/fitlit/

What have you been reading lately, user?

I'm finally almost done with The Gulag Archipelago. Jesus it's been hell reading this, I'm going to take a breather and read a fiction comedy after this or something.

Does it go into great detail about all the fucked up shit?

Daniel Dennett's evolution of mind.

I'm actually re-reading it because the first time through it made no sense and some of the ideas he proposed were actually unthinkable - I couldn't think about them, not I was scandalized by them - the first time around

read Kolyma Tales if you want to know more about siberian gulags

I've been reading the tag on your mums panties

A friend reccomended to read Desert by Le Clezio. Can't say I like it too much so far, but I'm a pleb who needs things to happen in my book.

Finished "The Last Man" and "Walden" last week, good books
Almost finishing "Made in America" now, will prob move to either Mote in gods eye or The Bhagavad-Gita, depending on what i feel like reading. Maybe Reflections on the french revolution by Burke

Excruciating detail of the entire history of the whole system of punishment in Soviet Russia. It's like 2100 pages.

That and Ivan Denisovich are on my to-read list, but not for a bloody while. Reading this has had a real impact on my psychological state.

Reading does not improve the mind

the warrior diet

I just started with Beowulf and Other Old English Poems

>tfw ADHD and can't pay attention to a book after about 3 pages

Reading in of itself doesn't strain your mind much. Problem solving does. Math is a good way to keep the mind sharp.

>acquiring knowledge does not improve the mind

my peanuts have been activated

Veeky Forums posts, greentext stories, fanfiction, and erotic fiction

Just finished the Hyperion Cantos. I enjoyed it very much.

Started Infinite Jest, earlier read Anna Karenina and Gravity's Rainbow. The Pynchon book might be my all time favorite.

Writing to crystalize your thoughts about something interesting you've read greatly improves the mind. I do plenty of math and problem solving at my day job.

I guess OP's pic is right in a sense, but there's varying degrees of quality of both reading and exercise. Reading non-fiction / self-help is like barbell strength training, while reading fiction is like doing a couple pushups.

Picked it up at the Library on a whim while I wait for books to arrive. Anytime I find a book I want to read they don't have it so now I just pick random stuff to read while waiting on the mail.

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In

Bretty short and bretty good so far

Aquiring knowledge is potentially useful but it doesn't improve your cognitive capacity in the same way exercise does to your physical capacity. What's more, when most people think of reading, they think of genre fiction, and when this board does, for some reason it's always ancient, dreary tomes. What useful knowledge is gleaned from this? Vocabulary, I suppose, but little else.

Just started to get into /fitlit/
Trying to read at least 30 minutes a day
Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov.

Currently reading Blood Meridian. I like it but I can already tell I'm gonna have to read it again another time to grasp more of it. Sometimes nothing goes in and sometimes everything does.
I have some Tolstoy and Dosto on hold, I'm really bad at finishing books.

hyperion cantos. on the second book and super digging it so far.

mah nigga i just posted that about 3 seconds ago

My man. Where abouts are you? How are you enjoying it?

Currently just read through the onslaught that was The Grand Inquisitor.

Had to put it down and write out my thoughts on it. Try and parse his worldview/where it might lead him as a character. How Alyosha might react to it.

While it is very compelling from a character analysis/philosophical point of view - it seems most of the story so far has been petty interpersonal drama with golden nuggets hidden within.

Hoping it ups the stakes in the near future.

The count of Monte Cristo

this is some really good stuff.

game of cucks

>t.brainlets

Reading is one of the only ways to directly train your ability to think critically, creatively sympathisize, and use your imagination, so long as you aren't just scanning the words. If you need help recognizing this, start with "How to read like a professor" or How to do things with fiction."

The Passing by Josh Cronin. Post Apocalyptic fiction but with vampires. Pretty good really kicks in as the plots move on.

I meant *The Passage

>tfw no traditional japanese gf

its ok, babby tier philosophy tho

good introduction for brainlets

I've been reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra for a few years. I read certain chapters over and over again. With each passthrough, I get something more out of it. What was once a cryptic mess that offered little understanding, is now something like a beautiful poetry with new hidden messages I can find, if only I internalize the message and think hard about it.

Eh, I'm coming into it after having read a good deal of more advanced philosophy and I think his approach is refreshing and probably more interesting coming from my position vs coming into it as a brainlet.

This user is right. You have to read GOOD shit. People read shit like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, romantic erotica, etc and pretend like it's expanding their fucking mind. Yeah, if you are a child maybe. You have to read shit that actually challenges you. Reading it should make you a better person, not just entertain you. To an extent even low tier shit does that but it's just like weight lifting: if you want to get big you gotta push yourself. You'll never get a 3pl8 bench doing 1000 reps of 1pl8. Gotta exercise your mind.

Currently reading Moby-Dick

I read Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest two summers ago. Fantastic works.

That's how I read it too. Read it into my 4th year of my philosophy degree. I didn't get much out of it but I found it entertaining.

One of the great pieces of literature. A must read.

Currently reading Transhumanist Wager by Zoltan Istvan. Just finished reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (I've officially read every book of his now and BM is by far the best)

The Prince by Machiavelli

Almost done reading Stoner which I have loved, heard they're making a movie of it now