Military Training

I'm gonna be straight here for the past 3 year I've been doing rowing and I've fucking hated it. During the winter last of 2016 I was rowing on a Erg and I just walked out because of how much I fucking hated it and I joined planetfitness,. Since then I've gained 15 lbs (I'm bulking) and I talked to one of the trainers there and he gave me a push-pull workout rotation that's been working for me so far.

However I'm looking into the Marine Corp fitness standards and while I do pass all the required standards I want to get a perfect score. I can do 10 pullups (Max is 21), 70 pushups in 2 minutes ( max is 82), and my running time is probably 23 minutes although I haven't tried the entire running part yet (best is 18:00 minutes), and crunches although I haven't tried them I'll probably guess its 80 (best is 105).

On top of school and the shitty sport of rowing I have about 2 years to train before I enlist out of college. With that much time I'm hoping to try and make a good workout plan to get the best times and get a perfect PFT score. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Why would you enlist out of college? Why not try to get into OCS?

I want to go enlisted first so I'm not going into the military as a butterbar shithead, I'll just be a E-1 shithead :)

being prior-enlisted wont magically make you a better officer.

This.
You're just going to have to endure the shit senior enlisted Marines are going to give you.

I know but that's not the question I'm asking here. Whether I go officer or enlisted (I am considered OCS btw) I need to get my PFT score up first.

Can I ask why you want to join the military? Its often the choice for people with no education or job prospects.

Few reasons
1. Serve my country
2. Be part of something bigger than myself
3. I personally think our military is in decline and I'm not saying I'm going to be one of those shitheads that goes in and makes it my job to fix everything but I want to help in any way I can or am ordered to do.
4. People today treat life as a game with jobs that don't contribute to society at all. Yet I think the military is the opposite and is a necessary job that someone needs to do
5. Help me become a better person
6. Give me meaningful experience
7. Being able to run around in dressblues with a fucking sword while fighting dragons

No but it will magically get you more respect from enlisted

t. Enlisted AF

just do a normal full body strength program and add in a 5k training program, with emphasis on pullups.
being a good officer gets you more respect from enlisted

It doesn't matter if I'm a good officer or not when I can't even do 20 pullups thus disqualifying me from getting selected in OCS

Swim. Swimming works full body with an emphasis on cardio, abs, and lats. But of course, that advice may be a bit biased given that I joined the Navy as an officer.

>7. Being able to run around in dressblues with a fucking sword while fighting dragons
I prefer my dragon-slaying attire to be my Adidas tracksuit but hey.

>serve my country
Kek

If this is your reasoning, them dont join the military. You will be extremely disappointed. Learn what it's actually like and what they actually do before you enlist.

This is a fitness thread regardless of whether I join the military or not I need a better level of fitness based on the requirements of the USMC. I didn't come here to talk about why I want to join the military because I have plenty of other reasons that I did not share. I came here to ask for fitness advice. While I am listening to what your saying and appreciate it I am more focused on my lack of fitness.

>Marines
>Veeky Forums
>straight

>1. Serve my country

Stop doing weight routines involving your lower body. Only run and do plyometrics.

Treat chins as a main lift. Have a day with weighted chins and accessories rows as well as a volume day with lat pulldowns. Your volume day should also intensively focus on grip and bicep strength as this can limit performance.

And watch videos on how to subtly kip during chins and pull-ups to give an extra edge.
20 bodyweight chins will feel like nothing if you can do 8 with adding 40% of your bodyweight.

>Enlisted AF
>military
>living in hotels on deployments

Even better
I do calibrations nigga, I only deploy to Qatar

this is horrible advice. itll help you get your pullups up but you need lower body strength and durability in order to succeed in the infantry. with the exception of the test upper body is worthless. squats and deads will increase your ability to operate under load, which as an infantryman is what you'll need to do.

So if I was going to make a routine of this how would I do it? Like for example would a rotation of day 1 and 2 work?

Day 1:
4 sets of pull-ups till exhaustion
3 sets of chip ups till exhaustion
4 sets of 12 bicep curls
3 sets of 10 preacher curls

Day 2:
5 sets of 12 chest presses
4 sets of 10 shoulder presses
3 sets of 10 inclined bench press
3 sets of push-ups to exhaustion

And on one of the days I do 2 mile runs

How's this?

Faggot marine here, go to OCS, fuck enlistment. You'll get shit whether you enlist or become a butterbar, if you want respect, go in and run shit. As an enlisted, run your shop, squadron or whatever, as an officer, you do the same shit, you just get paid more. However, as an officer, you get to do more, you get respect from being a good fuck looking out for his marines, don't become a faggot. I fucking hate my current command because they're lazy fucks who won't do shit about anything here.
I'm enlisted with prior college, looking to commission aswell.

