So, meatheads, you've been working out at the gym, but have you been also working out at the LIBRARY?

So, meatheads, you've been working out at the gym, but have you been also working out at the LIBRARY?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2 (1+2) = x
purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, grad school

1 easy

No I didnt, neither I was working out in the gym. Now fuck off with your facebook tier bullshit pic.

>9

What

brainlet

Can you solve this?

>6 / 2(3)
>6 / 6
>1

inb4 300 replies where people pretend not to know the order of operations because it's funnier to answer the question incorrectly and then have people reply to you actually thinking you're retarded and then you reply to them doubling down on your ruse causing extremely long arguments where you and many others who join in are entirely being facetious

>1

Oh so hilarious joke answer:
>9

this can be re written as follows:

6*(1+2)/2 = 3*3 = 9

phd in computer science

you are welcome

it is basically 6/2×(1+2)
first do the () then we get 6/2×3. then solve it from left to right.

grade 1 math
6/2 = 3
1+2 = 3
3(3) = 9

Yes I do.

1.) 6:2 = 3
2.) 3 *(1+2) = 3 + 6 = 9

pic related

No you idiots parentheses first

you solve it from left to right, so the answer is 9

wrong method, but correct answer

wrong, solve it from left to right, not right to left

phd in computer science is worth about as much as a high school diploma when it comes to actual math
fact is in actual math (note not computer science) this would never be printed as it's ambiguous - the division symbol should never be used precisely because it makes this kind of nonsense common
t. graduate student in math

becouse it is the one you must solve first brainlet

I play go and read philosophy for dem brain gains

My favorite philosopher to read is kierkegaard even if he is a complete faggot

In math major you just prove something exists. In comp sci major you want to compute what that exists.

probably, thats first semester at uni for any kind of stem
expect biology maybe

most computer """"scientists"""" know very little numerical analysis beyond looking up equations online
if you want some heavy numerical work done hire a mathematician, physicist or even engineer before you even consider a cstard

>not using ((6.*(1+2)).*0.5))

>t. never had complexity theory

>PAREN
>EXPONENT
>MULTIPLY
>DIVIDE
>ADD
>SUBTRACT

US stupid maths: 1
UK superior maths: 9

maybe this makes it easier for some of you

>most computer """"scientists"""" know very little numerical analysis beyond looking up equations online
Somewhat true, but I can imagine in cryptography that is not entirely true.
>before you even consider a cstard
Sounds like you're a little upset that you can only get a job as a contract prof with that math degree.

No. I have better things to expand my mind with

PIGGGLE REC~
XDDDDDD

Okay so in my country, we use the orthodox method which means we use BODMAS(brackets, orders, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction).
The equation 6÷2(1+3) in my country goes:
6÷2 (1+2)
6÷2 (3)
Now the difference comes betweem countries with different systems. In some it becomes 6÷6 (orthodox) and in other 6÷2×3.
In orthodox brackets must be eliminated first. Meaning the multiplication of the bracket needs to be done first, in both you do left to right.

So 1 is correct in the orthodox way and 9 is correct in the new way (USA now uses that).

6/2 (1+2) = x
6/2 (3) = x
3 (3) = x
9 = x

Proof
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2 (1+2) = x

no that makes it wrong. Fraktion means (6)/(2*(1+2)) wich would equal 1.
here it's 6/2*(1+2) so it's
=3*(1+2)
=3*3
=9

6/(2(1+2)) so a new question

>thread made about a math question made with purposefully bad & confusing notation
>LOLOL I am better in elementary algebra
Stop

In math, you prove a formal system is internally consistent.

Is that why wolfram alpha gives the definite answer of 9? Because in your quest to absorb mathematical formalism you've forgotten the basic shit about arithmetical rules they taught you in grade school?

this type of notation is the only one used in real math
the division symbol makes it ambiguous whether the (1+2) is supposed to come below the line or to the left which is why your editor would throw your article in the trash before printing the garbage in op
and math professors penalize you for turning in retarded ambiguous notation

>I can imagine in cryptography that is not entirely true
for application purposes you don't need to know much about cryptography to use it
the algorithms are known and public and any monkey can code them
>Sounds like you're a little upset that you can only get a job as a contract prof with that math degree.
I interned at a major auditing company and probably have a job with them once I graduate so I'm not overly worried

literal high school math

In my country we have the rule "Punkt vor Strich" wich means you do / and * before + and -. Other than that you go from left to right

Clearly common core level.

I think it's 1.
But all I do nowadays is rule of three and basic equations.

I know very well which answer calculators will give you
people are not calculators though and we care more about preserving the notions of clarity and being able to manipulate expressions independently of order than caring about this nonsense

if you're still worrying about that you have never studied actual math
3-1 is just shorthand for 3+(-1) and ÷ is shorthand for a division bar (the dots above and below stand for the numbers above and below) which is the same as multiplying by a fraction so they're resolved in the same step

I don't know what you ameritards do but this actually was high school math for me.

>has never studied math
>thinks complexity theory is serious math

The average professor in subjects other than math has the mathematical maturity of somewhere around a middling math undergrad. A physics prof I knew was proud he had gotten past a 300-level analysis class during post-grad. Even math-ed people had to take that class. Those are the people who teach math to elementary school students.

it will be always greater than 1/2

im too lazy to do it for n+1

wat I'm the math student sperging all over this thread but physicists definitely need to know real math
differential geometry is a foundation of general relativity and abstract algebra is used all over quantum physics
generally they don't cover those subjects as rigorously as actual mathematicians but they definitely need to have solid grasps of these subjects

this is true. i'm in a statistics grad program at an ivy and i've only ever taken watered-down real analysis. you honestly don't need that much pure math if you're going to do anything other than being a math professor.

