runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538475/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3931849/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How far have you run this week?
13 miles this week, cooling off tomorrow and resting for long run Friday.
>What are you working on?
Recovery. Feel like shit. Need more diet.
>How was your last run?
Nice in places. But I am not well rested so mostly sucks.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Nope. Approaching 50% mileage on my shoes. That happened real quick. Unlike my last run. *ba-dum-tsh*

bump that shit, yo.

running made my quads smaller by like 80%
now i can wear skinny jeans

Pretty shit, it's been raining non stop and I sliced my foot open earlier this week, but I've still managed to get 5 or so miles in.
>what are you working on?
Getting my mile and a half below 12 minutes/distance
>how was your last run?
Wet and cold
>any new gear you've been enjoying?
Step trackers are always fun

Who else hears the "Running a lot will lead to heart disease and will kill you" meme a lot? Makes me pretty upset desu.

>blister on little toe

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Doing long distance, over time, certainly will. Marathon runners are more likely to die of heart disease, compared to their HIIT or medium distance compatriots

marathon runners are gross twinks

1-2 miles is the true chad zone

I do a 5k twice a week

That's barely getting warmed up

>Gross
>Twink
you can only pick one my dude

t. 6+ min mile

No

Care to direct me to a study that shows this?

Otherwise I am calling BS

Eh, it wasn't as conclusive as I thought
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538475/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3931849/

>Ran half marathon on Sunday
>not even close to PR
>Quads still hurt

Am I injured? Feels like doms, but the leg has been bothering me for around a month now

my brother, a doctor, keeps telling my any running over 40 minutes is detrimental

Just came into this thread to say that the guy in this pic is from my high school. Don't know him but I recognize the logo anywhere

you'll be glad to hear that is not a lot

>right knee finally gave in after running almost 10k a day for 2 months

jokes on my knee desu, I'm going on vacation in 6 days.

Your brother is a misinformed idiot

kek I did that for 2 weeks, and my knee finally blew out at the end of the last 10k

I also ate literally nothing and went from 209lbs to 198lbs, felt like I had the flu the whole time

was worth it senpai

I'm sorry but the true Chad zone is between 200m and 400m ya panzy

I went to do an easy 5K earlier today but it was fucking hot and I didn't finish (only made it about 1.6km in). Gonna run again tonight once it's cooled down and actually do the 5K

Interesting, I think at the very least you can conclude that you shouldn't be doing an ultramarathon every day.

Thank you for the info user

>inner thigh muscle starts aching as soon as I start running
>been like that for the last two days

FUCK I know I should rest for a day or two and let it recover but I WANT TO RUN... What do? Anyone know of good cardio activities I can do that won't stress out my inner thigh/glutes?

Sounds like groin cancer too bad

are sprinters allowed here

Yes because even distance runners have to incorporate sprints in their workouts to improve speed and kick

This. Goodbye user.

Too bad sprinters don't incorporate much distance into theirs, as it would help facilitate recovery better. Hence why sprinters are the actual laughing stock of runners.

How Very dare you! Inviting "those" types to our thread! And on a rest day!

Shhhhhhhh... perhaps we will convert this user to the glory of distance... :^)

I'm about to go run a 5K, pray that I don't get stabbed by a black person please /run/

fingers Xd

> running five minutes straight was a pipe dream two months ago
> did a 3k with relatively little effort today with a half decent time (23 minutes)

We're gonna make it anons.

damn son I was just planning to do a 300+ mile week drats

What are GOAT running shoes?

Have a goal of breaking 5 in the mile however I'm also interested in increasing my sprinting speed. Will distance training affect my sprinting training?
So say i run 6 days a week and sprint 3 days a week. Will i be able to see progress in sprints?

I get pain on the outer part of my knee / fibula when walking during this part of the motion

Is it ITBS? I can squat, jump, and all sorts of other stuff without pain.

anyone else get horny when they run?

i went in to this big set of stairs in town today to run up and a there were some girls there also running them. im mostly attracted to girls who don't really play sports and are girly girls, but when i see girls working out in tights, etc i get erect.

almost had to jerk off in the ocean to calm down

~30km, but i have 2 more runs until the weeks over. One of the ma half marathon race
Doing some speed work. Trying to beat my PR this sunday
>How was your last run?
Started out nice. but got caught out in the rain
No, I'm poor.

Yes it is.
Take a rest for a few weeks. Decrease your distance take it slow.

ffs, just tried riding my bike and it hurts there too.

