How did people get Buff in Ancient Times?

Did Wheight Lifting exist back them?

Whow did Ancient warriors/knights/vikings/Romans get buff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
livestrong.com/article/319101-roman-soldier-diet/
rte.ie/news/2017/1012/911736-beer-16th-century-ireland/
ancient.eu/article/1033/beer-in-ancient-egypt/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton#Death
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>No desk jobs except for like .0001% of the population
>Wake up and eat oats and meat
>Work on Farms all day
>Exception is marching in war
>Die if unable to work or weakling

It's better to be lean and fast desu.

Wheight lifting has always been a thing

Back then people used to lift big stones and wood

The concept of picking up heavy shit and putting it down to get stronger has been known through all of human history.

People who had a reason to be strong (like warriors) would indeed engage in such practices.

Societies like Ancient Greece put heavy emphasis on physical training.

But the average person wasn't well fed enough to get huge. The largest source of protein for most people would usually still be bread. Only people whose jobs it was to be strong would get enough meat to get big.

people werent as buff as u think
they were just fat fucks

They got strong and becoming "big" as the bb sub-culture of distended guts or the modern posers means it did not exist.

I wonder if they would have considered Arny in his prime a god

People like sandow were freakishly strong back ten when the air wan't polluted with shit. Sure, there was industrial start at that time and air wasn't clean, so imagine what kind of monsters could exist in ancient times when the diet was water (ok, wine but I assume drinking water could be found on a peninsula surrounded by water) meat and healthy homemade stuff.

Wine was generally used precisely because you couldn't reliably get safe drinking water, no matter where you were. Alcohol is something of an antibacterial/disinfectant.

Get out of here Varg.

There's a yt video of Boucicaut's training

This, there's that Greek story of some herder who picked up and carried a calf every day, as the calf grew so did he. Progressive overload was known several thousand years ago.

Another account by a medieval writer is of a top knight winning tournaments with his intensive training, which consisted of lots of BW exercises and acrobatics that you'd find in modern Bw stuff, in armour and harness, as well as running training in his gear, which meant he was far physically fitter than the competition and let him move in full gear as of it was nothing.

People who needed to train did train, but a lot of work was physical back then. Why do you think dad-strength is a thing and you'll never have forearms like your father?

They lifted large rocks and probably did push-ups, they also wrestled and played games and had to do general labor/hunting/farming.

>How did people get Buff in Ancient Times?

Well I heard gladiators would squat logs, but I'm not sure about any of these sorts of practices in the middle ages.

Would love if someone had sourced material on this subject.

They didn't
People like your pic didn't exist back then

Thinking about this guy? youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI

Fighters were lean. They didnt get to eat much. They were also tiny in comparison to us

Dont base your idea on what ancient people looked like from art and statues

liters of red whine and kgs of lamb iirc

thats what one of the olympic champs did, I forgot his name

knights in training used to throw and lift rocks (im guessing they used smaller rocks and move on to heaviers, as they got stronger). Also did dancing, jumping and push ups. Plus wrestling. At least that's from a german hema manual, but i'm pretty sure this was basic practice in every country.

About the log lifting, that was casual too.

my father is an skinny weakling, despite doing a lot of cardio (he was an olympic swimmer, police officer afterwards and plays a lot of tennis and bikes about 100-150 km every week).

He still is fast as fuck when it comes to swimming, despite being 55, but when it comes to lifting he is weak af. He always disliked weights, and his skinny frame doesn't help him there, so he's more cardio oriented.

The most annoying part is that he busts my balls, thinks im gonna blow my spine from a 450 lbd deadlift, and i have to remind him that my forearms are the size of his legs.

