Why don't you spar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oum5T_Cg8qU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't want brain damage

Because I'd rather shower.

But you drink alcohol and do things that cause brain damage

not really lul
plus afew glasses glass of wine or a double of scotch =/= getting punched in the fucking head over and over

because I've been made of glass since childhood and even the daintiest friendly kindergarten sparring match would probably leave me with a broken anything

I just shadow box and work a heavy bag sometimes. I'm never going to be a pro fighter so why go get punched all the time?

good question

meanwhile some poor mexican kid is going pro

Because the last time I did the kid got buttfrustrated that I was getting shots on him and I kept blocking his so he started going ham and I accidentally broke his orbital.

>things that happened

I do though. What sort of shit question?

Meanwhile all the other poor Mexican kids aren't

>That filename

I don't like getting hit
Just because I'm durable doesn't mean I like getting beat up

I do.
BJJ and Muay Thai

>BJJ and Muay Thai
cringe every time

ok

best answer
shut up

I don't box anymore. I've been meaning to get back into it but in the same way I've been meaning to try all these new things for the last 5 years that never end up happening.

I'm a pussy

>let me try and grapple him with my amateur bjj to get him on the floor
>get knocked out by a check hook after you take one step

>let me try my kicks
>close the distance and counter you with an upper cut to the solar plexus, dropping you instantly

that's a cool hobby you got there, but i advise never getting into a fight.

cool cynicism but I suggest you never get in a battle of wit

Q for boxers. Is it acceptable to join a legit boxing gym w/ no previous experience? Or should I start out at one of those commercial "boxing workout class" gyms first.

I do not
associate
with
"nniguurss"

what do you mean by legit? as in "they train professional figthers"? if so, what are your goals? just to be fit or you want to compete, at an amateur or pro level, whichever it is the answer is yes , your current level of fitness doesn't matter, as they train people from all backgrounds, that being said , its always a good idea to have some level of fitness before joining a gym
here is a good video to give you an idea of whats a good level before going to a gym
youtube.com/watch?v=Oum5T_Cg8qU

The two best martial arts you can train in

if you're getting into that many street fights for it to be an issue then you're likely a complete tool

>>let me try my kicks
>>close the distance and counter you with an upper cut to the solar plexus, dropping you instant
I agree about the grapples being shit in a street fight, but if you're doing striking you should honestly be trained in both boxing and muay thai/kickboxing. Learning how to use kicks doesn't make you suddenly unable to punch, and the easiest way to surprise a regular boxer is with a quick side kick or push kick to the core. Most people have trouble taking a full force kick to the stomach, especially if they're unprepared for it.

Kagari!

God damn it. Checked.

I do. boxing and jujitsu here.

Thank you for the video.
1) By legit, I meant to separate gyms that focus on boxing as a cardio workout and less on fighting technique vs. gyms that train fighters. That could be a naive statement.
2) Goal would be to learn how to fight, not necessarily competitively.

Checked
Weak post just like your board.

checked

Legendary

whats kagari

Is it possible to learn self defense without sparring too much? I'm interested in Muay Thai but I'm a pussy who's afraid of any kind of brain damage since I work in stem related field

how do even you waste a get like that?

>Is it possible to learn how to play an instrument without practicing much? I'm interested in playing the guitar but I'm a pussy who's afraid of any kind of joint damage.

kek, makes sense

I was thinking about doing bag work, learning techniques, etc. But yeah, I guess that shit is really not enough

ignore this cunt

stop wasting.

Whatever the fuck that means

bravo toothpaste

>post two fighters who could barely form sentences later in life
>Why don't u wanna spar lol
Everyone should know basic boxing tho

checked

Alright now, in all seriousness, there really isn't. I'm not gonna pretend to be some all-knowing fighter or something, I just did Karate-Do for a very long time, from when I was 5 or 6 y/o until I was like 15. Sparring is a huge part of any martial art, but it's not as dangerous as you might think. If I remember correctly, I'd go every day of the week, monday through friday. Every day was spent practicing posture, punches, kicks, doing stretching excercises, and learning Kata's which were like dance coregraphys incorporating certain moves into a rather impressive display of punches and kicks and stuff. A lot of it was repetition. We'd practice on a wakibara, which is like a thick piece of wood that you punch repeatedly to make your knuckles harder.

Anyways. Every friday our shihan-dai (kek) would make us run a few laps around the dojo and then we'd all sit down. Friday's were for sparring only. We'd sit down on one side of the dojo and the shihan-dai would call us in pairs and make us spar with each other using a points system due to the nature of Karate-Do.

Thing is, it wasn't dangerous. The bigger, older guys really went at it and it was scary, but they had lots of experience, and none of them were ever badly injured. I remember getting the wind kicked out of me a couple of times, but that's as far as it went, and the guy who did it would always get some sort of punishment for not knowing how to hold back (punch the wakibara 200 times, or do 500 squats looking at the wall, or go sit on top of your legs until you can't feel them anymore, someshit like that).

