Please can we have a serious discussion about deadlift without people who absolute love it going mental

Please can we have a serious discussion about deadlift without people who absolute love it going mental.

Does anyone else think deadlift looks and feels unnatural ?

>even with perfect form you are bent over picking up a relatively huge weight
>the straightening of the back to stand up feels and looks like it puts huge strain on the lower back because of the massive weight held swinging in front of you, even if the motion of standing up is a natural
>so much weight constantly hinging on the lower back in a bending motion over and over

I PERSONALY don't do them and still have a great body over all, anyone else dropped them ?

Just a discussion, if you like and perform them well then fair enough, i feel in myself that they aren't worth the "risk" and don't feel like a very fluid movement.

What are your lads thoughts ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc
youtube.com/watch?v=TD5KfLVzxRo
youtube.com/watch?v=2ICpp6nXNS8
gravitus.co/clarence
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've caught the powerlifting bug so I make use of them. However, most of my deadlift work is spent on deficit deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts, two absolutely solid lifts which all lifters can benefit greatly from.

sumo feels way more natural.
>more upright
>utilizing more of your largest muscle
>center of weight closer to your body

I skipped deadlifts for a year but started doing them again because I feel like my back has gained enough strength to be comfortable doing them. I'll never push myself hard but they're fun to do.

>I PERSONALY don't do them and still have a great body over all
pics? I ask because I'm considering dropping them (might do trap bar instead, idk yet) since I don't compete and only lift for general strength and to look better. The gym for me is there to benefit my life, not cause issues

When I deadlift I struggle for the rest of the week with muscle stiffness no matter how much I stretch. Trap bar deadlifts are my go to deadlifts

>lift that targets mostly lower back
>omg guize i feel pressur on lower back when deadlifting am i doin it wrong

if you're feeling it mostly in your lower back, you're doing it wrong.
learn how to properly do them before bashing them.

I have good legs honestly not bs'ing, just dont have a full body pic

Olylifters dont deadlift either, as long as you can replace it with some posterior chain accessory (lighter pulls, ghr etc.) you wont need heavy DLs in your program unless you want to get into PL

Whats ghr?

>taking this forum seriously

Brehs how do I stop coming home from the bars and wanting to crush like 50 sets of deadlift while drunk?
I don't do them often otherwise, I feel like I'm gonna end up hurting myself lmao.

I got back into lifting earlier in the year, and have yet to incorporate DL in my workout. I work a physical job so any injury could cost me my meal ticket. If I do a lower weight what should I keep my rep range in.

lmao dude i love getting drunk too man haha lmao

If you're not competing or training to compete in powerlifting I don't see why would you do them.

>mfw i only do RDLs

Same here

daily reminder : deadlifts are a push excercise and depend mostly on your leg power (Unless of course, you have dogshit form, then it's hip extension and lower back)

>tfw been doing deadlifts wrong by trying to pull the weight instead of just pushing the ground down

>massive weight held swinging in front of you
what? how? there shouldn't be any daylight between bar and your legs

If you "push the ground" while doing them, you're doing them wrong. You should use hip extension using glutes and hamstrings, with quads useful only to help at the beginning and the end

I do deadlifts, I take great benefits from that exercise. I noticed that my ass looks now juicy as fuck, my posture is more upright and it is my strongest lift (figures). Never hurt my back.
But, if you find this exercise putting toll on your body, then ditch it. There are multiple of other movements that can give you all benefits of deadlift, like rack pulls, hip thrusts, etc

absolute favorite lift

this
if you're hurting from an exercise then just don't do it, find other movements that work for your body structure
for me, I just couldn't do a proper low bar squat even if my life depended on it. I switched to high bar and it made all the difference

this desu

DL is my favorite lift, feels great and has made my body better, but it is absolutely optional for a bodybuilding routine

that being said i wish more people did DLs, specifically normies, at low weight it's basically a therapy movement it's so good for you

Aaand here it is.

