What are some fair criticisms of Mark?

What are some fair criticisms of Mark?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DkCBWgwml7I
youtube.com/watch?v=xaEVDfDazI4
youtube.com/watch?v=sNSKqInTi_8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ecelebs are cancer.

would you take swimming lessons from someone that can't swim?
Would you fitness lessons from someone that can't fit?

He FAT xDxDxDDD

Heavy low bar back squats aren't the end all be all lift

Listening to him give lifting advice is like listening to boogie for diet advice

Post your 661lb diddly.

Kay

Beard makes him look like he fell asleep at a party.

his powerlifting numbers weren't competitive. he wasn't a very good powerlifter.

He's a powerlifter who's too set in his ways to change or meet the young lifters half way on certain things.

He's also more then willing to bullshit others to get them into the gym and strength training.

That will only work for so long before people start asking questions and start thinking for themselves. Then he'll realize that he's alienated people from the gym and lifting and maybe even fitness in general.

Couldn't actually write a program past the intermediate stage
>Needed Kilgore (and Pendlay to some extent) for the first two editions of Practical Programming
>Needed Baker for the third edition
>Even people associated with him (mainly Feigenbaum and Baraki) believe the Texas Method is inappropriate to anyone

He can still squat and deadlift
More than most people his age, plus he can bust a 300 pound row

What bullshit? What alienation ?

The fact that he thinks wanting to look good is stupid or unmanly.

He's a mans man, plus it's true

that has literally zero relevance to what i said

He talks a metric fuckton of shit about litterally everyone.
He also makes crazy as fuck claims about his program that are just ridiculous.

When people realize that he was full of it and they don't get the results they wanted they get pissed and they bolt.

He wasn't that bad his total was in the 1600s I think.

And he can still deadlift 500 at 60 years old

youtube.com/watch?v=DkCBWgwml7I

Fuck, I meant novice stage, not intermediate.

1. Does Not believe in global warming
2.claims to be open minded but alienates vegans and other specific types of people

3. Way to set in his way and too old to be open minded

4. Dude has a sense of humor and try's to cut the bullshit out of most Anything

okay fatty.

in the 220s. where 1600 isn't very competitive. i'm not shitting on the guy and saying he fucking sucks, why are you guys shitting your pants trying to defend him?

Are you a fucking pussy faggot or a vegan? Just kidding I know you're both, I bet you feel double discrimination because he tells to to stop being a pussy vegan and get strong. Fuck you, you retarded piece of shit, how fucking dare you even post here without pulling at least three plates. I hope your kidneys tap out and you die after a fucking lentil binge, you worthless pile of cow shit.

I've gotten to a 450 deadlift, and a 345 high bar squat, and a 235 clean. This was with shit programing, I got injured and took some time off lifting, but now I'm back to lifting with SS, I'm not vegan but I do eat like 80% vegan since it's convinent as fuck and helps with general inflamation.

>24 posts
>14 posters
>not one person mentioning that he is a manlet

When will Veeky Forums learn?

HEEIP DRAAAVHE

He underappreciates the value of stretching in preventing injuries.

He can be quick to anger/disdain when interacting with the people on his message board, though it's hard to blame him, all things considered.

He makes the common mistake of assuming that because he is an expert in strength coaching that he is an expert in many other fields as well (you see this a lot among college professors, too).

He's a bit too non-chalant about pain/injury resulting from lifting. "Toughen up" is a common prescriptive.

That's really all I've got, as a devout SS apologist.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
youtube.com/watch?v=xaEVDfDazI4
youtube.com/watch?v=sNSKqInTi_8

>Vince Lombardi was a shitty football coach because he was never an elite player himself
Wow, you really changed my whole perspective. Now I understand that only the 0.1% of performers can coach anything.

>people ask for fair criticism
>get butt hurt about it
I never said he's a shitty coach, dumbass, I said he's a mediocre power lifter.

He has way too many shitty opinions that he doesn't want to give up or argue about for all the lifts.
Some of the best PL coaches disagree with his advice - and considering start that's have ifinitiy more medal winners under their hood (since Mark has 0), their opinion counts more.

