Thinking SS/SL is a meme

>thinking SS/SL is a meme

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People knock on SS because it doesn't involve a lot of upper body work enough whereas it has a lot of lower body focus. However, Rippletits himself recommends to add isolation exercises for the arms when needed.

tl;dr: People who knock on SS need to read the sticky

>tl;dr: People who knock on SS need to read the sticky
or the book

>isolation exercises for the arms when needed
When the fuck aren't they needed? People shit on SS for good reason, because there's no fucking point in doing both deadlifts and squats every single fucking workout.

>forgetting SS is for the noobest of the noobs

You don't do squats and deadlifts every workout.

it really isnt. The problem is retards who have been training under a year on a meme PPL routine and see minimal progress think they are enlightened and shoo away newfags from doing legitimate programs like SS/SL... so in a years time they end up just like them spinning their wheels doing bro splits and not focusing on progression in compound lifts. Strength does = aesthetics if you are eating right. Retards who go in the gym for "muh pump bro im arnold lol kek xD" always end up looking like shit. The guys who go in the gym and stress progressive overload on compound lifts with a little bit of accessory work always look the best. Im not saying PPL's are bad routines but if you are doing it for years over and over youre wasting a tremendous amount of potential. If you are on gear bro splits are okay tho

>his filename
Almost a decade and people still fall for this bait

if you erase all the gay lines someone drew on this picture to obscure the actual physique, you have a really nice adonis belt and not much else

idk why this gets reposted so often

Are pull ups and dips really enough to make big arms?

Also what about rows?

Squats and DL's have very different EMG activation in the legs. Squats primarily emphasize quads. Deads primarily emphasize hamstrings and glutes. There's parts of the movement where both exercises use the non-primary muscle group, but overall the developmental effect is differentiated enough to avoid counterproductive levels of overlap.

Doing them both in a single workout can be a very good idea because it gives every muscle group in your legs reps as both a stabilizer and as a primary mover.

I'm not saying they're a bad idea, I'm saying SS has you do deadlifts one workout and cleans the next (rows for SL). That guy was saying you do both every workout, but that's not SS/SL. I agree though, friend.

if you have good arm genetics sure, if not your arms will be pipecleaners

stop shilling SL it's total garbage

it's just an SS ripoff by someone who has no fucking idea what they're doing programming wise

Is this new? I have SS 2nd edition and I don't think it says this

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Interesting. Sorry for the misinformation

That's perfectly fine, have a great day

Reminder.

>no rows
>no side raises
>no direct arm work
>no direct calf work
>no direct neck work
>reps below the hypertrophy range
nice v-taper

you too, nice trips btw

This dude foreshadowed the strength is aesthetics meme that blew up around 2014 or later. Fair plau

That's just phase 1, you sub in power cleans once your DL is way ahead of your squat and you can't recover from Diddlying every workout.

It's still all lower body for no apparent reason, most people don't give a single shit about lower body when you boil it down. People want to look ripped and T-Rex mode is not what most people want.

>user sees a picture on Veeky Forums
>assume it's 100% true

Then doing SS forever isn't for them.
There's nothing wrong with SS, all depends on what someone's goals are.
It's fine to do SS until linear progression stops/slows down then jump onto PPL or a brosplit.

People think it's a meme because almost no one does actually SS. They see a bastardized version posted online that makes no mention of how you should sub in cleans later on or how it tells you do add assistance exercises and isolations.
Yet another retard who try's to shit on SS yet hasn't read the book or seen the correct program.

>Then doing SS forever isn't for them.
Exactly, SS is for those who look to become T-Rex, i.e. no one.

>hasn't read the book
I see this joke of an argument all the fucking time. You're absolutely right! I haven't read the book. I'm guessing the book says pretty much exactly what Rippetoe says in his videos and what all the online information I've ever come across about it says. Something something posterior chain something something hip drive.

>Exactly, SS is for those who look to become T-Rex, i.e. no one.
Except you can add accessory work to phase 3/4 of SS.

Yeah, you could do that, after you spent all your newbie gains on your legs. Or you could just choose a program which isn't as lower body focused, so you reach your goal body faster.

It's not a joke of an argument you fucking retard. If you haven't read the material you don't know the routine and should shut the fuck up because you don't know what you're talking about. If you do the routine the correct way for the recommended amount of time, 3~6 months, you're not going to look like a fucking T. rex. Literally 99% of people don't do it correctly because they dont read the book and are scared to do power cleans.

>after you spent all your newbie gains on your legs
What do you mean by this?

Why don't you fucking spergs actually tell the rest of us litlets what magic content the book contains then? Why doesn't Mark himself emphasize what this magical knowledge is in any of his videos? HURR DURR didn't read the book you don't understand, like nigga if I need to buy that smug fat fuck's little booklet to understand why I should get on his stupid fucking program then yeah, I won't. I'll do shit that works.

