/FAST/ WHO NEEDS GF WHEN YOU HAVE IF EDITION

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

>Doesn't salt make you explode?
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/
tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/auto.1.3.2017?needAccess=true

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

If you have any sticky suggestions, post them and they will be included in the future

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns)
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?
youtube.com/watch?v=uxM_CLsvieE&feature=youtu.be&t=9286
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you really feel the need to spam this shit?

hell yeah, fast day 2. Chillin with a mug of magnesium powder. fuck the slide threads lets keep this shit to the general.

Yeah sorry dude the only general allowed here is /fat/.

Fuck off if you don't want to contribute to /fast/

I'm just now starting to look into IF to cut some fat (pants getting to tight after a good bulk). So bear with me if I'm being retarded here, but doesn't "mistake Nr. 3" in the third video in the sticky (youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns) contradict the mealplan in leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html? - also in the sticky

OMAD here. But not really. I fast all day until an evening meal now and then as a means to even out the days that I splurge a bit.

It's worked surprisingly well. I might actually hit 200/199 by my bday in December if I could do this now and then.

Is the 5:2 diet a meme or would a normal diet work the same?

How do I break a long fast (14 days) guys?
I keep reading up different information.

Intermitting fasting is for faggots and midgets. Go full fast

Just eat small rations of vegetables. Dont go full retard on shit food

>be lanklet
>do keto for a year or so
>IF, marathons and farmer carries for the last 6 months
>small gains but noticed by family & on/off grill I see
>running endurance main priority
>want to longfast for health/superpowers
>burn almost all my fat reserves in just a couple days
>decide to bulk
>GOMAD
>only ever ran fasted
>guts sloshing around during every run
>feels bad

At least I put on 15lbs, gonna keep this up until late december, take my winter vacation and just run around the desert fasted for 2 weeks. I envy the fatties for now though.

What does it feel like on a long fast? After a few days the hunger subsides... when do you stop?

Can you actually make it to single digits bf by simply not eating?

Noob question lads,

Ive been doing IF 23:1 for 3 months already and have lost 30 pounds.

Now interested in putting Keto in the mix to further fat burning even more

My question is if im doing it right if i follow Keto recipes and intake caloric needs (1500cal) at the same time when i finally eat?

Something about it feels wrong but according to 'rules' of Keto and IF i should be good?

Assuming you can eat enough fat in that 1 hour window to trigger ketosis...

holy fuck i bet you look like shit, post a pic

Generally speaking, you can stop a fast when your body demands that you stop - ie gives you the tell tale signs that you're dying and actually need food now. Such as when you've run out of fat deposits that your body can access, or if you've become so mineral deficient that it's now a serious problem.
I'm reaching 14 days pretty soon and I don't "really" need to stop. Honestly I could probably go longer but my family's coming to visit and I don't really want to abstain from eating out with them all, so I'm gonna break my fast in time for when they arrive.

Small rations of vegetables, sure. But for how many days do you figure and just how much vegetables? I kinda want a calorie number to shoot for while breaking my fast because veggies aren't really high In calories. I can make some fruit smoothies and shit but yeah, how much calories should I be eating per day while I break my fast and for how long until I can start eating normal again?

Drink a bone broth, high in calories but really soft on the gut. Seriously, it has "bro" right in the name.

Yes, the sticky is a fucking meme. Veeky Forums's sticky is fitness bluepill as fuck.

Delivered

>be lanklet
>>running endurance main priority
smdh

The sticky is old (10 years or so) and made by a SA goon... it's good for beginners but is lacking.

Spent 2 weeks to lose 5 pounds before learning about fasting. I started IF 3 days ago, already lost another 5 pounds.

WTF is it about IF that lets you cut so much faster?

So you did all this meme shit and now you look like someone who start lifting 6 months ago

congratulations, you played yourself

Running keeps me from going bowl cut. Browsing Veeky Forums has definitely made me want to put on more muscle, but long runs in the mountains or on the beach make me feel human or something. I need it.

You don't need to eat "enough" fat to trigger ketosis you double nigger, "ketosis" just means your body has depleted its glycogen supply of easy energy and is now burning fat from your fat cells... CICOfags think the point of eating keto is high fat for satiety because they can't grasp how it works.

>stop intaking carbs
>body no longer has easy supply of glycogen
>body still needs fuel
>body enters ketosis
>starts taking body fat and converting it to ketone bodies for energy
>do this for a while
>lose lots of weight

Eating fat is an eating strategy that ensures your body doesn't switch back over to using glycogen for fuel, and continues producing ketone bodies out of fat. The overall goal being weight lose, the mechanism being USING body fat for energy... Keto Diets and Fasting compliment eat other in that they both force your body to use ketone bodies for energy by denying it carbohydrates/glycogen.

