Fasting user. Are you around?

Fasting user. Are you around?

about three months ago you had posted in response to someone asking about diabetes. I started asking you questions about my own diabetes and you helped me decide to do fasting.

Dude. Thank you. I'm not diabetic any more.

my a1c started out at around 12 when I was diagnosed and i've fought for three years following the ADA diet as a religion to bring it down to 9. I was on 80 units of insulin and 1g metformin. I was also on blood pressure meds and the doctor was threatening to put me on cholesterol meds.

I'm off everything. I just got back from a follow-up visit at the doctors. My a1c is 5.6 now. I even stopped measuring my blood sugar a month ago because it was never high.

My blood pressure dropped like a rock on the second week of that first fast and it never really went back up when I was eating following your perimeter-only guidelines.

I'm waiting on my cholesterol numbers but my test last month showed that I was on the verge of normal after being high.

I'm actually kind of pissed off at my doctor now.

>fatty diabeetus loses weight like all the doctors tell him to
>less fatty doesnt have diabeetus anymore
Whoa...so this is the power...of common sense

I was diagnosed with diabetes at 180lbs. I've never been over 190 in my life.

Fasting user here. Good job man. Glad I could help.

What kind of fasting schedule did you end up keeping?

I did that two week fast to start as you suggested and then I went to 16:8 on that perimeter diet after that. I threw in a fasting day whenever I thought about it or had a busy day at work, probably one every 10 days or so.

The only modification to your diet suggestions was that I went very low carb,so I avoided a lot of the produce section. Ever since my morning blood sugar levels have been normal-ish I did away with the conscious restriction on carbs. I'm still not eating bread though. and my pasta consumption is way down.

Fasted on about 1000 or less calories a day for a week and dropped around ten lbs of bloat, mostly water weight. I never realized how much I ate until I tried it. The urge to stuff my face all the time has fallen drastically. It takes a fucking ton of will power but I think the results are so good I'm gonna try it again.

Thats some damn good improvements in your numbers based on so little fasting. Were you doing any calorie restriction? Any changes to your exercise routine before, during or after?

>1000 calories
Don't. Go for the water only fasting.

You're really limiting a great bunch of metabolic bennefits by eating at all.

Essentially Im of the opionion that you should water fast for one day out of instead of even a paltry 500 calorie per day restriction.

Well that two week fast really did a number on my appetite. Like it completely decimated it. I went from constant food cravings to nothing. So when I started eating again it was kind of hard to even meet my TDEE.

As to exercise I actually found it easier to motivate myself to go to the gym and I had a shitload more energy than I normally do. towards the second week of the fast I was annoying my coworkers with all my fidgeting and decided to start riding my bike to work.

Once I started getting back into the groove of eating I was eating at about 250-500 surplus and lifting harder than ever. I didn't gain much fat but I did make some pretty good improvements on my lifts over the last two months.

anyone in /fast/ that is actually already fit?

OP here. I was never a hamplanet. I've always been active in sports and cycled frequently to and from work. I was good for about two or three days a week in the gym.

Almost everyone in my family has diabetes. I've been telling them about the improvements I've had and none of them believe me. I'm trying to convince my brother to do this fasting thing and he's slowly starting to listen.

>fidgeting
Lol, that was your leptin finally starting to hit that vagus nerve.

Im happy you've seen such improvments. I take it you read the stuff I told you to? Did you have any questions for me, or is this just a "I did it!" thread?

Im curious as to why diabetes is so prevalent. Whats the family history for diagnosis? Diet? Race?

i ask bc i do keto IF and i feel like every fasting and keto community is full of fatasses

meanwhile i'm just a 5'10 160lb skinnyfat kid doing whack shit for the life extension and mental clarity

>Did you have any questions for me, or is this just a "I did it!" thread?
No questions. You answered all the questions I had previously. I just wanted to post and hopefully let you know you changed my life. That and to thank you for no longer needing three pills and two injections every day.

I have some native american blood on both sides of the senpai. Mom and dad are both type 2, i know of three aunts and two uncles who are for sure. 6 cousins who are all diabetic. And my brother and sister.

My grandparents on mom's side were diagnosed as diabetics way early in life, I don't know about dad's parents, they died when he was 14.

Our diets growing up looking back was all low-fat ADA bullshit. "eat moar grains, eat less saturated fat, here margarine is better for you"

Fasting user here.

