Veeky Forums Book Thread: Medieval European Peasantry Edition

Previous Thread: Veeky Forums Book Thread; come discuss what you're reading, ask for recommendations or recommend some books to your fellow anons, ask for opinions on some books you've been thinking of reading.

>Hundreds of book lists for research into numerous topics, with explanations of each recommendation
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2/1

>Compilation of Recommended Reading Charts from previous threads:
imgur.com/a/7YLKv

Mega libraries of free e-books suggested by kind anons:

>2,000 World History Books
mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA

>Mysticism/Occult Books
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>Introduction to Buddhism
mega.nz/#F!8yoXVK7A!TC52QPsBJcfjDyVVsy06wA

>Some 150 pdfs of history, religion, philosophy, and other stuff
mega.nz/#F!flYQGbzI!p1AFjtMuCLHQqocJqxV7rg

>45gigs worth of mostly Military History
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

>Philosophy Collection
mega.nz/#F!MQBRHBJA!L_on3h-XUrtbc719UaMygw

>Some drawing and art guides
mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA

>Warfare
mega.nz/#F!x4JD1RzD!4_nIFmI2sBdSYg14j7pIdA

>8GB of Books
mega.nz/#F!51Q0waSI!4Ut-eePQr9YSjHJJTQs7Ew

>Mesoamerica
mega.nz/#F!msA0Xb5Y!1t9OYAkkx0PUG8haYYiITw

>Moundbuilders/Mississippians of North America
mega.nz/#F!GwolDKTS!YeQjR65-xy1WCItk-A90dA

>E-book/Audio book sites:

librivox.org/
b-ok.org/
gutenberg.org/
archive.org/details/audio_bookspoetry
loyalbooks.com/
digitalbook.io/
etc.usf.edu/lit2go/
audible.com/
goodreads.com/
gen.lib.rus.ec/

>Other Recommended Reading Resources:
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts
reddit.com/r/history/wiki/recommendedlist
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin

Attached: history18.png (1440x900, 994K)

Other urls found in this thread:

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://download.cnet.com/Duplicate-Cleaner/3000-2248_4-10584403.html
itunes.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12
pastebin.com/11giK4Tx
pastebin.com/AHyr7qsK
amazon.com/dp/0226470490/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_9QXQAbC96XD0Y
pastebin.com/c9RZRzKZ
pastebin.com/SpdZEiDK
pastebin.com/MUE0RauR
pastebin.com/mNF84gwb
pastebin.com/VzezWf3m
youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9F2FkEQJQ&t=2261s
pastebin.com/npw7WSdW
pastebin.com/8CVmnm1s
pastebin.com/6yCQcCUw
pastebin.com/vFMyu6gQ
pastebin.com/Zs1RdzH5
pastebin.com/aba66JYd
pastebin.com/WjiP2qcT
pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9
pastebin.com/iRzJ3rJz
pastebin.com/8HB9Jian
pastebin.com/xaQQhAd7
pastebin.com/KwPYgbQx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want a PDF of The Cousins' Wars by Kevin Phillips; would they be in these Mega archives? Can they be searched?

Attached: DXf4vxUUQAQSWav.jpg (750x733, 113K)

What are some good intro-tier books on the Minoans? Or on the Bronze Age in Northern/Western Europe?

>pirating
You people are scum, they should name a parisitic wasp after you like they did sci-hub
By pirating you are not supporting the creators
I bet you don’t even have your own copy of swordsmen of the british empire

Does anyone have a copy of Herodotus in simplified English where it’s a linear timeframe rather than jumping it around, /TrumpGeneral/ said I should start there but all this bouncing in time makes me dizzy

The mycenaeans by Rodney Castleden is comfy. For Atlantic Bronze age, Barry cunliffe has some good works (On the Ocean and Europe Between the Ocean). His more broad works cover it, but he also provides further reading for the topic, I don't have the books with me (just got to work) but I'll look through when I get home for ya champ.

