/SIG/ - Self Improvement General

Friday Edition

>>Thread Theme

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology
focuslist.co
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Idktbh, I just got outhe of the service and I have little motivation to workout. Been throwing applications out there but nothings bitting.

Can someone prescribe me a decent ppl workout routine to get me outta this funk.

Perhaps a good audio book/ novel to read. Currently reading left of bang

Honestly surprisingly well right now. I started taking this seriously at the start of September, 5'7 110 DYEL but now I'm about 120, feel a lot stronger and a little more confident. I've always been lean and I've played a lot of sports just never at much. My goal weight is 140 lbs and I think I'm still growing in height little, hopefully I get to at least 5'8 or 5'9. I'm 18 but I was a really late bloomer, only hit my growth spurt sophomore year. Anyone else here a late bloomer? How much more could I potentially grow? I grew 1.25 inches this past year.

So I started my new workout routine 2 1/2 weeks ago. Along with a high protein low carb diet.
I'm doing cardio by following the couch to 5k plan which I do 3 times a week. And I'm doing pull ups involving regular pullups, australian pull ups, and standing row. I also do this 3 times a week with Sunday being my day of rest.
I also have a motivational board in my room where I've posted inspirational quotes and images that I can look at and read every day to help keep me motivated. It really helps!

Right now I'm 5'11", at around 170lbs, still need to get a weight scale to keep track of my progress, but I think I'm doing good so far!

>pic related is my favorite quote on my board right now

Nice job man, what was your starting weight and when did you start? I think the quote is quite applicable to me right now. I'm in the peak of my life in terms of strength so I have no reason not to reach my highest potential.

I've held a steady 170lbs for years, skinny fat, but not terribly so. I also discovered that I'm what's called in terms of body shape, a mesomorph. I can burn fat and gain muscle easy with my frame. I've got the tools and great potential, I just finished college last summer so I thought with all my new freetime, I might as well dedicate myself to workout and self improve.
Places like /pol/ were a big motivator to get better and seek self improvement, but now I'm going to stick to this board to get Veeky Forums

Magic mushrooms and no fap

> started working out three weeks ago
> get back home from the gym
> feel my thighs
> holy fuck I think I'm feeling gainz
> nah, it's just because I just came from working out, it'll feel less impressive tomorrow

>> be tomorrow
>> thighs still feel the same
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?
WHAT IS THIS FEELING

Started lifting regularly again a month ago, already feeling much more confident and happy overall. I don't know why, maybe it's the increased T, but I'm suddenly having gay fantasies about my best friend.
Aside from that, I've started making myself put down the phone and read for thirty minutes every evening. I just finished Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and I'm working on the Secret Teachings of All Ages next.
I've also cut out almost all my alcohol intake, stopped smoking, and started controlling my finances. I think I might make it.

Anyone else procrastinate relentlessly and constantly fuck themselves over? No point in being fit if I can't even get myself to study.

Got a bit of a cold on sunday, have been feeling weak till today. Getting back into my routine makes me feel fucking amazing

>rest day

I WANT TO LIFT SO FUCKING BADLY LADS

MY LIFE IS SO EMPTY WITHOUT IT

Reminder: you're not bitch made

present

>tfw finally got job offers
>tfw taking a girl out on a date
>tfw lifts going up
>tfw still not happy with myself and probably will never be
God damn, weaponizing my autism and self-hatred is great

Aside from blogposting, I need help with answering one question: why the hell would any girl pick me? I've been running with "why not" as an answer but I'm wondering if there's a better one

Stop throwing applications blindly, talk to someone
Find someone's email, phone number, anything that gets you talking to a human instead of uploading on a website. Otherwise you're gonna be stuck sending apps forever.

What kind of books, fiction or non-fiction? Any specific topic for non-fiction books?