Why not? Where did they get inspiration from if not real life?

dissecation or whatever you write in english
they'd open corpses and study their muscles/anatomy

BUT, doesn't mean there weren't swole people. Hercules wise is one thing I really doubt there were

in ancient rome for example, the common pleb had a shit diet based on grains, so a lot of deficiencies and even the warriors didnt have that much of a good diet, but still better than the plebs, they basically fasted through the day with eating a dry biscuit here or there and then they'd make a big meal at night
only the rich and powerful had access to constant meat in their meals

umm sweetie..
livestrong.com/article/319101-roman-soldier-diet/

Weren't Eggs and chicken and pork HUGE food staples through most of history??
I admit they ate alot of grains but they also had enough eggs/chicken/pigs to have a slice of chicken or pork or an egg or 2 with their meal

Alot of you think they ate nothing but matrix gruel which I doubt was the case

>water

rte.ie/news/2017/1012/911736-beer-16th-century-ireland/

You're wrong lad, dissection of corpses really didn't occur until the late renaissance and even then it was taboo

Wear 30kg plate for hours at a time

Swinging a 5kg sword around or a 10kg warhammer for hours at a time everyday

pulling back a 80kg draw weight longbow for hours a day

Doing that for years

Cardio out the wazoo as well

Eating meat and oats/porridge daily, up to 5 times a day. Abstaining from Wine

You didn't live very long, and your teeth were fucked but knights especially were swol in many cases, dudes were massive if their weights and lift numbers are to be believed in texts....

Romans were big into weight lifting for their soldiers, most cohorts had goal weights for each soldier and cardio was also a massive thing. Centurions were ritually punished if even one soldier dogged the boys, so they were made to work out daily. Centurion training and nutrition was taken directly from the roman army, and those dudes had to be aesthetic af

dudes, beans

we still do.

Plenty of texts that were meticulous in recording (weights in armour) of medieval knights especially. They talk about grain and pound which taken with today measurements one tournament knight was 150kg in full plate and needed multiple horses as they would be cooked after a really short time. I assume jousting plate was probably anything between 20kg to 40kg?
Describing him as having little fat
Makes him a fucking unit

The dude who unhorsed Henry the 8th was especially tall and strong, and almost killed the king (and he was a massive dude for his time too)

Honestly, this.

I mean, it's a shite example, but look at LARPers. There are a few guys I used to LARP with who wore full suits of chainmaille or plate. Their traps are surprisingly large considering they're otherwise massive nerds. I know one dude who is skinnyfat but has fucking cobra traps, kek. His maille is heavy too; I honestly have no idea how he functions wearing it for hours at a time.

Plus a lot of the chicks are weirdly fit. Since they spend their time basically doing cardio while carrying heavy shit they looks a lot better than the chicks who don't exercise and just drink.

Anyway, multiply that by a shitload and it's not suprising that knights and vikings are xbawx hooge.

Farmers Walks daily
Weight Vests (armour) daily
Eating Heaps
Practically Ketogenic diets, but with slightly more carb intake

Human diet almost never change in roughage from the days of the ancient greeks (500bc) up until the mid 16th century (when cane sugar became popular)

Oats, Fermented dairy and Lean meat (deer, rabbit, poultry, fish).

Paleo is a load of shit, but ye oldy times keto was a big thing

The empire that build everything from conquering, taxation and controlling commerce routes.
>not wanting to have the best soldiers
Eat shit fagot.

Stamina was much more important than being buff

They didn't. People were really rarely over 70 kgs

>largest source of protein breade
>bread literally has zero protein

I don't understand your memeing

>Weren't Eggs and chicken and pork HUGE food staples through most of history

Not sure about eggs but I'm certain meat was uncommon except for the wealthy. Fish was probably more common for those close to the coast.

>had enough eggs/chicken/pigs to have a slice of chicken or pork or an egg or 2 with their meal

This is pure fantasy.

I can tell you with certainty the pyramids were built on beer.

ancient.eu/article/1033/beer-in-ancient-egypt/

>Did Wheight Lifting exist back them?
>Whow did Ancient warriors/knights/vikings/Romans get buff?
Good question. I actually researched this as a hobby.

We know that people had dumbells and something like clubbells since antiquity. However, they were, as far as we know, not generall used for athletics. People apparently just did what they wanted to be good at, then added weight.

Example:
To get strength for fencing, you put a stake in the ground (different sources give different dimensions) and sparred against it with an exercise weapon and shield 2x as heavy as the real thing. That was used at least from Rome on and also by the European knights. Knights also danced and tumbled in full armor for cardio.

Modern training, say, pushups (invented around 1850 by a German gymnast), barbell exercises (barbell was invented around 1830 by a communist frenchman) and stuff like that wasn't done at all.

Imagine martial arts training, basically. Training with heavy weapons is still done in old Kung Fu styles, for example.

