What does the science say about Side Lateral Raises?

What does the science say about Side Lateral Raises?

Should we be doing light weight for 20-30 reps or heavy weight for 8-12 reps?

Taken into account that one already performs vertical presses in the 5-12 rep range, wouldn’t lowering the weight for Side Lateral Raises to ensure you get 20-30 reps per set make more sense from a rep range/training stimulation perspective?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YFLqFjY3Q5Y
youtu.be/PJ_kayODqG8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

theres no reason why your delts should work differently from any other muscle group from a hypertrophy perspective

in general, total volume is more important than sets:reps - but hypertrophy is gained in-between training for strength (few reps, high load) and endurance (high reps, low load).

for hypertrophy:
medium load > high load > low load. that allows you to tear your muscles apart the most and induce hypertrophy.

anecdotal evidence incoming

my shoulders exploded after i stopped doing The Overhead Meme™

started only doing cable lateral raises
reps to failure, as many sets as you can possibly do

regarding the amount of weight- as long as you can reach failure with perfect form, that is not using any momentum whatsoever, keeping it pure isolation

enjoy walking around with literal pumpkins for shoulders

I Always see people on Veeky Forums making posts like this but no one ever leaves photo evidence to prove anything.

Going from Dyel 0% muscle on delts to have some muscle on delts doesnt make you an expert and chances are you don’t even know what caused that growth.

My own anecdote is that my delts don’t respond at all when Lateral Raises are the only thing I do, I still require a heavy press.

>Should we be doing light weight for 20-30 reps or heavy weight for 8-12 reps?
I have this doubt about the general case. Should I keep lifting a certain amount of weight until I can do 20 reps or increase weight once I can do 10?

Overhead with the right form isn't as isolated for your shoulders ofc. Using cable lat raises is not too hard on them but great isolation, if you do it enough that'd make sense.

The said its always going to be good to continue compounds so that you're overall strength in chest, traps, tris, and core is proportional.

I do 8-12 reps with a certain weight. Once I am able to do 3x12 I increase the weight and try to do 3x8.
Works for me.

You should train in all rep ranges
This is how you perma-stall on your lifts forever

been lifting for like 3 years

you dont have to believe me senpai. but i dont take selfies of myself because im
not a homosexual

i said its anecdotal. thats all, take it or leave it

we will leave it,but thanks anyway memester

That training methodology stops working after the first year or so, or when you’re at a certain level of strength.

Once you get past noob gains strength and size gains you must then incorporate periodisation in order to continue making gains in size and or strength.

>This is how you perma-stall on your lifts forever
explain this please. I am perma stalling and I dont understand what to do

Read

I was talking specifically about lateral raises. You don't need to go super heavy on those as far as I know. I'm doing 3x10 with 30lb dbs now.

please, i don't understand what to do. I will research, what terms must I use?

You mean lift a high load few times then a low load several times in the same workout?

This is the only movement I prefer a machine for, only because I cannot otherwise place a weight on my upper arm to raise, and holding heavy weight further away in my hands increases the unhealthy leverage being applied to my shoulder joint.

Either way, any form of lateral raise should be performed for 3x10.

I'm really interested in finding a better type of lateral raise than a machine or a dumbbell. How can I hold free weight on the upper arm?

no prob.

il hold onto my meme. but also onto my softball shoulders. sounds like a pretty good deal to me

Try cables

Instead of going to the gym and doing

Week 1 = 100x8-12
Week 2 = 100x8-12
Week 3 = 100x8-12
Week 4 = 100x8-12

You do something like

Week 1 = 75x20
Week 2 = 90x15
Week 3 = 105x10
Week 4 = 110x As Many Reps As Possible
Week 5 = Deload.

Repeat over as many times as you want.

(Those numbers are an example don’t take it literally)

oh wait. memester here

i forgot to mention the main difference that i do when doing cable lateral raises.

instead of using a regular single handle, and holding on to it, use one of those thick padded straps, (the ones that girls typically use for leg stuff on cables) and put it over your wrist joint. for whatever reason, for me at least, it transfers way more of the resistance isolated to my side delt. i have no idea why, but it just does

genuinely just trying to give anecdotal advice that might work for you. no use in completely dismissing it without trying it first. if its shit advice, u win - im a memester. if its goid advice, u win - u get a dope shoulder pump

Thank you for taking the time. I think I understand.

Anjulating Periodisation

Even athlenex says cheat lat raises with a fuckton of weight is better for building shoulders than lightweight.
Throw a couple sets in at 30-40 pounds.
I also started doing resistance band shoulder raises for every head and they feel fucking fantastic. Going to do that on one shoulder and dbs on the other for a month and see what happens

Lol this nigga gin get injured call da ambalance

youtu.be/YFLqFjY3Q5Y
He literally says to use less weight

>Throw a couple sets in at 30-40 pounds.

Lol what? I bet not even 0.1% of people who lift could 40 pound Lateral Raises and still be isolating their side delts

Not here
youtu.be/PJ_kayODqG8

He wants you to use light reps for longterm lat raises. But if you want to size queen for a couple weeks, do heavy weight while still attempting good form