Considering that these have infinitely more*

>can anyone give a fair criticism of this coach
>he was never an elite player
It's not a fair criticism. It's a pointless criticism. You might as well shit on his preference in steak, too, for as on topic as it would be to this thread.

He's a shitty powerlifting coach too who has never written a coherent program that works for anyone more advanced than a complete novice. And even then there are more effective novice programs than SS which doesn't really have enough volume and is basically a drawn out peaking program.

the OP does not ask for criticism as a coach. use your brain.

not impressed by the pull ups

>ask for criticisms of a famous strength coach
>hurrrrrrrr OP didn't mean as a coach
Okay

>what are criticisms of mark
>implying coaching is the only thing he's ever done
you're too stupid to talk to, i'm done here

D=Drink milk?

What's more effective than SS?

No you are, holy shit.

>what are some fair criticisms of [this movie director]
>he was never a very famous actor
WHO GIVES A SHIT? Are you autistic?

kek

literally no actual athletes (outside of fatass powerlifter 'athletes') use the lowbar squat because it has virtually no carryover

is Rippetoe the Woody Allen of powerlifting?

A smallest man can throw the biggest shade.

Pull-up video was made like 7 years ago.

SS + gallon of juice a day

>the texas method is worse than other intermediate strength programs, e.g. 5/3/1
>he completely dismisses cardio training and stretching

I still think that SS is the best program for strength training novices.

I also think that he has more coaching experience than a bunch of retards on a Mongolian goat breeding image board.

If you think you have better programming than him, open up your own gym, produce 30 years worth of training results and then we can have some real talk.

When's the last time you did 18 pull ups in a row? At his weight?

He totalled 1661 at 220 at 5'8". That's not great, and he admits it's not great, but it's a lot better than most people would have achieved at that height and weight.

(He's said recently that his biggest mistake was staying at 220 when a guy his height should really have moved up to 242 or even 275.)

Texas Method is functionally impossible to run unless you're a teenage male with absolutely perfect recovery and dietary compliance, and he did a terrible job of explaining that for way too long which probably wasted a lot of people's time, mine included.

His attitude is a bit shitty around certain topics, though considering how much shit he takes for stuff he never actually said, I guess that's understandable.

Yes

Most leading experts in any athletic field never really excelled in it to begin with, rip is actually an exception to that

>He underappreciates the value of stretching in preventing injuries.

This so much holy shit

>durr the squat is the stretch fer the squat

FUCK YOU MARK i had such terrible pain in my left quad while squatting until I started doing the limber eleven before my sets.

He thinks that beginners should train only 5-6 lifts while they are the group that benefit the most from variation.
His squat form is shit.
His power clean form is shit.
His programs(SS and TM) works very well for genetically gifted teenagers who eat 4000+ calories a day, and people think that means it works for everyone.

>beginners are the group that benefit the most from variation.
[citation needed]
>His squat form is shit.
[citation needed]
>His power clean form is shit.
[citation needed]
>His programs(SS and TM) works very well for genetically gifted teenagers who eat 4000+ calories a day, and people think that means it works for everyone.
30 year old here. I was a D&D nerd as a teenager, no athletic background. SS worked for me. I really do think it would work for everybody. Eating and lifting should, I believe, work for everybody, and that's all SS is. I can't speak for Texas Method since I haven't done it.

I've seen a couple videos of his where he claims that vertical jump height/explosive power is basically all genetic and it's impossible to increase your vert more than a couple inches through training. Is this bullshit? There's a bunch of other stuff that claims otherwise but I haven't found any hard science either way

Isn't this dude calling himself natty?
Also:
>barbell medicine
what the fuck is that name?

dude you're on /fit

you know what D stands for.

>pull ups
>Pull-up
It's chin-ups you fucking skellies. And he was 53 fucking years old in 2009 when the video was made. Let me see you do 17 bodyweight chin-ups. Piss off.

