Redpill me on fasting, it sounds good but what's the catch?

Redpill me on fasting, it sounds good but what's the catch?

The catch is when you tell someone you're fasting you get lectured by uneducated swines who will tell you that it'll "destroy your metabolism" and give you an eating disorder.

hey you must be the guy who I btfo in that 200 calorie thread. fuck off idiot

The catch is that you have to be strict with eating within your eating window. The redpill is that when you do it right it gives you both gains and leans while allowing you to eat more of the foods you like.

I've noticed this too

I tried fasting until dinner and all my co-workers freaked out at me until I brought a sandwich to work

fasting destroys your metabolism and it'll develop into an eating disorder

>Citation needed

actually fell for it

I'm 11 months into 16:8 IF.

frankly, the only negative (which isn't really negative) is that there are days when you really feel like eating or drinking something outside your eating window (or have a dinner or party, etc) and you will have to push or pull your 'off' day to accomodate it

for example, I try to make my off day either sunday or saturday, as some people like rhonda patrick say fasting needs a day off now and then. but sometimes my schedule during the week seem good to drink coffee with milk and sugar (which breaks fast, obviously), so I end up eating early during a workday instead of during a rest day.

IF is up there with l-theanine as the best fitness and health-related information I have ever learned. both were the most life-changing health discoveries I have ever made.

Am I missing the frame of the gif that provides evidence for your claim?

I'll reiterate : do you have proof?

I don't get how a 16:8 IF is supposed to do anything. That's easily from 12-20:00 which is what people tend to do anyway so how is it even a diet. Have lunch around noon, have dinner around 6/7/8, how is that supposed to be hard.
I just don't get how there is suppose to be any benefit to a diet that doesn't change your diet or eating patterns.

It simply makes cutting easier. I wouldn't recommend during a bulk but it makes you feel more full once you get used to schedule.

It works great for me at work. I have a big spinach salad with chicken for lunch and then I have a scoop or two post workout then dinner. I can eat alot all at once and still be at a defect. If I feel hungry I just have a hot tea and that usually suppresses things enough.

You have to remember this is often aimed at fatties who eat literally 24/7 and balloon up to over 400 pounds.

For them, any time their stomach is empty (not hungry), it's time for another meal. Only allowing yourself to eat inside a specific window can prevent fatties from overeating.

I did the 16/8 for a few months, but eating too large meals gave me acid reflux and fucked my stomach, still recovering but 95% fine now.
It doesn't make you feel that good btw, it's mostly a meme.
Now I eat 6 meals a day and I'm even more lean.

Slow bulk is the way.

Because other than that you're only drinking pure water. Anything else breaks fast. Even ppl who don't eat breakfast usually gets coffee or milk in the morning. Or juice, or whatever

Even 12:12 already have a good effect

Who the fuck puts the fork on the right of the plate?
Disgusting

I don't know anyone who doesn't eat anything before 12. Maybe it's cultural, I'm swiss and we all have big breakfasts and a snack at 10am.

I guess I didn't consider coffee, I usually do have a coffee in the morning, but it's only 24 calories. Is the fast to trigger something metabolically or just behaviour modification because I doubt cutting out 24 calories would really have any benefit.

So I left a pan without cleaning it for a couple of days after frying a porkchop from a normie store and all it took was 48 hours for the fat in that clean pan mixed with extra virgin coconut oil to go rancid. That process also happens in your body and when you fast for a few days to a week you'll shit out all this nasty black horror filth and you'll feel great after. Don't worry about your gains they'll come back and if you're not a genelet you'll mostly burn off fat anyway. I went from 89kg dry to 84kg fasting for 7 days, and then after the fast I managed to get to 95kg a month later which I've never been able to do because my body processes food better and generally feels less fucked for the sake of the 24 years worth of black goo that I somewhat rid myself of. There's literally no catch unless you die which will only happen if you're a pussy.

it's a trigger, like a biological clock thing, except for metabolism. There's a 12 hour window for optimum nutrient absorption after you break your fast apparently. Well, 12 is still ok but 8 is optimum? I never read the actual scientific papers, just articles

So if you drink coffee at 6am when you wake up and have dinner at 8, your dinner is not digested and absorbed properly. At least that's what the data with mice says lol

That lab data with mice is freaky anyway. They have genetically enhanced mice after all these years of breeding them for experiments, you could wonder all sorts of things. Listen to your body.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Would drinking herbal tea like peppermint or ginger trigger it?

