/plg/ - powerlifting general

>Useful links
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tZIonSOwhM3iM0gTYVXuUAw/htmlview

>some random song I like
youtu.be/it8bSb-THFI

Other urls found in this thread:

allthingsgym.com/russian-squat-routine-bench-press-deadlift-generator-spreadsheet/
instagram.com/p/BZ17jg5jzAC/?taken-by=danstewartpk
outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alternate op image for another thread

>suit, roids, sumo
>raw, natty, conventional

Sounds about right

>still doing powerlardlifting instead of Olympic lifting
What's your fucking excuse faggot?????

trip on panzer

He can't. He's serving a 30 day ban.

Why is bench such a miserable lift? It never feels good

>another friday night alone on plg

go away

allthingsgym.com/russian-squat-routine-bench-press-deadlift-generator-spreadsheet/
Is this a good program /plg/
Also is 1000lbs a good total or another 1/2/3/4 meme

i love anime i wish i lived in anime land

another meme

my total is 1150 and I'm still weak as

Everyone on PLG says 5/3/1 is piss, but I've been putting at least 15lbs on my total per week for over a month now, after already training for about 1 and a half months.

what version do you do?

>training for about 1 and a half months.
Amazing experience.

It's piss as a powerlifting routine. If you're just trying to get a bit stronger or combine it with some sort of athletic pursuit, it works fine.

What % difference there is between squat with belt and beltless squat weight usually ?

I added FSL and my own version of BBB on to the base microcycle, and replaced my deadlift BBB work with heavy biking for conditioning and squat gains.

My BBB work was OHP for bench, bench for OHP, and stiff legged deadlifts for squat. For upper body days I added ab work, and lower body days I added oblique work. All pushing sets were performed right after pulling (rowing my bench weight, pull ups before OHP)

I also periodized my BBB work. So after the top set and fsl I would do:

Week 1: 4 sets of 8@70%
Week 2: 4x6@80%
Week 3: 4x4@90%

My split was ULxUxLx

I've been into weight training for 4 years, I was never so consistent thay I made proper gains, I would even struggle to put 5lbs on my squat each week for the first three weeks of training. I finally just got my diet, sleep, and training in line and would like some advice on where to go from here.

Idk, most of the difference is probably placebo.
The real difference is about 2-5kg.

Ya, I'm just doing it for shotput

Repost desu

How much Georgie?

How are snatch grip deadlifts as an accessory? Do they have good carry over to other lifts?

Please don't bully me.

wtf i hate deadlifting now
that guy doesn't even look that big

is this what peak performance looks like?

I find they have really good carryover to the deadlift, especially if your weakness is upper back strength.

I put on 2kg the first week of Sheiko. Am I eating too much?

Does /plg/ bulk appropriately at the maximum 0.5lbs/week or have you all emulated your sport without the genetics or drugs to back it up and just said fuck it and gotten fat every time you want to put on mass

285kg

237.5kg Vs 220kg for me, though I could probably get a bit more beltless if I pushed it.

What's a good accessory if the hard part during the deadlift happens during the middle of the lift? Or maybe I should say what areas need to be focused on?

You may need to be more specific about where the sticking point is.

If you struggle to keep your upper back locked in they'll punish you. I like them a lot.

Assess the lift and see where the bar begins to slow - not where it's slowest - and do 2 count pause deadlifts, pausing at the point it begins to slow.

Somewhere between my knee and my waist

That does sound like you're getting rounded over and struggling to finish the pull. Snatch-grip deadlifts are typically good for that, as are (somewhat counter-intuitively) anything that forces you to spend a lot of time in the bottom of the lift.

How about when the struggle happens just below the knee?

Pause deadlifts are the typical answer (pause where the bar starts to slow, not where it actually stops when you fail). Others will say block/rack pulls at the same height. Both should work.

Still a good idea to do some more general work though.

>tfw you realise frog is actually a robot made and paid by sheiko to shill his programme

What's worse? Not eating enough before a workout, or eating too much?

Doesn't really matter as long you've had a little carbs and protein in the last couple hours beforehand.

I like being slightly full while lifting just psychologically, makes me feel stronk in the core and like I want to burn off the food.