I think its a function of the statistics.

Its like if you look at that study that shows "zero calorie drinkers more likely to be fat".

Fatasses are going to be active in the diet community of their choice actively getting feedback and help to lose weight. But once they've lost the weight their involvement with the community diminishes and transition to other communities or none at all.

I've been a fasting proponent for about 15 years. Once people have lost the weight they'll just walk away from it. The people Ive helped and have stayed in contact with tend to still fast occasionally and only in response or pre-emptive to periods of excess to control weight.

It goes from this new exciting thing they tell everyone about to just another tool in their belt they can use.

fat as fatass here, I've tried fasting with keto before but it's just so god damn boring I can't maintain it for long periods of time, i lost about 15kg but I went back to eating trash food again and gained like 5 back. How do I go around water fasting ? I need some vitamins and minerals to go with it so it's healthy ?

This made me smile

The way Fasting user was explaining it to me, and the way I've seen it presented is that you really shouldn't be doing long-ass fasts. The user who convinced me to fast told me he only lets people do 2 week fasts at the max because refeeding syndrome doesn't come into play.

He told me to do two week fasts seperated by two week refeeding windows where I can eat whatever I want to eat and however much I want as long as it comes from the perimeter of the store except bread. Thats things like the produce department, meat, and dairy. He also said the only thing you're allowed to get from the aisles is spices and herbs, olive and coconut oil, and frozen veggies. And the only other restriction on eating during feeding was to eat within an 8 hour window during the day while consuming no calories outside of the 8 hour window.

Spot on my man. You're going to make it.

The only thing I would ammend is that the 2week-2week cycle should only be used if you're obese. Once your waist line starts to come under control you should get away from the repeated two week fasts and instead rely on 16:8 with maybe 1 day a week of fasting so you can really start in with heavy weight training.

If you follow the perimter rule you wont get bored. Skip the keto.

My suggestion is always to do a two week fast to kick start it.

Two weeks of water fasting is completely doable without any supplementation. However if you work in extreme conditions where you sweat or are constantly moving you may find yourself getting lethargic or even lightheaded from isotonic imbalances. So taking some lite-salt in water may help offset that.

Once you hit the two week mark you'll notice a significant reduction in junk food cravings and urges to graze. Re-feed the with a salad with a light vinagette, and go into your diet unrestricted after that.

Fasting beyond two weeks significantly increases the risks of refeeding syndrome and grrater care will be needed with refeeding.

I guess I do have a question for you Fasting user.
Do you fast?

Yes. I do 16:8 or close that. And I dont eat on Sundays. The rest of the week I aim for TDEE+500.

Thanks, that's an approach I haven't seen before I'll try it out. I'm not working in extreme conditions, however I'm a 24/7 shift worker and sleeping is often an issue, regardless thanks for the advice.

yeah i understand the implications of selection bias

i'm just wondering how many people have made it and are fit and have decided that fasting is still right for them, that IF works for advanced maintaining and bulking

>15 years

stats? pics?

I skip breakfasts with the perspective of starting a proper 16:8 fast. The problem is the loud noises my stomach makes closer to the lanchtime. It's pretty awkward as I have an office job and people around. What should I do to stop my stomach from being noisy?

I'm doing a 24hour fast, eating of course once a day.

What are the benefits again? I've unironically shilled for fasting months ago when it was viewed as a meme diet, but now since it's acceptable here, I forget..what are the benefits again?

Drink water

If you're not a fatass and you don't display any symptoms related to metabolic syndrome then the only really remaining benefit is insulin control, appetite suppression, and increased metabolic pressure on mitochondria to utilize fat for energy instead of glucose

insulin controls your weight pretty powerfully. There is a strong statistical link between your 24 hour insulin load and your total body weight. You get the appetite suppression through reduced insulin which acts as a down-regulator for leptin's response in the brain. Leptin interrupts the hunger signaling and upregulates the vagus nerve

And since you're not constantly shoving carbs into your cells you give them a chance to work on ketones.

The biggest benefits for fasting are for fat fucks who have some degree or another of metabolic syndrome. It's my opinion that a lot of the modern complications that are on the rise are related to insulin resistance. Blood pressure, coronary disease, diabetes, and declining vision.