You're supposed to do SS until you're no longer at a beginner level of lifting. Do you really think having a stronger lower body matters in the long term? Who the fuck cares about the proportions of a dude who can't even be considered intermediate?

See this is why SS got such a bad rep. Beginners hate it because they are beginners and they think that their lifting career will be decided between today and six months from now. They'd rather underdevelop their legs than give them the load that legs are supposed to carry and are capable of recovering from, because they have no sense of where they'll be four years from now.

>Who the fuck cares about the proportions of a dude who can't even be considered intermediate?
The dude actually running the program comes to mind?

>They'd rather underdevelop their legs than give them the load that legs are supposed to carry
What are you talking about? Be specific, because a retard like myself don't understand what you're referring to.

If I'm putting a program for a beginner, I don't give a shit what they think they want, because that's why they're beginners

Legs can sustain an enormous amount of activation and exercise in a week and still recover. When you're running methods like bulgarian or bulgarian light, you put your legs through near-max effort several times a week, almost every day, and they recover no problem. You would never be able to sustain that kind of growth running high intensity training on your upper body, even if you cycled through exercises.

There's people that squat 3-4 times a week almost all year round no problem. Why would you not want to squat twice a week, if your body can recover from it? It's not like it takes away from your upper body adaptation. Breaking three bench PRs in two weeks is pretty damn near where I'd estimate a beginners ability to adapt is.

>mfw started SL
>not new to lifting so saw some progress 2 weeks in
>squatting at 175lbs, benching 135
>realized the other day my form was really shit for squats and OHP
>mfw had to go back down in weight to get the form down right

Times like these makes me wish I had a gym buddy to watch my form and make sure I don't get a one way ticket to snap city, either way Im still gonna go at it, even after going down in weight to get the form down I was still lifting heavier than ever before

>doing a strength program for hypertrophy

>after you spent all your newbie gains on your legs
wat

>Why buy the program when I can rip apart a strawman based on the first phase of the program?
>Why should people who work hard to make good products earn money from them?
>Why isn't everything free?

My legs are for moving a lot. Not lifting heavy weights.

What is the point in squtting hundreds of pounds. I honestly don't get it.

Is this true

>It's still all lower body for no apparent reason

>no apparent reason

Hmm... Why would something called Starting STRENGTH care about the lower body... it's almost like the lower body is nessisary to lift things...

>5x3

I could have sworn this use to say 5x5

Or just read ss

Is SL with arms exercises good for a beginner ?

Ask for someone to record your set

>I used to think this guy was jacked
kek

>pull ups
>biceps

No.

>training your muscles makes them grow
Woah

Is pic related a good program for a novice looking for strength and secondarily looking to look good? I'm planning on doing this while cutting until January and then bulking up and improving my actual strength

Yeah that's fine, just research and practice good form. Cutting, cardio, and hypertrophy programs are what you need to look good after building a strong base.

You do realise if a noob did nothing but squats their arms and back would get bigger, right? The sheer amount of hormones released from working your legs helps the rest of your body along even if they're not being trained.

Muscle development is primarily about hormones, that's why people use steroids rather than jamming live electrical cables into their biceps.

honestly I thought that people on this board only made fun of SS because they are too afraid to look like weaklings squating 1pl8.

Its obv that compound lifts are the best, for pretty much everything.

SS/SL is just the beginner program, if you stall you need to switch to madcow or 5/3/1 or texas method.

>leg day

>He says after OP posted proof of the opposite.

Just do SS and add some upper body stuff then dipshit.

lol

Yeah, no, I'll just focus on upper body and add some lower body stuff instead, retard

Fine do that mate, but don't pretend my method of choice wouldn't work also

Hello imbalances

>I could have sworn this use to say 5x5

You are thinking of StrongLifts 5x5

PPL isn't bro splits you retard

SS is a beginners strength program

It will make a beginner strong.

It isn't a bodybuilding program, not a CrossFit program, not a powerlifting program.

It's a program designed to make beginners stronger.

So would SL with weighted dips and and weighted pullups plus cardio a couple times a week be enough to get a decent body?

Sad times

>being this much of a wuss to squat

I don't get the pic, his routine works all muscle groups, that's the joke?

What's his routine?

>he thinks one fucking photo of a random guy in a taiwanese ladyboy forum proves anything.

Off yourself.

>One random guy with good lightning, a good pump, probably good genetics, no way to verify if it's true what he's saying, suddenly proves anything.
You're retarded, go suck rippetoe's dick kid. Oh wait, he already has a horde of squatters with an enormous ass already sucking him off.
>You do realise if a noob did nothing but squats their arms and back would get bigger, right?
This is the level of delusion that you need to fall for the SS meme.
His ass is probably 2 times his torso and he still thinks he is going to grow the upper body with squats.

