Has anybody gotten big arms with calisthenics alone?

I'm sitting at 15 pullups and 40 pushups but my arms are still two wet noodles hanging from my shoulders. How do I get pumped Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

jap.physiology.org/content/early/2016/05/09/japplphysiol.00154.2016
armstrongpullupprogram.com
youtube.com/watch?v=VYgVTinbx_A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

E A T M O R E

bitter cycle user. the more i eat the less pullups i can do :(

Chinups > Pullups if you are worried about arms.

>skinny twink
>starts with bodyweight
Lmao, bodyweight exercises are for fatties, not skellies. Fatties have more body weight to push/pull which means they can do calisthenics until they lose a bunch of fat and still gain strength and some muscle.

Eat more and lift actual weights for up to 8 reps. If you can do 40 pushups, you either weigh less than 150 lbs or you're doing them wrong and since you said your arms are noodles, it's most likely the former.

spot on. i'm sitting at 155. it seems like i'll have to start swinging weights.

Okay first thing first is you need to progressively overload to make hypertrophy gains. So When you could do 10 pull ups and 10 push ups you should have gone to a harder progression. Google some.

Also you have to do rows and dips to balance things out and you best be doing squats and deadlifts. Or at least pistol squats and hip bridges.

You can do some curls and tricep extensions at the end of your work out. Being a purist in either of the two is retarded.

hasn't it been established that rep range is unimportant for hypertrophy as long as you're maxing out? jap.physiology.org/content/early/2016/05/09/japplphysiol.00154.2016

beyond that yeah i'm just gonna go curlbro after my bodyweight shit

this is the only useful reply

Armstrong pullup program has been working well for me. My triceps and shoulders are getting way bigger since I replaced my weight lifting routine with it.
armstrongpullupprogram.com

you know honestly I got this crazy pump from using a resistance band under my foot and then did like 100+ curls at like 5lb resistance. I really want to try doing something like this as an actual routine for awhile and see what my results are.

Your muscles get bigger the stronger they get. If you work out in the endurance rep range you will gain muscle but not as much as you would if you put the muscles through a heavier work load

You can buy a 40ibs weight vest for 60 dollars

P R O G R E S S I O N S
when you get 3x8 pushups you move on to pseudo planche pushups or ring pushups, whatever brings you closer to a bodyweight skill goal. you dont just bang out endless reps of whatever

i too have experienced resistance band pump - please report your findings to see if it actually works.

40 pushups is retarded, do progressions

what bugs me about these progressions is they aren't linear. like i can get archer pullups down but then I go back to regulars and they're shit

Bro, get a /homegym/, drink beer and steak and join the curlbro master race.

Wide grip pull ups are what you do before archer

No just lift. Calisthenics is for cool shit.

T. Guy who can do 10 struck hspu's

i should mention that those are max reps - typical day is 3x10 pseudo planche/maltese

I have and I am not fat.
If you are struggling with arms I suggest doing a lot of chin ups for biceps, ring chin ups if you have any. Focus on squeezing at the top because thats where the bicep is the most activated.
And for triceps I suggest you do tricep extensions like this
youtube.com/watch?v=VYgVTinbx_A
You can overload your triceps by making the exercise more difficult and if you can do it on an elevated surface you can increase the difficulty by the ROM.

psuedo planche push ups are not the best for focusing on triceps. They are much better for building shoulder strength.

yeah OP just get fatter and pretend you're putting on muscle mass

I've never seen more shit advice in one thread.

you want bigger arms? fucking target them. Arm day, get some dumbbells, proper form, get those bis pumped, get those tris destroyed. nothing else is going to grow them, no bodyweight routine will ever give you the results you're looking for if you want much big arms, no matter how much or how little you weight or how much you progress it will always be inferior to have a real dedicated arm day weight weights.

Neutral grip hits them harder than chins.

I also suggest doing weighted neutral grip

You'll develop your forearms more with pull ups. There is a chart that breaks down which muscles are getting the most during these 3 activities.

As for push ups... The wider you go the more you hit your chest. Doing close grip or diamond push ups will target your tris

Do dips if you can help it.

Also, your numbers dont mean jack. I dont care if you do 1,000 push ups. You should be using strict form, focusing on pushing or pulling with your muscle in a nice even and steady rhythm. Think of this as more of training your mind and nuscles to develop a connection together. Squeezing at the top, tightening your grip, etc.

Calisthenics really was never about the size. You'll see some amazing definition if you stick with it and keep your nutrition solid. Otherwise your fat or lack of proper nutrition won't give you much to show for

yeah bro lets pump those arms! Come one 1 more rep!!! SQUEEZE ARRRRR

If those exercises are so easy for you, switch to more challenging ones. I'm not big, but I have 14" biceps from calisthenics alone.