>This

>low weight
which is, say, 3pl8 and below?

Yeah i think you must still be doing something wrong, the weight shouldn't swing out in front. The bar should go pretty much straight up over the middle of your foot. If you have pain though, don't bother, not worth fucking up your back

Yo dog? You drink alcohol too! Let's meet up and drink haha so sick!
I'm self-aware enough to realize that drinking doesn't make me any more adjusted or grown up.
It was a topical comment about how I only have the urge to deadlift while drunk, and often overdo it.
Sorry to shit on your parade with my innocuous input Mr. Smug.

Glute hamstring raises i assume

I should have said hanging in front of you sorry

I do feel deadlift doeant quite work for me still though, whether thats through my own form or not.

Deadlift feels great to me, bench press feels like absolute shit.

unironically dropped them for rack pulls.
>less risk
>better for hypertrphy
>thicc broad upper back
>no thick waist

literally no reason to do deads in 2k17 if you lift for looks and not strength

DID SOMEONE SAY DEADLIFTING?!!!??!
I FUCKING LOVE THE DIDDLIES M8

BTFO NON-DIDDLY FAGGOTS
THIS THREAD IS NOW A DEADLIFT APPRECIATION THREAD

high rep romanian deadlifts are great for glute development

Merlin

There are a lot of under utilized variations. Personally Sumos feel much better and I pull more that way. I think it has to do with hip leverages.

Your back is the largest muscle though.

>bent over picking up weight
ironically doing this basic movement is how normies get back injuries. Building massive erectors from deadlifting helps protect from such things in day to day activities.

>strain on back
yeah, and bench pressing puts strain on the tiny shoulder capsule, but i'm sure you bench multiple plates without thinking about your rotator cuff health

>i personally don't do them
post a pic of your back

contrary to popular belief you don't just 'snap' your back from one back session, it's not like a knee joint or shoulder joint; if you injure your spine it's usually because of years of poor treatment building up.

If anything, proper form deadlifts will build your erectors and stabilizers to help prevent injury overall. It's actually one of the first lifts taught to old people getting in shape because the movement itself is so easy and natural.

Obviously less.

>>even with perfect form you are bent over picking up a relatively huge weight
you are not

Whats your chest routine?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc
>tfw he died deadlifting

Do some Jeffersons then

I still love the conventional deadlift but I did find Jeffersons to cause much less wear and tear on my body. No shin scrapes, no knee soreness, and if you're an ego lifter you can put more weight on it since it's right on your center of gravity.

I'd replace conventional deadlifts with them entirely if they used more hamstring.

My mom had some serious old lady back slouch and I had her do low weight deads, higher weight shrugs, and low weight facepulls for a few months. Now she has proper posture despite previously thinking it was a genetic thing from her asthma as she's had a slouch since she was like 20.

I want to do jefferson one day and regular DL another, but im afraid of looking like a retard while I get my form right. Do jeffersons hit your traps and back like a regular DL?

How do you consciously engage hamstrings and glutes? I have huge legs, it feels like the only available action for me at the bottom is to pull with my back.

midsection looks completely underdeveloped

>sumo

i found the pussy bitch everybody.

Don't bully lanklets.

At first I didn't like them and got frustrated but then I went back to them doing them 5x5 and went to over double the weight I was originally doing them at and found them much better. The bar doesn't roll around everywhere when heavier and now the movement just feels natural to me and right.

i dropped them last week. I felt like it was a constant battle with me and my spine, not my muscles. Even with good form.

I have long legs, short arms and severely retroverted hips. I have like 5 degrees of internal rotation at my hip and 190 degrees of external rotation. Just walking around I'm at the far inside of my hip ROM.

I can't even flex my hips past 90 degrees doing conventional deads because my femoral necks bump against my hip sockets. With spine neutral I'm a good foot short of the bar when my hips stop moving.

