/owg/ Olympic Weightlifting General

Haven't seen one of these in awhile.

Those of you who are into oly, how'd you get into it? Where do you train? Are there programs/resources you recommend for beginners?

Other urls found in this thread:

chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM
catalystathletics.com/article/131/Starter-Program-for-Catalyst-Athletics-Online-Workouts/
catalystathletics.com/article/1686/The-Simplest-Olympic-Weightlifting-Program-in-the-World/
chinfl.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bumping for interest

at least paste the op
/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>I dont trip i name maymay edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

olympic weightlifting is so cool. I wish I could do it desuuuuuuu

Thanks, new to /owg/, will do next time

The dropbox link doesn't work

I got into weightlifting because there's a local club in my town. Bought Greg Everetts guide to weightlifting and taught myself how to snatch and clean & jerk. His site and books are a great source of information.

>how'd you get into it?
watching youtube videos of weightlifters
>Where do you train?
a crossfit gym
>Are there programs/resources you recommend for beginners?
not really. just record yourself and compare it to pros. it takes time if you're self taught

>how'd you get into it?
My ex got me into it.
>Where do you train?
Home gym. I wish I had a dip station though.
Get someone experienced to watch you

I want to get into it but I have a bad shoulder. I've dislocated it 4 times. I'm afraid to snatch. Anyone else in my situation?

I know theres bodybuilding/powerlifting programs, etc. Are there olympic programs? Can I do something like PHUL/PPL and just use olympic lifts as main lifts (might not be a good idea, but just curious)

THIS IS WHY THE GENERAL DIED YOURE ALL SO FUCKING RETARDED

You want to do the oly lifts any day you lift. The rest is accessories to build strength/endurance for the main lifts.
You can snatch/c&j the same day or give them their own days. I do separate because I feel the timing is different.

is this programme good if I am a beginner?
desu I can clean 75kg and that's it

catalystathletics.com/article/131/Starter-Program-for-Catalyst-Athletics-Online-Workouts/

I'd imagine most people on Veeky Forums are not athletes or have trained for 2+ years, and definitely not for oly, we were all clueless once

Yeah that looks solid.

thanks man, I will try it then

Stay away from weightlifting. You'll fuck your shit up even further.

catalystathletics.com/article/1686/The-Simplest-Olympic-Weightlifting-Program-in-the-World/

Read this first though. Good luck bro! :)

That seems even better for beginners, thanks lad

I am about to buy this book.

It is actually good enough to teach yourself? I have a coach, but I always like a second opinion.

Also, does it include, stretching, warm ups, a programme, accessory movements and all that good stuff?

>how did you get into it

Old gym coach at my highschool taught us how to Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and Power Clean for our "Fitness for Life" class and football, like 8 years ago. I dont bench any more but the Cleans stuck with me until i got into full c & j's (still teaching myself the basics of a snatch)

>where do you train

Garage gym, its getting pretty fucking nice too. I have two squat racks, 24 x 24 space of horse-stall mats, gymnastic rings, a heavy bag, 3 barbells with over 700lbs of plates (500lbs of it is bumpers), and just recently i got a GHD machine. Now i just need a Concept 2 for dat winter cardio and some better lighting and insulation for winter time and ill be set. I havent taken a picture of my gym yet but i will one day when its completed and post it here.

>resource for beginners

I have been using the Barbell Shrugged channel on Youtube for technique stuff, they have alot of awesome content in general, and i go to Mwod or anything that has to do with Kelly Starrert for mobility fine tuning and recovery stuff. Im definitely a beginner by the way. I just started seriously getting into the oly stuff in like May and i can only C&J 185lbs and literally cant do a full snatch yet (admittedly been slacking on training it, C&Js are just too fun).

>that gym
REEEEE
can i come to your garage? I can pay in brojobs

and just to add, your fucking home gym sounds better equipped than pretty much any commercial gym in my whole yurofag country

Most people don't do oly because 4channers are autistic and you can't do it without a coach

Isn't there a ripped copy in one of the pastebins? I think I got mine from there (unless we're talking about a different book/newer edition).

please let me live in your gym

>how'd you get into it?
I was bored with powerlifting movements. Always saw big men in cool shoes and tights at my gym, thought I might pick it up.
>Where do you train?
An oly gym. Way too expensive - almost $200 a month
I recommend getting a coach. When I didn't have a coach I fucked my shit up, but with one I don't.

>how'd you get into it?
Took my phone and made a few calls. Few hours after that i found myself from the gym.

>Where do you train?
Oly gym.

Programs don't work in oly like they do in powerlifting / bodybuilding. Atleast for the first x months.

