runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>tense arms and neck
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
What injuries are you nursing?

Other urls found in this thread:

decathlon.co.uk/ekiprime-mens-shoes-id_8379987.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How far have you run this week?
19 miles
>What are you working on?
recovering from high speed work
>How was your last run?
chilled 16km
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
-
>What injuries are you nursing?
Blisters on top of foot, blasted shoes/socks.

Planning to go for a 1 hour cardio session tomorrow morning. I haven't run in years and I'll probably be jogging and walking most of the time. I'd like to make this a daily routine and try to progress in intensity slowly. Any tips?

Why the fuck does nobody on Veeky Forums ever post in the run threads?

>lazy fatties
>roiding manlets
>ppl who fell for the cardio kills gains meme

I typically do about two 5k's a week and two or so HIIT sessions on top of lifting, climbing, occasionally martial arts. Balance in everything.

I'm going to start running twice a week.

i was thinking 1 "endurance" run, so aiming for distance with speed.

and 1 uphill power day where I blast my legs like mad.

will this give me a good balance between strength and endurance? worth it?

I run 15 miles a week on top of Crossfit (kek) and lifting 3 days a week.

All of my friends talk shit because they can lift more than me, and when I point out I can easily run 3 miles at double or triple their pace they simply scoff at me and "running is gay"

please dont give up

How do you deal with people telling you that 'running is bad for you - it's scientifically proven!'

So is drinking Soda, so is eating sweets, so is breathing in this unhealthy air.

But guess what, running also stops me from being a fucking fatass. The extra 12-1500 calories I run off each day I could not afford to not burn. I would gain weight at a crazy weight.

Because lifters gonna lift

Go for less time. I believe you will be more likely to make it a habit that way. Warm up by walking half a mile, run a mile or two at a slow pace, and then walk another half mile.

The first time is likely going to feel the worse, but it will feel less and less awful with time, providing you stick with it. Most of my life I've hated running. Now that I've been doing it every second day for months, it's really not that bad and I'm starting to find it fun at times.

>that first chilly fall run

muh dick

Anyone else getting excited now that it is getting cooler out?

>What are you working on
Getting my mile and a half below 7:40 and getting my 5 mile below 32:30

Need advice though, I keep getting hip pain whenever I do 1.5 mile less than 8 minutes, any ideas why?

tight hip flexors maybe? make sure to stretch them out. you can consider using a lacrosse to roll out the muscle as well.

I love running. Training for Phoenix Marathon next Feb. Will be my first marathon and will have been running one year in Feb.

I do all that crap. It's actually pain in the lower part of the joint and only on one side, IDK what it is. I might see a doctor soon.

>tfw still haven't run at all this week

You can go a week without running before your cardio gets worse desu

2-mile run went from 24 minutes to 19 minutes in 6 months

I'll be ready for the army before march bruh

I'm trying to run 5.6 miles a day 5 days a week but on day 4 the pain in my left leg just gets too bad and I end up taking like 3 consecutive rest days. Still I'm happy with these numbers

i get it too. run slower.

But then I'm slower...

What's the middle ground?

Push through it as have faith it'll go away (which it usually does)

Work on 800m repeats, hill sessions and 5ks. My 1.5 mile run time dropped to 10:06 to 8:58 in a couple months doing that, dont know what im on now but i can run a 6 minute mile fairly comfortably.

I figure I'm near the natty limit anyways, so I guess I can kinda chill out a bit

That's sprints, right?

be happy you can run that far, most can't.

800 metres is half a mile, you want to be ideally at a stage where you can jog that under 3 minutes without too much effort. Do 800, take a couple minutes rest then go again, rest, repeat for a total of at least 6-8 reps. Gradually reduce your rest time until you can do it back to back (2 in a row) at a comfortable pace. For hill sprints make sure its a decent incline and youre sprinting for a good 150+ metres if possible, slow jog down then back up, do that for a few reps and you should be shattered.

>distance
30mi
>working on
I'd like to get to a solid 7"30 pace
>last run
My usual run 5 mi, I wish I pushed at the 30 minute mark to a sprint
>injuries
New development of my knees starting to bug me, I started jump roping on concrete, and I usually run on concrete, so that's probs why

I hope to hit my own personal marathon in the next 3 months.

you can if you run more

Do muay thai leg stretches, e.g open/close gate, high knees and such. They really helped with my running.