>all my friends have stopped talking to me outside of when they see me in person and now just hang out without me so they can spend time with the 2 people who hate me unrelentlessly.
can vaguely recap the story if asked but would prefer not to, im not doing to well. thinking of just moving on and becoming closer to a few girls im already friends with.

good job user, keep at it

treat studying like it's your second workout
you don't skip your gym sessions, do you user?

read a book nigga

invite them to shit yourself or confront them my dude can't be passive all the time

How do i stop worrying about a specific problem? Meditating?
Up until a few months ago I had financial problems since growing up with less money than my peers
Basically I'm fine financially wise now but that mindset is still the same and I think 20 times a day about buying stuff that costs 30 dollars and whenever I told myself it's fine to buy it 5 minutes later the thoughts come back and my brain tries to reconsider my decision

i have confronted them, they hardly seem to care. and if we do end up hanging out they always invite the guy who got alot of people to start hating me, its difficult seeing him ya'know?
try replacing those thoughts with others, instead of "its only 30 bucks" think "whats something else thats $30 that would benefit me more" and if you cant come to a conclusion dont buy anything

Been lifting 4 times a week and feeling some gainz. Got a new book and reading 20min b4 bedtime to get good sleep, overall been improving physically and mentally.
Only person that I hang around nowadays is my gf, friends dont want to hang out irl but always keen on playing vidya w/me, feelsweirdman

What did you think of meditations?

sounds like you need them to fuck off my dude

yeah, i understand where you're coming from, but ive spent the last 3 or so years building a relationship with these guys, and its only really gone to shit since about 4 months ago. so its hard cause i have alot invested in them. im friends with alot of my year group, and i can easily make new friends (currently doing that) but none of them are *close* friends, more so acquaintances

Wew lads.
I was a shutin for 5 years, just got a job at the YMCA starting 9/25. Got moved up to 40 hours a week. This is the most I've talked to people in years, I love it. Everyone is so friendly and the Y is steeped in self improvement. After I sort my schedule out I want to start playing tennis, going to school and lifting. I'm actually too self conscious right now to start lifting at the gym and I'm relying on people for rides. I can go a couple hours before work and lift I just haven't made the leap. I want to iron out a schedule and weight lifting routine so I don't look like an idiot. Talking to a cool guy at the tennis court and asking him about tennis and shooting the shit. He offered to go to the gym with me and show me a thing or two
I feel so fucking good bros. Only downside is my friends that I'm living with are neet and unsorted. They just do things that are expedient. My homeless parents and dog are coming up to where I'm at this weekend I think they got a place to stay. So I'm very fucking happy.

this post gave me hope, it has such a lively feel to it and I am very happy for you user, my next lift is dedicated to you. Godspeed user!

no such thing as mesomorph, somatotypes are bullshit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

Were all gonna make it breh. Gave me a huge smile and I'm going to hit the gym after my days off because of you.

ive read a lot of self help books and none were as moving to me as "The 48 Laws of Power" i fully recommend it especially to guys who feel they're beta

im very glad user! it's been a long long time and it's gonna be a long long time. but i'm dedicated, and one day i'm gonna make it :) we all are

>/pol/
>self-improvement

lads i've got about ~$300 to spend on gym equipment to make a home gym, already got an ez bar and dumbells with weights

Is it worth buying a bench and an olympic bar? Not sure I could find a squat/power rack for cheap. My current gym costs about $400/year

r*ddit

reclinable bench will add a lot of versatility

Just go to the gym.

but I save money in the long run, plus I don't have to deal with with shitty gym hours as they close early

>tfw started running in order to loose weight and to train my discipline
>can see the results already and don't skip training
>however still can't force myself to study even if I need to

Discipline is a strange thing. I can force myself to go through exhaustion and physical pain but when it comes to sitting and reading books on the subjects I don't like I can't help it.

Same senpai, I've lost over 50kg by discipline, meanwhile I cant even begin working on a small 2 page paper I have due this sunday.

Been keeping my streak of going to the gym, diet is not the best but I manage to stay under 2k calories, also learning a new piano piece

>tfw 100 word essay due in a year
god im stressed right now

Different user here. Are they really your friends if they're willing to turn their backs on you over something trivial? You gotta define what a friend means to you before you start making them. There are such things as bad investments.

That's what im starting to question, I don't know exactly *how* bad it is because it's all happening behind my back, but I know for a fact that's it's beyond fucked, I only really know that one of them is still holistically my friend but the others are all almost entirely avoiding me. all I really have left to hold onto is my other possible relationships and the gym.

Just think of it in a similar vain of approach. The exhaustion if of your attention span and ability to hold your focus. The physical pain comes from mastering your conflicting desires and finishing what you start. The hard part is getting started, it's easy once you get there.

And don't think there isn't any rewards or gains to be had. Discipline just like a muscle requires training and there's a great sense of satisfaction to be had at achieving something.

