"People in the USSR were suprised to see shelves full of food when they came to America"

"People in the USSR were suprised to see shelves full of food when they came to America"

>loads of supermarket food goes to waste
>USSR economically is planned
>USSR focusing on important shit, needs to minimise waste

Why do people think there would be unecessary surpluses and waste in a PLANNED economy?

Attached: Screenshot_20180316-101947.jpg (1408x953, 973K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-
nintil.com/2016/05/11/the-soviet-union-food/
feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

billions of starved soviets vs myriads of obese americans, tough choice.

The quota system is hamfisted and inefficient. A car factory might say "I need 10000 tons of grade B steel" and a planned economy can set a quota for a steel mill to produce an extra 10000 tons of grade B steel, that is easy enough, however the specifications of the cars themselves and number to be produced are also set by quotas, by a bureaucrat sitting in an office somewhere, as opposed to those who demand cars. Also if there is a scarcity of steel they will likely redirect most of it to military applications and other politically favorable things rather than economic priorities.

The tendency for businesses to overproduce slightly is the result of finnicky consumers. If they wanted they could buy in bulk or place long term orders with a bakery so there is fresh bread for them every day, most people would just rather not do that. So businesses overproduce by a margin of error to preserve their reputation of always having products on the shelves.

Nice meme
RDP84B00274R000300150009-5.pdf

feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/

As someone born in 1980 in communist Poland I have to say that food in western countries like UK is of much worse quality than I remember from communist Poland.

Couldn't we could solve all those problems with modern computers and networks?

But long term quotad food services are taking off like all this blue apron crap I keep seeing.

>why is my TV dinner worse than the food mom used to make me as a kid?
That's because you buy supermarket junk. Go to an organic store and you can find the best products. Also, learn to fucking cook.

There is nothing more efficient than price signals created by supply and demand, which allocate production and labor to the areas that are most demanded. You need a market system for that.

Unless those computers can predict thoughts, knowing what people will want before those people know they want it, no.

>That's because you buy supermarket junk. Go to an organic store and you can find the best products. Also, learn to fucking cook.

Organic food sold in UK is equivalent to what people in Poland can buy on street supermarket.

Attached: GC6P999.png (759x1007, 881K)

Attached: CH2YO73.png (912x1207, 1.31M)

Spoken like a true ignorant.

We need a variant of this meme for lefty/pol/

Attached: 1492706866562.jpg (501x501, 40K)

So was Western food in the 1980s.
More plentiful and of better quality than in the communist world.

You are considering GMOs as a consequence of capitalism rather than as a consequence of overpopulation.

Neck yourself.

Tell me how many capitalist countries have instituted a one child policy.

China

Attached: 89e (1).jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

I don't know try posting some arguments anytime though. The Soviets had a diet on level with Americans if not better.

>The Soviets had a diet on level with Americans if not better.
The same Soviets who believed in Lysenko's BS?

Yeah the same ones, according to the CIA who I think you couldn't find a much more anti-communist bias in the modern world.

>The Soviets had a diet on level with Americans if not better.
Only in the 1980s. And it still collapsed because of how shitty every other aspect of life was.

Attached: 20180307_070635.png (1080x1439, 241K)

Zero proofs

Wrong. One child policy was implemented during Mao's China.

The only reason food is wasted is because if you feed the homeless you’re liable if they get food poisoning

>Only in the 1980s. And it still collapsed because of how shitty every other aspect of life was.
I was just disproving the whole billions of dead soviets meme, especially considering after 1947 no one ever starved in the USSR ever again. Of course until capitalism came back and you had all the homeless children living in Moscow subways. Also considering 57% of Americans have to choose between housing and food I'll say it's not exactly the perfect Capitalist utopia they made it out to be.
hurr
RDP84B00274R000300150009-5.pdf

Yet today it's a capitalist country.

>billions dead meme
More like 7 million during the Holodomor.
20 million during Stalin's rule.
At least 40 million for the whole Soviet period.

How much of that was starvation though that's the main point? A lot of those deaths would be though purges and is that statistic counting ww2 deaths?

>How much of that was starvation though that's the main point?
Between 7 million and 10 million.

>A lot of those deaths would be though purges
Yes.

>and is that statistic counting ww2 deaths?
No, it's not counting WW2 nor the Russian Civil War.

Companies do use computers to limit over producing, managing inventory, and planning logistics. They merely do so in capitalist societies based on what the market it doing, because the market is more predictive than a bunch of computers playing guessing games.

>Between 7 million and 10 million.
That was my point that tens of millions didn't die of starvation. It's quite far from the truth then le commies all starve to death meme implies. The Soviet death count is far more on Purges rather then starvation and atleast one I can remember off the top of my head was caused by the Nazi invasion and seizure of Crimea cutting off food supplies.

>That was my point that tens of millions didn't die of starvation.
They did when you add up the Soviet Union, Maoist China, Ethiopia, etc.

>The Soviet death count is far more on Purges rather then starvation
In China is the other way around.

It also depends on which scholar you consult, famine figures were roughly half of all Stalin deaths. Some scholars (like I did above) also don't include the Russian Civil Ear famine, when you add that up the numbers double.

Also, Venezuela and Zimbabwe both were (are) 21st century famines which can be blamed squarely on price controls and communist command economy ideas.

>* Russian Civil War

It was still implemented during Mao's regime, so the user above was wrong.

The planning was shit though, they would overproduce axes, hammers and such stuff and underproduce actual food

Fuck you liar. Read declassified CIA docs for the real truth.

I don't know what its worth, but my mother was telling me about waiting half a day in line in front of a grocery store in Moscow.
She think there was good sides to USSR, but economy clearly isn't one.

>billions
Hyperbole
>obese Americans
Reflects the extremely poor quality of the food that they are eating, as junk food is by nature more easily mass produced and cheaper than healthy alternatives.

>Why do people think there would be unecessary surpluses and waste in a PLANNED economy?
I don't know, why would they?

Attached: 1520926223439.png (681x921, 76K)