I'm also convinced with my experience that depression and mental faculties are strongly impacted by carbohydrate load through some function. Every single fat fuck I've helped lose weight through fasting has told me that their mood is dramatically improved. Out of the 25 I've helped, 12 were on anti-depressants and 11 have taken themselves off their meds, most before they even lost a significant portion of their weight.

You're welcome brother. Fasting is a very effective form of healing as the body finally has time to tend to itself. Unfortunately our society praises overeating and eating a huge fatty delicious breakfast with mcdonalds mcmuffins and oj. I am glad you are on the path to healing.

Fasting is just one of many tools you can use to procure a better life, there are more habits that you can soon adapt like eating highly nutritious food, getting amazing deep sleep, and cutting out bad habits like cigerrate smoking etc. I am glad I have helped, and hope you stay well on your journey through wellness and happiness. :)

How do I get into this what resources should I use ? I've had issues with my diet for forever and my doc thinks I have an eating disorder and doesn't take me seriously.
I go through cycles, for two weeks at a time; I'll have no appetite, eat about one meal a day. Then I'll be ravenous and snacking constantly.
I feel exhausted after I eat anything.
I was on keto for a year and cutting out the carbs helped with the fatigue, but it's creeping back. I eat low carb now.
I feel my best when I'm eating one meal a day, I have more energy, mental clarity. I usually eat at night cause it puts me to sleep. Otherwise I could be up for hours.
I'm 5'7", female, 130lbs skinnyfat.

you're not the one I was fucking talking to.

nice one OP. i watched a juicing documentary out of curiosity once and the folks just drank ginger and cabbage juice for a month and they got the same results as you, type 2 cured and type 1 down to such a level that only needed monitoring, not really needed insulin.

i hope you maintain the change.

How does a 2 week fast work? Do you literally not eat anything for 2 weeks? Or do you mean you did IF for 2 weeks?

I did a 2-week water only fast. Just water. I don't think I would have liked to do it any longer than that. I don't have much fat to spare regardless and this leaned me right out. I dropped 17lbs on the scale and put back on 7 when I started eating again. I probably shouldn't have been cycling to and from work during this, but oh well.

After the water only fast I went on an IF 16:8 schedule with a water-only day thrown in whenever I felt like I needed it.

The way Fasting user presented it to me for diabetes was that a two week fast to start out with gives your body a chance to burn through all its glycogen stores, lower blood sugar, and get the body primed for ketosis and start clearing out fat from the liver.

According to Jason Fung in his obesity code book and Collin Campbell in his China study book, it's an unholy combination of the modern day diet that consists of grazing non-stop for every waking second of everyday instead of actual meals, highly processed sugary foods from sodas to bread, lack of unprocessed high fiber content foods, and the incredibly dumb idea that you "eat more (of x)" instead of "eat less" to lose weight.

Also stress. Also genes play like a 5% role.

I've been trying 5:2 but I have a couple questions. Am I supposed to be eating my goal weight TDEE on non-fasting days or my current weight TDEE? Am I only supposed to be doing this diet for a short amount of time?

about to enter 14 days this Monday, i though i saw and heard that re feeding syndrome was only a major risk in very malnourished people, i am taking my electrolytes (salt magnesium and potassium) and apparently if you have a diet high in protein rich foods like meats and nuts your phosphorus levels can last for a LONG time before you become malnourished in it (i think around 100 days).

I'm on the mindset of doing 28 days if not 30. And i'm still gonna take it very very slow when i re feed, but i'm not too worried about re feeding syndrome

I'm a 5'8" manlet dyel (145 lbs). I look good to normies. Lifts are as follows:

Bench: 190 x 4
OHP: 135 x 6
Squat: 290 x 5 (attempting 295 today)
DL: 315 x 6 (home gym running out of pl8s)

i follow 16:8 most days, with 23:1 between sunday and monday. I've been on IF for over a year and added the single 23:1 around April

>180lbs at 12 years old
You were a tubby chubby

I wasn't 180 lbs at 12 years old.

I said my A1C reading started at 12 when I was diagnosed.

Jesus fucking christ Veeky Forums is full of retards and mental midgets..

Everyone says the first three days are the hardest and I was doing fine on the first two days, but on the third day I was in actual pain. It wasn’t hunger it really hurt. I ended up having some food and almost passed out. Any anons know what went wrong?

Guy interested in fasting here. What stuff did you tell him to read?