This seems important but I see so little material on it

This seems important but I see so little material on it.

I'm interested in strength and power, but I also had some injuries which I'm doing accessory work to prevent from re-occurring.

For injuries, physical therapists tell me to do 2 sets of 15 reps of exercise X, everyday. Does this not interfere with recovery? Is 2 sets of 15 enough? Can you make gains doing 2 light sets of 15 everyday? Why do they prescribe this daily program?

And what about "structural" or "postural" muscle, e.g. face-pulls? Since we want these muscles to be constantly strong, or toned, or tense (???????) should high-rep, light-weight work be used? Or is it better to increase their strength with low-rep, high-weight exercise?

I've heard that smaller muscles need more reps to be stressed adequately, but is there a basis to this or is it just what people "feel"? Or is it just that you can't work smaller muscles with heavy weights and so you have to give them higher volumes?

And what does "recovery" mean, anyway? How do I know if I've recovered? If I get enough sleep I can feel fine 48 hours later after going relatively heavy on some lifts, so is it OK to go heavy again, or do should I wait longer to enable optimum training? Or is it even OK to go heavy even if I haven't fully "recovered"? Can I train my ability to recover by pushing myself before recovering fully?

These are the main questions I have. It's practically impossible to get information about lifting for FITNESS amidst all the goddamn noise about "muh hypertrophy".

I have no desire for hypertrophy. I want performance and I'll trust that a well-functioning body will be plenty attractive enough.

I have a proposal for a new board rule: Any discussion of hypertrophy or muscular cross-section should be done in the context of improving strength, power and fitness.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8UhvC7049wk
youtube.com/watch?v=UB5lEGUMxFk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC128932/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ctrl+f : "?"
>21 results

chekt

too lazy to read OP, pls summarize

checked

Sorry for asking questions on a discussion board, I should've shitposted something about zyzz and "making it". Sorry for pushing you outside you're comfort zone

Is there any program that isn't asspull?

>Sorry for pushing you outside you're comfort zone
Why the fuck would you ask 12+ questions in a single OP? This is probably part of the reason you're single. Don't assume everyone is as autistic as you are.

>Why the fuck would you ask 12+ questions in a single OP?
They're related...

But hasn't anyone wondered why PTs give you 2 sets of 15 daily? This is very different from the common advice but nobody seems to notice or care.

>I have a proposal for a new board rule: Any discussion of hypertrophy or muscular cross-section should be done in the context of improving strength, power and fitness.
Fuck off

>For injuries, physical therapists tell me to do 2 sets of 15 reps of exercise X, everyday. Does this not interfere with recovery? Is 2 sets of 15 enough? Can you make gains doing 2 light sets of 15 everyday? Why do they prescribe this daily program?
Move. Your body can't heal if you don't move it. Move the injured bodypart as much as you can. (Obviously not in a way that hurts. If you do that you're retarded. And by moving I mean moving and not lifting.) And no, it's not nearly enough. I know a lot of pysio therapists and they only tell you to do the bare minimum because of all the degenerate fucks out there who are even too lazy to do that.

>Can I train my ability to recover by pushing myself before recovering fully?
No. Don't be retarded.

>I have no desire for hypertrophy. I want performance and I'll trust that a well-functioning body will be plenty attractive enough.
Then don't just lift you fucking retard. Go do some gymnastics or acrobatics or parkour or anything where you don't just practice picking heavy things up and putting them down again. Lifting is fine but it shouldn't be everything you do if you don't just want "aesthetics" or strenght in some very limited movement patterns.

>I know a lot of pysio therapists and they only tell you to do the bare minimum because of all the degenerate fucks out there who are even too lazy to do that.
So there is no reason to do 2 sets of 15? Are they just going for 45sec-1min under load?

>>>Can I train my ability to recover by pushing myself before recovering fully?
>No. Don't be retarded.
I don't see why this is retarded at all. Recovery is a physiological process and the entire strength training practice is based on manipulating the body's desire for homeostasis.