Depends on the workout. For bench I'd rather be overfull than under, for squat/dead I'd rather be a little bit hungry than bloated.

>trying to deadlift while hungry

im not any stronger, it just feels lighter on my back

Can one gain muscle while decreasing fat (weight remaining the same or slight increasing) on maintenance diet?

>Still a good idea to do some more general work though.

This is a point I forget to emphasise - the assistance lifts like pause deads should be in addition to, rather than replacing, the competition variant. A lot of times some tidying up of the setup and cueing can have a big impact on strength.

If you're a novice, really fat or returning to a level of lbm previously lost after a lay off, then yes. If you're not any of those, then yes but really really slowly.

In any case, it would still be 'quicker' to focus on one goal at a time.

if on steroids its slow
if natural its slow as fuck

deficits or pull to the knee, you need to get stronger and faster to the knee to accelerate through your sticking point

im joining that gym we trained at, for £25 a month, and this is one of the guys ill be training with instagram.com/p/BZ17jg5jzAC/?taken-by=danstewartpk

three wanks, two hours

Impossible is nothing.

That's not a bad price actually.

Also they are awesome for building a juicy upper back.

should be £35, but if a friend brings you then you both train for £25 a month

fuck man can you imagine if you were on test

It doesn't add any real pounds to my lifts, but my form is just better.
Makes it easier to keep my knees out on max effort lifts.

so the only way is to just cut and bulk continuously?

Doesn't bare thinking about. I don't think I'd do anything but wank in between tinder dates.

different ways to go about it, at the moment im eating a surplus on training days and a deficit on rest days

any big deficit for a long period of time is going to be shit for muscle and strength, if i was going to properly do it id probably just lower cals by 100 a week for like 10-15 weeks, and i doubt ill do a silly surplus again unless im going to be training seriously hard with conditioning work 2-3 times a week and a real dose of drugs

>at the moment im eating a surplus on training days and a deficit on rest days
isnt this basically maintenance, when you average over 7 days?

>any big deficit for a long period of time is going to be shit for muscle and strength
is there any pl program to be done while on a cut?

>but my form is just better.
that means that youre stronger with the belt dummy

stats?

im not doing it to recomp im increasing calories for the increased demands of a training day, and less on a rest day when i dont need so much energy, carbs are higher on training days

id argue for keeping weights as heavy as possible, since doing max effort every week ive noticed my strength diminishes a lot slower, even post comp i didnt feel noticeably weaker when i got back to training again, volume just saps you of all energy with a reduced amount of calories and does fuck all to help retain strength

he got from 60kg squat to 67.5kg squat (shock)

why isn't the useful links working for me? can someone paste the Dropbox?

whats your caloric discrepancy between non training days and training days?

Think I'm pushing into very early intermediate here lads, time for weekly progress and you lot seem like the best to offer advice. Are the nuckols 3x beginner a good idea? He recommends them for people coming off generic LPs before the monthly based programs.

Best sets for 5 (kg):
70/110/140/150
Diddly is by far my weakest lift. Want to get big and strong.

i saw a guy at the gym bench 130kg for a single and then he went on to do sumo deadlifts with 160kg for like 4 singles

what would cause someone to be this weak at deadlifts, he did not look like a bro at all

not hitting a specific number, its between 3500-4200 on rest days and 4800-5600 on training days

>3500-4200 on rest days and 4800-5600 on training days
is it true that you need to eat way more when on roids

cause thats a lot of food man i struggle hard to eat sub 4000

not training them...

your BMR increases but its dose dependant, im only on 200mg a week, TRT is 150mg every 10 days

4500-5000 keeps me around 110kg, various things will affect metabolism, everyones is different for a start, how much muscle you carry will change it, activity level, how hard you train, how heavy you train, im sure theres more factors

i used to struggle with 3000, when i made a run at 120kg earlier this year i went from 111-120kg in 4 weeks, i ate 7000-8000cals a day and was still hungry before bed

was that all fat? you gained in 4 weeks?

