Veeky Forumsizens over 25, what kind of advice/warning/comment/conversation/etc would you give your younger self?

Veeky Forumsizens over 25, what kind of advice/warning/comment/conversation/etc would you give your younger self?
pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5214219/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dont fall for the milk meme and never listen to anything Veeky Forums ever has to say.

28 here, been lifting since 23. I would honestly have told myself not to fall for the SS meme, and to stretch more, like A LOT, like do yoga more. I would tell myself to stretch and stick to bodybuilding routines and up the weight when you can knock out 4 sets of 12 reps with a given weight. I put in a lot of time at the gym doing SS/SL/and 5/3/1 when all I really wanted to do was get huge, what I got was a herniated disc and a labrum tear. Now I take it easy in the gym and do almost entirely isolation exercises with mostly dumbbells and hardly ever touch barbells. I'm putting on good muscle and not fucking hurting myself every week.

Stretch and stay away from meme routines

Fast food is what gets everyone

It's called STARTING strength for a reason m80

As I said, I moved past it but stayed with strength style routines. I did TM and 5/3/1. Got strong but it fucked me up. Those routines are just so hard on the body

31, I'd tell myself to focus on combat sports until my 18th birthday and then start lifting.

Also I'd tell myself to invest in Apple, Tesla and ButCoins but that's another story and not fit related

No need for advice, what you need to pick up you will.

>5/3/1
>Hard on the body.
What?
You don't think bodybuilding routines will keep you peddling baby weights right?

Do not do conventional deadlifts as you're a retard stick to sumo otherwise keep on keeping on and never ever listen to a sub 150 lbs person on fit.

Again, not concerned about how much weight is being moved, more concerned with high reps, solid form, full muscle contractions and stretches, making good gains. This is easily achieved with dumbbells and machines

explain?
I'm currently bulkan, should I still worry about that?

Work on your social life, no one gives a fuck how much you lift.

Any yoga routines or apps you'd recommend?

Agreed

Strength training is a meme and so is pretending to not want to look like a sick cunt. You're saying that to excuse the fact that you look like shit because it makes you a "real lifter".

"High volume doesn't work for natties" is a 9/11 tier conspiracy. I don't know where this shit came from but as soon as I switched to 1x a week extremely high volume I fucking exploded. The general rule is "if you think you're doing too much, you're just being a pussy".

Rep ranges are a meme. You can build strength with sets of 30+, and endurance by building your 1rm. If you're stalling, pick a range you've never done before and you're guaranteed to break your plateau.

Percentages are useless. They're made by people to sell programs. Once you've been lifting for a year you should have the know how and body awareness to lift by feel alone. This will allow you to make the most of great days, and not beat yourself up over bad days, and let's your body do natural periodization that's perfectly custom to you.

Deadlifts and squats are overyhyped to shit. Your lower back is holding you back because these two lifts tax this muscle significantly, and its recovery rate is dogshit in just about everyone. Get over your powerlifting nonsense and ditch them for trap bar diddlies which have the trap/upper back benefits of the conventional DL and the leg benefits of the squat with none of the low back fatigue.

Curls are fucking awesome, and your lmao +3pl8 chin isn't doing shit for your 16in arms. Point is, do isolation on key areas: shoulders, traps, arms. Those are mine, they're usually different for everyone.

Cardio actually increases gains by increasing the amount of DHT receptors. Basically it makes your current free test levels more potent.

Doing burnout sets increases the amount of satelite cells attached to the muscle cells, which donate nuclei to the muscle cell which allows the muscle cell to become larger. This is basically roiding as a natty.

If you want a strong core you should do ab isolation work. Heavy compounds build abs is a meme. Further if you want appreciable size gains do assistance lifts, don't be afraid of curling or doing tricep pushdowns. Heavy compound barbell lifts will give you strength but aren't as good for body building.

increasing your volume of weight lifted per workout is as important as increasing your maxes.

What do you do for stretches?

Ask out more girls. Rejection now only makes future rejection more bearable, and you might even get a qt gf out of it.