Literally didn't get any warning at all, no pain or discomfort until yesterday when it just finally hit me, fucking bullshit.

It would be nice. I have converted dome in the past once I broke past their defense mechanisms and showed tgem that we distance runners sprint also as it helps a ton on just about everything. If you sit down and talk to them, it's just like everyone else: they are afraid of distance.

does doing intervals on a rowing machine have any carryover to running? I imagine it does for endurance, but I was hoping it might have some speed carryover too

hmmm... I'm looking at some charts etc and the ITBS supposedly located pain is quite higher than where I have pain. They also say to bend your knee 45 degrees and feel for any discomfort or pain but I feel nothing.

>inb4 it's a stress fracture in my fibula or something much worse

Get a 3-4 inch thick pvc pipe and roll the piss out of your calves and the muscles along your shins.

>distance running
>wanting an unaesthetic body

If you want to be sexy, you need to be a sprinter.

>implying sprinter t-rex mode is more aesthetic than a lean long-distance physique

I've been running 12km a day for the last month, and my angles and knees have started to ache all the time. Should I stop or run through the pain?

What are you doing for tissue recovery on a day to day basis?

I've been pretty consistent running in the heat this summer. Can't wait to see how this translates to running in the cool air.

Sup Veeky Forums I recently started running again, it's been a while.
inb4 good bye gains. I have some questions for experienced runners.
1.I'm getting blisters on my feet,is it my new shoes or because I am extremely flat footed.
2. I am sweating all day long I sit in an office at 72 degrees but I sweat ALL FUCKING DAY this was never an issue when I was just lifting. WHY?
3. Is it true I should be running on the balls of me feet if so how to get into this habit after about .25 miles My calves leave my legs and go into orbit.
4. is running in the morning and at night ok or should I dial it back?

ice packs and a lot of lying down

Ran a fast mile with a couple friends at uni last night and got utterly smoked. Don't tell me you're all that fast, how can someone new even compete? It was inspiring but it hurt a bit to watch.

just run more

That isnt enough. Start doing some deep tissue massages for your calves and quads for starters. Check out kelly starretts "ready to run" book or some of his youtube videos on calves/quads.

The only time running through the pain is acceptable is during a race, anybody that tells you that its ok to do that on a day to day basis is a fucking retard. Thats like tellong somebody to "lift through the pain". Ridiculous. Take care of the pain first, make sure your running form is good and that you are making good decisions for recovery.

>1.I'm getting blisters on my feet,is it my new shoes or because I am extremely flat footed.
It's not your feet, I'm also very flat footed, its probably your shoes. Also, get insoles for flat footed people.
>2. I am sweating all day long I sit in an office at 72 degrees but I sweat ALL FUCKING DAY this was never an issue when I was just lifting. WHY?
No clue, it was the exact opposite, I stopped sweating everywhere I went.
>3. Is it true I should be running on the balls of me feet if so how to get into this habit after about .25 miles My calves leave my legs and go into orbit.
For flat footed people its better to just focus on your pacing (shorter stride and quicker steps) that should help you land on your feet lighter.
>4. is running in the morning and at night ok or should I dial it back?
Run a good work out once a day in my experience, too much will just hurt you and make you unable to run.

Thanks man, rarely do I not just get trolled. I bought the shoes yesterday, I'm gonna give them a little bit to break in. Any Idea what a decent insert should cost me? There is a running store near me I don't wanna over spend if I can get an equal product at a lesser cost.

Running stores in my experience are a meme/ripoff. The best inserts I've ever got were the 40 dollar pair of doctor scholls ones from Wal-Mart and that's by far the most expensive pair I've ever bought. Googling "best insoles for flat footed runners" or some shit usually pulls good results.

Strengthen your feet. Fuck wasting money on inserts, there is no excuse for being flat footed and to continue on like that is only going to lead you to further joint problems down the road. Strengthen your feet, there are plenty of good vids on youtube how to do it.

I'll look into that, but desu sounds like bro science

Was just attacked by an owl on my run, this happen to anyone else?

where the fuck do you live? Hogwartz?

why are running programs structured the way they are? what's wrong with just upping your distance every run and resting a day or two between each run?

depends on goals

>focusing on aesthetics

Enjoy your injuries. You'll find out the more distance you do.

15km
Healing injury (unrelated to knee problem)
>How was your last run?
12km of back country trails, mostly rock with a side of mud and a bit of road to get there
New jacket from Sugoi is awesome.

