Tomorrow is my first day at the gym, What is your advice?

What should I know? What do I start with? I have no specific goals yet, I just want to improve my life..

Go really late at night. That way there will be less people there and you won't be as embarrassed when you see that everyone is watching you while you workout and you won't hear as many laughs.

Actually I plan on going early in the morning for that reason, going late at night is just inconvenient

Do bullies wake up that early?

nobody is going to bully let alone notice u retard, ur too small to see to the naked eye

Don't just do cardio because hitting the treadmill or bike is the obvious thing. If you're fat like I was chances are you will have muscular legs, so do a few leg exercises like leg press and hamstring curls to maintain that. What you really wanna do is hit your upper body, with both pulling and pushing motions. So press and row machines, lat pulldowns, that kinda thing.

Don't worry too much about other people there. From experience, nobody gives a shit about you unless you have bad or dangerous form. With the exception of thots who will move to a different machine if you use the one next to them. Disregard them and do your thing.

Just make sure you're doing mostly lifts. Warm up for 5-10 minutes with cardio, then do some med-high intensity cardio at the end for 15-30.

I guess but I might stick out for not knowing what to do

The biggest guys go early, right when the gym opens. I hope you won't need a spotter because what you can bench, they can curl. And they will be laughing their asses off at you. All of them will be staring at you during every exercise you perform.

you're not gonna get bullied, ignore the cunts. Do you have a routine picked out yet? Start low on the weights and make sure that you're comfortable with the form, your first time doing the exercises is going be uncomfortable until you get the form

Start by reading the sticky.

I'm skinny fat, I want to build up more than lose weight

Dude, you are in trouble. They call them "gym rats" but I call them "gym sharks" because the buffest guys in the gym will eat you alive if they see a scrawny newcomer prancing into their lifting territory. Wear a helmet with your basketball shorts.

you type like those cuck posters over at /gif/

Then just find a good lifting program or have a PT there draw one up just for you and do it. Eat a lot of shit to bulk and then in 6 months time if you are actually doing it right you will need to cut down. As for going to the gym/embarrassment or whatever, just get over it. Unless it's a shit gym, nobody will give you grief.

Actually the first reply strayed from my original questions and I just replied to them

Since its my first time I just want to know the basic dos and donts

I'm not sure why posting gif's would make you a cuck, and I didn't even post a gif anyway. I just want to warn the OP about how devastating it can be the first time you step into a gym. I've been lifting consistently for 5 years and even though I look moderately built I still get nervous every time I go. I don't understand these guys that take preworkouts that make them more hyper, I take Benadryl before I workout just to dull the pain from insults and judgemental glares you get from everyone there.

Do: Walk into the gym with every exercise you want to do planned out (with incremental increases for the following days/weeks) and a reference for your form/technique.

Don't: Use machines. PT's are a meme that will want you to do whatever allows them the most time with you because that's their payday.

>using machines

They're a good introduction to utter beginners. There's a reason for them besides PTs padding their bottom line. It makes total sense for someone who has never lifted in their life to start on machines and then replace them with freeweights after a few weeks.

>starting an isolation exercise that pads you to never train your joints/ligaments leading you to a higher injury rate when you switch to freeweights

Sure thing pal.

As opposed to zero exercise or even basic training with handling weights?

You realize you just made a case against starting on free weights, right?

Properly performed, full-range-of-motion barbell exercises are essentially the functional expression of human skeletal and muscular anatomy under a load. The exercise is controlled by and the result of each trainee’s particular movement patterns, minutely fine-tuned by each individual limb length, muscular attachment position, strength level, flexibility, and neuromuscular efficiency. Balance between all the muscles involved in a movement is inherent in the exercise, since all the muscles involved contribute their anatomically determined share of the work. Muscles move the joints between the bones which transfer force to the load, and the way this is done is a function of the design of the system – when that system is used in the manner of its design, it functions optimally, and training should follow this design. Barbells allow weight to be moved in exactly the way the body is designed to move it, since every aspect of the movement is determined by the body.

Machines, on the other hand, force the body to move the weight according to the design of the machine. This places some rather serious limitations on the ability of the exercise to meet the specific needs of the athlete. For instance, there is no way for a human being to utilize the quadriceps muscles in isolation from the hamstrings in any movement pattern that exists independently of a machine designed for this purpose. No natural movement can be performed that does this. Quadriceps and hamstrings always function together, at the same time, to balance the forces on either side of the knee. Since they always work together, why should they be exercised separately? Because somebody invented a machine that lets us? Even machines that allow multiple joints to be worked at the same time are less than optimal, since the pattern of the movement through space is determined by the machine, not the individual biomechanics of the human using it. Barbells permit the minute adjustments during the movement that allow individual anthropometry to be expressed.

>advocating machines on Veeky Forums of all places
gtfo newfag

Yeah, everyone knows that machines are far less efficient exercises than free weights. That wasn't the point and you failed to refute it at all.

>DO NOT USE A PERSONAL TRAINER

>it makes total sense for someone who has never lifted in their life to start on machines

>for instance, there is no way for a human being to uitilize the quadriceps muscles in isolation from the hamstrings in any movement pattern that exists independently of a machine designed for this purpose.

AKA injury city when you have the neuromuscular infrastructure on certain muscles and not on a full-body load's proper handling of force. Try to read next time.

I've gotten back into lifting in the past few weeks and have a question about when I can stop going at 6am? I don't mind lifting with all the nice chads but the brads and stacies scare me. They seem to come out in the afternoon.

You're just repeating a point that was already bunk. You're not better off starting free weights with absolutely no training behind you at all.

>ur point is wrong because I say so!

Nice argument there.