Reading now

Attached: Iron Kingdom.jpg (313x475, 28K)

>Tfw only read primary sources
>Tfw still don't want to pirate the intellectual property of the authors, but I don't know who the heirs of Herodotus are, so I don't know who to send my $5 to for royalties on The Histories.
Feels bad

Send it to the Greek culture ministry. They could use the money.

Tangenting this, are there any vidyas set in the Bronze Age?

stay mad faggot, and I'll keep learning for free

Attached: 1487400503213.gif (500x335, 2M)

Is there a way to search the pastebin or do you have to just keep clicking through? Looking for Soviet Union shit.

That poor doogo

you're a dumb shit. most of the profits go to the publishers, ESPECIALLY the research papers uploaded. if not that, some academic works are atrociously overpriced (just go on amazon to look up the price of some of them). you also forget that most people can get shit for free from the library anyway, and uploading this digitally helps save people the trip. Some people aren't so luck to have a well stocked library near them, so they have no other choice other than to download stuff free. Your post takes for granted that not everyone can just up and pay for books which, if you buy second hand, the author is not getting royalties for anyway.

furthermore, some of the pirated works are also by dead people. on top of that, the more a scholar's work is read, debated and cited the more relevant he becomes, so it's a possibly benefit to have his work circulating.

what period of soviet union

I don't have $500,000

Preferably Stalinist, but also somewhat after. I kinda realize I probably don't understand how the thing actually ran.

hey Temple of Solomon guy, download Duplicate cleaner (free)
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://download.cnet.com/Duplicate-Cleaner/3000-2248_4-10584403.html
half the books in there are duplicates

>Being a peasant
You don't deserve literacy

yea only I the owner can search through the pastebins apparently. i'll post some pictures of most relevant stalin books I can find for you

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 4.09.29 PM.png (733x700, 156K)

are there any programs for mac?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 4.10.02 PM.png (736x656, 161K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 4.09.41 PM.png (725x506, 131K)

Would recommend this book, halfway through it. The stories and description of the climate I found to be very colorful. Helps flesh out the history of region much over looked. Though its very short, some 240 pages of actual reading and some 20 or so pages of notes of resources. It a book you can finish in a day or two.

Attached: goodbook.jpg (326x499, 37K)

>just go on amazon to look up the price of some of them).
I gotchu Senpai

Attached: fuck.png (1122x296, 24K)

who would that money even go to?

Thank you

well theres this
itunes.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12
I've never used it so no idea how good it is. aparently its 5$

Besides pic related and , anybody got anything on the Kaiserreich?

Attached: Gordon Craig Germany.jpg (320x499, 21K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 7.49.08 PM.png (963x1094, 295K)

also these
pastebin.com/11giK4Tx
pastebin.com/AHyr7qsK

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 7.50.41 PM.png (1026x975, 281K)

What are some good translations of the Iliad, Odyssey, or Aeneid that have good notes for understanding the text better?

Something like that for Xenophon's Expedition of Cyrus would be appreciated too

Attached: Original Nine Kwan Schools of Taekwondo.png (2808x2291, 1.27M)

For the Iliad, get this version. It’s the closest to the poem’s intent, and is very academic. amazon.com/dp/0226470490/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_9QXQAbC96XD0Y

>Expedition of Cyrus would be appreciated too
Stick to the Oxford World Classics version, or wait another year or so to get the upcoming Landmark classics edition.

Anyone got some recommendations on the rise of the Ming Dynasty?

sorry i thought i answered you last thread
pastebin.com/c9RZRzKZ

section "the founding ming emperor"

Plan on reading this. Is it good?

Attached: wahhabi.jpg (332x499, 48K)

Can I get some Rhodesian reading recommendations?

Attached: rhodesia.png (2000x1000, 202K)

As good as Heart of Europe?

