Lifting straps and grip work

Is it cheating to use straps? I am doing a lot of grip work but grip just can't seem to improve, it has been lacking for a couple of years, and after a year of doing grip work I have just given up.

Veeky Forums if you could tell me some magic lift that made significant difference to your grip then I can reward you with one lift that WILL improve your traps overnight.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/big-forearms-crushing-grip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using straps
hope you're happy handing in your natty card faget

Adding weighted pullups/chinups really improved my grip.

I do those with 30lbs extra so no they don't -OP

I'm 220 and do them with 60lbs every lifting day. Just slowly build it.

Chin-ups/pull-ups for grip strength and hookgrip if double overhand fails, no straps unless you are doing heavy accessory exercies like rack pulls/barbell shrugs maybe during barbell rows to scrap few more reps if your grip fails.

Yeah this one time I turned one of my hands around to hold on to the bar and suddenly I made great deadlift gains and I could still DOH like 70-80% of my 1rm with chalk and life was good.

yes it's cheating, you should bottleneck the development of your entire body by what you can hold on to and no serious hardcore lifters ever use straps or think they're a useful training tool

just look at this pussy using straps, bet he couldn't match my beltless DOH 315 deadlift without them, i bet i'll deadlift what he does but beltless DOH in like 2 years because i'm extrapolating my novice progression rate far into the future

>average Veeky Forums poster
>315 DOH

Not a chance lmao

Anyone who says its cheating dosen't DL enough. You should never let you grip strength interfere with your prgressions. That said, using thrm for anything else (other than extremely heavy lat pulldowns) is gay af

>extremely heavy lat pulldowns
Does the entire stack even weigh more than 225?

I do farmer walks until failure as my final workout on leg day. Works the grip very well.

315 Deadlift over hand? Is that what DOH is? Because I can do that. Fuck mixed grip, pussies. Enjoy your torn biceps.

>implying 315 DOH is hard
I have news for you buddeh...

Depends on what brand makes the machine

Double overhand you mong

This. You should use straps as soon as your forearms get fatigued, or have trouble with the weight.

This applies to rows and shrugs as well. I understand the elitism when it comes to straps, but you'll see how retarded you were the moment you use them.

I already do these still my grip is shit. I literally need an exercise I haven't heard about that you can prove works. Desperate af

I'm 300lbs and do them with 100lbs added for 5x10 every day lifting or resting

Depends. I only use them when I know my grip will be the limiting factor in a pull no matter how much I train it, like the bar literally falling out of my hands with a certain weight when I know my back could still take way more (and I hate mixed grip so >inb4). But when I see people at the gym strapping up for lmao1pl8 warmups, my eyelid twitches for the rest of the day.

I've noticed that 5 sets of heavy farmer's walks twice a week has really helped my grip strength.
I'll carry around between 80-100lbs dumbbells and do a lap around this empty studio in my gym.
Once I'm done with that, I'll use straps to hold the dumbbells until I can't even with the assistance.

unironically post lats

I was obviously kidding
I'm only 175lbs and do 5x5 with 45lbs
I doubt someone with the estats I posted would ever come to this hellhole

Look up fat grips. They range from $14-45 on Amazon. Start doing all your accessory lift with it.

Are hand grippers a meme? Do they actually do anything for grip strength or are they essentially fidget spinners for lifters?

thought so. but no hard feelings, I fooled myself, a thread I was in a long time ago had a shredded 260lbs monster with timestamp so I am well prepared to see anything here

I wasn't kidding though, but I'm only able to do 3x6.

> I'm 300lbs

Fatass go lose some weight instead of estating.

Apparently pulling on a rope is the best all-around grip strength trainer. You have to squeeze and pull.

Idk just a thought.

Oh lads here's a thought. Attack thick ropes to some dumbbells and farmers walk whilest'thee holds onto the ropes with both hands vertically tug-of-war style.

That'll get 'er done.

Based on what you've been posting it sounds like you are doing too much grip work. Your forearm muscles are small. Give them a chance to recover. You don't make gains at the gym, you make gains during rest time.

My rundown
DL for volume using doubles/triples. Go for 8-12 sets, and keep rest under 3 minutes. This should feel like cardio, but heavy. No grinding the reps.
Heavy DB rows. I can only do these after a old back injury. I use a piece of plumbing pipe, so there's the added benefit of no knurling. Do these one side, then the other with no rest
Snatch grip DL. Go lighter on this, but it's good accessory work for the traps.
Pullups. Just do 'em in whatever grip it takes. Facefuck them until they're a bitch that calls you daddy
Direct forearm work. I get enough without directly training it much due to my job, but my two fav things to focus on are pinch and crushing grip work. I have a shotput at work for those rare times I'm stuck at the desk. This can also double as shoulder work.
Delts delts delts. Enough said.
Don't be a curlbro. Do a few quick sets 2-3x/week to keep the tendons healthy. Strained tendons due to overuse from 9000 varieties of curls will limit your grip

beauty is in the eye of the bee holder?

My DOH grip gives out at 365lbs. I've been using straps ever since because I don't care and I'm up to 500lbs now. Do people train grip for competitions? I've never worried about my grip strength before

Reading is hard

Hold on to deadlift at the top... Need to pry my fingers open after a few of deem

what does she use to cue her hand placement

i know crossfitters are retarded and women doubly so but surely she doesnt have an unbalanced grip like it looks like in the pic right?

This sounds very complex but I guess Ill give it a try for a few weeks, really hate how much my grip is lacking compared to my lifts

Here OP

t-nation.com/training/big-forearms-crushing-grip

streetwear dad saving rare kicks first, priorities on point

Man my pull days changed completely once I started using straps, I don't think deadlifting was ever an issue because I'd do a set of like 5 but It's like 5 individual reps so my grip can rest for like a couple of seconds inbetween.

I was doing like 75lb dumbbell rows before, now that I got straps I can do the like 120lbs and not have to worry about dropping it.

mild kek

That wasn't meant to be a program.

Look over it, pick a point or two to work on, and improve that.
Later, work on 1-2 other things that are lacking

Don't be the guy that has a program that has 20 lifts for a total of 60-120 sets.

its not cheating unless you're trying to be a power lifter and actually compete
most commercial gyms have shit bars and have no knurling

To me, grip is your brain telling you that this weight is too heavy to lift. I use straps, but more to increase how many reps I can do rather than lift more than I can lift in snatch or mixed grip.
If I'm going to DB row 3x15 120lbs, of course I use straps. But I can at least do a few reps without straps if I need to.

I see people trying to rack pull 600lbs with straps when they can't even double overhand 315 and I really wonder whether their spinal columns are conditioned enough to handle that kind of weight.

enjoy your pencil thin forearms, faggot.

Personally I gave up lifting without straps when I was stalling for months solely because of my grip. I think part of this has to do with my particular routine - deadlifts on a day with a lot of other grip-intensive exercises - but overall I say that straps are good.

After all, if your posterior chain is stronger than what your natural grip can hold, what are the odds you will injure yourself trying to lifting something without straps? Pretty much zero.

Straps are only bad if you use them to the extent that your basically neglect your flexors and allow them to atrophy. At that point you have fucked up.

Not to mention more and more gyms don't let you use chalks because retards get the shit everywhere.