-dont do a strength routine for more than 5-6 months max
-dont bother lifting more than 2-3 times a week if natty
-get into martial arts
-major in something you like, not based on financial prospects
-never get married
-spend more time with your family

I bet you're a framecel and should have been a distance runner prey type as God intended

>-major in something you like, not based on financial prospects
this is a meme
t. poorfag who followed his dream

1) eat healthy, its easy
2) spend less
3) start lifting

I'd probably just murder myself and take my own place though. If i was 18 that would be, what, 9 years of my life "lost" as far as anyone would know, and I wouldn't be such a fucking retard and would be in a much better place right now.

if you like arts more than computer science or engineering your life is a meme

Lose those last 10 kgs first and then slowly bulk instead of spinning your wheels for a year.

Get heavily into calisthenics, lifting is good but add that in to bullet proof your joints.

Do more back work you'll need it.

Squatting is not for you. Don't listen to those idiots and most of the guys who're all about the squat rack have one thing in common. They are all, every single one of them. Shorter then you.

Sprinting, hill running bodyweight squats and bulgarian split squats are all you need.

Distance running isn't really for you bruh. Stop beating yourself up for not being able to do it.
You're 300ish fucking pounds and most of that is muscle. You don't have the fucking energy for that.

Stick to sprints and hill running. You built ridiculous fucking muscle mass and gained lots of strength and endurance from it. Keep doing it.

Exercise is not just lifting. It's three things
A way to improve athletic performance
A way to help get rid of the kinks and pains here and there
A way to focus mental energies into something positive.

Lifting arbitrary numbers of weight a certain number of times is pointless when it comes to increasing your strength and mass. Keep going by feel. Only overcoming resistance and consistent well thought out safe effort is how you do things.

Give up on bodybuilding, all of those guys, every single one of them, is on fucking MASSIVE amounts of gear

You can not get cut and be swole as a natural. It doesn't work. You can be cut or you can be built. Never at the same time.

You'll always be unhappy with how you look user. It's part of the body dysmorphia, depression, anxiety, and the feelings of guilt from that thing that happened to you when you were a boy.

You should take dieting more seriously bruh.

>to 18 year old me:
>just do sit-ups and leg raises, they won't give you tight hip flexors if you do lunges
>do lunges - see above, plus they are great for explosiveness, balance and glute activation
>recomp most of the year
>if you're on a cut - go down to 10%, if you're on a bulk don't go above 15%
>don't forget about your rotator cuff - facepulls and rear delt raises at least once a week
>a separated shoulder is worth 2-3 weeks of rest, the flu isn't - not the opposite, you retard
>eat big is a meme, there is never a reason to eat more than 300kcal above maintenance
>buy a pair of adjustable dbs and a pull-up bar so you can train at home when you're overloaded with work or you're snowed in
>never deadlift consistently for high-reps
>don't go past neutral during hyperextenstions, that's why your spine feels like it's made of pain

back when I was a kid:
>never start smoking
>eating a can of tuna and an apple per day means all your time in the gym is wasted
>never visit Veeky Forums

Dont get depressed :')

Honestly I'd tell him not to listen to the toxic shit that gets spewed on this website and others, to not worry about being "beta" and as a result avoid being a shitty human being to his friends and lovers. I remember being so afraid of "humiliation" and social failure that I did things to people I now regret very much.

lol what's wrong with tuna and apples mate?

>be 15
>going to gym for first time
>don't have a clue what I'm doing
>monday after school: 1000 sit-ups, 100 pull-ups, 12X10 on pec deck
>eat ONE apple in the morning and ONE can of tuna in the evening
lost 20kgs in two months, developed arrhythmia and puked everyday at least three times

>and your lmao +3pl8

Nobody 3 plates chinups and if they do then yes they have big arms

That's a pretty metal routine though

keked out loud, thanks user

I can do 125 lbs added for one rep and don't have big arms

I highly recommend it if you want to look like an anemic skeletor for halloween and/or corrode your teeth from the constant puking.

I do. That was a message to my younger self ya dingus.

i think he meant he ONLY ate that during a day

stay away from heroin and cocaine

Don't do SS, go to cc, assume all girls are easy sluts, don't do jobs if they're going to pay you shit, and keep working out no matter how shitty you feel

>disregard stacy and brandy
>acquire average 6/10 korean qt3.14

Dont go raw with that older dude across the street

Don't ever listen to trolls like this

Jack off with left hand also

Care to explain what's wrong about it instead of just shitposting your fragile attempt to cope?

