/OWG/

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

Freedom edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/238070190
yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Found out yesterday that i simply cant overhead squat without plates on my heels. I can front squat and C&J barefoot just fine but there is something about the overhead squat position and movement itself that makes it impossible to do barefoot. Probably going to get WL shoes now. Also found out while practicing that i could use a little bit more shoulder mobility.

Hello I need some advice again.

vimeo.com/238070190

Today was my heavy clean day and I went up to 130 I think it it was. When I did, this happened.

Obviously the bar came waaaaay to far forward and I couldn't catch it. From what I can tell there's two possible reasons for this.

1. I'm not keeping my torso at the same angle throughout the first pull, which leads to the mechanics of my second pull being fucked up
2. I'm not applying enough force to the bar during the third pull to keep it close to my body.

I know I can stand up with any weight I manage to get under, so right now fixing the bar coming forward is my number one goal. I'm thinking heavy clean pulls with a focus on torso angle, and high pulls to work on using my back more during the pull.

Any critique and advice is appreciated

I've had a similar problem and it was to do with starting position, it looks almost like you're trying to do a deadlift (not far enough over the bar), meaning the bar is too far forward for the entire first and second pull. Not an expert though.

>vimeo.com/238070190
Not a weightlifting expert, but I see two mistakes
Your pull is very kyphotic
You humped the bar too hard, pushed it forward and forced yourself to jump forward to catch it
These two alone are very poor form even if you hadn't missed the lift

What’s the minimum required vertical jump to post on /owg/?

A-asking for a friend doing SS.

80 cm

I'm with ya on that. The more I look the more I can tell I let myself pull with my back instead of with my legs. I just gotta start deeper and not let my torso angle come down when I'm pulling.

I'm pretty happy with my triple extension really. The kyphotic note is on point though.

On the real, what are all of your box jumps? I hit a 120 for three the other day. That was the highest the boxes went there but I think I could go higher. Did one from the seated position too

My back hurts :(
>WL shoes now
Pretty much a necessity desu

>130
Pls be kg

Owg approved shoes?

No, ounces.

I know, i know. To make matters worse is i have long legs/arms and a shorter torso, but Im going to stop fucking around and order some tonight even if i only use them for one or two different lifts. Im happy with being able to do all of my other training without shoes, i spent a long time working my way up to this mobility senpai

Adipowers are absolutely approved.

How bad is it to olylift in these?

Alright bois I've decided my squat form has a severe problem.

My bar path starts to come forward the deeper I get into the squat, my hips shoot back out of the hole, and it turns into a squat morning.

I know my mobility is fine because when I warm up at lighter weights it doesn't show up. Is this a quad weakness or a glute weakness?

Should I deload and unfuck my form or is there accessory work I can do to target whatever is lacking so I don't have to stop squatting fun weight

yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/

Sticky came through, for anyone else with the same problem

This is from Laputin, as you can see the vertical jump average are not as high as one would expect.

classic compensation for weaks quads

Deload and incorporate pause squats in your routine. Cue yourself not only to "push the bar up" but to "grab the floor with your toes and twist it outwards". This activates glutes and abductors. Also, cue yourself to "push pelvis forward" when coming out the hole. This helps to engage quads.

Not fantastic, but it won't kill you.