But I have a weird problem. My knee hurts (inside, back) when I walk, especially if I walk fast, but I can run for ages with very little discomfort.

What the fuck over?

So I'm the guy with no running experience running a half marathon in one month. 4th day of running
to recap:
day 1: 3x (3km walking + 3km running)
day 2 1x 3km walking + 5km running
day 3 rest
day 4 (today) 12km running
felt pretty good, didn't stop once, ran 2.5km on road to and back (total 5km)a woodchip trail, ran 7km on it. legs are pretty sore but knees and ankles feel fine.
feeling pretty proud of having done 12k on my third day of running ever, hope I can make it to 20k next week (1x15k, 1x18k, 1x20k)

could you elaborate?

three 15k+ runs in your second week of running ever?
Please come back in 3 weeks and tell me how your injuries are going.

not the same user but the stress of running long distances eventually catches up to you unless you gradually get your body used to it. Small things become compounded and magnified with increases in time and intensity, which is why you need to give your body time to adjust.

Your aerobic system develops a lot faster than your neuromuscular system. It's why many will feel great and go more miles than their muscles are used to only to end up making another "muh shin splints" posts in the /run/ thread.

And this is why you'll suddenly get hit with connective tissue damage later. Be gentle.

How does sprinting uphill compare to squats for muscle growth? Being able to run fast seems a lot more useful than squatting heavy.

Sprinting up hill releases more hormones then squatting does. Far more.

I know it's hard on the muscles and connective tissue, it's why I run on a more absorbing surface (woodchips) and get adequate recovery (tons of sleep, relaxation and protein)
also eating a lot of glycine for connective tissue recovery

I really think most people should walk for at least 2 hours a day and drop some weight before getting into a serious running program like c25k.

Running is natural but you still need to build up to it and build a strong base.

>c25k
I ran 5k on my second run ever, I just ran 12k on my third run. I'm not injured and legs are a bit sore but manageable. what would be the advantage in training for months to reach 5k when I can reach it instantly with a little willpower?

>That humble brag that has nothing to do with what I said
I said most people
Most people don't jog and the people who decide to start are usually very out of shape so they won't have the capacity to do it without harming themselves.

I'm not bragging, I just want to know what your point is.

sure, what you're saying seems true enough, but how does it apply to my particular case? if it doesn't, why did you quote me?

agreed niggo

I've just finished a 10mile run as part of Weight loss. Should I eat anything? Or just go to bed after regaining fluids?

only if the food you're eating is actually healthy for you. brotein is good for the legs

What is a healthy weight to resume running. I've blown up to 280 after neglecting all fitness activity this year

But if I'm wanting to lose weight?

I just don't know if eating something protein like chicken or tuna will mean that my body will use that instead of trying to burn fat

your body will typically prioritize the metabolization of carbohydrate, protein, and fat in that order. If you're fat, then keeping a calorie deficit is more important than what you eat. Ditto for when you eat. As long as your caloric intake is less than your expenditure, you'll deplete your excess adipose tissue.

Cool. I settled on a bannana.

>Running
>Not walking

Walking works more muscles Than running and helps with your posture.

>not walking on all fours for maximum muscle group activation

Your body will adjust to any running surface. Runners do not need nowhere as much protein as lifters for muscle repair. The repair does not happen as fast as your aerobic system. This is one of the major reasons why running has an extremely high injury rate.

You are not inventing anything new here. If your methods worked, we'd all be doing it.

I have got exactly the same problem. And just as you, got it without any previous warning, but in the beginning of last week. Took at least 7 days of rest, pain went away after first 2 iirc, but just wanted for it to heal completely. Went for a run today and the pain is back. And I only did a bit more than 3km. I am fucking lost ...
I will try cycling in 2 days and see how that goes.

Different guy but I think the point these other guys have been making is pretty clear: you're not injured now but if you keep pushing yourself this fast and hard you *will* become injured - because even though your heart, lungs and muscles are able to carry you safely through a 15k run this early, your connective tissue is being damaged each run and takes far longer to heal than muscular tissue. The slow progression is to allow the connective tissue to heal properly between runs and strengthen to be capable of longer distances without injury.

does anyone get kind of winded the day after intervals? asking for a friend of course

I used to at first, but like everything else, I adjusted in time.

>asking for a friend of course
This is not the Bluelight forums. We are very welcoming to beginners here.

This shit is why I'm a cyclist main. Fuck being unable to get a proper aerobic workout because of >muh weak connective tissue

Running is the greatest physical exercise.
You are free.
You are faster.

Toms