>Then don't just lift you fucking retard.
You don't understand, which says a lot about you. I want to be strong and able. If my muscles get bigger in the process, that's fine. I'm sick of these insecuretons who just want to look good. Looking good and being fit are two different things and shouldn't share the same board. All these people trying to "get big" are perpetually confusing the conversation and making it harder to find information about becoming stronger and more fit.

It's like you're trying to have a conversation about becoming rich but there's a bunch of people who won't stop talking about try to get as many credit cards as possible, like that's the same thing

faggot

weak-ass hypertrofag detected

>So there is no reason to do 2 sets of 15? Are they just going for 45sec-1min under load?
No, you should do them. And then again later in the day. And then another time. What I meant to say was that if the PT tells the patient to do a lot of excercises the patients don't do them. So instead they tell the patients to do just a little bit so there is al least *some* improvement.

>I don't see why this is retarded at all. Recovery is a physiological process and the entire strength training practice is based on manipulating the body's desire for homeostasis.
You don't need to recover fully before *every* session but if you just keep training and training you'll fuck your shit up. Just listen to your body,

>You don't understand, which says a lot about you.
What exactly don't I understand and what does that say about me? Genuine question.

You soundtrack like a massive
Fucking faggot

>And then again later in the day. And then another time.
What about recovery?

>if you just keep training and training you'll fuck your shit up. Just listen to your body
I guess there's systemic stress vs muscular stress... but isn't the main risk from systemic stress bad form?

>What exactly don't I understand
that you can want to get strong/fit but not care about your looks

hypertrofag phoneposter, shocking

>What about recovery?
I don't know your specific case of course but generally moving an injured bodypart in a non painful way generally leads to better recovery. If you stop using a bodypart your body gives up on it. Pic related. But don't max out obv.

>that you can want to get strong/fit but not care about your looks
Read again what I wrote. I was agreeing with you and advising you to not just lift if you want to be fit and not just "fit"

Also go check out Ido Portal and Movement Culture if you don't know about them already.
youtube.com/watch?v=8UhvC7049wk

youtube.com/watch?v=UB5lEGUMxFk

>generally moving an injured bodypart in a non painful way generally leads to better recovery
Ok, we're confusing two kinds of recovery, I'm referring to "strength recovery adaptation" recovery, not injury recovery.

PTs will have you do what are basically accessory exercises like that, it's not so much a joint massage.

Ah, sorry. My english isn't perfect.
I still think you should check out Ido. What you wrote is rather similar to what he teaches

>For injuries, physical therapists tell me to do 2 sets of 15 reps of exercise X, everyday. Does this not interfere with recovery? Is 2 sets of 15 enough? Can you make gains doing 2 light sets of 15 everyday? Why do they prescribe this daily program?
Answers to all these questions depend on the type of injury and the exercise. Is there a reason why you didn't specify them, or are you just retarded?
The purpose of post-injury PT exercises is fucking therapy, not "gains". Like, if you have a fucked up shoulder and are prescribed rotator cuff work, that's not to make the rotator muscles grow or be able to externally rotate 50kg dumbbells, but to help stabilize the fucking joint.

>that's not to make the rotator muscles grow
>but to help stabilize the fucking joint
those go hand in hand

I had it pain from squatting and they gave me clam shells and side leg raises. They also prescribed leg presses for patellar pain with the same programming desu

8/10 troll thread. Almost got me.

I'm actually quite serious. Actually I'm modifying my face pull programming given how little anyone knows and since it's more of a PT pull

so do you guys think it's ok to do 3x15 face pulls everyday, or should I go every other day?

2x15 gets you a nice pump even with light weights.
And
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC128932/
>Tendon is a comparatively poorly vascularised tissue that relies heavily upon synovial fluid diffusion to provide nutrition. During tendon injury, as with damage to any tissue, there is a requirement for cell infiltration from the blood system to provide the necessary reparative factors for tissue healing. We describe in this review the response of the vasculature to tendon damage in a number of forms, and how and when the revascularisation or

You know what.
We need to talk about recovery.
Natural people simply do not comprehend recovery. Or the amount of stress that training places upon the body.