They work, but if you're not aiming at competing I'd want to find a way to keep OHP in there somehow. If you lose that ROM its a bitch to get back.

i was on on orals for the 4 weeks so probably 70% water

Wew gbro I didn't take for you for a gay bear

im far too small to be a bear

So you wanna be bottom...?

no interest in men sorry

You're not that small m8

I mean, next to roidfreakbeasts like that guy you know you might be but next to natty lifters you're not

You should be sorry you sub slut

When do you foam roll? Before lifting, after lifting or on rest days?

With that bodyhair, Gbro is just a sloppy dreamer bulk away from being a bear lol

not doing stuff sloppy anymore

hmm you think that could explain why clarence weighs like 103kg at 5'10 lean and doesnt even look huge

Is that a reference to bulking or video requests? :^)

Does extra work on SS really make it much more difficult to progress?

outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/
Aside from the meme variations in this, it's just a basic LP with a lot of accessory work.

Am I missing something or is the reason why SS is pretty minimal because it becomes very hard to recover later on?

Most of it is in his legs. People without much in the way of beach muscles can end up looking a lot smaller than they actually are, at least to the average observer.

In the short term, it can make it harder to put weight on the bar. In the longer term it'll typically make it a bit easier.

SS is super minimal because it's originally a football pre-season prep program. When you're dealing with stronger lifters that have other big training commitments, you can't bury them under volume.

I can't do squats due to poor ankle flexibility. Is it ok to do squats sumo style or should I wait till my ankle is more flexible and I can do squats properly?

>outalpha
stopped reading there

If you're doing starting strength it's because you're a beginner who is weak as shit.

The idea of the program is to gain competency in the main barbell movements. If you're a novice your body is going to be growing like crazy after your initial neurological adaptations. Doing some extra curls and fluff work might add single digit percentage growth, but the risk is that it will take away from your strength adaptation because it will be harder to recover from.

If you want to throw everything plus the kitchen sink at your body and see how it recovers, then have fun spinning your wheels.

Save the variation and isolation volume for when you're an intermediate who needs to put mass on their face frame to continue progressing

Get some squat shoes? Sumo squats require significant hip mobility.

training and eating in general

looks pretty jacked to me, i imagine if you met him he would look big

everyone in here has such a defeatist attitude, im friends with quite a few high level lifters who also coach and im always seeing them take novice squatters who look like a baby giraffe running in baby oil, and making their squat look half decent within 1-2 sessions, its not that you cant its that you dont know how

i like matt wennings approach to teaching beginners how to squat, using belt squats, gets everything below the waist where it should be then its just a case of keeping the chest high

Bear in mind the intention of SS. It's meant for young football players (so some sporting background and some training history) to quickly get stronger and gain barbell movement competence. It's meant to be ran for about 8 weeks or so.

It is not intended for skinnyfat neckbeards who've never had both feet off the floor before.

For population A isolations aren't really necessary because they'll be less prone to developing imbalances and they have more lean mass than a Pepperami.

For population B, slowing the barbell progress for the sake of building overall muscularity may be a good idea, because it means not having to take a break later on to work on specific imbalances because the only areas they've grown are their legs.

I seem to have the hip mobility nesessery. So doing them this way would acually be fine? Where can I find sqad shoes size 15? It's usally hard for me to find any shoes and ordering is always a gamble... But there might be no way around that

conjugate is more useful for all round athleticism, i think westside for skinny bastards is specifically for off season athletes, you can do jumps for dynamic work and med ball stuff, jumping is such an underrated tool

True, but I'm answering the question asked, not the one he might need to be asking.

I prefer goblet squats for teaching absolute beginners, mainly out of necessity.

Have you got any videos of your squat?

There's versions for both, I believe.

It's a bit rougher for uncoached athletes than something like SS though. Too many people fuck up the ME work something chronic.

>For population B, slowing the barbell progress for the sake of building overall muscularity may be a good idea
This is powerlifting general, not population B general for people who have spent their whole life in a hospital bed apparently.

Starting strength is not meant for football players, even if it has been used for football players.

There are geriatrics on starting strength.

If you want somebody to become big and strong put a barbell in their hands or on their back oh, and if that doesn't work then they shouldn't be strength training anyways because they are truly a genetic dead-end who doesn't like working hard.