool to teach proper pressing mechanics but I wouldn't substitute it for OHP. Great shoulder rehab though

Because you have zero leg drive, hip extension, lumbar extension and you're forced to have thoracic extension and an upright chest with the elbows forward (flexion/scaption instead of pure abduction)

>strongman/Highland games
>185 strict press
Whew I hope you don't compete or a femanon

*Appreciation

It sounds like your dress may have gotten tucked into your vagina.

Post shoulders please.

Yes, just keep your core tight and use your glutes to get airborne.

Don't talk about my fuckin' glutes you faggot.

Not him
220 strict

Pay no mind to the bird lips I've got

birds have beaks

trip on boardshorts

I've been stuck on 55kgs for 2 reps and 4 sets for ages, thinking of deloading/dropping 10kg and doing more reps for a couple of weeks than work my way back up

you obviously pulled that number out of your ass lmao

to progress ohp fast i just do the rep slower and pause at the bottom, it really activates the shoulders more, youll have to use a lighter weight but u wont have to keep stalling as much it helped me get through 115lb platuea

I can bench press 90kgx1 but i can ohp 70kgx2

lies

the pump from OHP dropsets feels so good. you feel like you have 3D cannonball roid superhero delts for a few mins

great physique pham. how to forearms?

I train OHP twice a week at the moment, once heavy and once lighter but for volume. I also train bench in a similar manner (eg Day 1 is heavy OHP + light bench, Day 2 is the opposite.) I do high volume lat raises twice a week, and plenty of back works (band pull aparts 3x weekly, rows or chin ups every session, deads as well.)

I was wondering what would be good to do on the third day? DB incline bench or push press being the ones on the top of my list. Which of these would help my OHP the most or am I overthinking it?

standing OHP(assuming correct form) is honestly best for "lateral/side delt" hypertrophy. better than lat raise with db or cable or anything. pressing movements will take care of anterior delt, back stuff and reverse flyes will take care of rear delt. standing OHP is best for side/overall delt development

Push press is locking out is your weak point. Incline press (DB or BB) has, in my experience, an overall carryover to ohp cause it kind of mimics the movement, just hitting it at a different angle upwards. Although my experience depends from person to person. Hope that helps dude

All I feel is pain like they cramp, is this normal? It gets easier when i flex or hang on the pull-up bar for a while.

multiple studies say you're wrong

A swiss bar has neutral grip handles a football bar has angled handles. I only bench with football bar it's much easier on my shoulder joint but hits the front delts just as hard. Football bar is a game changer. For OHP I'd much rather use a trap bar from spotter pins inside a rack so that you don't have to press around your head/move head out of way. Trap bar OHP is a more efficient bar path and recruits the elusive middle delts more.