Cycling thread

Whomst here participates in the objectively best form of transportation?

>Leg strength
>Environmentally friendly
>Agile
>You have to go slower than me when I'm in front of you and if you try to run me over I sue your family!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-cjfTG8DbwA
youtube.com/watch?v=f80zBco_-VY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I do

>Live in a real city: dense, bikeable, walkable
>get to work faster than carcucks by weaving past them while they are locked in traffic

I do
>Joocy leg gains
>Minimal monthly upkeep (air/chain oil)
>Don't need to use combustion to move a ton of steel, just sweat to move some of kg.
>No danger to others riding drunk
>Feel refreshed and energized whenever you finish riding
>Pussymagnet for hip, forward thinking bitches
>Rewarding when you challenge yourself in climbs

Carcucks need to get rid of their cage and start using Veeky Forums approved transportation NOW

i do but my daily commute is ~1 mile so its not much of a workout my legs still look like sticks

okay I've been thinking about joining the darkside for awhile now the only thing I want to know is it worth it to get a 400 dollar hybrid bike I don't really want something super aggressive but I don't know if it's just a waste of money

Driver here
It's cool that you like spin classes or whatever, but if you don't stay in your designated helmet-hair lane, I will knock you over and drive away

I want to but bike lanes are literally on the same road cars use and about a meter wide in my city. It's like you're guaranteed to be clipped at least once and that's all it takes for permanent injury. Why can't they just make bike only zones next to tram or train lines or something so you can guarantee you won't be killed trying to do the right thing?

Genuine question to cyclists: what is it about being the smallest, slowest and most fragile thing on the road that makes you think you own it?

I spent 760 on a new Cannondale roadbike and it was the best investment I've made in my life, to date. If you don't really plan on trail riding get a casual roadbike in that 500 range and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

okay I talked to my buddies dad but he's a boomer and has a 10,000 bike or some shit and said I need these clip on shoes and stuff but can I just rock a normal pedal or is that cuck?

I think every cyclist knows car beats bike in 1v1, but 99.9% of drivers do not intentionally try to hit cyclists. Wear a helmet, ride cautiously, and you'll find that the shoulder of most roads is wide enough, even on freeways. As long as you're making an effort to be seen and looking out for traffic, accidents should be a very rare occurrence.

I don't advocate cutting off traffic like other cyclists, but I'll be damned if I'm waiting at a stop sign or light if there's no one else with priority. I get that we often flirt with the limits of traffic law, but I think someone who busts their ass to get where they're going deserves the momentum they worked for.

Cycling is fine as long as you’re not one of those faggots who goes out in big groups and blocks up the road like it’s your fucking birthright. Any chance I get it’s off road onto designated cycle areas, because most car drivers are too scared/retarded to get around cyclists

Nah the clipshit is pretty hardcore. Easier to do uphills and makes more use of your pedaling but if you're doing under 20km a day totally unnecessary and kind of hazardous if you stop/go a lot. Stock pedals are fine. But make sure you wear a helmet my dude, there's no other insurance for riding a bike. Just buy something that looks good on you otherwise you'll never wear it.

Okay I thought so it seemed more of a long trip euro thing with the clips, ya helmets are key don't you worry hunny ;)

because we aren't retards with psychology dergrees who work as junior account managers and live in some suburban hellhole and wait two hours in traffic to get to work to make 70% of what cyclists who live in the city make

Not as good as the post you replied to be honest. Work on brevity.

5 km a day during a cold morning is top comfy

>cars park on the bike lines everywhere where I live

Cyclists' way of thinking is literally "I'm a woman you can't hit me". LITERALLY. Prove me wrong.

Got clipped by an suv almost 2 weeks ago, have rode since then (pain/inertube popped when i got hit. havent been able to go a shop due to work) stay safe out there fellow commuterfags

>>Pussymagnet for hip, forward thinking bitches
pic related

you are right

I bike everywhere. Rain or shine. No petrol no insurance. Easy life. Max cycles are 40 to an hour. Keeps me fit although 7m scaling back for my lifting. Plus you have to eat like a champ BUT got great calves so doing bettdr than 99% of lifters!

Helmets arent necessary. Just be aware of cars and even if u have right of way make sure to watch drivers if the signal u. Only time i wear a helmet is if im doin some narly trails. On the road just be aware.

riding my bicycle gives me purpose throughout the day. I often go to uni and work freelance in different parts of a large city (1M+) and its just so nice to have some time in between to look forward to. Really calms your mind and lifts that imbalance between thinking all day and not moving all day. Makes me sleep like a baby in the evening.

As for bike choices: I would by a late 80s road bike. Technology has pretty much peaked then and the improvements have been only in the really high end bracket. Dont fall for the aluminium or carbon tubing meme. A good steel frame is all you need for daily commuting. Steel is just more durable and can actually be bent back into place when you have a crash.

Pic related is my beloved peugeot (not my photo though)

I wear a helmet just for the visibility. It's yellow high-vis and I get fewer SMIDSYs compared to when I commuted with nothing.

Mountain bike is underrated commuter. Aluminium is still reasonable in pricing for the weight advantage and lock out supension for when u on the road. Depending on your city but i can commute faster on a mtb through parks and valleys. You gotta have cleats though is my advice. Makes cycling so much more enjoyable.