Prioritizing upper back training and shoulders will make you look better than 99% of the people lifting in the gym.

@article{lauer2017meeting,
title={Meeting usdhhs physical activity guidelines and health outcomes},
author={Lauer, E Earlynn and Jackson, Allen W and Martin, Scott B and Morrow Jr, James R},
journal={International Journal of Exercise Science},
volume={10},
number={1},
pages={121},
year={2017},
publisher={Western Kentucky University}
}

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5214219/

get scientific advice.

Not him, but fine:

>Strength training is a meme
Strength training =resistance training = lifting. Lifting is a meme? You probably meant "training exclusively for strength."

>High volume doesn't work for natties
If by high volume you mean "the volumes used by roiders" then yes: it won't work on natties. That's one of the reasons why people use roids - to make it possible to recover from very high volumes.

>Rep ranges are a meme
Not according to every study ever done, and the basic principle of specificity. They are not as set in stone and clear-cut as some think, that's why even bbs have strenght periods - but they are definitely not a meme.

>Percentages are useless.
No.
>body awareness to lift by feel alone...
Microperiodization, sure. But you still gotta track your percentages to make sure you're on track.

>Deadlifts and squats are overyhyped to shit.
Kinda.

>Your lower back is holding you back
Hypers, they were invented for a reason.

>Curls are fucking awesome
Sure. That's why everyone on here makes fun of "no curls allowed" memers.

>Cardio actually increases gains
Again, everyone who thinks otherwise is constantly made fun of.

>This is basically roiding as a natty.
Not even close.

>Strength training =resistance training = lifting. Lifting is a meme? You probably meant "training exclusively for strength."
>being this autistic over word choice
lol

>If by high volume you mean "the volumes used by roiders" then yes: it won't work on natties. That's one of the reasons why people use roids - to make it possible to recover from very high volumes.
Define volume used by roiders. Because as a natty, the more volume you do, the more gains. Your body won't be able to complete reps when you're at your limit. Vs roiders, who can blow out tendons with moderate weights due to their skeletal muscle recovering much more quickly than their soft tissue. Natties don't have this problem, and I've never hit a point where I did "too much" and regressed or suffered anything other than terrible DOMS.

>Not according to every study ever done, and the basic principle of specificity
Most recent studies actually indicate that streg- sorry, "training exclusively for strength" aka 1-5 reps and using lighter weights and more volume taken to volitional failure yield the same strength adaptations, but the higher volume groups get more hypertrophy.

>No.
Compelling

.>Microperiodization, sure. But you still gotta track your percentages to make sure you're on track.
So weekly periodization. Monthly periodization is useless unless you're working in the 1-6ish rep range and are actively training for increased maxing. My point is that just going in their and killing it as hard as you can that day has gotten me continual great gains, and helped me avoid wasting good gym sessions on "easy" days and suffering defeat on "hard" days when my body just wasn't good to go, or the mindset wasn't there.

>Hypers, they were invented for a reason.
Or just exchange 2 shitty movements for a good one.

>everyone on here makes fun of "no curls allowed" memers.
Half the people on this board are SS neophytes. I wouldn't bother saying something with a clear consensus on it.

>Again, everyone who thinks otherwise is constantly made fun of.
See last point.

>Not even close.
Compelling. Obviously it doesn't equate to roids, but if you think it's useless you've never done intentional localized overtraining/reaching.

>lol
People on here constantly confuse the two for some reason, it's worth pointing out.

>Your body won't be able to complete reps when you're at your limit.
Most of the other shit is just nit-picking. But you're being really silly on this one. What, you start failing reps the instant you hit MRV?

>Most recent studies
Link if you have it.

>Compelling
Yeah, fuck quantifying progress.

>wasting good gym sessions on "easy" days and suffering defeat on "hard" days when my body just wasn't good to go, or the mindset wasn't there.
Again, no problem with that if you're not chasing a max. But you still gotta keep things on some kind of predefined pace, otherwise you fuck up consistent frequency. "I'm just going to do an extra set of chins, oh and maybe throw in some skulls even if that's not on todays list, hey - maybe I could use some calf work..." and yeah - you're fucked in no time.