Attached: thirty years war.jpg (342x499, 53K)

The House of Government by Yuri Slezkine.

An intellectual feast.

Attached: Comanche.jpg (600x400, 102K)

bump

is this shit good, i have it being delivered right now—i tried the krupp book and thought it was trash (sort of related topic)

i liked it a lot. it's not the best written book in the world, but after i finished i felt i had a very firm grasp of what prussia was whereas before i had only vague ideas

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a boom about the history of South Korea in the 20th century? Maybe even until around 2010 or so?

something in here
pastebin.com/SpdZEiDK

whats the best book to understand the dynamic between trotsky and stalin?

trotsky the eternal revolutionary by volkogonov discusses trotsky's political career and would cover stalin and trotsky's rivalry. don't read deutschcer's biographycause he's a trotsky admirer and anti-stalin so you won't get a balanced view of the struggle

what are the books by hegel I have to read?

Currently reading this, any opinions on where to branch out of it?

Attached: rise-and-fall-of-ancient-egypt-3-books-set-the-nile-writings-from-ancient-egypt-by-toby-wilkinson-ne (500x500, 58K)

What does Veeky Forums have for the Mongol Empire? I've read the basic stuff and want something a bit more in-depth.

Thanks pastebin user. You are doing gods work.

i had collected books in anticipation of making a mongol chart but i never got to it. the books are in no particular order though i did organize some stuff
pastebin.com/MUE0RauR
i never added books from this other pastebin on the wars waged by ghengis khan and his successors, though there might be some overlap
pastebin.com/mNF84gwb

see the imgur in OP and there's a chart on the Yuan Empire

if you want more ancient egyptian stuff
pastebin.com/VzezWf3m
section on "literature"

Thanks user.

np
enjoy your reading

woops

>Tfw i finished the book i am currently reading today and thirty minutes later the mailman brought my next book (pic related)

May Allah bless Jezz Beezos and his underpaid underlings.

Attached: pid_21568.jpg (400x600, 118K)

Tell me how it is. if your that inquiring user from the last thread i also want to point out these works on liang qichao if you want to read more on republican citizenship. your zarrow book is mentioned too

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.10.58 PM.png (791x613, 158K)

I liked it. The author helped out the BBC with a Frederick the Great special.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9F2FkEQJQ&t=2261s

In case anybody wants to watch it.

Yea i am. Sofar i only read the introduction, but already there Liang Qichao and his thoughts on citizenship are mentioned. When i finished it i will post my thoughts on it.

any decent biographies of james madison? I couldn't find any in the links

pic related and these
Stagg, J. C. A. Mr. Madison’s War: Politics, Diplomacy and Warfare in the Early American Republic, 1783–1830. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1983.
>Definitive examination of the politics of the early national era and its relationship to why the United States went to war and what its consequences were.
Banning, Lance. The Sacred Fire of Liberty: James Madison and the Founding of the Federal Republic. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1995.
>Penetrating intellectual biography of James Madison influenced by the republicanism debate. Important for showing how the political ideology of republicanism developed.
Dunn, Susan. Dominion of Memories: Jefferson, Madison, and the Decline of Virginia. New York: Basic Books, 2007.
>The story of the cultural and social decline of Virginia, from its heyday in the 1780s to the gloomy 1830s. Emphasis is put on the Louisiana Purchase opening up a vast new market for Virginia slave breeders. Essential to properly assess Jefferson as a member of the Virginia gentry.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.37.05 AM.png (639x717, 186K)

Been reading Henry Kissinger's memoirs. God, this is the good stuff.

Each book (there are three) is 1000+ pages, but Henry writes so scholarly and lucid that I'm now re-reading favourite parts.

Recommended.

Also check out LKY's memoirs.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1024x866, 181K)

bump

Attached: reformation.jpg (326x500, 52K)

I've had the pleasure of reading that. MacCulloch is truly a master of his craft. His long book on the history of Christianity is also worth reading.