Farm work wasn't done by the warrior class either. Speed, not strength, was the most important quality for them, which of course makes sense and people were well-aware that different exercises gave different results (ie. max strength won't make you fast, and speed strength exercises won't make you strong). Runnign and jumping was also popular and people could run and jump ridiculous distances, if we go by the reports.

Sadly, not much more is known, except they apparently trained for very long hours and daily, so the intensity was probably low.

Results: Google August the Strong or Christoph the Strong. Then, there's Bybon from Greece and some guy from Rome I always forget the name of.

>Did Wheight Lifting exist back them?
No, it was obviously a Mark Rippetoe invention you fucking twat.

Joe Weider actually

How did people who's job was to be trained killers get yoked? Did you even read your own question?

LARP fag and PL fag here, my chain and plate has a combined weight of about 38kg. Took the no-neck pill ages ago.

In reality though not too many LARP fags will have decent traps, though some might be on that genetic forefront if they're diehard players.

But yeah, these days I bring about 2 or 3 gambesons (padded under armour) because over half a day of wearing time with chain and plate over it that fucker will unironically be soaking wet.

Dem pussy lifts though.

I know it says historically accurate in title, but I would expect more barbell lifts.

This bitch nigga actually thinks nobody had good teeth before toothpaste.

Yeah you're right I guess man is just a naturally shitty animal that can't have good teeth, unlike every other animal in the whole rest of nature

Paleo is a load of shit, it's just what they actually did and got crazy strong and ripped on

user, they've been brainwashed their entire life.
They honestly don't know that modern western people have objectively and factually worse dental health then indigenous people's who've never even seen a toothbrush.

Stones, there were a norse trading post where i live and in the farm of the Jarl they found heavy stones made for lifting.

While your averge man did not have such crafted stones they worked the fields and ate very healthy. (fish, sheep, grain and herbs)

I went to a Renaissance Fair once where they served turkey legs so I'm sure it's that.

Ancient humans weren't exposed to all the bullshit chemicals and pollutants that modern humans are. They were vastly stronger than modern men. They had more test.

For training they did hard work, broadsword training, calisthenics, and they lifted heavy rocks and shit.

For all the conveniences of the modern world, we've given up a lot.

He wasnt a herder dumbass nor was it just a story. Milo was an Olympic athlete in wrestling and carrying the calf around was his training routine for preparing for the Olympics

I can tell you don't have a college education.

>college education
>means you're knowledgable

user...

Do you know how many trees it takes to build castles, houses, forts, and barricades? I'm talking real hardwood like Yews. They cut down entire forests to build shit back then. Without machinery. They lifted heavy a lot.

Actually I do. I'm also a CPA. What the fuck are you?

get a new dad

I have a bachelors degree in putting my huge cock in your moms mouth.

What the fuck kind of bread are you eating? The full-corn wheat stuff that I buy has about 13g of protons per 100g at about 200kcal. So two loaves are 130g of protons and 2000kcal. Add in some complementary veggies to balance out the amino profile and you've got a decent helping of protein from bread and veggies alone.

Only things you can eat that will fill up the caloric allowance of a physically active person, but not provide them with a decent amount of protein is sugary and fatty shit.

The reason most farmers back then weren't jacked as shit wasn't a lack of protein but a lack of calories in general, plus tons of cardio.

It would be pretty cool to try out training with full body armour

>livestrong.com/article/319101-roman-soldier-diet/
>roman soldier diet
>corn
fucking stopped reading there. Corn is from the Americas and wasn't introduced to europe until the discovery of the new world in the 1500s.

She's 65 congrats you nigger faggot

Maybe they mistranslated, "corn" instead of "kernel" (of any grain.)

They didn't have good teeth because of bread and other starch related food. It's only a step above plain sugar chemically, which fucks with your teeth.
If you go waaay back, then yes, people probably had alright teeth because all they ate was meat and some veggies, so almost zero sugar in their diet.
Now fuck off, both of you.

Corn means grain outside of the US Americlap.

People got big, though not in ways you would think. Spartans, for example, were not lean once they completed their training. Built more like modern frontline soldiers, strong with a little fat, meant for endurance more than anything else. Same with Romans. People knew about strength training but if you're looking at warriors from societies with professional military, you're looking mostly at a mix of movement drills for big units, sparring/technique work, horseback riding, and in the case of the Greeks, a lot of bodyweight training (almost always translated as "gymnastics, but more like what we would call just bodyweight exercises).

