Why are burgers considered unhealthy if they have every aspect of the healthy eating pyramid?

Why are burgers considered unhealthy if they have every aspect of the healthy eating pyramid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KMYulI_s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you ever been to the US?
So many fat ppl there...

T. Canada

who said they are unhealthy? just high in cals

>taking the food pyramid seriously

i literally can't even

burgers (and pizza etc.) can be everything from perfectly healthy to unhealthy as fuck depending on how they're made and what you put in them. americans in particular tend to make things in the latter category

Because the quality of the nutritions are shit. The carbs are fucking awful, the protein is sometimes good sometimes the meat is extremely processed shit, the fats are shitty. Also a lot of calories which translates to unhealthy to most people since they can't restrain themselves

Depends on the burger. If you want a good burger, make it at home:

Ingredients
>whole wheat bun
>cheddar or other cheese, don't use American
>90% ground beef or higher (1/4 lb per patty)
>toppings, condiments, etc. up to you

So far pretty straightforward right? But we're gonna add one more ingredient:

>1 tbsp mustard PER 1/4 LB

That's a fuckload of mustard. Why? Because if you use ground beef above 85-90% lean beef, it'll fall apart when you shape it into a burger. So we'll use mustard as the glue. It'll taste a bit like mustard but not overwhelmingly. The good news is that you took out a bunch of fat for the low cost of injecting roughly 180 mg sodium into your patty. If you don't have heart problems the only side effect of high sodium is water retention so you're good.

Then heat up a skillet on medium, take your meat/mustard and roll it into 1/4 lb size balls. Once you do that, flatten each one into a patty shape and press the top of each patty to make a small dimple. This is so the patty doesn't contract into itself when you cook it. Then fry each patty for 5+ minutes per side, put them in the burger with your cheese and toppings of choice, and there you go!

Just realized I didn't use whole wheat in those 2. Learn from my mistakes

come on bro
>patties look like loose ground meat
>cheese stone cold
>not based half pounders
what is this?

>mayo/ketchup
>white bread
>high fat meat

I don't melt my cheese on the patty fampai

Current store that my job subsidizes doesn't have buns for half pounders. If I get the meat to stick out that far I might as well just make myself meatloaf.

Fried, processed red meat dripping in oil on a processed bun with sugary condiments. How does that fit in the food pyramid?

Protip: smoosh your ground beef like you're kneading dough, then roll it into a ball. Put it between 2 layers of clingfilm then roll it out into a patty shape with a rolling pin. Holds shape so much better.

What are those balls in the top right corner?

>grinding meat is processing
>adding ingredients together and baking is processing
Fuck off shill, bet you typed that as your eating your processed soy tofu spread

Will try this out, thanks boss
Muffins baked with protein powder instead of flour. They taste like chocolate whey (I wonder why) and they have the consistency of granite, but 2 of those bad boys keeps me full for like 5 hours.

Wasn't worth the effort desu

>thinks mcdonalds meat is just pure angus beef ground up

It is in the UK

it's just ground meat in the us, but i'm not a poverty fag and don't eat there

You ever been to Canada? So many gay people there.

T. Your daddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KMYulI_s
Burgers aren't supposed to be ultra healthy. They aren't the worst things in the world especially if you're bulking but the high calories and fat are always going to make them somewhat prohibitive if you're cutting.

First off that food pyramid is so bad the USDA stopped using it for dietary recommendations and currently use MyPlate (I know) but I believe the Harvard version is superior.

Burgers have the fast food association but you can eat burgers daily with no problem so long as you select good ingredients. Turkey burgers are alright

Myplate and the food pyramid are basically the same recommendations. They changed it because it's easier to understand when looking at a plate.

Most shit that is "unhealthy" actually just had a bad name because fat cunts eat way too much of it, then blame the food rather than their greed.

What's astounding is, we've FUCKING FALLEN for that shit as a society.

Don't want to turn this into a /fph/ thread, but it really winds me up the way fat people have a monopoly on the way food is discussed, sold, marketed, labelled, and so on.

If I want to buy some chicken in Tesco, the front has a big fucking label on telling me how much fat is in it, but if I want to look up protein or carbs, I have to look at the back. Of course, I'm not a lazy fuck so it's not a major problem, but surely we should make fatty do the extra work?

By the same token, McDonalds is considered the devil. Sure, it's got some bad shit in it, but a Big Mac is just beef, bread, lettuce, cheese, and sauce. Yet fat fucks act like there's some magic chemical in there that is making people fat without them realising it, and somehow people go "yeah, that sounds right, let's lay shit at McDonald's door, and ignore the fact you ate 5000 Big Macs last month you fucking pig".

Food can be unhealthy even if you're not fat.

Yes, of course it can, but enjoying a Big Mac occasionally isn't going to harm you.

My rant was about the fact that essentially people don't seem to understand it's calories in/calories out. Simple.

Yes, if you're eating high cholesterol foods that fuck up your cardiovascular health, you can be unhealthy without being fat, but that's still because you ate too much cholesterol-heavy foods.

Grinding ruptures the cells and increases surface area exposure to atmospheric oxygen. That's especially bad with red meat because the myoglobin heme group is an excellent catalyst for the formation of various mutagenic and inflammatory oxidation products.

High temperatures can increase the reaction rate and low moisture/humidity can favor the process both by increasing oxygen availability and reducing water (often one of the products, law of mass action) making baking particularly bad as well.

jesus christ enjoy your life dude sounds pathetic

What are you doing on Veeky Forums? Don't you have some books to burn or some nerds to harass?

>you can't be a Veeky Forumsizen without having to worry about deadly exposure to atmospheric oxygen and baked bread

Wrong proportions and bad quality.
>not anywhere near enough vegetables, there's like 0.1 servings
>not good quality and variety of vegetables
>zero fruits
>too much meat and cheese in proportion to veggies, cheese also probably bad quality
>bad quality bun
The result is a lot of calories and not many micronutrients and almost no antioxidants.

Homemade burgers and pizzas can be pretty good nutritionally, but it's good to eat a salad or a vegetable dish too.

Don't talk about bread motherfucker.

>I emotionally cannot handle being corrected on something I'm too stupid to google
>I will stay ignorant and spread my ignorance
>that makes me a Veeky Forumsizen
Whatever you say, reddit