/run/ general

Glorious Autumn trail running edition! (sorry S. hemisphere anons)

Old thread is dead.

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
[YouTube] How to Have Proper Running Form | Running (embed)

>tense arms and neck
[YouTube] How to Run with Relaxed Shoulders [Ep65] (embed)

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

How is everyone feeling?
Any new PRs? What time and distance?
How is the cooler weather affecting your training?
Post any new gear and let anons know what you think!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's a good weight to start safely running? Down to 233lbs from 260 earlier this year but I don't want to explode my knees by running too hard to start

I'm running @250lbs, get out there

>running in the mornings I work out
>nice and cool ~55 degrees
>trees are changing colors
fall running is nice lads

Just do C25k if you are a novice runner, I don't think your weight is out of the realm of running. Listen to your body and rest when needed.

>that first morning you can see your breath and your butthole tingles in anticipation for the run

>tfw been running for 2 years
>can only do 4km's nonstop since a month or 2

Why is progress so slow?

how often do you do different distances, different paces? mix it up, do some sprints, do some long runs

>tfw can't run because of wildfires
Guess I'll have to actually use a treadmill.

>living in commiefornia
ISHYGDDT

>sorry S. hemisphere anons

That's ok. I just had a glorious spring afternoon run so I feel fine.

Might switch to mornings, though. There were undesirables around the lake when I finished up. Haven't seen that before and it's not a nice way to end things.

sup

Good to see another /run/ coming through.
>inb4 runners out there busy running and not posting!

Today be mostly long run. A break in the autumn weather (it stopped raining). Low mileage week due to weather and work. But glad the heat broke.

OKAY Question.
When will I "feel" like a runner? Do you feel like a runner?
>run for over a year
>hit +50km a week
>not "superfast" but respectable HM time of under 2hrs
>no competitions under my belt

>see also: imposter syndrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
>expect me to read that shit dot jay peg
"a concept describing individuals who are marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a "fraud"."
>inb4 accomplishment shitposting

I feel like I'm faking it and I'm not a "real" runner even though I'm out there fucking doing it. I went from being overweight smoker to skinny runt nipping about at some ungodly hour in running shoes because fun or something.

>footing
How in the hell am-I supposed to do that, it's annoying as fuck to just be slow on purpose.

were you fat ?

What's your time on 4km ?

>>Imposter Syndrome

Hate it. I was just talking to my PhD advisor the other day about this. He said it never goes away. No matter how many grants you secure, no matter how many citations you get, no matter what high impact journal you publish in.

I got 2 months to achieve a 7.5 beeptest for the /aus/ army

My current beeptest score is 3.3

2 questions

1. Besides C25K is there anyything else I can do to quickly improve my beep test score?

2. If doing the C25K (im using an app for samsung) do I have to start from the very beginning which is the
"Jog for 60 seconds than walk for 90, Repeat
for a total of 20m" or can I skip all the beginning part.

Im a fatty who can run 1.8km in 7-8m or 2.4km (1.5miles for you amerifucks) in 15m

Rip your knees

You are a runner when you get that exciting/anxious feeling and can't wait to start your training for the day.

Doesn't matter how slow or fast you are, when your mind and body tingle in anticipation of going on your next run that is when you know.

What is everybody wearing on their feet?

I had never tried on a pair of Altra shoes before, but after having them a few months now I can say these are the best road running shoes I have ever owned.

Huh why RIP my knees?

Just did 20 miles at 8:06. Longest run before the marathon. Everything fucking hurts, I want to die, and I don't find this enjoyable anymore. I'm already looking into more marathons for next year.

>official race time is 10 seconds slower than my watch

how is this possible

Once a race fucked up the start time and everyone's time was slow. They wouldn't fix it either.

>took 6 days off
>ran 2.5 miles and then 5 miles the day next
>took another 6 days off

g-guys

How bad is it?

You're body is thanking you for the recovery time

who here /longasfuckruntoday/?

Its a nice sunny autumn day here in PNW. Going to give my breakfast another hour or so to digest then I'm going to go for a 25-30k.

Training is always like that. The good thing is running and completing the marathon is worth it. However, what is your target finish time? It's okay to go slow on your long runs. The point is to build up your aerobic endurance and get your muscles used to moving for a significant amount of time. The 20 miles thing is a dumb arbitrary amount. Instead, the next marathon you train for, focus more on time on your feet (e.g. 4 hours) and do them on trails. If you encounter a section that is very technical, it's okay to walk. You'll find by doing trails and like this, your stabilizer muscles get stronger which help you a lot in staying the same pace throughout the marathon while minimizing the next day soreness from the race itself. I did not believe it until I read it in an old /run/ thread and decided to try it. Holy fuck, it was the first time my quads did not scream in pain just walking down stairs.

