Why doesn't more of Veeky Forums hunt as a way to get at least a portion of their meat?

Why doesn't more of Veeky Forums hunt as a way to get at least a portion of their meat?

>good for the environment in several ways
>healthier product
>you know that there are no additives
>fun
>allows you to socialize
>builds character

Venison is one of the best sources f protein because it's very lean and very easy to cool with.

because it's expensive and time consuming

>expensive
The cost of a gun or bow/crossbow, the ammo, your require blaze orange, and the tags and licensure.
>time consuming
You can take a single day for a few hours and come back with a kill. Afterwards, many local butcher shops will butcher your meat for a small charge.

actually working on it but it's expensive (college level money gains)

It's not something that seems fun to me. I'd rather just shoot targets sometimes and do other things with my spare time. If you enjoy doing it that's cool but it seems like more of a hassle than it's worth when you work full time. I don't really buy into the builds character thing either.

It definitely does build character. Depending on the hunting, you need to be able to be outside, on several different locales, hiking the area for hours in the day. If you just hop in an ATV an Drive to a stand, then perhaps not.

Rifle or shotgun? Shop around local pawn shops and check online kn your area for deals.

But you can do that without hunting, I go backpacking all the time

I'm not saying it's mutually exclusive, I'm stating that it does build character in part because of that.

>The cost of a gun or bow/crossbow, the ammo, your require blaze orange, and the tags and licensure.
all of this adds up to be a lot more than a steak
>You can take a single day for a few hours
for many people it's at least a 2 hour drive in addition to the actual hunting and in any case that's a lot longer than going to the local supermarket

It's more expensive than a steak once. A gun is $200, am orange vest is $5-25 depending on what you want, a box of 15 slugs is $10, and the license and tag is ~$45 each year.

You'll get many more steaks from a single kill each year than you would to buy it with that money.

>the license and tag is ~$45 each year
kek not where I live
the only big game here are reindeer and a license costs $800-$1400 for each animal
this is of course in addition to the fuel cost, gun and valid gun license

That's awful.

Being outside doesn't build character and hunting for food can often give people a holier than thou attitude.

>good for the environment
How? At best regulated hunting has a negligible effect on the environment

>no additives
Also no quality control. At least additives are stringently tested by the FDA. You're fucked if the meat has some kind of virus.

>being outside doesn't build character

Spoke like someone who doesn't go outside.

>holier than thought attitude

Never seen this before

Am dutch, and not planning on hunting the local cats.

Being put through obstacles and trials builds character. I think most people don't think hunting is a trial.

>additives
>stringently tested

Good joke.

It's good for the environment by limiting the reproduction and overpopulation of deer and limit long the spread of CWD. As well, a smaller population of deer is good for the foliage because deer tend to ravage greenery and if they start over breeding it can have nasty effects of native plants.

So hiking through rough terrain and tracking an animal isn't a "trial"?

>Never seen this before

>Spoke like someone who doesn't go outside.

Not really. I come across animals when I just go for a walk

>good for the environment in several ways
In ways that fix problems we ourselves created.
>healthier product
It's not though, muh appeal to nature fallacy.
So it's shit then.
>fun
The only correct part of this post. Killing is always fun.
>allows you to socialize
So you're one of those autists that actually talks during a hunt, eh? You've missed the point of hunting.
>builds character
Only if you have none.

It is, regulatory approval for a new additive takes forever. You're allowed to use existing additives which have done both statistically satisfactory testing to determine toxicity. Then they highball how much a consumer could eat of that additive and so even if he stuffs his face everyday for a year his intake is below toxic levels. Ever heard of anyone dying from food additives? You won't in the past half century.

The ecosystem should have sorted itself out, how is it overpopulated?

No, it's mild exercise. Maybe if you carried twenty kg and hiked over ten kilometers.

I also sleep outsite and dont shower.

Because ecosystems are made and thousands of factors that aren't always balanced.

>he doesn't talk during a hunt

Oh I'm sorry should I sit in silence around my buddies?

>he goes for a walk through hillsides with 70 degree slopes

You should just suck their dicks and get it over and done with so you can all stop with the faux macho bullshit to impress each other and just go grab a burger

Are you starting to see that holier than thou attitude I mentioned now?

> you know there are no preservatives

tell that to pic related putting special crack-like, chemically plentiful deer salt all over his property so his fat ass doesn't have to move once deer season comes around.

We didn't create the overpopulation or CWD you autist.

>hunting is about being macho

Wew what a dumb opinion.