>Or just exchange 2 shitty movements for a good one.
When you went from "over-hyped" to "shitty" you lost me. Also of gyms don't have trap-bars and if you have a home gym - there's probably tones of more important things you could buy. Also, you should probably do hypers or something even if you trap-bar deadlift.

>but if you think it's useless you've never done intentional localized overtraining/reaching.
It's not useless, I doubt there is anyone on here who doesn't use over-reaching at least occasionally. But it's got a time and place, over-reaching constantly - like you suggest in your posts - defeats the whole point of it. It ceases to be "reaching" and becomes "not recovering."

>What, you start failing reps the instant you hit MRV?
I start failing reps when I can't recover quickly enough and my work capacity gets pushed to its limit... Just like everyone else.

>link
Find it yourself, idgaf if you believe me.

>Yeah, fuck quantifying progress
I consistently add total volume done each week either via reps, sets, or weight. It's pretty quantifiable. Please explain why I need to periodize when what I'm doing is not only working extremely well for me, but I can just look at my log and see if the total volume is going up?

>"I'm just going to do an extra set of chins..."
Are you just assuming I don't have a routine? I don't just walk into my garage and go "Yeah, let's do some back stuff, some forearm stuff, and some ab wheel shit too".

I have structure, just not a planned progression for adding weight other than feel. If I'm feeling good, I add sets compared to the previous week. If I'm doing too many sets of a rep range for a movement, I add weight. If it feels lighter than normal, I add weight. Shit isn't hard if you aren't retarded or new to lifting.

>When you went from "over-hyped" to "shitty" you lost me
The only thing they're good for is getting a large ass. That's it. Squats can get you big legs, but so can literally any other leg movement without getting you a gigantic woman ass.

>if you have a home gym
I do.

>there's probably tones of more important things you could buy
Not really. That "probably" is pretty telling. After an oly bar, cage, and a bench it's the most important piece of equipment I've purchased - and it was only like $170.

>you should probably do hypers or something
Why? The only thing hypers are good for is low back recovery. It's shitty as a strength accessory, and it's useless for aesthetics if you're already doing a pull off the floor, which I advocate.

>It's not useless
Thanks for being honest.

>I doubt there is anyone on here who doesn't use over-reaching at least occasionally
Again, half this board is still doing novice progression, and I've never heard mention of nucleus overload on here once. Just because you have doesn't mean most people have. I get that you want to wag your dick around saying "Oh, oh, me, I know about that!", but no one fucking cares, man.

Then you most likely have body dysphoria.

To ditch this line by line shit for a bit: at first you claimed to "just go in there and kill it as hard as you can" and to just "go by feel." That everything from rep ranges to consistent volume is a complete meme. Which is retarded, Piana tier advice.

Now you say that you have a set routine, structure, consistently add volume, and keep a log. Just that you keep the exact volume (and I assume intensity) open ended. Which is not nearly the same thing.

>a large ass
>bad
Seriously? A nice ass is pretty much up there with abs in terms of what women admire about guys in my neck of the woods.

>It's shitty as a strength accessory and for aesthetics
Don't know what the fuck you're on about.

>That "probably" is pretty telling.
So not being able to afford a home-gym is a crime? And if I could , I would rather buy some nice bumpers for oly lifts or a decent rowing machine or even a db rack over a trap-bar. But that wasn't even the original point, which is that squatting and deadlifting might be overhyped and have alternatives - but calling them "shitty" is memeing from the opposite direction.

>"Oh, oh, me, I know about that!", but no one fucking cares, man.
So using the term "over-reaching" (which you bought up) makes me pretentious? Yeah, sure mate. Have a nice night/day.

If you got more serious you could legitimately say you've been lifting for 10 years, and you'd be a swole god. Instead you're cutting again because your bulk got out of control. And stop drinking so much before 26 it would've helped mate. Also if you wanted to experiment with group sex you should have done it with the last one because you and her weren't very serious and she could've been convinced.

