I hate it when gymrats seriously compare themselves to Spartans or Roman legionaries or whatever other historical...

I hate it when gymrats seriously compare themselves to Spartans or Roman legionaries or whatever other historical figure solely because they're buff and strong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RdyfIOK3ZXQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why? Stop being autistic.

People have different motivations, let them relish in any autistic fantasy they want

The average gymrat would have died during Lacademonian education

I have to agree, its ironic that people here consider themselves 'fit', but if they tried to run a mile they would collapse. When they compare themselves to these ancient warriors they seem to forget the fact that, like modern day soldiers, its cardio first muscle second.

Most of all, they totally forget that Spartans were not just "fit", they were outstanding soldiers and had a certain weltanschauung. While these people just lift heavy things and put them back to their place, period

Yep, its an exact replica of the confidence/experience scale. They think 'well i look buff like them, i could easily do what they do'. And then those who have actually done any sort of battle fitness know that it is fucking brutal, and those guys did it every day since infancy. If anything, getting strong is the easy part.

Why does it matter to you? Legionaries weren't anything special, they were just men.

samefagging this hard

>t-that guy is bigger than me but i bet he has no cardio!
saying that buff dudes can't run is like the oldest dyel coping mechanism out there

I mean they probably would be stronger than spartans but wouldn't have any of the endurance, speed and pure grit

> cardiolets coping this hard

>And then those who have actually done any sort of battle fitness know that it is fucking brutal

>battle fitness

This is fucking gay bro

Since most people on this board actually believe that cardio kills gains, and 'hurr durr when will I ever have to run away from something ill just be alpha and punch it', and the kind of people you see in /run/ generals who lift but can at max manage to shuffle a mile in 11 minutes, id say its pretty accurate. Strong =/= 'fit' in the traditional sense.

Its ok if you're Catholic

Im in the army, and in the army you have battle pt or battle phys. Its a beasting. Ask any lad whose had to sprint about with 30+kg worth of kit, body armour and weapon up and down hills, it sucks arse. No need to be assmad just because youve realised you cant cardio for shit.

Had a group of close friends join the army as athletes and came home fat, married, and in debt

Ok well i'd say you're a sheltered retard who has been deluded by getting all your fitness information from this board
there are plenty of big strong people who can run several miles easily, and no, they're not genetic freaks or anything of the sorts. cardio doesn't kill gains unless you run so much you go into a caloric defecit which i doubt anyone here would ever do

Vanity is a grave sin.

All is vanity

I didn't even mention cardio, you fucking mongoloid.

there were no steroids during roman times

They wouldn't have used it anyway. Oh look, we're going to battle tomorrow but I'm feeling bad cuz my PCT isn't working fine. And what about having offspring after I leave the army? Sorry, I burnt my nuts desu

>le "I only look at elite warriors when I make comparisons instead of the whole picture" may may

Your spartans are short faggots whose stories are "I used to bench 405 when I was younger"-tier and the navy seals are better and more hardened than they ever were, deal with it.

The barbarians they fought were on mushrooms though.

Rome never stood a chance.

They were likely ripped from not having much fat and not because they lifted dumb ass weights for the sole purpose of looking shredded. Lifters are some of the dumbest and most vapid people in the world.

>Lifters that think lifting make them special are some of the dumbest and most vapid people in the world.
Fix'd

Should have written it like that. You did fix my comment, thanks.

#motivated

> ok well u a retard
Kek, triggered much?
> deluded/plenty of big fast strong people who arent freaks
Nope, ive seen plenty of strong blokes who are also fast and have endurance, pretty much all either when i was playing rugby or in the army. And since people on here mock rugby in favour of muh handegg (the epitome of raw mass over cardio), and the guys asking for army advice usually cant run for shit, id say my assessment is pretty accurate. The further common denominator in big guys who can run is that they give cardio more importance than lifting, either that or they already have a very solid cardio base.

Try harder next time fella

And thats what you get for joining combat support/logistics.

>le spartan meme

Spartans were Hoplites like any other Hoplites from any other Greek City State.

The Athenians made a deal with the Persia empire to fight the Spartans.

The Spartans attacked Athens and got BTFO on the battlefield but Athenian Hoplites, then the Athenians were like "lmao we dont need you Persianbros, sorry", then the Persians got mad and invaded Greece twice and failed.

It's even more fun when you're in full respirator and NBC kit

I get mad when people act like 2500 year old shit posting constitues an actually faithful recording of the physical traits and feats of ancient soldiers

And the Romans were off their tits on wine

>being this fucking wrong about Greek history

This man knows. Slipping your mask off just to allow it to drain out the sweat that was nearly drowning you is not a fun experience.

Idiot, pf course they would have.
1. Nobody would have been off cycle during war, obviously they would br on blast atm.
2. Your fertility returns after coming off gear. It cant make you permanently infertile, but nice headcanon anyway bitch.

Im vegan

>It cant make you permanently infertile, but nice headcanon anyway bitch.
Rich was shooting blanks.

Is there a good book for Greek history that doesn't read like a boring textbook?

>Legionaries weren't anything special
Yes they were, they were professional heavy infantry.