How is any of what I said "holier than thou"? Are you upset or something?

>all hunting is setting salt licks

I do hunt for meat gains.
I have a 10/22 for rabbit and squirrel gains.

>builds character
Thanks, dad, but I think I'll pass this time

>ecosystems are made
>thousands of factors aren't always balanced
What? They're almost always balanced. If there's enough foliage to sustain more deer, the deer breed more and eat more foliage. This is basic biology. A persistent unbalanced ecosystem is impossible.

That's true if there is no outside factor. But there is, and it's called CWD.

Mostly because I'm a giant fag and don't know how. Also, I thought I would have to butcher it myself, which seems like a giant pain in the ass.

I'd really like to hunt deer, but it's not even close to where I'm living at the moment. The only thing I've ever killed for food was a squirrel and some fish years ago.

On a semi-related topic: I was talking to my vegan friends the other day and we agreed that not everyone needs to be eating meat. I personally think you shouldn't be eating meat if you wouldn't be okay with killing the animal yourself. Unfortunately we've come to just take meat for granted, unaware of the massive amount of energy and work that goes into breeding livestock and/or hunting. What do you guys think?

I think your post was a good contribution until you had to make it into some kind of faggoty vegan blog post.

Factually true but you'll trigger everyone here because mention veganism here means you're a low test cuck.

thanks kek. I was just trying to give some context

I always figured it was something you were born into. My dad is a city fag and doesn't like going outside so I never learned, but I want to. How might one get into it if I've never gone and don't have friends who go?

>Never seen this before
Every facebook post I see from people who brag about regularly hunting are "le wrong generation" tier shit about how they're manly men unlike pussy libtards and city folk, all while looking like a typical scrawny meth head who got fucked over multiple ways in the genetics lottery

Why do Americans have to romanticize acquiring food? I've seen yanks get buttmad and wax about muh hunting at the comment section of a video of draining a pond and scooping out the fish.

I don't care for game meat. It doesn't appeal to me much. I'll eat it if it's there but I don't go out of my way for it. If I happen to have my rifle and catch a glimpse of a deer roaming through the property I'll pop off a shot. In 10 years at the house I've taken 6 deer.

I do however raise chickens for them mad egg gains, and we have a rabbitry with 60 breeding does. I love rabbit meat. its a nice lean white meat like chicken. We get most of our dietary protein from eggs and rabbit

ayy yeah il go hunt a fukin farmers sheep then OP cheers

Thing that a lot of non-hunters don't realize is that we're evolved to hunt. It's coded into our genes and anatomy; our binocular vision, skill at throwing, adaptations for persistence hunting, even our language and social skills. We're the deadliest apex predators ever to walk the earth. People who claim we aren't, like Vegans, are the ecological equivalent of pretending to be female and having your dick cut off.

Google "how much does a moose quarter weigh". Some of us lift for packing moose out.

Vegans are wronger than /pol/.

Because meth and bad genetics and all they ARE still manlier than the average urban beta libtard, including the ones with huge muscles that never get used for anything other than looking pretty.

>healthier product

Wild animals have so many diseases it's not even funny. I'd rather have some quality control t.b.h

Oh shit! It's You!

I totally splurged and got some New Zealand Whites. I built enough hutches for 6 females and a male after you posted in a "what are you eating for dinner" thread on /b/.

Harvested my first batch 2 weeks ago. I decided to cull all 8 from my first litter at 9 weeks in one go instead of as needed. It was REALLY hard to do. My son cried.

My dogs absolutely freaked the fuck out over the organs. The meat was surpsingly good. Like really good. I could tell it wasn't chicken, but it was damn close and cooked well.

I'm curious what you do with the leftovers though? the bones and skin? Just throw them out?

>lean protein
Fucking love elk, would love it even more if I could harvest it myself....

I remember you saying you were thinking about it.

As to the remains I throw them in my compost bin. I have a bin I throw my stuff in that is home to a black soldier fly colony. I just toss all the bones and skin into the bin for the larvae to munch on. They clean them off in no time. Everything gets tossed in there from the rabbit carcasses to food scraps and trimmings from the garden.

I feed the BSF larvae to the chickens.

Have you put any thought into your breeding schedule? and how you'll run the rabbitry?

Start up costs for me. A rifle a proper vehicle to haul the kill. Cant really strap a deer on my kia and take it down the highway. Plus the travel i live no where near hunting areas it would take a drive to get there.

Also pure ignorance in hunting

>people should only sleep on beds only if they are willing to go through the process of making their own bed...