>Thanks user, will do

> no worries fella

I started c25k about 4 weeks ago.
I'm 340 lbs now but getting better all the time.
Been doing week 1 program over and over to try to get used to being active.
I finally switched it to week 2
I just went 2.02 miles tonight
I know it's not much but God damn I feel good about my progress
Ty to the user in advice who called me obese and directed me to Veeky Forums you've changed my life

Why are you running at 340 pounds? Shouldn't you be biking to protect the ol' knees?

This might be a dumb question, but hiw can you tell if you're running or if you're jogging?

You're probably right, but I just don't have the balance for a bicycle anymore. I could go to the gym and ride the recumbent bike but I just love being outside and running now.

Jogging is a comfortable pace that can be maintained for a fairly long distance, the sort of pace you can have a conversation at. Running is faster, therefore usually can be maintained for less distance and breathing harder.

I dunno man, I don't want to give you an excuse to be a fat fuck but at the same time watch that shit, joint pain is hell. Eating even less to get the same TDEE without running might be a better idea, at least until you're under 250 or so.

noted, do you think riding an exercise bike would be effective at limiting joint damage while still staying active?
Sorry to derail the running thread a bit but I'm curious.

Yeah, plus it'll still increase your heart rate and give you the cardio benefits, so after your megacut you'll be in great shape

What should I do if I can run a 5k in 20 minutes and a 10k in 43? Should I focus on getting faster or just on more distance. I haven't really done a long run in a while because I suck at pacing myself and always burn out at like 4 miles if I'm not careful

What are your goals? Faster time per mile or more endurance?

Depends on you're goals, but 5km in 20m is pretty good. If you wanna do military focus on distance and strength otherwise do whatever you want.

How do you fight that dead legs feeling?

I've recently taking up lifting and sometimes I just feel too tired to run. I had to stop on my run today a few times and walk because my legs just felt tired. doesnt hurt, just feels so exhausted.

these times seem off. If u 1.5mi in under 8min you should be able to do 5k in 25ish. Over 30 is plain shit given your 1.5mi time. Do more longer endurance runs, I guess.

5 miles, that's 8 kilometers

cheers

I kinda agree with this, i can do 5 miles cross country in about 33-34 minutes and my mile and a half time is about 8:30-9 minutes. Then again 1.5 is an all out blast, not really maintainable unless youre a freak or Kenyan.

7 miles so far, target 15.
Building up to 20 miles a week before winter.
>Slow was your last run?
Slow but felt great, 4 miles this afternoon.
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
no but going to buy some winter gear soon. minnesotan so it has to be legit stuff. Previously ive just slacked through winters but I want to hit it hard this winter so I'm in midseason form in spring.

What injuries are you nursing?
Some chafing.

see

Im aware that 5 miles is 8k, im pretty sure the other guy mistook 5 miles for 5k.

Still have 3 days before the end of the week.

My time right now is 33:26, I just want one more minute off.

> My 5 mile below 32:30
Mate you have a fucking great 5 mile time

That's my goal, I'm a full minute slower than that right now.

It peeves me because im on par with you in terms of 5 mile time but you would thrash me in a 1.5 miler by at least a minute. How did you get so fast at it?

I just ran a lot man, that's all there is to it.

What distances? Did you just practice 1.5 loads?

1.5 miles 4ish times a week plus 2 8km a week and strength training twice or three times

Fair one, good on you lad. US military? Fellow bong?

idk man, i have given up. Wives tales, man. People think dust is mostly skin cells and not dirt/pollen. They hear something, and not doing something that is difficult is only going to reaffirm that belief.

Canadian Army, so close

Long term physiological changes are hard. A morton's neuroma halted my performance in the early Spring, and I also train for triathlons so I cannot keep up with dedicated runners.

I'll get gud one day. I should be happy with this long run last Saturday, but I would get smoked at a regional race by any other serious runner.

I also put tape on my nips or else I bleed

I do that. I have to shave my chest else the tape doesn't stick!

do that or swim mate, do you live in the UK?

Advice for good TRAIL running shoes? I've been runing for 6 months in town and got bored (3 HM 1 M ) i wana switch to trial/ultra/vertical

looking at solomons, but dont want to get memed by advertising

pic related

/adv please

its all about form, running smart (etc. not overdoing it) JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE! I've heard that swimming was supposed to be good for joints and so on, but I could still get injuries for doing it wrong.

