Changing sets,reps,exercises for PHUL

hey Veeky Forums on 3rd week of PHUL, so far so good but im curious if there are some exercises I should chance/add to get more hypertrophy growth? also quick question should I change my barbell row on day 1 to 4x10? instead of having 4x5 for hypertrophy effects, and would having deadlifts on day 1 be more beneficial?

Add shoulder work on Hypertrophy Upper day. Add some trap work on leg days. The idea of strength day is to progressive overload, you will be able to overload easier on 3x5 vs 4x10. Deadlift after squat is fine. Also maybe add some side raise on day 1.

If i keep my bench 4x5 and just switch my barbell row to 4x10 because I want hypertrophy only even on power days would that benefit me for more muscle growth?

also what exercises do you recommend for trap work on leg day? like maybe a set of shrugs? I dont really know any other iso exercises for traps

Do a real periodized program

This is really slow

I dont care about strength I want hypertrophy if thats what you're asking

bump

If you have the time, I far and above preferred ULxPPLx over PHUL. I always wanted to do more volume on the upper hypertrophy day than I had energy for. Wish I still had time for it (run push/pull now).

I can post my autistic routine if you're curious. But it's based off of the PHUL ideas of heavy 3x5 compounds early in the week and 4x8 volume work at the end.

go for it user are you posting 5 day routine?

Yeah it's 5 days a week, ULxPPLx. If I had time on weekends I would still be running this. Volume may be higher than you're used to but you adjust pretty fast.

ULxPPLx

UPPER POWER
Barbell Bench Press 3x5
DB Overhead Press 3x8
DB Incline Bench 3x8
Barbell Row 3x5
Wide Grip Pullup 3xF
Barbell Shrug 3x8
EZ Bar Curl 3x8
Skull Crushers 3x8

LOWER POWER

Squats 3x5
Stiff Legged Deadlift 3x5
Lunges 3x5 each leg
Hamstring Curl 4x8
Quad Extension 4x8
Calf Raisers 4x8

PUSH
DB Bench Press 4x8
Incline DB Bench Press 4x8
Cable Crossover 3x10
DB Pullover 3x10
Overhead Press 4x8
Upright DB Row 4x8
Front Raise 2x10
Lateral Raise 2x10
Tricep Cable Pushdown 3x10

PULL
Wide Grip Pullups 3xF
T-Bar Row 4x8
Lat Pulldown 4x8
Shrugs 4x8
Face Pull 3x10
Hammer Curl 3x10
Concentration Curl 3x10
Reverse Grip Curls 3x10
Forearm Curls 3x10

LEGS
Squats 4x12
SLDL 4x12
Quad Extension 4x12
Hamstring Curl 4x12
Seated Calf Raise 4x12
Standing Calf Raise 4x12

idk if im not really that concerned about strength could I just run this program PPL or would I be missing hypertrophy from the power days? also what do you think is better for hypertrophy PPL? or PHUL. Also routine looks good

In my opinion every lifter should be concerned with strength, even if they don't ever want to compete or anything. Increasing your 3x5 Bench will let you do loads more weight for a 4x8, meaning more hypertrophy. Same thing applies for all muscle groups.

Lifting 6 days a week with high intensity is difficult and you'll burn out in 5-6 weeks and have to deload. 4 or 5 days a week is best for hypertrophy.

So should I do you're routine or PHUL? in your honest opinion if im aiming for hypertrophy and overall aesthetic wise and equal muscle distribution meaning one muscle wont get more than the other so I dont end up lookin like a faggot

holy fuck user, that splits exactly what i was looking for, cheers

Try the ULxPPLx for a couple weeks and see how your body responds. You'll get a bit more upper body work than lower body, but that seems like what you're looking for anyways.

Remember to go relatively heavy on each day, don't bitch out on weight just because there are a few more reps. 4x12 heavy squats vs loading up 135 and going through the motions are 2 different things. 4x8 and 4x12 compounds were the most tiring sets every week.

70-80% of 1rm fine for compound lifts with 8-12 reps?

Also How should I be progressing with this routine? 5lb every week on compound with low reps but what about high rep compounds how should I progress on those?

Glad to help, both of you realize too that it's just a format, pretty easy to substitute similar lifts depending on preference.

80% would be pushing it, just go in and try. I don't really do percentages of 1rm. Whenever form breaks from exhaustion, record it and do 5 lbs better the next week.

Depends on the nature of the lift, sometimes I'll wait until it gets easier at 4x8 (db curls for example), sometimes I'll go to 4x6 to progress the weight (incline bench).

This is awful

You dont need 4 variations of curls

YOU'RE ON YOUR THIRD WEEK YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE SHIT JUST DO THE FUCKING PROGRAM

why not?

im asking what to change for maximum results because this program looks like its inbalanced in some muscle groups.

Yeah you're right, I didn't notice that there. Biceps and forearms are by far my biggest weakness and I had that as a personal change. In reality taking out 2 of those exercises would be better.