Why was Roman and Greek society more secular and enlightened than the ones of medieval times or of the 20th century...

Why was Roman and Greek society more secular and enlightened than the ones of medieval times or of the 20th century? When did this regression happen? And why it happened?

Attached: 1521283731752.jpg (500x497, 25K)

>Why was Roman and Greek society more secular and enlightened than the ones of medieval times or of the 20th century?
No, they were very superstitious and beholden to rituals.

even today millions of people believe in superstition even though we have an unlimited amount of knowledge at our disposal and thousand of books for free, what's your point?

>what's your point?
That Romans and Greeks weren't secular or "enlightened", whatever that means

>cursed are the Hellens, for they have killed the best of them

>Why was Roman and Greek society more secular and enlightened than the ones of medieval times
It wasn't. Greeks and Romans believed in tons of gods and followed too many religious rituals and holidays to count. Romans and Greeks were also some the earliest Christians. And I'm not sure what you mean by "enlightened".

blame chr*stcucks and barbarians

they werent nearly as zealous though

They were "sacrifice something to the gods for good harvest", "unironically believe you can see the future in pigeon guts"-tier.

they believed in the complex human nature of moralism that the pagan gods helped explore. god for this and a god for that.

Christianity simplified this complexity by saying what is good and what is evil. never anything in between or room for celebrating the underworld.

Attached: Statua_di_Amore_e_Psiche.jpg (960x1280, 135K)

Attached: 1518231887649.png (645x729, 34K)

Attached: 1506657831602.gif (645x773, 9K)

>secular
>enlightened
choose one

They weren't more secular though they gotten a bit too bored with their old gods (which is why they experimented with a bunch of new ones).

as for why it was less enlightened it was pretty much due to population decrease. War, disease, purges, and famine took its toll and they needed to reorganize so they didn't have time for intellectual pursuits for awhile.

>When did this regression happen? And why it happened?

Attached: The Eternal Abrahamic.jpg (399x637, 33K)

The romans were superstitious as fuck dude.
Probably some of THE most superstitious people in history, behind the Etruscans.
So superstitious that, when the have important government business to conduct, they check the clouds or the pigeon guts. "Oh. That's an ill omen. Guess we shouldn't meet today."
This shit was CRIPPLING. It was just the occasional whacko who believed in crystals, or the odd /x/ browser. It was instutionalized superstition on the level of empire. It was nuts.

How common was blatant irreligion in Greco-Roman times?

I hope you realize people just bribed the priests when they wanted a good omen. You have a very poor grasp on how Romans actually were like

This.

I watched 300 too faggot

It isnt based on facts

Oh no no no.

The Greeks were irrational, superstitious, brutal and violent people who ignored the teachings of Aristotle as much as your average highschooler.

Read E.R. Dodds' The Greeks and the Irrational.

>romans
>secular
Even during the time of Caesar and the death of the republic everything had to stop because "muh religion" and "muh bad omens". Are you brain damaged or what?

is everyone in this thread a brainlet? The only answer needed is that the dark ages happened.

Don't destroy penis statue if you don't want to be sentenced to death

Attached: Alcibiades2.jpg (1200x2162, 1.15M)

Protip: Romans only cared about religion when it was convenient to do so, and only to grab the most gullible poor idiots as an extra % to their cause, generals ignored or hid/manipulated auspices in order to keep soldiers confident or faked them for political points.

Dark Age was a meme

>nothing happened after the fall of the Roman Empire
>I-it was just a 'transition'!
>t-the barbarians preserved the Roman ideals!!!
>it doesn't matter that they couldn't even build stone structures and even made laws to prevent marriages with the Romans, it was all fine :)

I don't know that it was a matter of enlightenment as a matter of perspective; cynicism.

It wasn’t more enlightened than that of the 20th century

Oh yes I guess you learned that on pol,so many inventions and great monuments from 500 ad- 900 ad Europe

>muh pol boogyman

You leftists really are an insufferable bunch

When bad shit was happening they got a random dude and make him go around the city and breath in all the bad juju then exile him.
Thats where they phrase scapegoat comes from

please tell me how cities didn't shrink and how a good deal of them wasn't abandoned, tell me how infrastructures like aqueducts, sewers, baths and amphitheaters weren't abandoned, how trade didn't diminish and how literacy didn't decrease. Tell me about all those great monuments and inventions made in Europe in the four hundred years following the collapse of the Western Roman Empire.

Before asking questions try actually reading history. Unless you are baiting

So literally like in every corner of the Earth in every period ever?

Nothing to do with religion tho.

A lot of the great monuments from that period were converted to something else afterwards, but you can visit places like Greece, Spain or Turkey and see impressive buildings from the "dark ages".

>inb4 it don't count cuz it ain't northern europe xd

welp, Northern Europe was always a shithole during and after the Roman empire and up until relative modernity.

Attached: 189803-004-A52EA45E.jpg (550x421, 36K)

No.

Yes, the Dark ages referring to Western Europe, or are you going to list the Maya too?