Yes. Anything that your body needs to metabolize will trigger it

see

>That's easily from 12-20:00 which is what people tend to do anyway
Nah, not really. My normie friends have said the same thing, but they still drink coffee and eat snacks from 8 in the morning till late at night and get fat because of it. Nobody counts their drinks, nobody counts their snacks so they sit at work full of sugar and coffee and think they're "fasting" because they haven't eaten a proper meal.

>but what's the catch?
its not magic like fake natty salesman try to tell you. Its an appetite suppresant, you dont really get hungry when fasting. And because youre not eating regularly your stomach decreases in size and smaller meals fill you up and you get no desire to eat anythnig else

the downside is fasting when doing something social can get hard

Those mice get thrown in air cargo and are subject to turbulence which is no bueno for all these lab tests (according to the people testing them).

T. Mice deliverer

Just lie and tell people that you eat big breakfasts and don't need lunch.

>started fasting to help get those last pesky kgs of fat to get shredded
>get shredded
>found out about health benefits
>kept doing it
>now trying to lean bulk, intuitively eating this time though since I got burned from counting every single thing I put in my mouth, no homer.
>rarely hungry, normal human beans portions keep me satisfied and can go on a day with just an apple or banana and a cup of coffee
>can't seem to be putting on weight despite still getting some peanut butter and nuts, the latter being always eaten every day
>days where I somehow seem to "gain" weight(prolly water) are countered by days I lose

fuck, linear progression is going fine so at least I hope I make gains
And now that I have a good body there isn't much to worry and I can take it slower I guess

It isn't easy... takes discipline and education.
There is a lot of disinfo you have to overcome.
There is no catch.

Disinfo examples:
- 16:8 is a "fast"
- One Meal a Day is a "fast"
- You lose a lot of muscle

The only true fast is 48+ hours of not eating food.

Yeah but those 48s are hard if you're anywhere in the 4k range working hard unless you're making olive oil 1k of it

As a person who advocates fasting and does it himself the biggest drawback is normies freaking the fuck out that
>"You're going to starve to death!"
And
>"fasting will make you fat!"

Often times said by the same person in the same breath.

Never tell anyone you're fasting. Never. Its your little secret and they're too stupid to listen to to you instead of lecture you.

The great thing about fasting is how flexible it is. Its literally just not eating. If your friends invite you out for $.25 wing night then drop $20 on wings and a beer and fast tomorrow instead. Dont be that autistic spaz who says he can't eat for another 37 minutes until his 16 hour fasting window is over.

If people do notice that you're not eating, at work or something then you just tell them you're not hungry and you dont eat until you're hungry. If they push it you tell them to mind their own fucking business.

I personally love getting lectured by people with 30% body fat about how fasting will make me fat and Im going to starve.

four ways to do life extension, all about equally effective:

1) calorie restriction (sucks full time)
2) fasting (sucks part time)
3) methionine (protein) restriction (no protein = no gainz)
4) glutamine supplementation (eat some fucking jello)

Any extended period of not eating is technically a fast.

Metabolic signals of fasting begin as soon as 2-4hours after eating and an entire spectrum of metabolic states is moved through in the next 4-5 days as the body enters into a stable state of glycogen depleted ketosis.

Arbitrarily picking 48 hours as "only THIS is a fast" completely disregards the metabolic bennefits of other eating regimens and fasting options.

Body builders and people looking to make strength gains should not be fasting for longer than a day due to the glycogen depletion which impairs not only strength but endurance and volume capacity. But these people can bennefit from extended fasting windows on a 16:8 or one day a week fast to control body fat while eating heavily on their eating schedule to support growth.

So please fuck off with your "no true scottsman" fallacious argument

>fasting
>still walk slowly

thank you.

>what's the catch?
That fasting in and of itself does nothing to speed up weight loss compared to someone who eats at the same deficit as you but without fasting

It's honestly quite refreshing seeing posts like this, thanks m8

Can you brush your teeth while fasting

Fucking Pegans. that's who

Not true, your hormones behave differently under fasting vs consistent caloric deficit

People who do the meme "5 meals a day" + -500 calories plateau and gain it back within a year because the consistent deficit kills their metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't decrease while fasting until the 3rd day without food.