>people unironically still follow meme routines

Holy shit it's not 2011 anymore guys.
Also every single individual I've seen do SS has ended up with severe lagging points and overall a shitty physique, with the exception of a very few genetically gifted chads like OCB who used to post in this board and some other guy who was an australian athlete, but there's no way of knowing if they were even natty.

All in all, even the strongest fuckers training at rippetoe's gym look meh, his training methods work only on lazy steroid users.
Low volume training only works on steroid users, or beginners, or people who are genetically gifted and high responders to training, or people who are average to above average in genetics but are willing to get obese in order to get a bit stronger.

>You do realise if a noob did nothing but squats their arms and back would get bigger, right? The sheer amount of hormones released from working your legs helps the rest of your body along even if they're not being trained.
>Muscle development is primarily about hormones, that's why people use steroids rather than jamming live electrical cables into their biceps.

Holy shit dude you ARE are a retard.
Acute changes in hormones post excercise mean next to nothing in terms of gains.
In order for your arms to get big you need to either inject tremendous ammounts of exogenous anabolic hormones many more times than your own body produces in order to get noticeably bigger in the LONG term.
Squats don't do jack shit for arms or chest or shoulders.
No, squats also don't do jack shit for lats, they barely get ANY activation on them.
Same shit for deadlifts, lats are used a bit more, but arms aren't used at all except for forearms, but they're not gonna get big for holding on to a heavy weight for a few seconds, shit just doesn't work that way.

Unless you're willing to inject or take anabolic hormones then the only way you're gonna get bigger is from doing more work than you're used to, that's all there is to it.

Post body with timestamp, I want to see what you're routine gets you.

anyone got that GoT virgin walk - chad stride webm?

>three full-body exercises cover the entire body, therefore SS is good
>strength routines are by some astounding coincidence also optimal for aesthetics
>I know better than literally every single pro bodybuilder
super compelling argument, brb changing my routine

You retards still argue whether SS/SL are memes yet it's the recommended routine in the sticky.

Le Reddit figured this out months ago and has removed all mention of those programs from their sticky.
Get your shit together Veeky Forums

My routine is ABABAB

A:
3x5 SS book burnings
3x5 SS forum shitposts

B:
3x5 SS book burnings
1x5 threesomes

Let's see what you look like.

OK SO WHAT IS A BETTER PROGRAM FOR BEGINNERS??
all this misinformation is driving me a little LOCO

>>three full-body exercises cover the entire body, therefore SS is good
They inadequately cover the entire body. This is a fact.

>>strength routines are by some astounding coincidence also optimal for aesthetics
That is a lie.

>>I know better than literally every single pro bodybuilder
Pro bodybuilders don't lift for strength. Their strength is a consequence of their heavy abuse of gear and lifting for a pump.

Honestly, I'm also a beginner but I did SL for months in the past and saw no progress.

I just started a PPL routine and the higher volume and accessories make it better. As long as your goals are just to look better

>there's always this fucking faggot tryhard

>I did SL for months in the past and saw no progress.
You're telling me that you started a beginner program, which typically has you start with the bar, as a beginner and could only lift the bar by the end of it? How pathetic. Or are you some retard who fucked around with various programs, glanced at SL said yolo and started with your estimated max.

>shit all over beginner routines and general staples of lifting while touting muh superior knowledge
>get rustled when someone asks what you look like

My numbers went way up. The programs are great for that.

I meant I saw no progress in terms of aesthetics. I look completely that same after 3 months.
That's cause these programs don't work any glamour muscles, which most people want.

>My numbers went way up.
>no progress
Hmmmmmmm

>I meant I saw no progress in terms of aesthetics.
I'll be honest with you, you're a delusional natty. That pump you think has you looking like a sicc cunt after a set of 12 isn't noticeable and generally laughable. I know you think you're gonna be the worlds first true natty bb that doesn't look like garbage, but you aren't.

Are you okay?

I'm doing alot better than that reel of gym selfies on your phone right now.

So are you saying you did a 5x5 3 times a week and got jacked?
If not what fucking point are you trying to make?

>novice to lifting that wants to look better gets SS/SL as a recommended routine because muh strength base, or muh str = aesthetics.
>he does the routine for some months and see no changes in his body
>comes here and tries to help other novices to not make the same mistake he did.
>random guy gets mad that not everyone is a fanboy of SS/SL as he is, and call hims a "delusional natty that wants to be a bb".

Do you realize your retardation? Probably not, that's why you're spewing diarrhea through your mouth right now.

Go to any strength training forum that isn't SS.
See what the average person that knows what the fuck they're talking about has to say.

are you for real dude

back and biceps
chest and tris
legs

PPL is literally a fancy way if saying brosplit

You don't know hat PPL is dipshit

yeh its a brosplit

SS has curls in it. read the book