I certainly think that there should be an organised Neo-Hellenistic religious body that includes Stoicism as part of...

I certainly think that there should be an organised Neo-Hellenistic religious body that includes Stoicism as part of its core philosophy.

That said, I do not think that it would be something that would be popular outside of east asian nations that already have some degree of cultural familiarity with Confucianism.

I can not really see the atomised, selfish, childish people that comprise most of modern western society readily accepting ideas of self discipline, self sacrifice, civic virtue and (non-corporate/new age) spiritual-naturalism.

Attached: 1521047680160[1].jpg (2512x1721, 559K)

>Neo-Hellenistic religion
>East Asia
??

> can not really see the atomised, selfish, childish people that comprise most of modern western society readily accepting ideas of self discipline, self sacrifice, civic virtue and (non-corporate/new age) spiritual-naturalism.
/thread

religion and ethics are two different things

You are looking for monasticism

>Dudes we fucked up our societies! Now let's fuck up East Asia!

Wh*Teoid "reasoning"

>monasticism

Stoicism is compatible with acetic lifestyles, but it's not required of it.

>organised
>stoicism

They literally taught classes on this shit.

>organised
>stoicism

>self sacrifice

you are fucking spooked/cucked

They had entire schools devoted to teaching Stoic ideas. They had little buildings in the major cities.

I suppose that I'm rather flattered that someone turned one of my posts into a thread.
Even if I don't quite understand why.

>??
If a religion wants to have any sort of appeal, being universal in nature is simply the reality of the situation.
Besides, my point is that the people in east Asian nations already live under the cultural influence of Confucianism; This would make then more inclined to be receptive to Stoic ideas then the modern westerner for who the idea of anything beyond mindless and selfish consumerism is anathema to their understanding of the world.

I'm sure you would be more at home on some embarrassing subreddit filled with snake memes.

Attached: 1387733874031.jpg (821x1226, 140K)

Stoicism isn't a religion you tard.

I understand this may be quite difficult for you to process, my American friend.
But if you pay very special attention to the OP, you will see that I'm talking about incorporating Stoicism into a religious body.

My suggestion is that you try not to show off your American level of reading comprehension.

Stoicism lines up more with Buddhism than Confucianism.

Overall I certainly do not disagree with that (In-fact the Buddhist missionaries in the eastern mediterranean at the time of Stoicisms formation very likely had some degree of influence on it).
However those similarities to Buddhism are not what I think would cause your modern, average westerner to reject Stoicism.
It is the similarities to Confucianism that I believe the modern western psyche and meta-culture is simply too degenerated to accept.

Sounds not too dissimilar from certain views of Christianity, OP :^]

Christians looted Greek philosophy and added a bunch of new concepts that are either unneeded or counter to stoicism.

>We need to be more like the Ching Wing Bug people.

Attached: Tang strategic victory.png (1524x935, 212K)

i don't see the need for the trappings of Hellenic culture. Stoicism can survive on its own. Through Christianity, and Alcholics Anonymous, we can see that stoic concepts are quite popular.

A stoic community can work in the real world. Small little community centers. Nothing special. Like little churches. Guiding people, social gatherings, etc.

Our society is literally based on stoicism. You people just wanna larp as toga faggots.

Stoic ideas were influential, but we moved past them. We need to return to them.