Once, when I was tired of failing to read the books I borrowed from the Library I sat myself down and told myself. That no matter what I thought, felt, or wanted to do I would read 100 pages that day. I'm a slow reader, so you can imagine what it felt like to spend five hours reading a measly twenty pages an hour. Though the pay off was worth it, I had more or less fulfilled a random desire by the strength of will and discipline alone. And it wasn't nearly as challenging after I had started.

While I didn't use it for this particular moment, exponential gain is an amazing source of motivation. If I can read one page then I can read one more. If I can read two pages then I can read two more. If I can read four pages, eight, sixteen, thirty-two, sixty-four, one hundred twenty-eight etc.

You may think you have better things to do, but what's better than self improvement and showing yourself just what you're capable of?

Best of Luck

Well, either way you need to find out what's going on. Whether you try to save your friendship or gauge it's worth abandoning. For future reference, you'll know what to look for in people from this and can better select your friends. As the old saying goes "You can choose your friends, but not your family."

Reversing it is silly to me, and making no effort to fill your life with the right people is equally foolish. You are what you surround and occupy yourself with. Keep that in mind. And remember at one point your current friends were total strangers, so don't be too apprehensive about making new ones. You're just starting over again.

thanks, I needed this. im going to take into consideration everything you've said. I'll see how things really are and when I know for certain I'll make a decision. But for know I guess in just gonna have to put up with it all :/.
thanks breh

Don't thank me just yet. It likely won't be easy, especially when you finally confront them about it. Their reasons may or may not be reasonable and you'll have to do a lot of questioning of yourself and them. What's worse, you may never get a clear answer. And if you do it'll come at a price whether big or small.

I wish you the best of luck, and the perseverance to stick with it and not abandon hope.There's merit in both being supportive and understanding as well as harshness and loyalty. Deciding which you prefer takes time(experience) and consideration.

A girl will like you for your personality, if it's compatible with hers and if you're not a douche. You also gotta listen to her in the sheets. If a girl isn't being properly sexed, she'll leave you. SO LISTEN UP!

So, in short, it won't be "any" girl who ends up noticing and liking you, it will be a girl with a compatible personality. And most likely she'll look as interesting to you as you do to her.

I enjoy the gym more than my course now, for good or bad. The way I deal with procrastination is setting my deadlines a week or two before.
Yeah its worth it, just buy everything you need and then cancel your gym membership. If you're in it for the long run, do it.

Had so much plans for improvements for this week, but ended up coming deadly tired from work, despite doing fuck all at it, without any energy to do anything. Can't even sleep properly, even though i always go to bed early, nearly 2 hours of insomnia fucks it all up.

insurance I was signed up for in like 2013 has decided im unfit for work and eligible for a small rent for the time being. never managed to pull through on weight loss attempts while trying to sustain my normie life
now im hitting the gym every day, eating ~1k calories and dropped from 110kg to 104 in about 3 weeks. It's not even visible yet but I feel good already just making a significant difference on the scale. im motivated for the first time ever and greatly look forward to being

I went to church today.

>Made sick sales at work
>OHP&deadlift day today
>Swimming tomorrow before breakfast
>Then working on my masters
>Then meeting a friend who's been working abroad for a while
>Then a metal gig in the evening

>Sunday, more schoolwork, then maybe movie with a girl

Reading Beyond Good and Evil. It's a bit on the heavy side as the writer just basically rants on paper, but it's a good read.

>pol
Leave that echo chamber for more improvement

Not good. I've been trying to leave my shitty job in fast food and trying to get a job more professional. I thought about just getting a job as a receptionist and then work my way up to a better position once I finally figure out what I want to do with my life. I'm not in school right now, but I did take a few classes and once I find what I want to do with my life, I'm going to go back to school. As of now I've just been looking for a new better job. I did see some openings that sound interesting. I'm just kinda worried that If I do get the job, how would I make sure my coworkers won't think I'm some dumb aspie guy who still has a high school mind set? I've only had job were I've only worked with high school kids and college dropouts. All of them are pretty immature and seem to not care about working in this shit job forever. I want out. I want to work with people who will push me to do well in life and I want to work somewhere I'm not too embarrassed to tell my old high school classmates.

tldr; How do I act my age and get along with people who are mature and have their lives in order?

Well I'm shooting for law enforcement jobs, so I'll find human resources.