Also, if you want to enlist, enjoy your shit getting pushed in even by boots.

I appreciate you help and service but I'm here for fitness advice. I'm keeping my options open for both officer and enlisted but if I go into OCS literally right now I will not pass because of my lack of fitness. Therefore I am asking for help with fitness and if I fail getting selected into OCS I will go enlisted.

He's trying to meet the fitness standard in the short term. He'll have time to do heavy lower body routines when he's passed the basic stuff he needs to get the spot he wants.

Gaining a bunch of mass is counterproductive to the distance running he needs to do right now as well as getting to 20 chins. The only weighted workout that might make sense is DB farmers carries and waiter carries as sometimes that comes up in training.

Is that a fucking joke? Youre not fonna give a fuck about respect when youve got enlisted and officer alike shitting down your throat as a junior enlisted peasant living in the barracks, subjected to inspections and the most profound bullshit. All while being poor as fuck.

No one gives a shit what you were before you became a leader, just don't suck at it.

don't join the Marine corp

You are literally retarded if you dont go officer

Read the rest of the thread such as this before posting shit

Read the rest of the thread you fucking moron

In that case, work on running, work on stamina and endurance. You don't need to lift weights, you just need to work on bodyweight fitness and running. Nothing involves weight aside from ammo cans over your head from CFT. (Yes, work on your CFT/PFT quals)
Aside that, you should focus more on pull ups and less on push ups. Fuck push ups. During a PFT, you have to do 21 pull ups or push ups (you get a max score of 70 for push ups), a fast run time and crunches.
Exercise and fitness in the USMC outside of infantry is a joke, if you're a female, it is an even bigger joke.
Fitness in the USMC is literally crossfit tier, where they want you to do X amount of Y, even if you do it with absolutely no form at all, so half the time, you have marines going to medical for fucking up their legs, arms or some other shit.
I expected them to have some sort of standard for this shit, and they do, like during pull ups you're not allowed to kip, or utilize anything below your waist, but guess what everyone does anyways, kip.

TL:DR, fitness in the USMC is a joke, you can cheat and still beat everything.
The only thing you can't cheat is the running, good fucking luck.

My personal advice? Work on your endurance, this is the killer thing for everyone joining, and do sprints. A fuckton of sprints and running in general, you're supposed to do 3 miles, work on running 4-5 miles about 2-3 times a week.

If you have any specific questions, just drop them, also there are more marines and military around obviously telling you that you are retarded if you don't do OCS, so they might answer aswell.

Thanks for your help. For a while now I've gained a decent amount of weight from bulking (15lbs) should I continue or start cutting weight. I weigh 155 lbs and am a 5'6" manlet

Stop bulking, don't cut, maintain your bodyweight and do what you do. You'll be using up a shitton of energy just trying to stay awake everyday from all the bullshit that you'll go through.
If you are going to go enlist, you'll turn into an eating monster, and you'll eat everything in your way. I can't speak about OCS.
I'm a manlet aswell, and I do good to carry my weight outside of running.

You could try this:
evey back day, warm up with the lat pulldown machine so that you've done at least 50% of your body weight before doing chins.
Day 1:
warmup.
weighted chins 5x5
5x10 seated rows or tbar rows
5x25 ft farmers walks
Day 2:
5x5 incline bench
5x5 ab rollouts or pot stirrers with a swiss ball
10xfailure pushups
10x20 band pull aparts
Day3:
warmup
1xfailure pullups
lat pulldowns 5x10
One armed lat pulldowns 5x20
5xgrip the bar until you fail.
Remainder of Week: 1x5 pullups each day, maybe a few more, but only to work the movement pattern. You also can also do your cardio training during this time or also at the end of your lifting days.

You do this for a month adding 5-10 lbs per week. After the first month, add additional accessory sets of curls, facepulls, rear delt flies in the 10-20 rep range. You don't want to add too much stuff too quickly because your brain needs some time to adapt.

Basically this is set up so Day 1 will build max strength while Day 3 will ensure that you can test for carry over of low rep strength gains to high rep work. The grip work is not optional. Ab work (abwheel) and leg work (farmers) is present but is designed to get you good at carrying shit and give you ab strength for situps and planks.
This isn't a workout you should follow after you meet the requirements. As you get closer to when you need to do the test, start throwing in more shit that is directly similar to the test standard such as 3x25 pullups.

another thing to consider is doing a bunch of prehab.
If you get shin splints during training for runs, switch to cycling, rowing, or stairmaster and slowly ramp up volume again.

Avoid stupid stuff like rucking as training.

Thanks for all you're help I'm definetly gonna try this out

>People today treat life as a game with jobs that don't contribute to society at all
Instead of joining the military you should educate yourself on economics

dude that guy in the pic isnt a marine