Legion != auxiliaries

When I was in the Army it was PT or Combatives. So basically Cardio and Calestenics (unless there is a lot of snow on the ground then go lift) unless someone in the higher ups has a Crossfit boner, then you do that. Combatives is just dumbed down BJJ done in BDU/ACUs.

Ruck Marches are about the only thing the Army does that they really should be doing more of for PT. Wearing your kit plus a 50+lbs ruck sack and walking distance at a fast pace is good conditioning work that meets the actual demands of being a Soldier FAR more than a 2 mile run in shorts and a t-shirt does.

Kys please
You absolutely have no idea what you're talking about. Steroids are made for people that practice some sports for a living or retards who want to look better than their gay gymbuddies. No army ever would run the risk to use that stuff

Well I suppose one could experiment with EPO etc. maybe DHT-type androgenics... But yeah, anabolics would be full fucking retard.

But then again, stims are basically that (except less expensive and easier to mass produce and distribute) and people don't even do that anymore so what do I know.

Former 42A (Human Resources Spec). Anyone in any job can end up a worthless blob. I've seen plenty of fat and useless combat arms guys having spent just shy of 8 years working with Grunts.

Basically it comes down to not drinking your weight in booze everyday and actually doing more than just the basic "train for the APFT" PT routine to be truly fit and make it while in the Army.

Plus the Army relies on running FAR too much for the solution to losing weight, or just general conditioning. Then again considering the old APFT manual had a passage about wearing knee high socks to prevent shin splints it's not the first time the military has shown a love for stuff that's been proven to be worthless.

> im a faggot
Opinion disgarded

Im a bong, and what we have before deployment is OFTs or operational fitness tests. Most of them are pretty easy but some are a bust if you properly go for it. Also battle phys can be anything the PTI fancies, whether its firemans lifts, down ups, stretcher races, obstacle course etc etc.

Ah, different system then. I was thinking US Military.

About the only folks I've seen do stretcher runs were medics.

Fair one, yeah most non combat roles can get away with being out of shape but anything that requires you to be out on the ground in an infantry role theyll blast you for being unfit

Bull balls where their steroids. Direct testosterone boost. I don't believe the range of use is known but it's known that it was in use.

As long as you score the minimum in a PT test you can't actually be punished, combat arms or not, but it doesn't mean they won't find ways to "encourage" you to do extra PT to improve your score.

And honestly the support guys who get away with it work in support units, not inside of a combat unit. Support guys inside of a combat unit (like I was, or like the medics or mechanics we had) tend to get dragged along into doing PT that is at least as hard as the combat arms guys, if not harder.

Yes, there seems to be an overcompensation issue with POGs who PT extra hard to get rid of that "worthless POG" image.

TFW fit thread about how spartans were either alpha gains or beta cardio completely leave out blatantly the missing component of emotional strength that it would take to be an elite soldier that no type of non-elite-military gymbro will ever have.

Literally devolves into a highschool ego battle of routines.

Why.

(cont) I felt I should point out that the APFT makes sense if you consider it from the point of view it was designed for: measuring fitness of Soldiers in a WWI era Army. Problem is that with the amount of kit a Soldier wears the events no longer really represent the tasks a Soldier may have to preform (push ups for example where chosen to gauge a man's ability to lift his body out of a trench using his arms, chest and shoulders).

Basically the idea of a test built around the tasks a Soldier would have to preform isn't new (the original Greek Olympics were based such things, and the modern Pentalthon follows such a mindset when it was invented) but when things stagnate and aren't kept up to date it only decreases the readiness of the Soldiers in question, not increases.

In my heavily biased opinion the APFT should be a test conducted with full kit on. Perhaps not with a weapon, but at minimum with a vest and helmet on and in regular combat uniform. It should have a timed ruck march (say, 5 miles so that the test can gauge cardio endurance under load but not take all day to conduct) and can keep push ups but sit ups should likely get replaced with something else more appropriate to the normal conditions a Soldiers has to meet in combat. Maybe a timed 25m casualty drag where you have to pull one of those casualty sleds with 200lbs of weight in it.

Either way, I feel the modern APFT test is a joke that does little to actually condition Soldiers for the sorts of things they actually do and should be capable of in day to day life.

Did you know that Varg is /nazbolgang/ now?

youtube.com/watch?v=RdyfIOK3ZXQ

We'e spartans and Roman soldiers even buff or did they win through superior weapons and tactics?

I don't actually give a fuck about varg.

Thank you for being a sweet boy and replying to my post to inform me of him though.

>Note comparing yourselves to Roman legions who fucked each other in the ass all the time.

Never gonna make it.

The theban culture is LITERALLY the only ancient culture were sodomy was common and accepted.

Yeah you talk a lot of sense. One of our OFTs is 2 miles with 20kg of kit in under 18 minutes, but thats pre deployment as opposed to entry. We do have PFA/BFT which includes an 8 mile tab with weight and weapon (i think you call them ruck marches) but once you get used to them theyre piss really. Military fitness is a very different type of fitness than most people encounter before, so changing up the entry tests would probably cause a lot of issues.

You can keep basic entry tests simple, but the fitness gained in Basic training and beyond should reflect the way Soldiers fight more than it does now.

I mean hell, if you're supposed to train as you fight why test based on nearly hundred year old criteria for a type of combat that doesn't match anything we currently do?