They simply don't get it.

>Tendon
This is perhaps the heart of the matter...

>They simply don't get it.
What don't we get?

Yeah so basically tendons and other connective tissue needs a lot of blood flow to heal. Blood flow that won't further damage the tissue. How to achieve this? High reps, low weight. It's not really done to a level that will cause microtears in conditioned muscles so it's not a problem to do it daily.

This is why I go one 2-3 long walks a week with my dog. He likes it and it just is a nice low impact way to get the blood flowing.

So if I start to get soreness in a tendon, I could just do a some really light sets and actually speed my recovery... that's cool

That recovery is as if not MORE important then the actual lift.
You have to take recovery into account. Because unless you recover adequately not just from the lift but during the lift then you're doing fuck all.

Even worse you're setting yourself back and going to hurt yourself and eventually hit the wall.
You'll see injuries, you'll feel emotional turmoil, every thing will hurt and every action you attempt will feel like it's a massive slog.
You'll just be completely fucking out of it.
It will shorten your life and ensure that you'll have a terrible time of it in your twilight years.
Make no mistake.

So doing the same lifts every other day is literally worse than smoking? How do I know if my recovery is "adequate"?

So high rep calisthenics and moderate weight lifting is indeed the way to bullet proof and heal your joints and ligaments.
However the high amount of use of your joints will lead to pain later on.

fucks sake...yeah it is
it super horrible bruh
really horrible

user, from your flippant post, you literally do not and never will do enough to ever overtrain.
You're safe.

>It will shorten your life and ensure that you'll have a terrible time of it in your twilight years.
Am I really off-base acting like your warning was literally dire? Because that's literally dire.

I've been doing full-body routines every other day. Mostly accessory-type work, but I'm working in leg presses and strict presses and am curious if I need to space them out more. I'm not as worried about my cross-bench dumbbell pullovers, which actually seem to be helping with my chostochondritis. I do wonder about the lat pulldowns, though

read the fucking sticky you nigger

Not so fast.
Muscles can heal in days. Tendons take weeks, or even months. You can speed this up a little but if you strongly suspect that one of your tendons is tearing taking two weeks off and then reloading weight over several weeks can be the way to go.

Being worn down from those moderately strenuous exercises is completely different from being completely wrecked physically mentally and emotionally from long periods of hard training and dieting.

The former has built in rest periods for newbs and people who simply have no idea. The latter is where people who listen to gear heads and lying retards who're hiding their secret dieting secret of doing DNP and nearly dying.

>if you strongly suspect that one of your tendons is tearing
What if it's just a little sore during my first set?

>people who listen to gear heads and lying retards who're hiding their secret dieting secret of doing DNP and nearly dying
I really don't understand why people would do that shit

Sometimes I miss the shit out of the Classical Greeks desu

RMT here may I chip in my two cents?

Homeostasis and the bodies efforts to attain it are not to be taken lightly. And that goes double or even triple depending on your unique health history.

Let's take a knee that I was working on recently. MCL grade I, I spent some time working quads, vqm, bi Fi, semi MT, and proximal half of the distal leg. I chose to use a low grade of oscillating distractions to pump synovial fluid via successive action over a minute and a half, tapering down the distraction amplitude for the last thirst seconds. Lastly, lymph drainage from the knee up to promote further lymph cycling.

Movement after treatment is highly recommended, especially if they are back at work and are sitting at a desk for close to 8 hour or more. I recommend a quick 5 minute walk every hour just to get that joint moving beyond the under desk knee range of motion exercise I assign.

Like above posters shared, it's really sad that experienced therapists get jaded and start to slip and give less and less remedial so that the client is forced to see them or another CAM modality for longer periods of time.

Do the fucking self care. There's us care and you care. You care involves following prescribed exercises that we have given you so that the next time we see you there is a palpable difference to tests and measurements.