By then you will have feasted. The feast-famine cycle (Alternate day fasting) can actually increase your metabolism because you're manipulating your hormones to burn huge amounts of calories at once while averaging a caloric deficit over the course of a week.

At the end of a fasting regimen, your metabolism will be way higher than someone who lost weight through consistent dieting and thus have a much easier time keeping the weight off.

>t. Ph.D. in broscience

Show me the empirical evidence of the long-term efficacy of calorie deficit diets.

>it sounds good but what's the catch?
It's fucking hard

Wrong
The rate of fat breakdown increases drastically with low insulin. Fasting puts you into the low-insulin state for long periods of time.
The meme "6 small meals" is not only harder psychologically but also less effective

plain coffee and tea do not break fasts. no insulin response

So if I eat my dinner at 6 and then don't eat again til 11, I'm doing it? Is that something?

LMAO are you fucking serious? did fasting kill your fucking brain? So you think you can fast, lose a few pounds and then forget about calorie counting?
Holy shit what are you even doing here.

>So you think you can forget about calorie counting?

Yes
I don't want to be counting calories for the rest of my life, that's not healthy behavior

I haven't counted calories in 14 years. And I have better control of my fat percentage than I've ever had.

In fact when I counsel fatfucks on weight loss utilizing fasting the first thing I tell them is that they're not allowed to look at calories any more. It's forbidden. I set them up on appropriate fasting schedule and counsel them on healthy food options and to eat until they're satisfied and full. If you don't get that hormone signal that you're full you're just going to get hungry again. Use the hormones the way they were designed to work.

Once you understand the hormone cycle of diet and satiety and use it to your benefit then weight loss becomes effortless and the fat just melts off while you feel full and NOT starved.

>what's the catch?
Its incredibly dangerous and could lead to serious health problems

citation needed

The catch is it works. Start fasting on the weekends and don't try it at work until you get some experience. Assuming you mean water fasts.

My argument is the first law of thermodynamics. You are the one mentioning metabolic damage bullshit, you should post source
Man
If you eat 500 kcal less than you burn you will lose weight, period. What is the difference between eating 6 small meals or 600 micro meals or 1 fuckhuge meal? What insulin? So if I eat lots of small meals insulin will cast a spell that prevents me from losing weight even though I ate less calories? How the hell does that even work?

google "refeeding syndrome" or "starvation"

neither have anything to do with fasting, try again

>"fasting will make you fat!"
never heard that one before, are they thinking you'll binge after due to hunger or what?

neg. effects of methionine can be countered with glycine. chuck roast, pork rinds, etc

5) ketogenic diet

obviously you can't

I agree with you guys and thats a really good advice.
But cmon, this is different from person to person, you cant let a fat person think that after losing weight through fasting he can eat as much junk food as he pleases.

Acquiring knowledge about calories and macros is key to any long-term success.

The idea that when you enter actual starvation your body will take any incoming calories and store a majority of them. Not sure if true, but it's spoken as gospel someplaces

I’m shooting for 40 days. I’ve hit a low point and need to sort myself out. 10 days was my previous best. It’s surprisingly pretty easy past the third day or so. The hardest part is the boredom of not preparing/eating food and not giving into temptation early on

Disinfo, state some things that are technically true, but miss th point and sabotage the purpose.

If you consider yourself reaping the benefits of fasting after 4 hours you are a faggot and need to find another hashtag to troll.

>redpill me on fasting
you don't eat for a while
>it sounds good
no it doesnt
>what's the catch
hunger

Also, you're not depleting your glycogen reserves for any impactful period of time on a 16 hour fast unless you're eating keto. You see these people online taking fucking six months to lose 30 lbs on 16:8, an they get zero of the hormonal benefits. 16:8 is for people who are weak willed and MUST stuff calories in their fat faces. Boohoo not eating is too hard.

>tfw 22:2
Not that hard though

>you cant let a fat person think that after losing weight through fasting he can eat as much junk food as he pleases.
Is that what I fucking said?

Just because someone isn't counting calories doesn't mean they're going to eat "all the junk food they want"

My instructions to the fat fucks on healthy food is what I call the "Perimeter rule"

You can eat as much as you want to satiety of any food that comes from the perimeter of the store along with some minor sensible exceptions.

i.e. Meat department, produce, dairy, and limited bakery grains. The only exceptions to the "Middle of the store is off limits rule" is frozen veggies, beans and rice, cooking oils, spices, and low sugar dressings.