Books/ novels - I tend to aim for books that I can learn from, stuff that teaches me new skill sets of refines them.
So I guess non fiction.

For instance left of bang is for situationall awareness

Went on holidays for 3 weeks in September. Came back as a new person and started exercising at least 5 days a week.

Also found a new job as a banker. I was in a dead-end job where I spent 8hours a day sitting on a chair pretending to work.

Tomorrow I'll be going to language class, but I still have to find the motivation to actually study for the class & digitalize my notes. Will start doing it later tonight probably

>I just got outhe of the service
unless you retired, you fucked up

I'm not, how'd I fuck up

How the fuck do I find a job as a 20 years old university drop out with nothing but a fucking high school diploma in the EU? Every fucking job either requires experience, or having attended a trade school. I guess I'll just get one of those alcoholic tier jobs that gypsies do.

Have to work a fucking ren faire this weekend but instead of just being glued to my phone as I camp out I'm bringing a book and a grip strength thingy. Maybe some social gains as well but I doubt it.

hey gonna blog but I need advice. I dropped out of unin a January but did nothing until except sulk until May. Got a job worked which stopped last month. But I've been following /SIG/ since then and I've started going to the gym(getting more confident in myself),I got my G1 after 4 years and just feeling a whole lot better about myself.

bump

SIR YES SIR I'M NOT BITCH MADE SIR

Bump

You need to have a perfect understanding of why you are doing that which you dislike. If you need to study, as long as you understand why you need it, the motivation to do it will surge. It must be related to a goal of yours, you have to wish upon a star and aim for it, then all "tasks" that help you get closer to your goal become enjoyable.

Everywhere that is political these days is an echo chamber. Still better off leaving it and ignoring politics, focus on yourself, friends, family, fuck everybody else.

tfw peppers died because of the frost. I was hoping to get another two to three weeks of growth out of them

This has been the best change in my life. I was very ideologically possessed from pol and now I've been listening to jordan peterson lectures at my new job.

You know, I have been thinking, it is somewhat of a niche but...what if the board culture hates self improvement? With that I mean that I think that we are probably looking at the chan world through the lens of some very old, very intelligent shitposters, guys like lanced jack, or maybe even worse namefags of before. What if the only reason they stopped their antics was that they integrated under the user flags, and just started to steer perhaps us in certain directions which they wanted to (probably not that bad too)

But the means of their control relies on some physiological malice. They may pose as an opposing party, even if that party is not there, just to engage and to create openings, to spur willpower into certain directions.

This emotional network of aggravation made us strong, but individually it kinda also made us too angry perhaps, maybe even has other side effects like insomnia.

That is why I suspect that these self improvement threads on other boards, and on some other chan are getting pruned. Because self improvement means cutting yourself off from that emotional network of like what...the voices of a dozen or so of super autistic controllers lol?

It may be the reason why they say "you are here forever". We may be here forever indeed because some of these people took over tribal functions, and maybe even invented new, novel functions (like pretending to be opposition) in our minds, and we are not entirely conscious of it.

Rate my goals for the next 3 months
>Get body fat down to 10% from 20%
>Add 1000 Japanese cards to Anki
>Stop going on /r9k/

1000 cards in three months is probably going to be the hardest part of that list.
Are you learning Kanji at the same time?

How the fuck do you make friends?

I've always been able to make friends in school, and again when I went off to college, but now I've gotten a job in a new city and I'm "management" so I'm unable to socialize with 99% of my coworkers.

How the fuck do you meet bros as an adult?

I'm already good with Kanji because I studied Chinese in college for several years

I cant fix my sleep. It takes me forever to fall asleep and i wake up regularly after 2-3 hours.

Any Veeky Forums-bros here who struggled with sleep and managed to improve it?

It's basically destroying my life.

Don't look to other people look to yourself. You need to find what motivates you. For me, it took until I was 23 to figure out I didn't want to be a loser so I started lifting heavy, started going out to a dance hall and found a gf that 3 years later became my wife, and got into the tech field and just out-worked everyone. I personally would read about successful people on Wikipedia for inspiration, but that still counts as self-motivation.

I don't really have any good friends that are on my level in life. I determined what I wanted to do and then worked toward it. Jordan b Peterson has a good program that could help you as well. He shills it for 15$ and it helps determine your personality and what you may be good at. That could be a good first step for any of you guys who don't know your direction.