Sumo might as well be a half squat.

Fuck deadlifts.

Rounded low back = shit.

Yes, the only difference to me was less hamstring usage and you use more quad on your forward leg.

The form is incredibly easy because the lift is self-correcting, you just naturally end up doing it the way your body is best built to do it. If you were to just try it on a whim and you did some warmups you'd have the form down by the time you got to a working set.

It's pretty much shoulder width legs, forward leg pointing straight, rear leg with the toes pointing out like a squat, and shoulder width hand placement.

If you are weak in terms of rotation your serratus/low lat area in your back will be more sore than usual. It's a good lift to prevent tweaking your back in your day to day due to picking something light up while twisted a bit.

You can swap your forward leg each session, each set, or every few reps. This lift taught me that right leg forward is definitely dominant for me so I've focused on strengthening the other side, my regular dl got better due to it and it explained why the bar was always lower on the left side when I did conventional dls.

>midsection looks completely underdeveloped

Underdeveloped for what? Some bullshit FUNKSHINAL STRENG meme?

Fuck off rippletits

Xe has a cute face

U look gr8 dude no homosex

What exactly is the deadlift supposed to develop?
Lower back?
Seems like a very unaesthetic part of the body to focus on and would ruin your V shape??

Hamstrings and glutes are primary movers.
Quads are secondary movers.
Pretty much everything else is a stabilizer.

Just fucking do them.

Deadlifts feel unnatural to you because they're heavy on your lower back. Building a strong lower back will make you more athletic and your life easier as you won't experience back pain like most of the population working desk jobs. IMO it is the most natural lift because it's the one you're going to replicate the most in your daily life.

I've done deadlifta for years, can max a little over 5pl8, but I just realized I use my quads, not hamstrings. I haven't ever gotten shaky or hurt myself with this, did I discover the secret?

It's actually more natural than most movements, the only movement more natural are squats. Something like the bench press or any variant of row is a far, far more unnatural movement.

Don't do them much anymore after switching to weightlifting, but I have SGDL in deficit programmed once a week

Klokov and Clarence ;^)

Also plenty of lifters do snatch grip DL, which is harder on the lower back

>Please can we have a serious discussion about deadlift without people who absolute love it going mental.
Sure
>Does anyone else think deadlift looks and feels unnatural ?
No, the squat and the row do. Bench, OHP, DL and chinups all feel perfectly natural.
>>even with perfect form you are bent over picking up a relatively huge weight
I only feel "bent over" if my lumbar spine is flexed. If it's neutral (as it should be in a DL) or extended, it doesn't count exactly as "bent over" imo, more like "loaded spring trap"
>>the straightening of the back to stand up feels and looks like it puts huge strain on the lower back
It shouldn't if your form is right. Try engaging your lats, quads and glutes more.
>>because of the massive weight held swinging in front of you, even if the motion of standing up is a natural
It shouldn't be swinging a millimeter, use your lats
>>so much weight constantly hinging on the lower back in a bending motion over and over
The same argument can be made about literally any exercise and muscle group
>I PERSONALY don't do them and still have a great body over all, anyone else dropped them ?
Post erectors, not chest
>Just a discussion, if you like and perform them well then fair enough, i feel in myself that they aren't worth the "risk" and don't feel like a very fluid movement.
>What are your lads thoughts ?
I don't care if you do them or not, but your arguments are reflections of your poor form, which means if you fix it you may love them again.