Most of written in this thread are pretty shit(defending him or not), but there are plenty valid ones that weren't even mentioned. People either idolize or hate him.
What simultaneously bothers and amazes me is the fact that, much like in this thread, people still are discussing/talking about him.
Best analogy to discussion about Ripp, everything he represents and he is associated with is as if would be still talking whether Radium is actually bad for you or not, it is just a nice beauty product that gives a gloomy and shiny looks.

Has he ever coached a winning athlete?

His programme is useless and indeed detrimental to anyone wanting more out of lifting than a squat and deadlift. If you want a bench, or to be healthier, or to look better, or feel better, his programme is dogshit.

He is happy to sell people down the river on his shit when they were interested in training for other reasons than squatting and deadlifting.

He's an asshole on a personal level.

His programme is shilled by fat, ugly, weak, shut-in losers on the fitness section of a Chinese data harvesting website, but is not recommended by anyone else in the world of physical fitness.

>>the texas method is worse than other intermediate strength programs, e.g. 5/3/1
A. 5/3/1 is dogshit
B. Rip specifically says to do his 4 day upper lower split and not the Texas method

This place is the only place that still talks about him. Everywhere else has moved on from the middle ages.

>B. Rip specifically says to do his 4 day upper lower split and not the Texas method
What routine is that? Post it here.

It's pretty much bullshit. There is generally less room for improvement in explosiveness than in strength, but you can still get a lot better if you know what you're doing, particularly if you don't have much experience. Personal experience: Before I started training for sprinting, my vertical was ~27". I was basically sedentary then, but swam for years before. Never played a running/jumping sport. Now, 2 years later, it's 34", despite not training for it specifically, and not peaked. The difference with a run-up is even more substantial. So there are definitely gains to be had.

Whats the difference between SS and SL, I'm doing an SL routine after about a year not lifting and I only lifted casually before that

yes, and his toxic attitude towards everything not in his domain as "pussy shit" is really bad if you're a teen and getting into lifting it rubs off on you there are so many noob lifters here who think they know everything there is to know because mark presents his program like the pinnacle of natty lifting

Intermediate 4 Day Split Model:

Competetive shot-putter model:

Monday
Squats and pressing exercises

Wednesday
Pulling exercises such as cleans and snatches, and other back work

Thursday
Squats and presses

Saturday
Pulling exercises

Competetive powerlifter model:

Monday
Bench press and related exercises

Wednesday
Squatting and deadlifting exercises

Thursday
Bench press and related exercises

Saturday
Squatting and deadlifting exercises

Intermediate 4 Day Split Template:

Monday (Bench Press and Related Exercises)
Bench Press 5X5 (Sets Across)
(Press Assistance)
Push Press 1X5
or Standing DB Press 2X8
or Kettlebell Jerk 2x8
or KB Push Press 2x8
(alternate among the four)
Chin/Pull Ups 3X12

Tuesday (Squats and Pulling Exercises)
Squats 5X5 (sets across)
Powercleans 5x3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)
GHR 5X10

Thursday (Press and Related Exercises)
Standing Press 5X5 (sets across)
(Bench Press Assistance)
DB Bench 3X6-12 (add weight when you get all 12)
Chin/Pull Ups 3x12

Friday (High Intensity Squat and Deadlift Exercises)
Front Squat 5X3
alternate weekly w/
Back Squat 3x1 or 3x2 or 3x3 (alternate rep scheme)

or
10x2 Box Squats (65% of 5x5 weight)

Bench Press 1x1 (to be done on weeks w/3x1 Front Squats. Eliminate Thursday bench on these weeks)

Deadlift 1X5

Thank you very much. Wanted to see this for a long time. Is this in Practical Programming?

Is there a hypertrohpy Version of it?

Yeah but what about the fucking 500lb deadlift you nonce?

Ws4b, 28free, Juggernaut beginners, Wendler 531 with jokersets, Alpha destiny natural enhanced, 2suns 531

I hope you have arguments to back up Your claims

>would you take swimming lessons from someone that can't swim?
How do you think these guys would place at the Olympic trials?