The Eternal Question

OHP before bench, or bench before OHP?

first is the one you want to improve more, second is the one you want to act as an accessory to the first.

Day 1:
Bench T1
OHP T2 (lighter, more reps)

Day 2:
OHP T1
Bench T2

easy as piss

or just pick one to focus on and do the other as an accessory movement

I prefer the OHP as an exercise but following some heavy sets my bench is completely depleted and my anterior delts usually fail. If I do bench first I progress quickly but my OHP is eternally stuck.

Can you solve this by doing a tighter grip bench with less elbow flaring after OHP to make sure there's a larger emphasis on chest and tricep?

I've also read that your anterior delts being tired will force the body to engage more of the tricep and chest to make up for it, meaning that lower weights might not necessarily mean lower intensity. Any opinions on this?

You guys are currently having an exercise discussion on a homossexual fat fetish forum. Probably wont Get much attention.

Id like an answer to this too though

if you move your grip in on bench press you will naturally need to touch lower on your torso, which increases the moment arm between the weight and your front delts - this means your front delts do more work, not less work

you can do something like this (stolen from GZCLP)

Day 1
Bench 4x3, 1xAMRAP
OHP 3x10
+ a bench/ohp accessory that focuses on your weakpoint (3-4 sets of higher reps)

Day 2
OHP 4x3, 1xAMRAP
Bench 3x10
+ a bench/ohp accessory that focuses on your weakpoint (3-4 sets of higher reps)

with the 3x10, just get the reps in with good form and only aim to progress when you feel you can
with the AMRAP, leave a rep in the tank

>he does THE PRESS on the same day as bench

>Day A
Squats
Bench
Rows

>Day B
Squats
OHP
DL

Is it bad if I skipped DL because my back is fucked

skip* rather

DL is the manliest lift.

You didn't answer my q you fat fuck

Yes.

if your back is fucked avoid back exercises which could aggrevate it, ie deadlift, pull ups, rows etc. Avoid them till you seek actual medical help rather than some basket weaving armchair opinion without knowing your details. Then rehab appropriately working back up with form

i thought my arms were supposed to be in front of me for shoulder press otherwise it would strain my rotator cuff. doesn't feel good for seated db press
>never tried the OHP

Depends on how fucked it is. OP here and I have slight scoliosis, my back is sort of curved out and to the side. Doing deadlifts while being very careful about correct form and not vanity lifting has made my back feel much better from day-to-day, no pain when I wake up in the morning or anything. You should probably talk to a doctor though, if you've got any serious condition/slipped disk.
It's a great exercise, it would be a shame to discard it if you don't have to.

>if you move your grip in on bench press you will naturally need to touch lower on your torso, which increases the moment arm between the weight and your front delts - this means your front delts do more work, not less work
Thanks for the answer senpai, guess I'll keep focusing on the OHP first and bench second and maybe switch it around every couple of weeks.
I've seen it stated that flaring elbows will increase anterior delt participation, and having elbows close to your sides will decrease it, I'm no expert on anatomy though.

When you write a bench/ohp accessory are you thinking about things like dumbbell variants and incline bench?

OHP for Bench in my case. OHP 3x5 (focus on strength), bench 3x10 (less weight, more volume).

yeah DB variants, incline bench, dips, etc. anything that has carryover to the main pressing movement that day

for example if your chest is shit and bottlenecking your bench, you might hit the DB bench hard that day, or if your triceps are the weak link you might do dips

>Doing OHP and bench on the same day
Ha

Don't do then on the same day.

But ppl says same day

this. But if you REALLY must, I believe its better to do OHP first otherwise it's fucking crippled beyond reason and then just do lower weight and more reps on bench.. then next time when you do heavy bench, don't even bother with OHP.

OHP is more alpha when the weight is decent

I do OHP and bench in same day and have been doing so for the last 2 years, hell if anything it's the reason why my bench went from 80kg to 135kg.

OHP doesn't have the hip thrust and doesn't give you a firm round arse.

Don't do them at the same day
Actually don't do bench at all
OHP >>>>> Bench
If ya want big OHP numbers, do warm up and then directly your 1RM or new 1RM then go down pyramids

bench before OHP, except after cleans, or when sounding like 'a' as in 'lifting is gay'

Do a pulling movement in between you dingus

Ew dude. Did you fucking fart?

I'm still dyel, but my bench went from like 115 in july to 165 on my last session, 3x5

OHP went from like maybe 65 or something to 115 on my last session.

Second reply is pretty much what I did. First push day, bench at max working weight, then OHP at like 80-90%. Second push day, OHP at max working weight and then bench lighter.

For instance, last couple of sessions were Bench 165 3x5, then OHP 95 5x5. Pull day, leg day, next Push day was 115 OHP 3x5, and then 145 on bench 5x5. Then incline DB press and accessories after. I haven't stalled yet, but honestly the last two OHP sessions were hard as fuck. Need to eat more, I don't want to hit a plateau yet..