In no shape way or form do I endorse the eating of "junk food" in any quantity. Cakes, sweets, candies, and sugar ladened crap is strictly off limits except for celebrations.

DO NOT fast for longer than two weeks, there's absolutely no point in going longer than that for metabolic symptom resolution.

If you're just trying to lose weight then you should be on an IF schedule with maybe a single day of fasting per week. You should be lifting heavy multiple times a week to put on muscle. The fat loss will come.

By fasting for such extended periods of time you introduce significant risks including refeeding syndrome which can quickly become deadly and has killed people.

Makes cutting easy as shit, I could eat 1000 cals a day and never get hungry. When I started doing IF after 2 cuts of just eating less I found I had the problem of not eating enough to hit a 1000 cal deficit because I was never hungry.

Before when I just ate less but with the same meal frequency I was hungry 24/7.

There's nothing hardcore about your fasting that makes it any more difficult than 16:8, you could fast for 16 hours or 3 days and you'll still not feel hungry.

The point is say goodbye to your muscle mass and athletic performance if you're going beyond like 22/2. I always make sure to work out about 2 hours after I eat pretty much my entire day's worth of cut calories and I can hit weights equivalent to the top of my bulk despite losing 3lbs per week from 15% bf.

When I tried longer fasts I dropped strength hardcore and had a fraction of the endurance as well for cardio.

I really hate posts like this where people act like the more extreme version of something is better just because they want to jack themselves off to how hardcore they are.

You're like the marathoner getting a knee replacement at age 40 talking down to all the healthy people running 5ks.

Fasting makes it easier to cut due to the fact you won't feel hungry, if you ate a 500 cal deficit by just eating like 6 small meals that would work just as well, except you'd still experience hunger. The laws of thermodynamics still apply to fasts.

There MAY be an increase in metabolism linked to fasting however I have 0 conclusive research on the topic and can find as many sources for as I can against.

You are an obvious retard and no one should listeb to your muh 48h fast advice,lmfao,16/8 is more than enough

If I ever feel like my gut is fucked up, I'll do a water fast for a day or two. No downsides, that's bullshit. Go to sleep and your not super hungry next day, just have discipline. What's also very good is extreme cutting. Sometimes I'll eat 400-800 calories in a day of good protien and fat (absolutely no starchy carbs)

I think the risks are overstated lots of people have gone way longer than 40 days

Make sure you're consistently employing the principles of progressive overload, if you stall then you're not eating enough.

yep

Whats yalls thoughts on doing cardio while fasted before my meal window on a 16/8 plan?
If I supplement BCAA and Glutamine before the cardio that would minimize muscle loss and I'd be ok right?

>The point is say goodbye to your muscle mass and athletic performance if you're going beyond like 22/2
Source, and no
>When I tried longer fasts I dropped strength hardcore
anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

>if you ate a 500 cal deficit by just eating like 6 small meals that would work just as well, except you'd still experience hunger.
Subjective. I hate not eating for half my waking hours, I hate binging all my calories in 2 meals and I also hate 6 bird size meals. I eat one meal when I wake up, one at 2-4 o clock and one at 8-10 o clock.
>There MAY be an increase in metabolism linked to fasting however I have 0 conclusive research on the topic and can find as many sources for as I can against.
Thank you for being honest.

>want to fast
>be a faggot with no spine

I do 16/8 fasting daily then on saturdays I eat shit and drink a lot then I do a fast lasting from sunday to monday noon.

Lets me be social,lean and have a full cheat day.

The catch is you have to fast

I occasionally do fasted cardio on a 16/8 window and I do HIIT. It fine as long as your deficit is reasonable and not excessive

>Just because someone isn't counting calories doesn't mean they're going to eat "all the junk food they want"
Is that what I fucking said?

Giving advice to your fat little brother doesnt make you an authority here, your made up "rules" is exactly what I said about having knowledge of macros. No need for you to be arrogant on this thread.

Also, you can overeat and get fat on any food, specially if you had eating problems in the past that made you fat in the first place.

A friend keeps telling me that fasting gets rid of loose skin from rapid weight loss. Is that true?