I'm on a list to get a corrections officer job. What type of physical preparation should I do?

I'm on a list to get a corrections officer job. What type of physical preparation should I do?

Maybe take a BJJ class?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/34tv3umYUUA?t=1461
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bjj is good, i do it myself, but for you i would recommend Judo as it is generally more physical.

they have those for adults?

now a days BJJ schools abound

Stuff involving crowd control id guess. Maybe choke holds and submissions too

I think they will provide some of that training. I'm just thinking of what I could do on my own to harden myself

Most COs i know are fatties, so you're probably good to go

i heard co's becomes co's just to exert power over inmates and try to blackmail prisoners into giving them blowjobs lol

You'll probably have to go to an academy for 3 weeks or so where they "condition" you etc. Just don't be ridiculously bad at cardio and you'll pass.

Who'd you get that from, all your friends and family in prison or your own CO?

friends who've been to prison

Maybe I'm not being clear. I don't want to just pass any program or anything like that. I'm talking about shifting my training and mindset to be more focused on being a "hard" target.

I know prisoners train and practice all the time as a prep to fight other prisoners and guards and for mental well being. What could guards do on their side?

for instance 24:14 of this vid
youtu.be/34tv3umYUUA?t=1461

Naa, you'll learn how to give a good BJ soon enough.

I would say muay thai

Train as you normally do along with some type of Martial art.

In terms of not being a hard target that has far more to do with how you interact with inmates and learning how they interact with each other. Even if you do well with them there's a chance someone could still want to fuck you up. Overall you're just going to have to learn through experience.

This user is right. You need to learn how to interact with the inmates in a way that is authoritative yet respectful. Don't rob them of their humanity by treating them like animals or Zimbardo'ing them or you'll have a hard time fitting in there.

At the same time, the people you'll be working with aren't there for being mild mannered and rational thinkers, so you'll always have to be on guard.

yeah, smartass, they have judo for adults. call me when bjj makes it to the olympics

Corrections Officer here for Illinois.

They have dumbed down the physical requirements a lot, at least for my state. The running was minimal and your "agility test" is a joke.

That being said, you should get some mass on you. I'm 5'6" @ 205 lbs and I've had to throw down with a few inmates. It is better to be strong and be prepared for the worst than chill and get fat.

Read the sticky and git gud.

Judo or muay thai. My friends in corrections are either wrestlers, judoka, or muay thai

it seems like a legit scary job at a high sec prison. those fuckers have nothing to do but make weapons, train, and watch for weaknesses and patterns. you gotta be on top of all that, then go home and live your life.

low sec places are probably a lot better

i had a friend that was in SORT in a PA State high sec place. the dude was like a 6'6 monster and was a ranger, but he motivated himself to workout because he knew a guy that he might have to fight probably works out.

man, his cell extraction stories were usually gold. i can't imagine those are too bad, they obviously use overwhelming force, armor, and riot shields. it's the ambushes that get the COs

Completely credible sources.

Former CO here.
Assume every inmate is playing you/trying to distract you.
Become as strong as possible.
Yes, take some BJJ.
Be firm, fair, and consistent.
Don't take your work home with you.

Crersfert

Soldiers and police love it.

Not a CO, but I do security at a hospital with a very large psych ward. Id recomend judo if its available for adults, or maybe bjj. Maybe look into where the other CO's train.

Personally I wouldnt recomend muay thai, because you definitely should not be punching and kicking inmates, submissions are a much better option to not get fired / sued

Judo is superior if you're just looking to hold down/disable an opponent
BJJ is better if you think you're gonna get in full-on fights, they usually go to the ground pretty quick

>megamanlet
>205lbs
>not fat

something doesn't add up here

Can you share some stories man? Anything would be of value

Dude your are going to get fucked up in an enclosed space with BJJ in a jail. I don't understand how people cant realize cage fighting with rules is not the same as the real world.

Do Judo instead. You can learn practical throws, take downs and submissions.

Just realize that their world is much smaller and pettier than yours.
Something that doesn't mean shit in the real world could be a major thing inside.
"I stabbed him because he ate some of my ramen without asking."
An inmate may try to stab YOU because he had a bad phone call from his chick.
We had a female CO get stabbed 14 times on the third tier one time.
The inmate planned to stick her and then throw her over the third tier railing.
He didn't throw her over because she was too slippery with blood for him to get a good enough grip to lift her up.
He did it because he wanted to "kill him a white CO" that day.
It's not a good job, man.
If you can get something else, get something else.

Either this or keep working retail. That's kind of a death in itself. Not looking to do it forever, want to move on to probation or juvenile maybe social work down the road.

Go be a teacher.
Make a difference in a kid's life when they are young enough to get it together.
Once they are inmates it's too late.

Either this or keep working retail. That's kind of a death in itself. Not looking to do it forever, want to move on to probation or juvenile maybe social work down the road.

Bills are due now. I don't have time to do that I need this stepping stone.

Are you saying there is no possible way to do it for a few years and not get fucked up?

God damn son thats a deep pull

It'll be good for a career path I.e. if you decide to go Leo or social work. There are usually good positions within corrections if you were to get a degree in addiction or etc for rehabilitation programs. A lot of people say it's too late, and the recidivism -is- abysmal but people can change and the inmates/prisoners have a much deeper respect for workers that are actively helping in positions such as that. Probation officer can be a good next step as well.
Or bounty hunter desu. I know lots of co's that moonlit that way, but they were usually omegamanlet for whatever reason (probably stealth, pretend to be a kid or something)

If you work strictly inmates, it's not going to be terrible. We had one co get tossed up in a riot and wrapped like a burrito in bed sheets (mexican pod too lmao) but he still works that same pod to this day, alpha as fuck.

Prison/felony or better probably will suck some substantial dick in comparison

If youre jacked Johnson, they'll put you up with the murderer/le insanity plea lulz floor and while it was boring as an inmate there(24hr iso), you'll get some good wrestling practice with all those retards.

T. Career criminal since 14 that got fixed

> MFW they're the fucking LEGION of Spain
>MFW I fought with them in Afganistan
> former spanish police officer fag here
> trained MMA for 4 years. Nowadays trainning BJJ

10/10 would train again

Get to intermediate strength levels on the compounds, at the very least.