It's necessary because you can practice all you want but you will never know how to actually use them until you practice on a live human being. It's never the same punching the air than punching a dude. But you shouldn't be scared, user. If you're honestly interested, martial arts are more about the discipline, camaraderie and self-control than it is about hurting people.

i do.
it's fun, but a good sparring session is very taxing, so i keep it minimal, as not to hinder my weightlifting/powerlifting training.

this

sparring is practice but it should be done right with appropriate equipment, head guard, mouth guard, groin guard

>post is too long

Goddamn.

My advice for you is: If you want to learn self-defence but are too scared to get injured, don't go for something like Muay-Thai. That shit is elementarily boxing and you have to be ready to get your nose broken a couple of times. Instead, try for a more discipline-centered martial art. Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu, Kenpo, Jiu-Jitsu, Tae-Kwon-Do are all good options. If you're still up for more contact-heavy stuff, try Muay-Thai or Kick-Boxing, American Boxing is also really cool, but be prepared to get your shit rekt.

Krav maga is the only thing that makes me cringe

PUTO

>sparring for points
>guys who actually hit are punished

That is the most pussy ass fucking weak shit I've ever heard. Shit like you clowns is why people think karate is for 8 year olds.

perro caca

I haven't done it in eight years but that's pretty offensive user. You're insulting seven years of my life. Have you ever done martial arts?

I might be insulting your seven years, but you're insulting hundreds of years of men beating the shit out of eachother.

Yeah I've done some of the chinese shit. It was just ok, I prefer boxing.

If people wanted to beat the shit out of each other, they could do it on their own time. If people wanted to display themselves beating the shit out of each other, they could sign up for combat tournaments and the like. Sparring was just for practice, and punching your kohai in the gut really hard and making him cry when he's two years younger than you and not as experienced is grounds for harsh punishment in a place where discipline and self-control is tantamount. Martial arts are never about the violence, and if you did "some of the chinese shit" you would know this. Please don't insult something you don't comprehend, thanks.

When we spar in boxing, it's about fighting.

If you're weak, you get your ass beat. If you don't want that to happen, you get stronger or you quit. That's a proper martial attitude.

If your "kohai" didn't want to get punched in the fucking gut, maybe he should have blocked it, or dodged it, or not gotten into the ring with someone that much stronger than him.

karate is so fucking gay lol
bunch of faggot wannabes.

Personally i dont hit the head hard when sparring but a punch to the gut can only make you stronger.

Don't want to get punched in the head

I do judo instead, I think it gives me brain damage at a slower rate

>Kagari
what did he mean by this?

I just got braces recently and was afraid their gonna get fucked up, gonna go to sparring this friday though with this shitty mouth guard my ortho gave me, any tips for a first timer,?

I roll, so same thing just without getting hit in the head

kek

Honestly everytime the neighborhood badass steps into spar for the first time this tends to happen. First time fighting a fighter with any real training is usually a very humbling experience.

FUCKING DUTCH KAGARI POSTER GET THE FUCK OUT OF Veeky Forums

Keep your hands up

I don’t understand how this comment is constructive, or encourages the reader to think more deeply about anything. It appears to me that this comment’s only purpose is to display the cleverness of the author. Unfortunately, despite the collective efforts of the commentariate, we do get infiltration from those who are apparently determined to give the impression that they are incapable of parsing an entire piece of writing and reading it as a whole.
As has been previously noted (regular readers will be aware) we (that’s the “Royal we” — fellow commenters, occasional contributors such as myself and the moderator team) are engaged in an ongoing attempt to keep the quality of comments at its former impeccably high standard. Sadly, this is more of an effort than it should be.
And as an athlete/philosopher, it is rather tiresome having to try to explain to the occasional numpty who happens across a post basic reading comprehension skills, how to follow an argument when it is constructed long-form and the ability to master data interpretation.
And I’ve just caught up on all the subsequent comments on this page. All the other commenters have managed to make coherent and intelligible contributions that furthered my understanding or gave me something to think about, because they took the trouble to type more than a single sentence. I don’t agree with everything that’s been said in other comments. Quite the opposite in a couple of cases. But at least I understand what was expressed and the intention behind it.

>I agree about the grapples being shit in a street fight

You do know takedowns are essential to any good grappling training, right?

Holy fuck.

I train BJJ, boxing, muay thai and mix them together doing mma sparring and mma specific training.

If you think doing some boxing and sparring sometimes, or just doing bjj will prepare you for a real fight youre in for a rude awakening.

I notice most guys are delusional about their actual fighting abilities, especially if they are tall and jacked. I am a skelly because I don't lift but I train for about 3 - 4 hours a day.

When a huge jacked guy comes in and wants to spar I will completely dominate them (but I only actually hit them as hard as they hit me)

Its pretty nice to see your hard work pays off and that skill really does trump size and strength but then I see those jacked guys leave with their hot gf's and never come back and they probably fuck hot girls all the time because of their muscles and look tough so nobody would fight them anyways meanwhile I spend my days humping other sweaty men and getting punched in the head

Anyways my point is, bjj and muay thai isn't enough. Boxing is very important. A lot of the guys I spar with who only train muay thai have no hands because hurr durr boxing is just muay thai without kicks or knees

this

you practice a meme fighting style

this
no I don't

>camaraderie

So you are better at something you do everyday for hours, then someone who does the same thing literally never?

Who would have thunk?

because it is fun as fuck and puts the rest of your life in perspective