>while minimizing the next day soreness from the race itself

Isn't that the best part though??

Your watch is shitty. I'm guessing you are also a GPS zealot that complains to the course officials that their certified distances are off because your GPS has a different distance?

No. I want to be able to start my recovery runs within a day or two so I can bounce back quickly to doing more running.

aerobic gains are the easiest to lose

easiest to get back, too

run because you want to. don't be some pussy who runs because he feels he has to.

My target is 3:45:00/8:35 min/mile. That 8:06 doesn't include a 3 minute water break, so really it's closer to 8:15 min/mile. My half PR is 1:38:04/7:29 min/mile. I used to run trails quite a bit and have done a trail half; there's a trail full next year I'm thinking about doing. The problem is that the only good trail near me is a 40 minute drive and gets boring after doing it a few times. I'll try to work in a trail run once a week though.

Why are you doing your long faster than your targeted race pace? Save the faster runs for your speed drills such as your tempos and intervals.

If you cannot find any trails in your area, it is okay. It's just very good to do it on them for the reason I mentioned. Do you do any strength training? You can get some training for stabilizers by doing one-legged variations of various exercises like deadlifts and squats with high reps but lower weights.

There is an app that helps to locate trails in your area called AllTrails. I did not know there were so many in my area (though most about 15-20 miles away) until someone pointed me towards that app. But as I said, it's not 100% crucial, but trails are extremely helpful.

Honestly I'm not a pace watcher unless it's a race. I just go at my natural stride which is probably a problem. All of my long runs are in the low 8s; my short and medium runs are in the mid to high 7s. I don't really do any speed work, I can't handle the pain. My 5k PR pace is only 6:40.

I do zero training outside of my runs. My uni has an extensive gym that I should really take advantage of. I started running to cut weight though, and the mentality has persevered. My upper body looks emaciated african tier.

This site is pretty cool, although I wish there was a way to filter out pavement trails. I found a few dirt trails that I didn't know about, not close but I'll take the trip out there.

Thanks for the advice.

Seattle-fag checking in. It's cold and overcast with the roads all wet, the suffering is real bois....

R8 my saturday run boys. Started getting some foot pains around 18th km. Would have pushed it to 25k otherwise :/

First run in almost 2 weeks, body felt great. Definitely could notice the lack of training lately in my cardio endurance though.

Anybody here into mountain running at all?

Thanks senpai
>pic related

I dreamt of running shoes last night. The toe-box was too thin though. Didn't fit.

School me on your Altra

Are you me??
Saving that for sticky in the future, or something like it.

I like the Altra because they have a zero drop sole. This way it is much easier to midfoot strike comfortably for myself personally.

The shoes also have a slipper like feel to them and roomy toe boxes (pic related). Not anymore expensive than your other quality shoe. I use my Altra for road and park trail running.

When I go mountain running I have a pair of La Sportiva mountain runners (the Mutant).

Altra are still fucking foot pillows. Inch of cushioning? Fuck that.

Vibram Five Fingers.

My end goal is 5 miles in 40 minutes. I am not at the pace, or distance yet (best is 4 miles in 35 minutes or 3 miles in 25 minute) so I am thinking of adopting this as my new routine:

>Monday: 2 miles dead sprint (~14 minutes) followed by a third mile as fast as I can with total under 24 minutes

>Wednesday 4 miles for time, eventually progressing to 5 miles

>Friday: repeat monday
>saturday repeat Wednesday

How does it sound?

run 8.5 miles 5 times a week. 70 minutes each.

Is that okay?

best method in getting most effective cardiovascular capacity for boxing and ball hockey?

My feet tend to get tired on pavement (low arches) if I don't have decent cushion.

You run really slow.

Just start running and add speed jump rope to help with footwork.

>tfw wear 4E, have really bad underpronation, and toe strike
>basically forced to use asics forever
>asics slowly narrowing their shoes years after year

I post this in most threads where people want to improve short distance speed. You ideally want to do 8x800m repeats, a 1.5-2 miler and a 5k per week, and then add in a 5 miler slow run on the weekend. This will help you increase your overall speed as well as improve your overall cardio. Try and focus on picking a pace and maintaining it rather than speeding up and slowing down a lot. Gradually youll find the pace that you can comfortable jog at will be faster. I used this method and have been running for less than a year and my current stats are:
800m 2:02
1 mile 4:43
5k 20:18
5 mile 33:26

So it does work, just gotta put the miles in.

Nice mile and 800 but what's with that 5k time?

It has never differed like this at any other race. And why would I be a GPS zealot when this has literally nothing to do with the GPS?