>SMIDSYs
DWRNAAAFEN?
(Do we really need an acronym/abbreviation for everything now?)

i would ravage her pussy and stuff it with the cords off her head

>Technology has pretty much peaked then and the improvements have been only in the really high end bracket.
Couln't be farther from the truth. In a modern bike you get
-Indexed shifters integrated in the brake levers, massively more ergonomic than friction shifters on the downtube
- Ahead stems instead of quill stems that flex like a motherfucker
- Freehub hubs instead of threaded freewheels, easier to tune gearing and cheaper to replace sprockets.
>Steel is just more durable and can actually be bent back into place when you have a crash.
Are you planning on crashing? if you crash head-on the frame is a goner regardless of what it's made of, the structural integrity is gone and you can't really just bend a crimped tube back into place
For a sweet spot between comfort/speed I'd recommend one of those 'all-around' road bikes with slightly slacker angles and space for more tire-space and mudguards, oh and disc-brakes. The Kona Rove-series is one that pops into mind.

i keep to sidewalks when the street is busy, or ride on the left side of the street when empty.
>suburban rider

that picture is the epitome of proper humor. its so dang good

Thanks for pointing these things out, will research. On the other side those are things I don't really care about. I am only riding in two gears most of the time (4,5 of 10) because my city is kind of flat and you frequently have to stop for redlights. Have even thought about going singlespeed but I heard it fucks with your knees. Stem flexing is a non issue for me as I am not riding competitively and with my sedentary it's probably a good thing I have to work a little harder. Will read up on freehubs.

I don't plan on crashing obviously but it is a concern when I'm riding in the city. Also I am poor as fuck so I will happily ride with a slightly ditched frame as long as it does not pose a structural risk. Steel can provide that in a much wider window than Aluminium, as far as I know. Would be happy about your input on that issue.

True story:
>Be me in high school (alternative so full of shit kids)
>Hang out with maybe 5 people
>One is a qt senior
>me and her are bros
>we're shooting the shit during english class
>starts talking about how she hates how her ass looks
>Stand up to go get a paper
>comments on my ass
>Asks me how I got so thicc
>Tell her it was biking
>she writes it down and starts biking
>tfw I was still more thicc than 90% of the girls at my school when I graduated.

>live in residential area with narrow streets
>cyclists are allowed to go in pairs
>of fucking course they do
>traffic is shit on the daily
>several accidents per month
I didn't choose to hate cyclists.

It cycle to work 3 days a week which is 30 miles round trip and then go for longer rides at the weekend.

>pic related

Digits confirm, I never understood street-bike people when mountain bikes do the same thing and more.

other than the gains, biking helps absolutely everything
>more public transit is built (bikers can use it), which in turn can lift many people off poverty
see youtube.com/watch?v=-cjfTG8DbwA
youtube.com/watch?v=f80zBco_-VY
>in turn, it means that there is no need to own a car anyway, saving a fuckton of money
>since railways between cities exist now, cargo trains are possible too, making goods cheaper too
>more money stays inside the country
>more manufactiring is possible (compair manufacturin in the us when cargo trains were a thing vs now)
when it comes to cities:
>by FAR more space
>less parking spaces mean space for more parks
>less highways mean more paved ways, which are ideal for economic flourishing
>no more danger for bikers and people who walk as well
>more room for trees
>everything can be more packed, making the city more lively, friendly, and paradoxically, you also need LESS time to get to your destination, if there would be no cars

Reminder, that if you're a driver, you're just what's wrong with society and kys right now. Or get a bike/walk, you fat shit.

I could never ride a bike. I used to ride a scooter. I'm thinking about trying this, though.

please do

Legit, I thought I didn't want to ride because I didn't want to fall, but once you get used to it there's no feeling better than going down a giant hill at top speed with that wind in your face.

I don't do it as much as I did before, mainly because my perfect routine was ruined.
>leave home
>Bike 2 miles uphill to my favorite internet cafe
>play for a little while
>enjoy the 2 mile long downhill slope back home

I haven't rode a bike since I was a toddler, I'm afraid I might have forgotten lol. I might give my sister's one a spin when she goes on holidays. The bus costs me fucking $15 a week for just three kilometres each way, its not worth it really.

>tfw people walk in the bike line
>tfw cars are parked in the bike line
>tfw people walk into the bike line while distracted
>tfw people suddenly walk into the bike line with no warning
>tfw people stand in the bike line while waiting for the walk signal to change

>tfw bike lanes don't even exist in my city
not even a small one, it's 5 million, kill me

I might be little biased in this regard since I ride a fixed gear myself but three years in I haven't noticed any funny stuff with my knees. I ride like a regular person though, brakes and all so I'm not constantly whipskidding with my knees locked out.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with steel frames but they are pretty scarce with modern options and thus not something you should value above else. Based on ride quality people regard aluminum frames as being more 'hard' and unpleasant but that is easily fixed with a bit more volumous tires (I ride 28 slicks, for my next bike I'm opting space for 35's with mudguards), carbon fork and proper bar tape and saddle choice. As for structural safety the damage mechanisms of steel and aluminum frames are different but nothing you should be worrying about. Unless you crash with a car your bike's not going to break. And if you crash it will break. Don't sacrifice ride quality by planning for failure.

One can't forget to ride a bike user

>That delivery guy in his electric scooter riding the bike only lane

Man up and learn how to do basic repair.

>smallest frailest

sounds like someone needs to lift moar