Where these two differ is the goal of normalizing insulin levels.

Yup. Bench faggot

I want thiccccc' elf to wall my dik

Increases HGH, Dr. Fung explains why CI

Lol, but I literally did start lifting 6 months ago. I didn't change my diet for strength or aesthetics, I changed it to run really really far. Added in the farmer carries six months ago because strong legs go further. I'm not a bodybuilder.

U look like shit though

Fair enough, but consider...

>joint damage
>future hip replacement

From a utilitarian standpoint (which I know you're not saying) there isn't much use in running marathons, most of the distance covered on foot historically has been covered by plain ole walking... where as being physically large and being able to move heavy objects is immensely beneficial on the daily.

>You don't need to eat "enough" fat to trigger ketosis
But I want to do ketosis while still eating a lot. Fasting is for fucking retards.

Depending on the time frame, IF on like a 16/8 cycle doesn't really fix hormonal problems like insulin resistance. You need longer periods of very low insulin levels (from not eating) for the hormonal tolerance to reduce. It didn't happen overnight, and it will take a lot longer on a consistent 16 hour fast than it would on a consistent 72 hour fast.

why are you even here lad

What is the overall goal? Weightloss while still lifting and making gains? If so, Keto is not the magic diet that makes this possible.

Not really.
Being physically large and moving big things costs a fuckton in energy. Both to maintain and to use.

Fourth day now brehs, I am close to entering godmode?

Forefoot running with good form makes a big difference for your joints. I know it doesn't make your legs invincible but there's plenty of sandal clad savages running in there 60s-80s (read Born to Run)

I get the utility aspect. Running does make me better at walking though. Last week I bought a 50lb kettlebell and I've been carrying it about 1.5 miles on my lunch breaks. Probably not a great way to get big, but it feels natural to carry something heavy.

Endurance running doesn't? Cardiovascular conditioning is also difficult to cultivate and maintain.

Super Saiyan heavy clothes mode, how are you securing a kettlebell so it isn't flopping around.

Will yohimbine stop a fast since it's a herb or will it actually help during a fast because it helps mobilize fat.

I carry it in my hands. When my forearm wears out I put it on my shoulder, when that wears out I switch hands. Lot's of positions to hold it in.

Can I fast the entire day from the night before, but at the end of the day eat like 3000kcal in one sitting and still reap benefits from Autophagy?

you don't look bad at all desu senpai

day 16 here brehs

i can tell you if you make it to day 15 your energy levels drop more than ever. i can tell you guys that weight loss is not steady but if you average it out it is steady. You may not get any weight loss for 1 or 2 days in a row but on the third day you will have lost weight like it's been steadily losing. I don't know why the body does this.

Also while fasting, let me give you guys a protip. And most sites don't talk about this. Take in some salts. Even if you just buy some Himalayan salt and much on some of it. I'm telling you the salt in your system makes you feel better.

Thanks pham

Lol even according to you I look like someone who has been lifting for exactly as long as I've been lifting.

How much have you lost so far?

I don't have any bone broth or pink Himalayan salt on me. Should I even bother fasting until I get said things?

I would say around 20-22 pounds. Remember at least 5 is water weight.

Honestly its pretty cool to lose nearly 1 pound a day. If I don't see movement I wait till the next day. The following day sometimes I still may not see change and I get a little discouraged. But on the next day it's always down at least 2-3 pounds and this motivates me again.

Losing 25lb chunks is motivating. But i wanna get so far away from 300. Hell. I would be really happy at 220 because 220 is so close to 200. If I was 220 I would immediately fast knowing I could be 199 in half a month.

I havent been under 200 since I was a small child.

be prepared because you are gonna feel sick and tired.

get the broth, the salt, good multivitamins, potassium and magnesium and some kind of calcium supplements and plenty of water, maybe some gum, some tea or coffee (caffeine suppresses hunger and the 1st week is hardest)

I heard that your metabolism slows immensely while doing a long water day fast, so when you break it and start eating again, it's very likely to gain the weight back again.
What do you guys have to say about that?

> 48 hour fast since Sunday
> Expecting to break fast tonight so decide to sous vide some steak
> Come home from work to discover a power outage had turned off my stick so meat isn't ready

Help guys, I only have veggies and fruit, how do eat such that I get enough fat, protons, and fat without killing myself

Bumpng for this

Been running IF for two and half years. Shredded as faurk with good amount of muscle mass. Don't even feel the need to eat any more... just have one massive feast of high sat/monosat foods and foods filled with micros.

Btw, if you're not going min 20 hrs without calories you're not fasting.

