Run 3 miles in 26:00

>Run 3 miles in 26:00
>Run 4 miles in 39:30

How should I go about getting faster on the longer distances? Go slower overall? Or just try to maintain the ~8:30 pace until exhaustion and then jog at whatever pace I can until I hit my mileage?

Imagine there's an endless supply of pussy at the finish line. That'd motivate me.

Run more / run faster

that's it. Just make sure to actually try and do record your times to check progression

I just started kinda recently, I always check my pace, I started at a 10 minute pace, and Ive now worked my way down to 8:30 pace, however most of that was merely noob-gains. I am aiming at being able to maintain an 8 minute pace for 5 miles.

if you're this slow im assuming you're inexperienced enough to focus on form. make sure you aren't wasting excess energy in moving your torso and arms too much. keep your head in a neutral position with your gaze set on the ground about 10 meters in front of you. Most likely, you need to lengthen your stride, breathe, control, and relax. Look in to heel, toe, and midfoot striking too. Doing track workouts and long runs will help you with your middle distance goals.

Doesn't lengthening your stride increase the force of impact, and raise your energy expenditure in the long run?

Like with toe-strike, I've found that the most energy efficient stride is medium-short, so that you're not bouncing up and down as much (avoiding unnecessary movement). It's more of a little bouncy roll off the ball of your foot. Combine this with a slight forward lean so that your weight is carrying you forward, and you barely have to lift your feet.

I find that it's great for maintaining speed over long distances, but maybe it's better suited for that, and not speed over middle-distance. I'm a certified Broscientist lol, so maybe you can aware me on something.

(Not OP)

Running is stupid. Just do sprints

I don't actually run in training anymore, just sprints and stairs for me.

I still like the science of knowing how to run long distances without getting tired, though. Once in a while I like to go on a long az trail run with the bf.

Why would you not run any more? I mean 10 100m sprints isnt enough to get your heart rate up.

Ummmm, you may not be "sprinting" then desu.

10X100m is good for a sprinting workout, but if your heart rate isn't up by your second sprint at 80%, then you're either not running at 80%, or your recruitment of skeletal musculature is underdeveloped.

I've actually seen this twice, where a friend of mine who ran marathons would sprint with me, and his heart rate would remain pretty low the entire workout. THAT BEING SAID, I was leaving him in the dust on every sprint.

Basically, if your heart isn't beating fast throughout almost the entire workout, you're just not going fast enough.

And I still run, but just the occasional (once a week or so) leisurely 10k in the park.

The ideal is 180 strides/min. Good luck doing that with long strides.

Unless you run a sub 18 5k dont give running advice, you guys don't know shit

That's a pretty low bar for serious runners, cuz, and I ain't talkin squats.

You ain't winning SHIT with an 18 minute 5K

What should my heart rate be when I’m running? Mine normally between 170-180.

what? what the fuck are we talking like really 39 minutes here? Thats 120 meters a minute with average length of the step being 78 cm that means 2 steps a minute? nigga i can crawl faster with my limbs tied what the fuuuuck

>average step is .8m
>120m per minute
>somehow that’s only 2 strides a minute.

user you are not good a math.

Nigger your heart is gonna blow up.

no he is not though the point stands
4 miles=6.43738 km
6.437/39.5=0.16297164557
so thats 163 m a minute
average length of a step is 78 cm so that is 156 cm so basically 2 steps a minute.
I assume most people can crawl faster than that

>m
>cm
Do your fucking conversions

You are also retarded.

>4 miles in 39:30
>Run
Pick one.

> extra mile takes you 13.5 minutes

Nigga you gotta actually run. Work on running 2 miles best speed, 4 times a week if possible. Add in some fartlek sessions. Once youre time per mile goes down considerably, then add on more miles gradually.

That’s stupid. He’s already at a ok (for a normie) pace. He should just maintain that pace but add a quarter mile every week or week and a half.

And in doing that just maintain the trend of getting slower and slower for every mile added? As opposed to actually working on a set distance, measuring the improvement, and once he can maintain X pace for a couple miles, add an extra mile, smash that distance until he can do X pace over that, and so on and so on?

You literally just described doing exactly what I said do.

Those times are horrible as fuck.

You:
> maintain shite pace and on top of rapidly increasing time per mile, add more mileage
Me:
> drop the mileage, keep practicing set distance until GOOD time per mile is achieved, then slowly add mileage whilst aiming to maintain good pace

But OP is only like a minute off the pace he wants. Sure it isn’t a good pace but if he’s only going after an 8 minute mile and he’s already putting in 8:30 he should just keep that pace and work up to his total mileage THEN work to drop his pace.

Hes trying to run 5 miles in 40 minutes. Given that currently he can only do 4 miles in 39 minutes, and his mile time increases dramatically per mile, hes not exactly, as you say, a minute off; besides, taking a minute off a 8:30 pace is harder than taking a minute off a 9:30 mile, the faster you want to go per mile the more work it requires the faster you wanna be (diminishing returns to scale).
All adding an extra quarter mile is gunna do is further increase his times without any decent increase in time per mile; his fourth mile is clearly where hes absolutely shattered, adding extra distance onto that isnt productive.

However, if he cut his distance down to 2 or 3 miles, its much more attainable to achieve that 8 minute mile pace over shorter distances; then once he is used to that pace and it isnt a struggle, gradually adding distance wont be that hard. Our approaches are just inverses of each other; yours is add distance and eventually gain speed over the whole distance; minute is gain speed then add distance.

you need to train both long and mid distance separately

run 2 miles and go for a PR, or run 5 miles holding a pace. Don't bother trying to do both every single time you run, it's not feasible. Judging by your last mile pace you still need to work on your cardio so you may want to lower your starting mile(s) pace and up the total mileage, you can dedicate a day to this and a day to running 2-3 miles with good form and pushing yourself with a good pace

Run more. Run further, run more often. Seriously, it's that simple.

what is happening here? is this a landwhale running thread?
> He’s already at a ok (for a normie) pace.
I mean i know Veeky Forums is full of larpers but cmon my wife ran a mile in 8 minutes after giving birth.

>my wife ran a mile in 8 minutes after giving birth

Kek

OP here. I should point out my 4 mike time includes a 2 minute rest I took immediately after the 3 miles. So far 3 miles seems to be my limit for the 8:30ish pace. After that I hit s brick wall.

I'm in my early 20s and I'm having stiff neck issues when half way through the first mile. Am I fucked?

Bro, I can almost walk faster than you can run... As for training, it'd be best for you to run as long as you can going a comfortable pace, stop, rest and then do it again later in the day. Also, find music that you can match your stride with.

do you really gotta be a cunt

Running is for poorfags

What does this even mean?

Do you want to build a ton of muscle or become a long distance runner? You can't do both.

>medium distance runner (3-7 miles)
>medium muscle mass

Look into your heart, you know this is the patrician combo.

Yes

I am also curious about this. I just started working out and my heart rate goes to 170bpm after about a half mile of walking. Is this too fast?

why is everyone on this board so fucking garbage at anything related to ACTUAL fitness

I swear to God, most people here only care their gains and aesthetics. I'm starting to doubt if these anons even run.

Depends on if you want to make it past 50.

yes, he does

What the fuck does Veeky Forums need to be impressed?

>I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes
LOL NOT SUB 15
>I squatted 3pl8
DYEL 4pl8 MASTER RACE
>I am trying to get my lower abs to come in
LOL I HAVE A 8 pack. EAT LESS FAT FUCK.

I swear everyone here is actually fat, weak, and insecure.

Everyone here is chad. Don’t hate because you’re a virgin

Kek