No that completely changes the problem

Clearly not since all calculators give the same answer for a very good reason. You know fuck-all about conventions surrounding order of operations. That many other people are pig ignorant about this as well doesn't mean the answer is ambiguous, retard.

>and ÷ is shorthand for a division bar
no division bar means ()/()

It's 5 you idiots.
6/2*1 + 2

Or possibly 33
6/3 = 3
1+2= 3
Add them together you get 33

BEDMAS

Brackets, Exponents, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction.

So first you solve for whats in the brackets.

you end up with 6 ÷ 2(3)

now you only have division and multiplication left. Because there is no bracket signifying what is being applied to the ÷ symbol, you must assume that only the 2 makes up the divisor.

so it becomes (6/2)*(3)=(3)*(3)= 9

6 divided by (2 times 1 is 2, 2 times 2 is 4, so 4 plus 2 is...) 6

Brackets being first means you solve what's in the brackets first. The problem becomes 6/2*3 which is not 6/(2*3).

This is really bad notation man

I do research in algorithms, I build efficient algorithms by using math. I don't need you know anything more than what I already know to come up with more efficient algorithms and publish papers.

what can you do with your math other than shit posting here on Veeky Forums?

computers were a mistake
I dare you to try and find this kind of notation in any math texts above high school level that are not about how to use computers
pro tip you can't because the notation is inherently retarded and never used because of its ambiguity

They don't. They need shit like combinatorics and basic tensors to do applied work, and maybe some real and complex analysis for theoretical work, but even then they're not really doing much math.

>I don't need you know anything

I don't need to know*

fucking hangover...

Answer is unironically 9, 6/2(3) is 9. There’s nothing signifying you gotta make 2(3) 6. Unless I’m fucking retarded

Where you had to prove for n+1? What country?

>this is confusing Veeky Forums

Like I said in orthodox you need to elimate the multiplication given by the bracket

>all this bitching
kek just won an internet argument against a wannabe geek

American education at work.

Your inability to learn the order of operations correctly doesn't mean they're ambiguous. 6/2(2+1) = 6/2*(2+1) = 6/2*3 = 3*3 = 9

This is the sort of question they'd ask to make sure you understood the basic rules of order of operations. But in elementary school.

What can I do with my math? Give you a place to go when you run out of ideas for your algorithms.

no you just showed you know nothing beyond math beyond making shitty python scripts and plugging into wolframalpha
and for what it's worth this is not resolved the same by all calculators, since the notation is ambiguous and programmers have to improvise

and in elementary school they also teach you you can't do 1-3, if you don't know anything about math then why are you commenting?

>interned
>probably

Nigga, I was in the 98th salary percentile in my country at 24. CS is a god-tier degree.

2(2+1) is just (2*2+2*1) factored out
so 6/2(2+1) is 6/(4+2)
which is 1
a factor in front of brackets means the insides must be multiplied with said term

>using /
>not using *()^-1

You can't do 1-3 without negative numbers, which they haven't taught people at that point.

Totally different thing than notational convention.

No. 6/2*3 is 6*(1/2)*3

the area of algorithms is huge, immense, I have no words to describe it

and apparently you have absolutely no idea about what I am talking about.

actually correct, if you can't do division bars this is the correct way
math notation guides recommend that "flat" division symbols should never be used which is why you'll never see them beyond high school level

I was 99th percentile in income in the world working as a fast food manager in the US in high school. Nobody cares.

what is order of operations?

Algorithms are a tiny subset of math.

You are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

notational convention (as followed by actual mathematicians, engineers, physicists, etc. basically everyone who uses math beyond plugging into a calculator) says this notation should not be allowed in the first place m8

Oh no someone proper wrote out the problem! The humanity of being clear and not the chuklefuck joke that is OPs problem.

Because idiots like you who didn't learn the difference between 6/2*3 and 6/2/3 in elementary school get confused. Not because there's no way of dealing with the notation in an unambiguous way.

>numerical analysis
>numerical methods for fluids
>numerical methods for differential and partial differential equations
>linear and nonlinear optimization
>applied statistics

You need algorithms for basically any applied mathematics across all fields of maths and science

P E M D A S
E
M
D
A
S

have fun convincing every single person who actually writes and reads a lot of math that they're all wrong because your teacher in the 3rd grade taught you differently

>numerical methods
Seriously? You're quoting "we can't solve it algebraically, so we'll fake it with numerical estimation" at me as if it were serious math? That shit is what you do when you *can't* do the math.

Applied math is also a tiny subset of math. And algorithms are a tiny subset of applied math as well.

do you have a better source than an old calculator?

>doesn't know the difference between notational conventions and writing style recommendations

Singapore

P 1+2 = 3
E none
(the rule for multiplication and division is work left to right, division appears first)
M 3 x 3 = 9
D 6 / 2 = 3
A done
S none

From what I've been taught and can recall the answer, therefore, is 9. But, I'm probably wrong because I fucking hate math.

All you've proved is some programmers are idiots who can't tell the difference between 6/2/3 and 6/2*3.

better source for what? the fact that the notation is retarded and never used? the fact that these "standards" were made up because programmers didn't want to show an error (as they should) when people put these things into their calculators? the fact that there is more to math than what you teach 7 year olds?

No, you're completely right. See proof above

If you even honor this stupid facebook-tier crap with a response, you are a brainlet.

"Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This listing tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and multiplication and division outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). In other words, the precedence is:

Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)ExponentsMultiplication and Division (from left to right)Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)

When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance,15 ÷ 3 × 4is not15 ÷ (3 × 4) = 15 ÷ 12, but is rather(15 ÷ 3) × 4 = 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division sign first.

>purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

These standards were made up so that such notation would be actually unambiguous.

6/2*3 is still not 6/2/3.

I'm on team answer 1

reversed