"american culture"

is there such a thing as "american culture"?
it seems more like a bunch of unrelated subcultures,
the likes of which you would find anywhere.
for example: new orleans. how is that american culture and not just poor people making the most of it like they would anywhere?
what separates "black culture" from shit like gopniks and chavs?
seems to me like we forgot where we came from and are clinging to anything we see on tee vee.

Attached: 66.jpg (871x650, 95K)

>guns
>car culture
>Southern hospitality/openness in general
>food (Southern barbecue, Cajun)
>shoes in house
>wiping with dry toilet paper and refusing of any more hygenic method

There isn't a single unified American culture. It's all regional cultures.

>being obese and proud of it
>rabid anti-intellectualism
>unhealthy fast food and snacks
>obsession with race and muh heritage
>muh guns, much bootstraps, muh small bizness
>ugly houses and buildings (especially those Protestant churches)

>inferiority complex when it comes to Europe (look at how British accents are deemed more sophisticated)

being 1/64th Irish

Attached: 57cf89b7bccf3154488af9660ae80c3b.png (275x320, 13K)

It has many more regional cultures and is less unified than the cultures of European nation-states, but there are some common elements:

>focus on individual success and entrepreneurship
>distaste for tradition--I'd argue that American conservatives are hardly conservative at all
>civic nationalism--the melting pot, proposition nation, etc., though some groups have integrated better than others
>technophilia

Lack of personal hygiene is definitely a big American thing.

Even Pajeets use something called a 'lota' (like a proto-bidet) to wash up after taking a dump.

how likely is american balkanization, or at least a restructuring of our states to represent regional cultures?

Pajeets smell bad though

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY

The civic nationalism thing only extends to whites and blacks in America desu.

Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Muslims, Indians, Asians, etc. are still seen as an 'Other'

guns are pretty cool

go to any american city, there is 0 integration. you don't even have to speak english to live here it's infuriating.

That's really because of the massive amounts of spices (especially coriander) and curries they ingest daily.

Hardly. My parents both came here as young children, and while their parents never fully learned English, they were fluent and today are basically indistinguishable from ordinary white Americans.

Blame the retard who started that melting pot garbage

Trump really capitalized on this in 2016 with all the talk of the Wall and being tough on China and the Muslims

What the fuck

i'm not getting mad at you, i'm agreeing angrily

I would argue that America is the best country in the world at exporting its pop culture. Is there a person alive today who exists in semi-modern civilization that doesn't know what Coca-Cola is?

The U.S. is not a renaissance country and they obliterated the native lifestyle so there is a huge void of culture and tradition. This is why Americans are so obsessed with their ancestors, they are idolizing cultures that they are totally disconnect from. In time, this will certainly change, but till then a general malaise of over-compensation substitutes for it. Individualism is counter-culture, not culture, and as such the U.S. is content to portray itself as a plucky individualist underdog despite global dominance.

Fucking this.

America is for the whites.
Ethnic cleansing when?

You population will grow more when it has the physical space to grow and doesn't have famines

>Civil war part two when.

I'm sorry but being 1/1000 Irish doesn't make you Irish

>This is why Americans are so obsessed with their ancestors

Not Teddy Roosevelt. He believed you should be loyal to America alone, and that and loyalty or care for one's ancestral homeland made a person in his eyes, "a moral traitor". It's why he said hypenated Americans were little better than Fifth Columnists.

any* loyalty

It's actually do with interbreeding more than population growth. The U.S. has has massive immigration from almost every country in the world and all those people fuck each other. Each of those millions of U.S. "Irish" will be just as Dutch, German, Mexican, Cherokee, Chinese or African as they are Irish. Sometimes all at once.

He's rolling in his grave then

It was actually a lot worse in his time than now. Back then a giant chunk of the US population was German and still read everything in German, which is concerning when you're considering whether or not to go to war with Germany.

That's another example of overcompensation. Roosevelt tried to forge national identity when in fact it develops naturally, over hundreds of years.

I imagine the states will be much more interesting places in about two hundred years, provided we last that long.

It's more that he didn't want people's feelings about their German heritage stopping us from fighting in WW1

That's not as bad as what's happening in Canada and Australia where mandarin has pretty much become an unofficial language. In Vancouver signs are in mandarin now.

