Leg strength training

Hi guys, Im from Veeky Forums,

How can I increase my leg strength?
I walk daily about 10km and I would like to know how can I increase my leg strength, stamina, endurance, stuff like that.
The thing is that if I walk for 1 month straight, 10km every day, I start to feel a small fatigue and I need to rest for like 2 days, which is bad for me.
I also mention that I would prefer for non-body building methods, as I do have some friends who are Ronnie Coleman sized but they can barely run because of their huge legs.
I choose to walk a lot because the city is very crowded and my car is too big for the city, and public transport is old, rusted and full of filthy old people who shit in the middle of the bus.
Also, I am fine with 10-12km per day, but anything above that starts taking it's toll on my legs.
I am a smoker but I don't really get tired, I mean I do tend to start gasping after some time but it's ultimately the legs that are stopping me.
Also, can someone recommend me some comfy shoes? Maybe some boots since winter is coming?

Much thanks!

In the meantime I shall post cars, so that I may bump my thread.

Sounds like you need a bike

Unfortunately I live in a city where we dont have the bicycle culture, with few lanes and even less of a respect towards them.
I do ponder from time to time about getting a bike for the weekend escapades tho.
I do have my doubts about it since the weekend bike community is made out of mostly 40 year old bussines men. Really powerful people from which you can learn lots of stuff, but they are also old af.
A yeah, one more thing : Ive never ridden a bike. I grew up without a family so nobody taught me how to do it. Can I still learn it? I mean, it cant be that much more difficult than driving a car, which I am pretty excellent at.

So all you guys from fit do is complain about no gf and just dyel yourselves?
You guys are more useless than Veeky Forums

Have you ever seen an obese person with small and weak calves? Fuck no you haven't, because they have to carry themselves all day every day, every where they go.
For a lot of us, we have to hit calves with a lot of volume (understand lot of repetitions with moderate weights, rather then big weights and few repetition). Best way is to combine both. Try walking with slightly heavy bag (you have to figure weight on your own) long distances and combine it with heavier bag with short distances. I'm sorry but if your strength raises, so do your muscles, there's no way around that.

Yeah you can still learn biking, it's not that hard.

What car do you have user?

Yes user, learn how to ride a bike.
You'll actually have a lot of fun doing it.
You can bike 12 kilometers in a pretty short amount of time.
I share your disgust with public transportation because even in America it is filthy and terrible.

Squats and oats

Remember not to skip wing day

> I'm sorry but if your strength raises, so do your muscles, there's no way around that.
I am aware of this fact, I just don't want the traditional body building legs. More like bycicle people legs or athletes.
Also, I always have a backpack with me (except for when I go to the pub) and I carry along books, documents, speakers, sometimes my laptop (work laptop). I work as a trainer and as an copywriter so I always move about.
My car is an 2007 Audi A6, which is big for most european cities.
Thanks for your help!

I won't be biking in the city, much too dangerous. But I could do some weekend stuff.

I'm a slav so I squat naturally, all the time.

Only when I'm high I fly.

Thanks guys for your answers.

Nobody has bigger legs than cyclists. Literally not a single bodybuilder has ever achieved Olympic Cyclist legs. Those guys are jacked beyond any reasonable proportions.

Pro tip: Walking is endurance cardio which doesn't require much muscle. The best way to become good at low intensity endurance cardio, sprinting and being strong but small all at the same time is just by being jacked at a very low bodyweight (~5'9" 140-150, adjust for height) and also lift weights with high volume and frequency to build work capacity. Use cardio to develop your energy systems. Walk slightly faster than normal on a treadmill or outside and work your way up to that 10-12KM sweet spot, then add weight or walk even faster.

So basically I should just increase my walking speed or to add further weight?
When I was a kid I did some professional swimming and I still remember when I had weights strapped to my legs for most of the day. I guess I could buy some weights, but from what I remember they are light, expensive and take up a lot of space. I used to have 2kg weights on each leg, and they had sand or something in them. They were a pain in the ass.
Maybe some more discreete weights exist? I can't go and hold trainings and meetings with bulges from my ankles.

No, basically you should lift weights and walk on an incline treadmill. If you accidentally become Ronnie eating 2400kcal a day you can quit your job and bodybuild full time and make millions, so it's a win win.

But I don't wanna become a bodybuilder, I just want damn strong legs. Would a weighted vest help? I could carry that around easily.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Not enough.

The key for walking (and running) long distances is efficiency

Ask yourself this, what does your stride look like? Watch some other people walk, really watch them closely, do you see how some people waddle? Do you see how some people have an actual spring in their step? Videotape yourself, watch how you walk from the side, from the front, and from the back. Do you have an efficient stride?

If you have any friends who are into dogs they will probably be able to tell you more about what an efficient stride is, or look up videos about dog shows, and different dog breeds. The same ideas apply to your stride as do theirs.

General fitness is pretty important too. Do some conditioning, you don't need to do much tho.

Check your diet, if you're going to be walking 10km daily then you'll need some carbs, try to eat a little more protein. Eat lots of vegetables.

Check your rest and recovery. Are you sleeping regularly? Do you stay up late often? Try to get a bit more sleep. Learn how to stretch, and how to self massage or foam roll. Get a tennis ball or a squash ball and roll out a few of the sore areas. If you're a bad enough dude then use a hockey ball. Pay some extra attention to the underside of your feet, your piriformis, ilo-tibial band, calves, and hamstrings.

Work on your mobility a little, check out yoga for weightlifters, powerlifters, and bodybuilders by semen demon Kassandra on YouTube. Stretch before bed time.

Last but not least get some good shoes for walking. Most people fall into two categories where shoes are concerned. People who need supportive shoes, and people who need neutral shoes. Most people need supportive shoes. Go to a proper sports shoe fitter, get them to video you. I shelled out almost NZ$200 for my running shoes and they are worth every penny.

In order of most helpful to least
stride > shoes > foam rolling > rest and diet > everything else
Working on your stride is difficult tho, so just start with shoes and work your way down the list

Quit smoking, faggot
Your dying lungs will thank you
And it's fucking gross

This user Knows his shit OP

Im improving in Long distance runing and basically aplying 90% of the things described in this post.