Only a 5k earlier in the week.
Getting my 5k time under 24 minutes. I'm just starting.
>How was your last run?
Pretty good considering the air pollution. I made my girlfriend follow me on her bike.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
See previous question lol
>What injuries are you nursing?
Nothing running related but the air pollution here is fucking nasty and I suspect I have something wrong with my kidneys.

Sure as hell not going out in rain like we have this evening. Mileage up to 19, no long run yet. Tomorrow arvo for that then.

>Thin
>breathable

Tips on cold weather gear for running? This time last year I was doing fuck all. Now? Every damn day. Apart from gloves and hats, what winter run gear?

Age/Gender?

Should I buy these? I like Kalenji, seem like good budget shoes for a heavy dude.

decathlon.co.uk/ekiprime-mens-shoes-id_8379987.html

Will running 5k after weights session kills my gains?

I wake up at 6 to go the gym and my workplace is 5km away, running to work would save me public transport costs, streamline my morning routine (as I can shower at work) as well as fill the cardio slot for the day, but I am scared about cardio blunting my gym gains.

Please respond

no just eat more

Not if you get enough calories in, but eat in between lifting and running.

Are there any good HIIT apps? I'm close to finishing my 10K trainer.

Will a BCAA/protein shake do? After gym I don't have much time to eat if I want to get to work on time and I also don't want to eat too much lest I get a stitch.

Make you throw up in all likelyhood

Do you guys eat after running? I've always gotten mixed answers from people.
My fat-ass is 290ish (last I checked I'm probably lower now) and pushing a little over 2 miles a day .
Also what running shoes do you guys wear? I know theres the OP, but I want to know what anons pick.

Yeah, almost always but I'm healthy weight. As far as shoes I got some newbalance, I'm not convinced they matter though

NB is what I got as a gift , and it's what I used when I first lost weight. Though it was more going in blind and seeing a sign that says "Running shoes" in the store and going off of that.

Short answer: no
Longer and more intricate answer: maybe. In a minimum amount, yes, it will degrade some of your muscle if there is no sugars left in your body for your muscles to use while you are running. Generally speaking, running is a good warm up and a good fat burner after training, but with some fat burnt some protein will go too. It depends on how long are you planning to run of course. Just as running a marathon is not the same as running 5k, running slow is not the same as sprinting. I would say, given your description, you could benefit more in lung capacity, coordination, brain-muscle connection, fatigue tolerance and fat burn more than you could lose in muscle.
A very important thing you will have to keep in mind is taking a surplus of carbohydrates, only between lifting and running as >431133110 said, only if you have more than 30 minutes in between, if it is less than this amount of time, you won't absorve the sugars, and you won't have energy anyways. I would recommend eating a good amount of surplus of carbohydrates 5 hours before doing exercise. It is just my point of view and you will have to find what works best for you. Hope this encouraged you to at least try.

Thanks for this piece of advice, I'm going to try it. Always sucked/hated running but I need to get my self in shape.

I cycle to work and back. 34km per day 4/5 days a week.
Any breakfast suggestions, For 3x 800m run plus a 17km cycle?

Try and have a fairly light breakfast before the run, i.e some fruit and some toast or some cereal, and then after your cycle maybe have some of those instant oats? Otherwise youre gunna be starving until lunch.

>strava
i currently use nike + run club should i switch? if so why?

I only use Nike run club for timing, it gets the distances all fucked up on my runs which is really annoying. I dont use strava though, just gunna buy a garmin forerunner at some point.

any good books on running?

you should go to a local running store and get fitted or go with a trail running model in a brand that you find to be comfortable (New Balance, Asics, Adidas, etc.)

I personally go with La Sportiva (pic related), they fit my feet very well and I like the option of European sizing

If you want to reach your genetic potential in running peridisation is the only way. No need thank me

Can you explain please?

It's like weightlifting. Progression is key. If you constantly run like 3 miles everyday you are just going to stay the same.

>tfw ran 113 miles last month and 28 this month already
>tfw bmi still over 25

I'm going to be fat forever guys. Guess you can't outrun a piss poor diet :(

make time.

What are you running from anons?

My fat and shame.

The lacross ball is your friend. Sit on it, from what you describe, it sounds like high hamstring.

Also do glute med, just below top edge of hips, back to side. This helps keep hips stable, so that the rest of the muscles can operate properly

Also, you need to train seriously as a runner before it starts to change your body shape. With the low volume, you wont be able to measure its effect