Do weighted pulls or go for one-armed. Do one-armed push ups.

This. There are variations that add to the benefits of those exercises. If you're just doing regular push/pull ups no shit you've plateaued.

I can do 70 push ups and only 7 pull ups
i have been doing pull ups for a long time but i can't increase the damn reps. What do i do? just "keep doing pull ups" is not working.

you didnt understand what he said at all lmao

Is that in a single set? Are you going to failure? My instinct tells me that you just do it and don't really put into consideration volume, rep ranges, sets, etc.

If you can do 7 pull ups in a single set, you should be doing 3 sets of pull ups trying to hit 3x8 to 3x12.

Switch to a more difficult push up progression. You're not getting muscular strength and are probably nearing your physiological max on push ups (I think).

my push ups are perfect and yeah i do 70 in one set
i am fucked up on pull ups, i really can't progress on this shit. it is always a challenge to me

Are you only doing a single set of pull ups? Because you should be doing more than a single set of pull ups.

>help i'm stalling at 7 pullups
>duhhhh ok try doing 8 pullups 3 times, den you can do more!! aduhhhhhhh

I don't see anything wrong with this. Just do more, faggot.

when the first post is also the best post

no i do 5 sets of 7 should i do more?

How come no one told me doing L sits would exhaust my back almost completely?!

>want to learn to do L sit to spice up training
>start doing it on parallel bars slowly learning
>start slowly doing static holds on pull up bar with me doing a pull up, holding the position and pulling my legs up to my chest then out and holding as long as possible
>do this getting better at it after a good month still cna't hold
>one day my calf feels like it's going to cramp but never does
>back starting to have spasms periodically
>don't understand what's going on till deadlift day
>do 4 plate, easy as pie but immediately after I'm done and walking to get a drink feel my back start to spasm and my calf trying to cramp up

I realized what it was when I stopped deadlifting and decided to end it with my pull up L sits and immediately felt my back spasm when I began to L sit.

I stopped them and my spasms have gone and my cramps in my calves are almost gone.

Thanks, GREAT advice!
P.S. You're gay.

wow, is that impressive now, to just make an L shape when you sit? pathetic. try lifting weights you lazy fag.

Oh. Okay. Now that I know what you're doing, I can give you some real advice.

*achem* So, there are a couple of things here. You can drop a couple of sets, and you numbers should increase. You should at least be able to do 3x8 at this point. But, if you're doing 5x7 you should probably be going to a more difficult variation at this point.

Make sure that you take some time off every once in awhile. If you are training hard every time, you might need a little extra time to recover. Alternatively, you might want to push yourself with a couple of negatives to really make sure you trigger the development response. You could also start adding weight in small increments, which could help.

If you're just looking for numbers, you can Grease the Groove. You do half your 1 set max a bunch of times throughout the day. Do that for some time (I'm not sure how long) and your numbers will definitely increase.

/r/bodyweightfitness has been my go-to resource for this stuff. I'm definitely an intermediate on this. To summarize, make sure you're eating and resting enough. Avoid the alcohol. Drop to 3 sets if you're going for endurance (I do 5 sets for exercises I can do less than 5 reps in). Try a harder variation. Grease the groove. Take a deload week.

Ignore the troll. L-sits are deceptively difficult.

I'm glad that I could help. A lot of people ask me if I am gay, and I've started to take it as a compliment.

I'm relatively big and strong. Favorite exercises for each respective muscle group include weighted dips, weighted pull-ups. I also finish with push-ups, close-grip push-ups (for triceps) on chest and tricep days.

So yeah even though I do a lot of weights stuff, I think that calisthenics exercises are essential. Problem is that to improve mass/strength you need to progressively overload, and if you're only doing body weight then this means many sets and tons of reps. Thus I prefer dips and pull-ups to be weighted.

I don't care about the troll but you fuckers should put a warning on these bodyweight shits that you shouldn't do them every fucking gym day. I was doing them every gym day because they're pretty fun so it was 3x a week and my back got so fucking exhausted it started to spasm and my calf was tightening up due to that exhaustion. I'm going to stop doing them on the pullup form for a good month but the parallel bars seem to be fine so I'll contine on those.

NO!!! BOTH OF THOSE WERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD NOT GOOD

Yeah, I'm not an expert nor do I write any real routines, recommendations, or routines. I think that's a good idea, and I'm glad that you weren't permanently injured. I do them on the floor, which I have heard are the best but is probably the most difficult to do. I just switched to tuck L-sit today and could barely manage a handful of seconds.

I appreciate the fact that you are invested in how I feel.

L-sit pull ups are different from regular L-sits. A regular L-sit should exhaust your core and some shoulders at most.