The difference is Canada isn't preparing to go to war with China soon and doesn't have to worry about saboteurs

It's really bad in some places. For example in Richmond they actually had to ban Chinese only signs

Attached: chinese-signs-in-richmond.jpg (620x349, 126K)

they should have fully learned it. also,
are you actually using anecdotal evidence right now?
there are americans who don't speak english.
every fucking city has a chinatown or some shit like that.
this, there are people who fly the flags of other countries in their homes and businesses.
1 language, 1 flag. you're american.
not a mexican american, a hispanic american.
not a german american, a saxon american.
not an irish american, a celtic american.
not a russian american, a slavic american.

That's some terrible governing at work

Again, the circumstances are different and context is important. Does Canada or Australia have to worry that its Chinese citizens will start blowing up bridges or assassinating politicians due to orders from Beijing? No, but the US genuinely thought that might happen if they didn't get the American public fully on their side before fighting with Germany.

2nd person you replied to, the problem is a lot of immigrants today aren't here to stay. Many just want to make money and go back home. Generally immigrants who have come here and never want to see their homeland again are the most openly patriotic towards the American way.

we also need to stop this. we can't allow these parasites to exist. you either stay or you don't come at all.
sometimes i think we should give the ultimatum that we will no longer accept immegration,
and instead if the citizens of a nation or region make it clear that they all want to be americans, we will take over their country.

Teddy got his larping rocks off in other ways.

At least when he said he wanted to go to war, he actually joined the army himself

They wouldn't be parasites if we just made them pay taxes.

the revolving door still needs to go, they're taking resources out of america to raise a family somewhere else.

That's never the way it was and you should know better. First gens almost never fully assimilate; they carry their old home in their hearts and souls. The second generation however will know that place only in stories. America will be their home.

Where else can you find Southern hospitality, people who wear t-shirts and jeans every day, the birthplace of jazz music, blues, rock n'roll, cowboys, lemonade stands, widespread gun ownership, highway/car culture, suburbia, civic nationalism, and country music?

i never said it was ever that way, i'm saying that's how it needs to be.
you can like your old culture as much as you want but you're an american now and your loyalties lie with the US.
it takes 3 years tops to learn a new language, there's no excuse.
i'm sure they're good people but what does that matter if they can hardly hold a conversation?

none of those are related to each other or universally valued by americans.
some of those aren't even culture.

Culture doesn't need to be universally valued to be culture.

I think gangster rap and hip-hop are cancerous and degenerate. It doesn't make them part of American culture.

*doesn't make them not part of American culture

read the OP, i am asking about universal cultures and not subcultures.

Very few modern Americans, especially younger, white Americans, care about their heritage at all. They consider themselves white and American, and they are ashamed of both.

Some real big-brain analysis here boys. I bet that took a lot of intellectual-muscle to spit something like that out.

Must of felt real good typing out 'Other' with the ridiculous quotation marks and capitalization.

Jesus you're both fucking brainlets.

fbi please go

I think if you view any culture like that you're just going to find it's a collection of subcultures, with cultural aspects that are the most universal being the least important

Plus, America is really fucking big and really fucking varied. Geographically, you can't compare America to any one European country. You'd have to compare it to the continent as a whole. I reckon American Culture would be more fairly compared to European Culture- not a country-to-country comparison but a region-to-region comparison. There's no real European Culture because 'Europe' isn't any one place, homogeneous society, or even geographical region. The same can be said about America.

Why would they want to conversate with you anyway?

one mad lad

>The second generation however will know that place only in stories. America will be their home.

The second generation is actually when you start experiencing real problems with the immigrants. You should take a look at the empirical reality, instead of spouting feel-good nothings.

a lot of it is commercialized and corporate (fast food, american consumerism), and the the good parts, has been shamed out of us.

this

>British accents are deemed more sophisticated
no, they sound like they're pushing air through a garbage disposal.
this is just a forced meme by bongs. and reinforced by Americans who hate themselves and their country.

Attached: DWXuQLbX0AAJM1F.jpg (875x1200, 242K)

I was unironically asking you, as you seem to consider (it), i.e. the lack of ability to communicate with them, a problem,

so we're in agreement then, there is no unifying american culture.
a low german and an upper german are still both german and share tons of cultural similarities,
regardless of their regional twist on it. all america has is the regional twist.
someone from california and someone from texas will have nothing in common unless they're both hispanic.

it doesn't matter if they can or can't talk to me personally. they aren't in their home country anymore,
they're somewhere else. as such, they should play by the rules of their new region.
it's not a native's job to speak a foreigner's language.
i wouldn't even visit another country without having a really good graps of their language,
let alone live there.

literally fake news

BRO IM 1/172TH CHEROKEE, IM 1/8TH GERMAN I'M A GERMAN, DUDE IM IRISH

>bf takes DNA test
>always said he was part native american
>1/128th

>it's not a native's job to speak a foreigner's language.
America's got no official language. How does this affect you in any way?

