Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I want to start boxing. I'm 23 and 195 lbs 6"2 I'm a pretty big guy.

Is it too late to compete in amatuer boxing? Lifting isn't giving me any accomplishments and I feel depressed. I want to win something and be proud of what I've done

for you

enjoy cte.. it's such a stupid sport

Amateur I don't see why now. But if lifting isn't giving you any sort of personal pride what makes you think boxing will? Do the milestones you make not matter? What about if you get to an actual match and get your ass knocked out? How will you feel then?

You can start late and still make it. Bernard Hopkins and Rocky Marciano both started on their 20s. You need to have great genetics (which you probably don't), insane discipline (which you probably don't) and great luck (which you probably don't).

being a big guy is not a plus in boxing. its a cardio sport.

You don't win anything. I want to be able to show work that i've done. I just feel lifting doesn't give that

Fellow big guy (6'4, 205), I started boxing at 24, almost 26 now. It was one of the better decisions I've made in my life. Can't say it'll be great for you, but find a reputable gym near you (one with some pros and amateurs training for fights), and take some classes.

But I'm asking what if you don't win? won't you be right where you started? Also you can compete with lifting and show progress wijth your body or how much you can lift.

>my accomplishments mean nothing unless lots of other people see them
>what is powerlifting
>beating some other sub 80iq chimp in the ring will make my depression go away
>literally everybody in the gym can see how much you are lifting, regualrs will now how far you've come
>literally everybody you meet can tell that you lift

get your shit sorted out first faggot.

really? I'm nervous to get in man

Do you guys think your big guys? Honestly I'm 6 foot 205 lbs and I still feel tiny

Recently started myself
23 years old, 6'1, 180lbs
Just go for it, I love it

made any friends?

By all means go ahead and try it but you shouldn't rely on it to fix your depression. If you can't take away any accomplishments from lifting then how will you from boxing?

I mean generally they aren't going to toss you in on your first day to get your ass beat. You're more likely going to be pushed until you break with cardio to see if you'll stick with it. I understand the nerves, I felt the same before I started, but it isn't as scary as your mind makes it out to be.

I mean, there are only two guys around my size at my gym, most boxers are manlets.

gotta keep in mind that the average nonlifter is ~ 5'11" and 155-160 lbs, up to 175 maybe if he has a gut or down to 140 if he's low bodyfat

i say do it as an outlet, a serious fitness hobby. don't worry about brain damage, just don't spar a lot and don't spar hard a lot. some people don't spar at all. also even if you do spar, on the regular and shit, you won't necessarily get any brain damage at all. a lot of it is genetics. but again a lot of it is how many times you get hit, and how hard you get hit.

oh yeah a lot of people you know or meet will hate on you. the thing is people don't know the reasons you got into it to begin with. obviously you wanna hit shit or be in combat. but you meet people at a gym and you understand they are just like anybody else out there.

Remember that brain cuts are permanent.

no you are not too old, if you have natural talent it could benefit you, as you are physically at your strongest.
There are numerous boxers who have became legends that started very late, Bernard Hopkins is one, he started at 25.

> Being a retarded faggot like this bitch

Good luck keeping a girl I can smell your vagina from over here

>195
>6'2
>big guy

bet u look emaciated cunt