I don't think so, but I'm not an expert. I think your body can still run on dietary fats and sugars for 24 hours depending on what you're eating so it wouldn't start looking for useless cells to burn up.

Your metabolism slows down to a crawl when you eat very little but that doesn't happen when you straight up fast. Your metabolism actually goes up considerably.

Really tired of this "fasting and not losing weight meme". On day 25 of water fast and I didnt lose any weight for last 4 days. I wanted to last longer but might just as well end it and switch to OMAD

Might just be holding in water. Are you supplementing with salt?
Be sure to judge your fat loss by appearance too. It's not all just scale weight.

Sometimes I do. I really dont like salt

Can I transition a long fast to keto? Say, do 10 days and on day 11 don't do carbs?

there is something called refeeding syndrome which can be deadly. It's seriously something you need to know about.

Basically digestion is NOT just a mineral absorption process. It takes a lot of work for your body to digest food and since fasting bankrupts you of a lot of nutrients when you go to eat you can easily actually drain yourself TO DEATH attempting to digest food. Heart failure, etc.

The longer you fast, the longer you need to spend slowly getting back to eating normal. Starting off with basic cream soups like potato or butternut squash or tomato cream or split pea, etc etc. For a few days is good.

People say fruit, but that's false because of the huge fructose rush is actually detrimental to your body because of the resources required to process the huge amount of fructose. People do it, but its not optimal, and then they tell people it's optimal, which is wrong.

If you eat a bunch of protein after a 10 day fast your body is gonna hate you.

If you do it after a month you might die.

hey fasting user, can you give me some numbers here
so light soups and broths and shit after breaking your fast for a few days, and then slowly introduce vegetables, and then after a few days of that, then you can introduce actual solid food like meat and stuff, right?
also do you have any idea like how many calories we should be shooting for on a day per day basis while breaking the fast? like 500~1000? less?
I wanna break my fast as healthily as possible so the number of calories would really help me out here lad

Mostly right! Go for the higher calorie broths because no fat chicken broth is like 20 calories for a freaking qt and beef is still only 100. I'd go for soups that are like around 100 cals per serving with 3 or 4 servings per container.

I imagine you want to probably go

300 cals x3 days
500 cals x3 days
700 cals x2 days
1000 cals x5 days

if I only do 1 month this is exactly what I'll be doing. It might be overprotective but to lose a bunch of weight and die like a bitch from eating too much after your fast is retarded.

Now if I go 3 months i'll probably x3 the routine i showed you. The idea is to wake the body back up. The wakeup period is important because you also need to remember during fasts your body is flood with toxins if your fat. Once you start eating again your toxins levels are gonna drop but not right away.

friendly reminder that a pound of fat takes 3500 calories to burn off, so essentially most people will burn 3.5lbs of pure FAT a week (more if you're obese with a tdee of like 3000) so if you fast for like 2 weeks and lose 20lbs then 10lbs come back don't go "hurr durr weight came back never doing this meme again".

If you want to be a total autist measure your tdee and the days you water fast so you can have some sort of estimate of how much fat you lost or how much weight is gonna come back

Or better yet don't even step on the scale for at least a week after breaking a long fast, just do your cut like you'd normally do.

>tfw just took my first shit in 8 days while fasting
feels good man

Just like to say, this guy is clearly a /google/docs and not a real doc.

Refeeding syndrome is not that.

Real doctor here, (insert liability claim here)
Refeeding syndrome is namely about electrolytes, namely potassium, because in a state of a complete fasting, your levels of electrolytes are depleted. This is compounded by the lack of signalling of insulin, which drives potassium into cells. Insulin becomes way more sensitive after a fast. So in a state of refeeding, where there is a spike in insulin, this will drive potassium into cells and lead to low plasma levels of potassium, which the worst could be death due to an arrhythmia of the heart.

Ultimately this means:
1. supplement electrolytes for longer fasts (no hard science on what length you would need to do in order for this to be warranted, just use your imagination on that one)
2. keto diet post fast is actually a really good idea
You can restore electrolytes, micronutrients and provide a bit of fuel in the form of fats to an already fat/keto adapted body
3. get a real physicians opinion/ do some real research and understand physiology. Its so easy for me now to see through a lot of crap and hone in on whats right or probably right, by using 'first principles', this is where I use the foundation of knowledge of physiology to hypothesize what will happen without actually having done real scientific work

How do I supplement electrolytes?

>be me yesterday
>on my 36th hour of fasting, had lost 300g
>broke said fast and binged 3 times during the day
>when to sleep hating myself
>woke up and went to the scale with fear in my guts
>mfw I lost 0.4kg

How does that shit even work at this point?

Is oatmeal porridge with fruits a good way to break a 3,5day water fast?
What should I eat in order to keep the weight-loss?