>snatched 67.5kgs on Tuesday on my third wave
>couldn't snatch 70kgs on Thursday
>a teenager in the deep south is snatching close to my best front squat

Just fuck my shit up.

That jerk is awful.
>how'd you get into it?
Dem thigh gains desu

>Where do you train?
I'm in the university's team, we've got a gym just for oly.

I found useful vids about flexibility, mobility an technique on YouTube. Torokhtiy has good videos to start with technique.

how do the niggers in this thread film their own lifts for evaluation? phone or dslr on a tripod?

Who cares if his tech isn't pretty? Good tech just means something that's consistent at high weights. His tech is. He jerks more with that tech than you could ever hope to jerk with pretty tech.

Is being called Clarence the ultimate in Olympic lifting genetics?

phone on a tripod ideally but normally I just prop it up with a bottle

Ok goys looking for some advice, my coach is moving in a few months and I probably won't stay at my current gym when he leaves. Does anyone have any experience with online coaching? I was thinking about maybe trying Mash Elite or Vasfit. I'd rather not go back to being self taught. My other options were going to some gyms a few times a month 2 hours away but that's a pretty long drive.

I've heard Mash doesn't really do any of the programming for the online team, and that it's all cookie cutter. Seems like Juggernaut's online team is having quite a bit of success. Also depends on how much money you have- if you have a lot, get individualized coaching from Max.

Its good enough to teach yourself yeah. As long as you understand the mechanics of the movements and can figure out what you do right and wrong. But it would be best to train with a coach. It'll make things progress quicker and easier.

Juggernaut seems cool but you're right it's expensive. Might give it a shot, and thanks for the heads up on Mash.

Who here is squat jerk master race?

Mash does program for some of the online team members. But there's only one of him and a bunch of online team members so he has other coaches program as well. They are well versed in his methodologies, however, and do a great job. I know one of the coaches who does some of the programming, and she does a great job. Also, I believe online team members are told who's programming for them and if it is Mash or not.

squat jerks are the most beautiful movement in weightlifting, too bad that it's a hit-or-miss movement (e.g. tian tao or lu xiaojun @ rio, always on the edge of fully bombing out of competition). On the other hand, if a motherfucker like shi zhiyong in the 69kg class just walks in and squat jerks more than anybody else in his first attempt it's pretty badass

Well, you just saved me £45. Ty

>chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
>dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW
Broken links

chinfl.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html?m=1

Updated link

CJ has ... unorthodox technique, but he's consistent and strong af, there's a french nigger with disgusting looking technique too

Please god no, the squat jerk shitposting was too much last time it came around

You can user. Nobody except professionals need to be super efficient at the movement

Phone. But one of the plates in my gym has a small diver between the kg and the edge of the plate that can hold my phone. If I didn't have that, I'd be bringing a tripod for my phone

who vegan master race here? Making serious health, ethical, and weightlifting gains.

84kg 110/135

Shi is an absolute monster though, 205kg C&J personal best coming up to a weight cut prior to a competition, absolutely insane. Squat jerking is only suitable for short femur master race, otherwise your back won't be able to take that much stress. Pretty much Lu, Tian, and probably Shi fit the bill (though Shi looks like he leans quite forward in his jerks).

>vegan
>masterrace
LOL

Go with vasfit my dude. Vasily and yasha are top notch and you'll waste your money with jugg

>otherwise your back won't be able to take that much stress

lol fuck off

>started lifting wanting to be a strongman
>all strongman are fat fucks
>powerlifter I shall be
>lifting heaving things is fun and all but not very that fulfilling
>watch oly lifting when Russian girls aren't doing gymnastics
>alright alright alright
And that's how I got into Oly. Have a decent setup at home, mostly barbells and pl8's. Wasn't really a beginner when I started I just started taking it seriously.

Is it weird that I only find her attractive because she is wearing adipowers?

Rate depth ignore shoes

can't ignore the architecture on that gym though. what kind of gym is that?

>how'd you get into it?
Clarence
>Where do you train?
An oly lifting gym in my city
Greg Everett has a book on olympic lifting I would definitely recommend

It's my Arabian castle dream gym

yo, my ankle mobility is increasing (ankle wall test), but i fail use my ankles during my squat like pic related. wtf am i doing wrong

that tranny in the picture you posted isn't failing to use his ankles in his squat, he just has garbage proportions for squatting and bad flexibility. that's probably your problem too

oh shit i meant that i want to use my ankles like pic related.i.e. having my knees go over my toes. if it helps i have a short torso and long femurs and im 5'7

what kind of meme plates are those?

They have the name right on them

those are eleiko plates. they are literally the gold standard for weightlifting, my newfag friend