Oh then yeah that's actually a lot more realistic of a goal.
Just didn't want you setting yourself up for failure user; Japanese is ranked #1 hardest language to learn for English speakers for a reason

Yes user, I am the expert on sleep things. Though your symptoms I am unfamiliar with. Why do you have sleep problems? Too many thoughts keeping you awake perhaps? Could it be that you did not eat fully enough to fill yourself up with carbs? What are your life habits and patterns? Do you work?

Looking to improve my routine.

Guys I'm on the fritz. I run coolcicados ppl 6 days a week. I enjoy higher volume because it makes me feel like I'm actually lifting. Unlike a strictly 3x5 plan like GSLP.

However, this past week I got sick from an upper respiratory infection so now I'm resetting my shit.

Should I continue PPLPPLx or switch to a compound program going AxBxAxx with running on every other day?

Goal is to be strong and look good, plus run a 10k.

Am I wasting time with a ppl or is a 3 day a week plan more efficient? All of the fucking memes on here have completely blown my fucking brain out.

What do you need advice on?

Look up and order the compound noopept

Talk to more people, talk to more adults. If you are genuinely a good person to talk to and helpful to people, they will take notice. Make friends with your bros dads, ask them about their lives, find things to relate, learn from them. Ask older men in person if they have any suggestions, most men have been in a similar situation, and no bro would pass up the opportunity to help out a budding young man. Good luck

Holy shit this is exactly where I'm at now. I just started using Veeky Forums again yesterday because I found out that Jordan Peterson is hailed as a god here, and that Stoicism/Roman Virtues are in abundance

Breh, RenFest campgrounds are fucking wild. If you don't wander around drunk and chatting with different groups while still in costume, then you aren't doing it right.

Try going to sleep way earlier. I recently switched from going to bed at midnight (which didn't always work and would sometimes have me up til 4 am) and waking up at noon to getting ready for sleep around 8-9 pm, falling asleep somehwere between then and midnight, and waking up around 6-7 am. It's really improved my productivity. Makes me think of the thing my dad used to tell me, "the best work gets done before 9 am" or something like that.

I need a hobby to do, I'm a novice at lifting, and want to do ppl so I can force myself to go to the gymnast more often because it's good for me and I'm bored as shit otherwise.

I'm oversleeping because I want to play less vidya games and have nothing else to do. I kinda want to make music but don't know where to start, want to study Spanish like I did in high school but don't know where to start, etc.

If you want to do music pick a instrument (or music production software) and start studying and practicing. Try out the instrument then find things to practice (scales, easy songs, note reading etc). Time your practice sessions, 20 hours of effective practice is all it takes for you to be proficient with an instrument. if you keep going from there and practice constantly and consistently you'll become god tier.

For language start off with Duolingo and work your way from there.

I completed duolingo Spanish a while ago, is frootyloops good?

/pol/ was the best thing that ever happened to me

If your the kind of person who benefits from understanding the causes of things its a good place to go, at least in the short term, to understand things a little clearer

>in the EU

Good luck competing with people who can undercut you by 50% and live like a king in their own country due to exploiting the price of living difference

>Places like /pol/ were a big motivator to get better and seek self improvement
Yes blaming jews and immigrants for every problem you have gets boring after a while.Good thing you are growing up.

Does Veeky Forums have a time management method?

Yes, don't waste time. Think about what you're doing and how it could be done faster. If you actually take 5-10 m inutes each morning to plan your day, you will suddenly fucking be able to get a TON done instead of just doing things as you remember them

Yeah. I have google timer open in another tab.
When I start a task, I also start that timer. As long as I'm on track I keep the timer running. It's become a game to make it last as long as possible.

focuslist.co

>Setting up a home gym
>Just bought a curl bar and some dumbbells
>Is it worth it to buy the most integral pieces to any gym ever?

Jesus dude

Serious Question.
Can I break my cut in two?
Im sorta dirty bulking so obviously my cut is gonna last for at least 2 months.
I don't think I ve gotten much fat but I myself can understand it.
June was 71kg back from a mononucleosis and started gym then. Currently at 78. Thinking of reaching 80 and then cutting back to 76. And based on the results bulking again but a bit "softer".
So. Should I break my cut in two or is it wiser to maybe just cut till March and use the rest of the months for cutting so that it wont interfere with my lifting numbers?

>9 hours
That's literally double of what you actually need.