It's not uncommon to program deadlifts for weightlifters, especially in more modern programs where we have finally realized that a stronger, more muscular athlete can generally lift more (surprising, I know)

They both don't deadlift in regular training is what I said. Clarence deadlifts once every few months for example. Same for Klokov, he obviously doesn't focus on his deadlift like some PL incel or you'd see him pull more than 350 instead of snatch grip DLs without leg activation

Also Martin seim

youtube.com/watch?v=TD5KfLVzxRo
youtube.com/watch?v=2ICpp6nXNS8
just because you saw olylifters max out a deadlift once doesn't mean they incorporate heavy deadlifts in their usual routine. Lighter pulls (compared to the respective DL 1RM) are far less taxing on the cns

See
Also, klokov deadlifts quite often. He even incorporates deadlift and variations several times a week in paid for programs

I am right, you are wrong ;*

OP what do you do as an alternative?

snatch grip deadlifts are done with far lower load than regular conv/sumo training though

Moving the goal posts. You started out by saying oly lifters don't DL and now it's suddenly that they don't do them that often

Not that much less. Again, see klokov for example.

read the post, heavy DLs is implied there faggot.
>hurr durr clean and snatch pulls are deadlifts now
and no, they aren't done regarding the actual goal of getting better at olylifts

Same there

I do snatch grip deadlifts and 4 inch deficit sumo
my traps are sick af
No power back pain
5 pl8s on both lifts
Just use straps so u can focus on form

he's not asking if he's doing it wrong he's pointing out that it's stupid to do it in the first place

he doesn't train close to his potential conventional max, and when you focus on e.g. snatch grip dls and barely do regular diddlys your "max" will be not too high above the variation value

How is it implied in your first post?

Klokov often pulls conventional tho

Wrong quote

See

in cf seminars at most
gravitus.co/clarence
feel free to roam through all those deadlift sessions

I know Clarence doesn't deadlift regulary. Doesn't change that fact that he does do them.

Anyway, this is getting a bit silly, so let's just drop it

Anybody have an idea?

It is still not entirely uncommon to program deadlifts for weightlifters. It is after all pretty much equivalent to a good morning.

>grip fails after 120 kgs

The only reason I don't deadlift. I feel like such a pussy for using mixed grip or straps. My grip hasn't improved at all in 2 years

Low bar squats.

You would love my area then. College town where like 60-70% of people do DL's and squats.

Im not the guy youre talking to, but youre the one whos making this silly. They dont deadlift for their training, they deadlift just for shits and giggles once a decade. They don't deadlift.

That shit made my posture ten times better. I don't see why stressing the muscle attachments would be bad provided you have a straight back. It's the same kind a stress a person would put on his biceps tendon were he to do curls. Are tendons not precisely designed for this purpose? Are we not supposed to rotate about our hip?

> (Unless of course, you have dogshit form, then it's hip extension and lower back)

Can bad form really impact the weight you can do? I am pretty big, 6'2 around 225 pounds and I have 3plt for both bench and squat yet the most I've gotten with DL is 345X4(which is also the highest I've gotten for squat too) and it was hard as fuck. I've wondered for a while now and maybe bad hip mobility has fucked with both squat and DL as I used to be a sedentary fatty and even though I lost weight, I never really worked too much on mobility though it is definitely better than it was before.

Wrong

Fuck you

you should be able to lock your upper body into a rigid position at the bottom with your legs bent significantly, then get the bar up past your knees using only your legs.

Your grip still improves when you use straps you dingus.

Mixed/Hook grip is for if you're specifically a competing powerlifter, you'll have the same grip strength regardless, it's just hook/mixed grip allow you to hold more weight in your hands using the same amount of grip strength.

Deadlifted for the first time in about a year today. Was fooling around testing my max, did 315*5 double overhand, then 365*3 double overhand, 385*2 double overhand, and then 405*1, 415*1 and 425*1 hook grip. 425 went up easy considering how much energy I wasted working so close to it.

I'm feeling 5 plate by the end of the year.

I forgot how fucking satisfying it is to be at the top of a heavy deadlift pull. Like you're looking down from atop a mountain.

>Does anyone else think deadlift looks and feels unnatural ?
Without commenting on whether or not it's a useful exercise, toddlers will pretty much default to a deadlift whenever they need to lift anything heavy (relatively speaking of course).
So it's hardly unnatural.