Nobles were often taller and stronger just by virtue of having a consistent, healthy and varied diet their whole lives. This included many knights/samurai/etc. Even farmers didn't always have adequate food, especially meat.

Stories most likely. There have always been genetic freaks that get to 6' 220 lb lean with little (relative to normals) training and poor diet. The average person though was like 5'5" and weighted 140 lb.

Do you also think people like this exist?

>eat meat everyday

Yeaaaaah... No.

Truth is, aside from athletes like the greek and trained soldiers, etc. most weren't "bodybuilder buff"

Bread is made with eggs and wheat has protein too, little man. The more you know.

Even the thetes (citizen peasantry) in Athens and other Greek cities were immensely strong compared to the modern day. Historians used to assume that accounts of the movements of Greek naval ships (which largely were crewed by rowers recruited from poorer freeborn classes) were exagerated or outright lies because of the strength that would've been required to accomplish them.

Yes, it's unlikely that everyone looked much like the 'athletic ideal' represented in votive sculptures. But that athletic ideal arose in a world where you were either extremely strong or extremely dead, with very little leeway. Even 'civilised' societies in the ancient world were ridiculously, brutally violent by our standards.

>He doesn't know about xenoestrogens
Not to mention being overweight will reduce test.

Gluten is a protein you fuckwit.

Biggest issue I have with paleo as a diet is two fold:
1. Cooking was invented by early man and is responsible for making food more calorically available to the body (and our calorie hungry brains),
2. True paleo was "whatever is local and we can eat without dying" instead of these rather specific diets that are based on food sources from all over the world.

>needing to be taught something that you should know how to do by instinct
Oh user, I'm sorry to say it but you seem to be autistic.

Further proof of the pussification of the Western male.

Not just the Western Male, but most males. We don't do manual labor on the level that they did back then not forcing our bodies to become that level of strong.

Basically everything we've done to make life easier has weakened us physically.

Damn, only 13g of protons..

Seriously? You asked that to the dumbest board right after /a/? Good luck with your bro answers.

fpbp

The highest protein content that you'll find in most average breads is about 15g. Anything above that is usually the result of added soy or exotic flour mixes.

>Basically everything we've done to make life easier has weakened us physically.
True to a certain extent, but when you compare someone who does hard manual labour on a shit diet and some office drone that counts their macros and lifts a bit - the office drone is much better of physically.

I come from a third world shit-hole. Most my relatives that didn't bugger off to the city and still are in the mountains doing subsistence farming look 70 by the time they hit 50, their blood pressure often is in excess 150/100, half of them have barely 50% of ROM left in many of their joints. And they also aren't very buff despite doing enormous amounts of manual labour, the only exception are usually traps, forearms and calves. Still: the average 50 year old woman can probably out-work the average city guy in his prime. But that's mostly down to work-experience, pain tolerance and endurance. Whenever I go up there in-season to help out my gains grind to a stop, despite eating huge amounts of local organic food rich in protein and staying well above maintenance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton#Death

>tfw not manly enough to die for my gains

So then what do you call corn retards?

Not saying that pic is made up or anything, but a reverse image search for it turns up a ton of results, and none of them are a reputable source.

Sidenote off of this: why would anyone make fake sites with gibberish sentences?
For example a few sites with that picture say something like this: "However, there are numerous conditions in which testosterone levels may be significantly increased or decreased. Therapy for Low T increases Bioavailable Testosterone in a man. You have a normal level of testosterone. Free Testosterone vs Total Testosterone. The Complete Guide to T Replacement Testosterone. Increase Your Testosterone Levels with."

Obviously just some shit strung together by an algorithm, but to what end? What does anyone gain by nonsense webpages just existing?

Sweet corn

corn is a term for any sort of grain, the english used to call wheet corn in the 1700's when maize (Indian corn) was well known

Indian corn or maize.

they were fucking manlets.

manlets put on muscle masss quickly

"According to historian and human height resercher Richard Steckel the average height of Northern European knghts in the early middle age was 68.27 inches / 170.4 centimeters (5'5)

fucking manlets

>68.27 inches / 170.4 centimeters (5'5)
66.27" is 5'6" or 168.3cm