>i wouldn't even visit another country without having a really good grasp of their language,
let alone live there.
Well, good for you and nice virtue signalling.

it effectively does, and it legally should.
i'm virtue signalling by not being a hypocrite? lol ok

You are virtue signalling by saying/doing something you are not legally required to do (and that is basically irrelevant) and acting like it demonstrates somekind of moral superiority.

>it effectively does, and it legally should.
Then find support to change the law, if not your nagging is baseless.

are you seriously against speaking english being mandatory?

>Believing i give a fuck about having to use one language (over others) to express my ideas ... as long as it isn't chinese tier bullshit
English graphemes/phonemes are french tier anyway. Why do you care?

because if an individual is going to live in another country they should assimilate and speak the native language.
why is this such a lofty expectation?

>because if an individual is going to live in another country they should assimilate and speak the native language.
You are using circular reasoning here, man. Also, i already told you:
>Then find support to change the law, if not your nagging is baseless.

so what, i'm not allowed to say, people should speak the language of the country they're living in unless it's in a letter to the president?
you're dodging my argument entirely by saying this.
and how is my reasoning circular? you go to another part of the world to live,
where things are done differently. the place that you come from will more likely than not have a culture that conflicts in some way.
if you want to be a productive member of society, you accept the system of the country you are trying to move to.
you don't go up to a japanese person and start speaking german. there's nothing complicated about it.

because learning a new language is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Plus, many immigrants coming here have many other priorities in mind, such as finding employment, finding a home, as long as they have a basic understanding of the language to function in society then why would the need to go through the long process of learning and fully comprehending a new language

it doesn't matter if it's easy, everyone who's already in the country will have no idea what you're saying.
if you want to integrate, you HAVE to learn the native language.
otherwise we get shit like little italy or the shit chinatown where people act like they're still in their home country.

You are saying that they should learn a new language because they should assimilate, so they should learn a new language be ...
Read any book on 'introduction to logic', please.

>so what, i'm not allowed to say, people should speak the language of the country they're living in unless it's in a letter to the president?
You are allowed to say whatever you want, dude. But if you are going to criticize others, your claims (and suggestions) should be backed up with evidence (or not, it is up to you; yay, freedom).

Coming to a country like the US is about coming for freedom of expression and the chance at a better life for you and your potential children. putting a gun to every immigrants head that walks in here is contrary to our core beliefs as a country. If people want to live in little enclaves that make them feel included and celebrate their past cultures meanwhile often creating many economic opportunities for their members then what is the problem with it? Just because it is an inconvenience for (You) doesnt mean that they should spent hours of their lives learning something they may not need

This is a barebones explanation of the overarching culture in the US, the real meat and potatoes of culture in the US is the regional cultures though. Take a road trip through the country and you'll swear it'll feel like you're in a different country every now and then

Attached: wetzel.jpg (299x389, 78K)

>learning english is like putting a gun to an immigrant's head
Wow

Every country has regional cultures. Catalan just fucking tried to secede from Spain. Regional differences in America are often less than in many parts of Europe.

i think youre lost friend >/pol/ is that way. just to get you started before you post i think selecting a nazi flag to accompany your post would be the best representation of your views user

you learn a language to assimilate, and you assimilate to be a functioning member of society. that's not circular.
are you actually suggesting that english isn't the language spoken by the majority of americans? are you really making that argument?
how the hell are you gonna express anything if nobody knows what you're saying? speak american or fuck off lol i don't owe immigrants anything.
in fact, they owe me something. they're imposing on us,
we spend resources to allow them in, and if they can't preform then they can go back. 1 flag, 1 language.
they can celebrate whatever they want whenever they want but at the end of the day it's america first.
may not need? if they want to function then yes, they will need.
it's not just an inconvienience for me, it's an inconvenience for every native.
if you can't deal with speaking the native language then you have to go back.
this is on top of the fact that english is the most common language spoken on the planet,
if you don't know it you're behind the times.
this

true, plus you need to remember that we only have had a little over 200 years as a country. Not only that, but our first 100 were sent just finding our way, leaving us with only about 100 more to develop a true culture

how are they imposing on you? and if you think they they absolutely need to learn the language dont you think that they would be in the process of learning that language already?

If you really want to spend all the money necessary to test and deport anyone who cant learn English then go right ahead, im not stopping you from voting according to your beliefs.