1. Get on tren ASAP, don't wait for 25th cakeday
2. Ice cream feels good for a day, not having the ice cream feels good for every day of your life after that
3. Get your hands off your dick and talk to women
4. You're farther than you think from a good looking body. That said, you're not as shitty as you think you are either, just within that big central bulge of the normal distribution, a little bit to the right.
5. We all have some sort of standards we'd like to see in a potential partner. If I told you to write down 10 things you'd want to see in a girl, you'd probably find some easily, and one with all 10 would be your unicorn. But do consider every combination. Sooner rather than later a girl who's going to meet 9 of those standards is going to walk into your life. She will be the best you've ever had up to now physically, emotionally, and sexually. But she will be taller than you, and her family and your family won't stop taking the piss about it. Don't succumb to them. She can see past it, why can't you? Be a fucking man. Stand up for yourself. Or live with the fact that when you crack and say goodbye you can and will find a girl who's hotter, or one who's smarter, or one who makes you laugh harder, but none of them will be all of those things. None of them will come close to filling out so much of your list again. And none of them will quite fill the emotional void in your heart she left behind.
6. Stop benching like a retard and respect your shoulders.

>never get married
>spend more time with your family

Don't try to invent exercises
Don't take your knees and shoulders for granted.

have you experienced any negative side effects from tren - how expensive is it?

Marrying is signing a contract

>That... consistent volume is a complete meme
Please link to where I said, or even hinted at this. You're just making shit up at this point.

>So using the term "over-reaching"
No, now you're just being an illiterate idiot. Assuming that this garbage dump of a board full of novice lifters knows anything about that, and on top of that actively use it is ridiculous argument and makes you "pretentious".

Everything else you wrote after is completely irrelevant to anything you were originally arguing against.

dats a dick butt in the butt of a dick butt inside another dickbutts butt

>You're 300ish fucking pounds and most of that is muscle.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was like a dollar a pellet for 90 pellets

Positives
>your libido will go through the roof
>like you know how in college the sexual assault people like to pretend every man is actively suppressing his innate urge to rape everything? YOU WILL BECOME THAT MAN
>you could probably make it all the way through the rich piana workout
>incredible amounts of LBM gain
>incredibly vivid dreams

Negatives
>if you're susceptible to baldness you will lose all your hair. thankfully i got dem dere hair retention genetics
>i might keel over one day but i'm fine now

>mfw not even finasteride and rogaine could save my hairline from my first tren cycle

Just go /bezosmode/ brah

Best squatters in the world are tall you stupid fuck. Ray williams is 6'. Strongman competitors are all 6'4+, some of them crazy tall like 6'8". It's about proportions, not height. When it comes to powerlifting, the tall heavyweights squat more than they deadlift, it's the twinks that out-deadlift their squat.

>300lbs and most of that is muscle
>waaah I physically can't be lean

LMAO

I went to college there, honestly can't believe anyone there was smart enough to publish anything.

It's also the first step to starting a family.

Yup.
Big man.
Actually bear mode.
Natural
When i wasn't sleeping or eating I was training exercising reading or doing some other form of physical or mental activity.
Did not have the endurance for much of anything else in life.

I have long legs and a back that couldn't handle it.
I ended up with a lifelong back injury that could absolutely cripple me with pain and put me on my back for weeks if it pops up again.

I'm not willing to risk it because the ego of a couple of fucking losers online and strength training/powerlifting retards entire sense of self depends on it.

I had strong powerful legs and I completely gave up on squatting completely.

Why did you link to my post.
Half of the stuff you said is stupid barely thought through bullshit that is defense of the modern strength/bodybuilding paradigm with not a single bit of fucking thought put into anything else.

Don't ever drag me into your stupid bullshit again.

I'm the guy that got into an autistic screeching match with him and I could tell. I had no idea why he linked that that either.

Do yourself a favor and don't keep reading lol.

You're not mostly muscle you fat fuck. You're literally at the very minimum 60lbs of pure lard on top of your lean mass which contains a vast amount of water that will get lost long before you're lean. Roiders are lean at 250 but when they get soft and "bearmode" they go upwards of 400 if you look at top strength competitors. You can't just say "oh I'm 20% bf at 300, therefore I'm 10% bf at 270", that's dumb as fuck, fat and muscle all store water, the body stores extra water to hold extra calories, all of that will disappear. If you cut slow (2-3lbs a week, no more), trained with high as fuck volume and stuck to it you'd get lean and keep most of your muscle.

not even front squats?