How long have you been running? Doing lots of speedwork is a recipe for injury unless you are an elite. The OP has a decent pace calculator to help calculate pacing for tempos and intervals, though I think it calculates a slower time. You need to add in easy runs since this will help facilitate recovery while also improving aerobic endurance through teaching you to be able to run through fatigue. Keep speedwork at once per week and alternate the speed drill (i.e. tempo run one week, intervals the next), unless you want to add in fartleks or striders into a shorter recovery run (which is fine but don't do it during every easy recovery run). Don't worry: your speed will improve. I'm a slow as hell runner that started doing this and managed to get my marathon time down to 3:54 from 4:15 within 6 months. Also, one long run per week to help build your muscles to resist fatigue. The long run does not have to focus on mileage and can ran based upon time instead.

>VFF
Seriously? Those are the worse minimalist shoes you can wear. I'm a big fan of minimist or barefoot running once a week, but VFF is a meme shoe.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

That 800/mile isnt quite at a pace i can maintain, and ive never actually finished a 5k where ive properly thrashed myself because ive gone too fast at the beginning. That pace is a bit faster than my jogging pace hence why i can maintain it for 3-5 miles. Sadly im all short distance.

you can run a 2:02 800 and sub 5 mile but not even a sub 20 5k? Bullshit lol

Where did you get this Image from?

See , that quick 800 and mile are basically anaerobic and im fucked by the end of it. Comfortable jogging speed is just under 7 minutes a mile, ive never gone all out on a 5k/miler because i normally start off too quick and blow myself out.

aye same.
going for reserves atm.
honestly i've just been focusing on the 2.4k run you do ffor BFA it'll be a lot harder.
How can you only get 3.3 but can run a 2.4 in 15mins wtf.
i've worked my way up to 2.4k's and am slowly getting the time down, at 16m30s atm.

Lad, you seriously need to use this , that 1.5 mile time is pretty horrendous, I can comfortably jog a 1.5 in under 10 minutes and my first PFA was a 10:36 all blown out. With the repeats, set a goal pace, i.e 4 minutes per 800m, which translates out to a 12 minute 1.5 miler. Aim to beat or match that pace every repeat, with a break of a couple minutes in between. As you get better at maintaining that pace, reduce the rest time until you can do two repeats back to back, then rinse and repeat until you can do 3 back to back. Congrats, thats a 12 minute 1.5.

yeah it's bad, i'm pretty unfit.
I've lost 27kg since mid December and have been going to gym the past month and half. Gone from barely k and then each gym session bringing it down a minute or so.

Progressed from walking and jogging to jogging and running, also lifting weights.

He can also add in striders to help with footwork also.

Anyone ITT who spent most of their lives sitting absolutely still in front of the PC and never did any sports yet managed to start running and be successful at it?

ps my hips, feet, and back hurts if I walk more than 30 minutes in a brisk pace.

gone from barely able to do a 1km run, then slowly worked my way up to 2.4km's.
my first 2.4k time was nearly 25mins.

I gym every second day and then go rock climbing 2-3 times a week.

Thought i'd clarify

can anyone recommend a running routine on the treadmill that won't kill my gains?

I hope your joking
But if really worried loft first then run there is a study to support this can't be ducked to look it up
I'd say probably train for endurance a lot of the benefits from running occur during long easy runs (don't use this as an exuse not to get faster "easy" tempo changes based on how fit you are.

In high school I was an obese anime watching virgin who began on the treadmill before moving outside. Now I'm a fit anime watching virgin about to run a marathon.

Depends on what you define as successful. To me, being part of the .1% that has completed a 50k at a slightly higher average (for my age group: 6:23 is the average; my pr is 5:47) is damn successful when my only goal was to go out and complete it. That is coming from being extremely lazy and smoking two packs of unfiltered cigs a day from 18 to 30 (now 34).

Also, despite the trolls in the thread, completing long races itself is sucessful. A marathon maybe the defined distance and many consider it no big deal because millions have done it, only .5% of the world's population has completed just once. Usually, those people who feel it is are in it for their egos and feel the need to prove it to everyone else. These are the ones who even the elites make fun of.

I want to start running for cardio, more specifically sprints. Where do you guys go for sprints? I feel like it's autistic to go sprinting through a public park.

Fair enough lad, you are getting there. Maybe just run more per week and add in the 800m repeats, theyre really good for improving speed. Keep cracking on

How about getting over it and just do it?

>ran a 5k in 42 minutes on a treadmill
how do i get better?

should i run outside on the sidewalk? what do i do about traffic lights, jog in place?

successful would mean being able to run a kilometer or two. getting over being a waste of skin and actually want to feel good in my body.