>in fact, the owe me something

Fuck off, they dont owe you shit you entitled stormfag

Discriminating against immigrants is actually a pretty solid part of American culture from the old Alien/Sedition acts to the Know Nothing Party to the 1920s quotas that enforced the racial status quo as far as ethnic make up and immigration are concerned and obviously is a major issue up until today. In general, Learning the native language of a country you live in because it will open up the economic opportunity that you likely moved to the country for. Not knowing English is more of an incovenience for the immigrant than the other way around but if the group is large enough and you end up in a multi-lingual country you're gonna end up with deep racial and ethnic divides (Like the late Austrian and Ottoman empires).

>you assimilate to be a functioning member of society
Ah, now we are talking. The degree of integration is the key to this debate, you don't need to fully integrate (depending on what you do of course) to be a 'fuctioning member' of society (i.e. you shouldn't be obligated to completely learn a new language beyond that which is useful for your daily life). Hell, not even all americans (who should technically be better integrated to society) become useful individuals (e.g. NEETS).

>are you actually suggesting that english isn't the language spoken by the majority of americans? are you really making that argument?
Don't straw-man me

Agreed with the point that discriminating against immigrants is almost as old as America itself, but i would argue that many countries had the same practices or views. That doesnt meant that they are consistent with our views and values as a nation. And i was agreeing in the post that it is more of an inconvenience for the immigrant rather than society as a whole. I only used the example of chinatowns because the other kept bringing it up.

Regardless, i would way that the US is pretty far from being largely multi-lingual at this point in history.

>reddit spacing
how long does it take to stop pressing enter twice?
just another example of an immigrant not assimilating. speak Veeky Forums or get out!
i explained how they were imposing. we spend tons of money to create and maintain a system that allows them to come in.
obviously a good chunk of them aren't in the process of learning the language since so many of them don't speak english and create mini countries in our cities.
there's nothing entitled about expecting an immigrant to assimilate, you're entitled for expecting an entire country to put up with your shit. you are here on our dollar, play by our rules or fuck off.
myself and a bunch of other americans wouldn't go to your country and set up little america in a major city where we only speak english and all of our stores have english signs.
america has more than enough NEETs, why should we accept more?
the only reason you wouldn't need to speak english is if you were living in a cultural bubble in a major city,
which should not exist to begin with, but does because immigrants refused to learn english.
you told me to provide data that proved most americans spoke english.
or did we switch topics halfway through that one?

And also
>Cowboys and the Wild West and their accents

>you told me to provide data that proved most americans spoke english.
>or did we switch topics halfway through that one?
I never told you such thing, It seems you are not understanding anything i am saying, goodnight.

a quick timeline of your responses to me for this topic
>America's got no official language. How does this affect you in any way?
>Then find support to change the law, if not your nagging is baseless.
>English graphemes/phonemes are french tier anyway. Why do you care?
>You are using circular reasoning here, man. Also, i already told you: >Then find support to change the law, if not your nagging is baseless.
>You are allowed to say whatever you want, dude. But if you are going to criticize others, your claims (and suggestions) should be backed up with evidence (or not, it is up to you; yay, freedom).
>Don't straw-man me
on the subject of whether or not most americans speak english,
you went from saying there was no "official" language,
to saying i should send a letter to a politician,
to saying i was using circular reasoning,
to saying i wasn't using evidence,
to saying i was strawmanning.
you've pretty good at dodging the obvious.

sending me a wall of text over and over then bitching about me pressing enter. There are plenty of examples in other countries of them putting up signs in english as well as their native language to accommodate you, particularly in their largest tourist districts. Also youre implying that one immigrant has the impact of inconveniencing and entire country, like this totally makes sense

i'm not talking about individuals, i'm talking about all immigrants.
why are you getting hung up on me personally vs you personally so much?
you are not the only immigrant, there are millions.
i've said it time and time again that every major american city has cultural bubbles where people don't speak english.
although tourists should learn the language of the country that they are visiting, tourists /= immigrants.
going somewhere for maybe a week is not equivalent to spending the rest of your life there.
to most people, learning the native language isn't worthwhile if they'll hardly be there.

calling me out personally then wondering when i personally defend myself. being this dense. Then you go on to say that tourists should learn the language of a country they are visiting, then continuing further to contradict yourself. Youre never going to be able to force someone to learn a language, its not easy. Exactly how is it such a burden on the majority population? How are you going to ensure that new immigrants have to ability and resources to learn english? How are you going to test proficiency in english? What even is considered proficiency? No matter where you set the bar on that one there will be americans who would fail that test, are you saying that they should be deported as well?