>Get good grades.
>Learning to program won't make you a sperg if you actively don't hang out with spergs.
>If you think your friends are losers, don't listen when they validate your loser behavior
>forget about feminism, just be upfront and honest about what you want. You'll end up actually treating women well that way instead of analyzing every failure through a lens of opposite extremes
>sex is just another drug
>go to the gym everyday. Don't try to get big, just maintain 15% bf as an exercise in discipline
>skip class and read all the IRS publications, you'll learn a lot more that way.
>practice discipline, it will give you everything you actually want
>leave Veeky Forums and reddit forever.

>lifelong back injury
Out of curiosity; Lumbar disk slippage?

>muh discipline
>stay average bf%, train every day but never ever ever try hard
>lol who needs sex anyway
This is the kind of cringe I'd expect to see from 17 year olds on Veeky Forums.

>Don't STOP working out after achievimg a good phusique and 9/10 gf

user, bodybuilders are on drugs.
A natural simply can not balloon up to 350 and 400 fucking pounds and be sub 20% bodyfat. That doesn't happen.

I was a natural. I had 19 inch arms 52 inch chest and 27 inch thighs and 18 inch calves and had an 18.5inch thick neck.
I was 280 at my lightest during that time and I was built as shit.

There is no reason to drop into single digit bodyfat other then vanity. Because I'd burn off a chunk of muscle in the process and tank my hormones as well.
The lowest I could probably go without negatively affecting muscle mass and normal strength levels was about 255-260.

Nope. Wrenched my back while cleaning 140lbs so I could do OHP.
Picking up my little niece finished the job.

Yeah. Could not fucking bend over for months. Was in absolute fucking agony. Even now my toes are numb and I get sciatica and numbness in my foot when I re-injure my back.

Are you 7 feet or something?

Oh god Aids?

>>leave Veeky Forums and reddit forever.
>he said, on Veeky Forums

6'3"

kill yourself

things simply get worse

I'm balding and 24/7 horny despite getting laid without roids

what will roids do to me?

>The lowest I could probably go without negatively affecting muscle mass and normal strength levels was about 255-260.

So roughly 10-12%?

Why are you 350-400 lbs? this is absurd you are not a giant

I'm really not sure.

The fuck are you talking about?

That's what I'm trying to say you stupid fuck. You were stronger because you were fat. You don't have the mass of a roider, you can maintain the majority of your muscle mass and be lean, but you're deluded about how much muscle mass you have. You weren't 280lbs built, you were 280lbs with a gut. Your strength levels should always drop during a cut if you're below obese bf%, they go back up as soon as your energy systems replenish. Some of the strength you have from being a round circus fat man will disappear because that's just how bodyweight works, but that doesn't mean you lost proficiency in the lifts and that doesn't mean you lost quality mass.

>10-12%
>260lbs

Try 16-18% minimum.

Not that i fell for gomad but i shoud have dropped milk asap

Start working out earlier, faggot.

I had a 4pack and pec striations user.
I wasn't as fat as you wish I was.
I know it hurts your world view...but I was not just a morbidly obese man who just so happened to lift weight occasionally.

My number ONE advice....
Track your workouts.
Put them in a spreadsheet. Plan your workouts in advance if you can manage it. In the spreadsheets, as you lift, enter comments on how you felt about the lift and any advice you'd have for future-you on how to do better next time as far as technique.

Suddenly the whole thing is a game, and your'e competing against yourself. You look back after a few weeks and see all those workouts you've done and it feels GOOD. This powers you to continue that progress.

My second advice would be...
Don't sit around and just WAIT for the next set. Go work another muscles group while you wait and come back. Be more effective with the time you spend in the gym.

Third advice....
Don't spend too much time in the gym. 45-50min max/4 times a week. More if you feel like it.

Final advice....
Smoke weed before you lift. Not too much, but just enough to get that buzz. When you start working out your muscles while high.. you can really feel them... and at some point it'll actually feel ALMOST as good as having sex. That'll keep you coming back for more of those sweet dopamine hits. The weed/lifting combination is one of the most exciting things I've discovered in the last year (I'm 27). Wish I would've discovered before. Would've made consistency a lot easier. Really helped me learn to LOVE being in the gym. With or without the weed.

Track your periods and plan your workouts accordingly so you don't mess things up when your tendons and joints do that thing where they go all soft once a month.