Anyone here had luck treating depression with supplements / nootropics?

Anyone here had luck treating depression with supplements / nootropics?

Sports, healthy eating and good sleeping just isn't doing enough for me.

Was thinking of things like 5-HTP, St Johns Wort, Rhodiola... etc.

Not sure which to try first, I've read about a lot of different ones, but it's hard to find reliable stories of success, even more so considering that everyone's brain chemistry and illness is different.

Anyway, if anyone has had any luck or experience with any please let me know.

I’ve had successes with a few different drugs but they all end up having huge side effects that were not worth it in the end. Best treatment is slow but steady change in your thinking

I've tried a shitload of things for depression/anxiety. My supplement stack at the moment is:

>magnesium 300mg morning and night
>b6 50mg morning
>N-acetyl-cysteine 1g morning and night
>lithium orotate 5mg morning
>zinc 25mg morning and night
>st john's wort 400mg morning and night

Honestly I think my stack is pretty solid and could probably be a lot of use to you. I wouldn't copy my exact doses but the magnesium, b6, zinc and NAC are definitely a good starting point.

I've only just started taking St John's wort but it has been hugely helpful so far. Also, I took it when i was about 16 and had some severe depression and it was very helpful then as well. It's one of those herbs that works for some people and doesn't work for others but if serotonin is your issue it might help. I've tried 5HTP as well and that sort of helped for a while but then it stopped working.

Lithium orotate keeps me really level and stops me getting crazy panic attacks. Lots of other people say it helps heaps with depression and anxiety so you could try that too.

NAC helps with brain inflammation which can be another cause of depression so give that go if you want.

Other than that I meditate every day (extremely helpful), run every other day, try to sleep as best as I can (not always successful but it helps when I do) and actively try to think positively.

Hope that helps man, I'll keep checking this thread if you want to ask me anything.

Phenibutt makes me more sociable, less nervous and anxious. I feel "alpha" when I take it

t. Was a normie in highschool, but then spent 5 years as a shut in neet, and now trying to break out of that

Weed does it for me. Ingest or vape if you dont want the smoke.

Don't listen to this guy. Weed is a stupid drug and if it actually does help with depression the side effects will not be worth it anyway

Phenibut is addictive and the withdrawals can be pretty terrible. Not a good supplement to take regularly although I have taken it sometimes at parties if I'm not drinking and want to feel less anxious.

SSRIs worked for me, at least for hqlf a year. No major side effects.

Back to being suicidal now though.

I honestly don't know why people think shit like st johns wort is better than meds. If it works (and it does) then it works in the same way as SSRIs, it's just less predictable in terms of dosing and metabolism.

Had my best days on Fluoxetine, minus the limp dick it wasn't too bad in terms of side effects.

Thanks for this reply.

I'll have to give some of these a try, but it's hard to know where to start and what is working / what isn't / what to combine and how.

Not to mention the minimum price here is 15€ for a bottle of these pills.

Oh well, trial and error.

What side effects? There are none. My quality of life went up and is a way better alternative to pharmaceuticals which actually makes you at greater risk of harming yourself.

If you aren't smoking it it's not damaging your lungs and thats the only side effect weed has and even then it was far less than tobacco smoke.

You are straight up lying to this guy.

never more than every 3 days, max of twice a week

I'm going to keep on it for social gains. And once I unlearn how to be an autist I'll drop it

Herbs like St. John's Wort don't have the side effects that SSRIs do. People don't actually know how SJW works either so you don't know if it works in the same way as SSRIs do.

Yeah man it can get expensive, but serious try the b6, magnesium and zinc combo at the very least.

>weed
>no side effects
Only a degenerate weed smoker could be this delusional

OP here.

Weed actually made me irreversibly worse. Made my anxiety, paranoia, derealisation and focus so much worse.

It was nice when I used to smoke cause I would enjoy things a lot more, but afterwards I noticed it did more harm than good and living in a bubble wasn't getting me anywhere.

>States weed smoke will damage lungs
>Advises to ingest or vape
>Somehow no side effects.

You are dumber then the average pot smoker.

You think damage to lungs is the only side effect of weed? Top kek kid

If I may ask: how could you tell the St Johns Wort was working? Any concrete examples of serious or silly things you noticed improving?

Also, is an all in one ZMA supplement as good as taking those 3 supplements separately? I think I have a bottle of it I took once or twice after working out.

Overdoses of St John's wort causes Sertonin syndrome, guess what else can result in Serotonin syndrome?

Wow its almost like SSRIs and SJW work on similar pathways in the brain.

Yes, both work with serotonin. This does not mean they work in the same way.

SSRIs basically keep serotonin around in the brain for longer. They don't make you produce more of it, it just stays in your brain for longer.

No one knows how SJW works, but it's likely it makes you produce more overall.

Do you understand the difference kid?

I'm not sure because I don't know how much of each supplement is in the ZMA sup. Probably not enough to be honest, I think the minimum dose you'd need for those supplements to be effective is 300mg magnesium, 15mg zinc and 25mg b6

So my anxiety/depression is basically just characterised by having an extremely intense obsession over the symptoms of my anxiety/depression, which are generally intrusive thoughts and depersonalization. When it's bad I'll be having intrusive thoughts constantly and I'll feel like I'm in a dream all day. If it's better I will either not have intrusive thoughts as frequently or I won't notice them as much and won't obsess over how frequent they are, and i won't feel the depersonalisation. Since taking SJW i have noticed an improvement in both.

Stop drinking alcohol. Start learning something new that will contribute to the quality of your life and your abilities as a person. Set small, easily achievable daily goals based around it and thank and congratulate yourself for every single success. Take the time to remember every time you thank yourself. Be grateful to the you who sacrificed so the you right now could have that moment of achievement. Create a good relationship with yourself around learning this new thing (this is habit forming and will leak into the rest of your life eventually). Now buy a schedule and start allocating more of your time to other things that interest you. Eat better, think better, thrive on your gratitude and your eagerness to please yourself. Grow. Keep growing. Ask lots of questions. Be mindful of the answers. If you get stressed out take a nap. Taking a rest is always a valid option, giving up isnt. Set new goals, never stop reaching.

Depression is imbalance, damage, and poor sense of self. It cannot exist form more then a moment in an atmosphere of gratitude and pursuit.

add vitamin D