Okay. Do you guys have dedicated cardio days or anything like that. I was just thinking of including it every 2nd day at gym and just doing it after gym, or is it better to do it before.

You can complete the first within a couple of weeks. The second and third are not guaranteed.

You've made good progress mate, stick with it. Running can be hard to see progress on, but you'll hit a point where it comes quick then goes back to slow gains.

Work your way up to doing sprints - sprinting as far as you can, then walking at a quick pace/jogging at a recovery pace. Then after a few minutes or when you feel ready (whichever is first) sprint again.
Keep repeating. But do this like once every 2 weeks, at most once a week.
Variety in training will see progress.

Throw into that a few longer distance runs.
Advice I got was if you are training for a 1.5mile, run 3-5 miles at a time. Don't have to keep a matched pace, but it builds endurance and makes it easier to go faster for longer on short runs.

And seriously, throw in some hill runs. They're a bitch, and be careful on downhill as it can strain your calves and knees a lot, especially if you're still carrying a bit of weight. But hill work builds your leg strength up while also vastly improving VO2 max (how effective your lungs work).
Bonus is, hill training gains lasts longer than other gains.

I can't find it now, but there was a study they did on 2 groups, hill runners and non-hill runners and after a long period of no exercise, the hill runners were still fitter and recovered form faster.

Just keep at it, be wary of injuries, and work on strength with your hams and calves at the gym. Unweighted squats are a great way to stave off injuries when running.

Try and find places to run that aren't busy so you rarely have to stop. I run around the suburban roads where I live, as they have much less traffic.

Or find somewhere green and grassy to run and just circuit it to your desired distance.
You just need 800m or so round distance wise, so a park should do fine.

Treadmills don't simulate *running*, as you aren't propelling yourself forward like you do when you run irl.
Running pavement is okay but not great, but have the right shoes and pay attention to stretches, warming up and down etc. Doing lots of squats and other leg exercises will help too as the muscle and strength will help cushion the impact.

To add to this post, focus a lot on your form. Though a person's legs will adapt to any running surface, running on pavement and/or concrete is not ideal. Focusing on proper form can really help minimize long term issues due to running on hard surfaces (a combination of these two is thought to be a contributer to the high injury rate of runners).

To also add to the squats, build up to do single leg variations. Russian deadlifts with lighter weight, higher reps will help distance running more than heavy, low reps.

I've been slacking on my diet the last few weeks and put on about 5lbs. Just that small extra weight makes a HUGE difference in running. I feel so slow and heavy and clunky now. A reminder to never allow myself get fat

how do you guys train for strength in your lunges w/ barbell?

3x5? 3x10? etc?

>wet season is approaching
>bracing for 35+ degree days and 100% humidity

it's like running while being waterboarded. fuck.

skipping rope for running?

I just ran my first half-marathon that I've been training for since June and managed to get a time of 1:53, I feel great even with the chafing on my balls and my sore ass calves. It was the Nationwide children's hospital run in Columbus if there are any Ohio anons

just went on my first run in years.

only a 1.75km run (~1mi) and i did 30sec jog, 30 sec walk ... it was really fun

Just wait until you can go much further.

Keep it up. Don't worry about speed or distance. Just be consistent and you will improve rapidly.

Spent the majority of the first 17 years of my life in front of computer screens. Big gamer all my childhood

18 years old, finally joined the XC team after having never run in my life. PR that season dropped from 26:00 to 19:47 for 5k.

21 now. Still running in the back of the pack for a decent D3 XC/Track team. 16:45 for 5k. Not a huge accomplishment by any means, but I'm at least a lil happy about it considering where I was only five years ago.

Hey lads I ran a half-marathon and now my balls are chaffed, what can I do to help the chaffing

Anyone running with a heart condition?

I've got palpitations, and last year on the echocardiogram it was discovered I had minor mitral valve prolapse (with no regurgitation). Been running for a few years now, every 2-3 days on average, with some longer breaks in between (winter/injuries), and sometimes I've gotten palpitations during the run or after it.

Read shit tons of material on the subject, and watched a lot of videos, and the general consensus is that it's not really harmful or an indication that something is wrong if you get a palpitation or ectopic heartbeat every once in a while.

inb4 go to the doctor: I passed the treadmill stress test a few years ago (before I started running), heart specific blood tests, wore a 24h holter monitor, had shit tons of EKGs and as I said, underwent an echocardiogram.

from here twitter.com/HariusAwesome/status/899774438010494977

1) stop wearing underwear
2) deal with it

Basically your only two choices with chaffing below the belt.

To relieve it: Solarcaine.
To prevent it: don't wear tight cotton underwear

>barbell
I use dumbbells instead. 4x10, 1xF.