By the way, please do not just post covers of random books - at least write a couple of lines selling the book.

What books (no pop book shit please) are on general life and societal structure of the 15th century (I'm specifically interested in the late years 1450-1500)? Or just segmented topics, like books on peasants, burghers, aristocracy, and so on. I've read Commines' memoirs, a few books on the Wars of the Roses (specifically on warfare rather than the politics), and I want a broader in-depth context to acquaint me with the period properly instead of just the rudiments/backdrop

On another note I'm pretty depressed over Commines' account of his former master. Fuck Sch*eizer goatfucking yokels

Attached: tumblr_mxlml7u6Uf1qdswaio2_1280.jpg (1280x853, 498K)

I'd like to learn to about Swiss history, government, and culture
Also some books on/related to architecture would be nice

Attached: Heart of Europe.jpg (331x499, 66K)

>like books on peasants, burghers, aristocracy
these maybe, all related to the renaissance and reformation eras. it's a bit of a scattershot to post so many but i get the impression you want more than a narrative of events and want a panorama of european society as it existed in your period of interest? i could also post stuff on specific countries but these general themed bibs might give you books with a more european wide focus comparing institutions and classes everywhere on the continent.
nobility
pastebin.com/npw7WSdW
guilds and manufacturing
pastebin.com/8CVmnm1s
banking and money
pastebin.com/6yCQcCUw
artisans
pastebin.com/vFMyu6gQ
trade networks
pastebin.com/Zs1RdzH5
family and childhood
pastebin.com/aba66JYd

pastebin.com/WjiP2qcT

desu he does it to bump the thread i think. i also think that covers are ads in themselves and although it's irrational they in themselves can promote interest and excitement in a subject.

also dis
pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9

Anyone know of good books from the perspective of Japan during the Sino-Japanese war/ww2 ?

Anyone got any book recommendations on Puyi?

I did some cursory reading on /wikipedia/ and his story sounds very intriguing. The last Emperor of China, then puppet of the Japanese, then 'reformed' citizen of the People's Republic.

Attached: puyi-1[1].jpg (900x750, 53K)

just read his autobiography
its what they based the [spoiler] 9/10 KINO [/spoiler] film on
Though he sorta got brainwashed by communists.

Attached: 51WKY229TKL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (328x474, 36K)

pastebin.com/iRzJ3rJz
pastebin.com/8HB9Jian

That book's theme looks really interesting... Have you started it? What's your opinion about it so far?

Attached: e761db5dfa.gif (310x475, 51K)

Attached: Hitler.jpg (499x375, 37K)

Attached: Germany 1770.jpg (316x499, 45K)

Attached: Three Emperors.jpg (450x450, 32K)

Started reading Ancient History of the Near East by Marc van de Mieroop

Es bueno?

Attached: persian fire.jpg (324x500, 48K)

bump

Attached: Hapsburgs.jpg (400x400, 36K)

Requesting Yugoslav Wars recommendations.

these bibliographies
pastebin.com/xaQQhAd7
pastebin.com/KwPYgbQx

Great book, I had been seeing the Persians through the eyes of ancient Greeks for too long before I read this

Attached: 41J6D-GNI7L.jpg (312x500, 31K)

Attached: to hell and back.jpg (1168x1869, 406K)

Attached: Ghengis Khan.jpg (324x500, 43K)

Isn’t this book inaccurate as shit and filled with “Mongols dindu nuffin”

No. It actually tells of the stuff that happened. It doesn't try to sanitize shit, but also doesn't make him out to be the most evil man ever.

Attached: Caesar.jpg (200x306, 8K)

Is this good? I got it recently.

Attached: black flags.jpg (324x499, 52K)

I actually had this book as required reading at a fairly renowned university. The Mongols: Empire And Resistance In Medieval Eurasia was the course.

Does someone update these?

Why you ask?

its more unreadable than a dwarf fortress text dump...