How much pink himalaya salt should I consume a day on these extended fasts? 1tbsp?

Simple way is to just take shots of salt with potassium in them, although this can be unpalatable, and obviously chase it with heaps of water
Best way I found was to have those zero calorie sports drinks, which contain potassium and sodium, i usually have one or two in the morning before a workout
Other ways could be this bone broth thing that everyone talks about, im not an expert on that, just make sure u dont hit any carbs over like 9g in a day

I've been trying IF for a while now and my ability to concentrate gets fucked for the few hours before my eating window. It makes me think about how people say students need breakfast to concentrate/learn in school. Is IF just a meme?

it's a meme that helped me lose 10kg fairly painlessly in less than a month
drink a lot of water and black coffee, and take your salts and vitamins. you should be a functioning human being within 5 days (or even less) of the diet.

It's a meme that helped me to cut from 35 BMI in August to this. A good meme, indeed.

You got pretty BTFO, tbqh lad

>10kg in less than a month
how. How much calories were you eating?

what was your starting weight and whats your current weight?

Starting was 106. Now it's 89.

I just read this the other day. Roman senator Rogatianus (3rd century) cured his gout by fasting.
>He even abandoned his own house, spending his time here and there at this friends' and acquaintances', sleeping and eating with them and taking, at that, only one meal every other day. He had been a victim of gout, carried in a chair, but this new regime of abstinence and abnegation restored his health: he had been unable to stretch out his hands; he came to use them as freely as men living by manual labour.

About 500 kcal/day (400 protein/100 fat).
Also did 30 mins uninterrupted running 4 times a week, which is why I said "helped me lose 10kg".

Noob here. Can the body eat the fat while maintaining the weight while eating clean?

Who here OMAD and KETO?
Been doing OMAD and thinking of combining with keto. Thoughts?

Surprisingly manageable and great for fat loss. Go for it.

>And most sites don't talk about this. Take in some salts
they don't talk about this because you're not fasting if you take multivitamins, salt, broth and other supplements
good for you losing all that weight, but you're not fasting, you're just eating very little

But salt and vitamins arent macronutrients, so your body basicly stays in the same state as when fasting. Right?

not the guy you're responding to but I lost 10 kgs in like 6 weeks on 16:8 IF and I wasn't even trying to count my calories. I actually broke my fast at noon with fast food almost every day (burgers, fries, bernaise etc.).
it probably had a positive impact that I was working as a carpenter at the time and on the move the whole day.
now I'm back to school and I really don't feel any negative difference in my concentration. if anything I'm more focused before I break my fast

it feels like we have this discussion every /fast/ thread that always ends with someone linking to an article or a scientist saying that everything other than water breaks your fast, followed by some user saying "well I don't know, taking multivitamins and salt makes sense to me, despite what some fancy "scientists" say, so I'm going to keep doing it and recommending other people do it"
I'm too lazy to google it for you or go digging in the archives, so just do whatever you think makes sense or simply google it.

Anyone here has studies this guy is talking about? Im not an expert in pubmed search terms etc. And fasting studies seem to be kinda rare and hard to find.

New to fasting. Wow, so no salt or multivitamins?!

Hey lads, does it matter what time I take my vitamins while fasting? I'm doing IF 20:4.
Should I take my vitamins every day at the same time during my eating window, or does it not matter if I take my vitamins during my fasting window?

So any kind of soluable fiber, oil based anything like fish oil, or any multivitamins that are gumi based or have any kind of sugar will break the fast. Definitely no 0 calorie sodas or anything.
Not so sure about herbs. Really don't know.

Apparently...

Caffeine I'm not so sure about.

i fasted once for a week when i was on vacation in montana. there was nowhere to go, so i sat at home watching youtube videos basically the entire time. now i’m back in new york and can’t get back into fasting. i want another week, but i just get the desire to eat. i’m not even hungry...i just love the smell of certain foods and the process of eating them.

any advice on kicking this? i’m 5’10 160...so it’s not like i’m underweight

youtube.com/watch?v=uxM_CLsvieE&feature=youtu.be&t=9286

So does anyone know if brushing your teeth triggers an insulin response? I imagine since gum spikes it brushing might too.

shit, I haven't thought about that. better try to find some zero taste toothpaste, that exists doesn't it?

>wants to eat a lot of fatty food
>wants to lose weight while doing it
>calls people who know better than him retards
Okay user. Okay

I wouldn't say he says it's retarded but a part of the whole.

Not really, takes around 2-3 days for the mTOR activation to diminish and give that drastic increase in autophagy.

anyone know how much is HGH increased after 24 days of fasting? This only starts at 5 days.

Would it be worthy to do alternate day fasting? Eating on training days and fasting on rest days for gains and fat loss?