Going out on a limb asking FIT this...

Going out on a limb asking FIT this, but I'm so bored of lifting I'm contemplating a rock climbing gym membership to lean out, improve flexibility, and improve cardio. Anyone done this? Thoughts? I'm 5' 11" and right at 200 lbs. I know climbing is a thin man's sport, so it's a little intimidating. It's just time for a change...

Other urls found in this thread:

nicros.com/training/treating-climbers-elbow-medial-epicondylitis/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you really want to drop down to 165 from 200 just so you can climb a rock? keep lifting and just screw around on the boulder rocks imo

What exactly are you asking for? If you want to try it go do it. You don't have to make a choice lifting or climbing. Climbing is a lot of fun especially if you can go with someone who can belay for you. If you're strong and do come pull ups you don't have a problem until you hit the more difficult routes.

Honestly, wouldn't mind losing some mass as long as I get healthier in the process. My arms fall asleep at night and I'm a bit of a stiff bulky fuck.

I'm asking if climbing alone can be a well rounded workout - strength, flexibility, cardio. I have tried it but feel like my technical skills at this point aren't high enough to really make a good judgement. Just a lot of falling and floundering.

It can be, but if you're overweight the amount of climbing you can actually do is limited. imo it would be better to continue lifting, practice more bodyweight, get leaner, and go climbing once every week or two.

I can see that. Thx.

Climbing is hard if you're heavy. You'll never be a great climber unless you're stupidly lean and just strong enough to do the occasional big move you need to.

I used to climb a shitload and my strength helped me but my grip was always exploded.

I bouldered a lot back in the days. You get "massive" forearms and back. Aka, the look huge in comparison to the rest of your body. The risk of injury on the ozther hand is way higher with climbing/bouldering. I constantly had teared ring-bands in my fingers, my forearms cramped all the time. I had to go to the physio-therapist multiple times because of my hardened back-muscles. Also, I broke multiple bones and dislocated/luxuated some joints. It was fun nevertheless. Keep in kind, that it is a very explosive sport and to be really good at it, you have to maximise your bodyweight/strength-ratio. Aka, you have to become a skinny motherfucker. Your metabolism will be good though. The rest will be fucked up.

Heavy = > 70kg (155lb)? Or what?

The optimal weight depends on your height. For 5'11 it should be around 60kg. Every extra kg will be hard to lift.

I'm like 5'11 200lbs and it was tough. Great climber I knew was like 5'9 and 145. Always lead all our routes for us because I always had to rest because my grip was shot.

Jeeezus. My bones weigh more than 60kg. I'd never be an elite climber but maybe I need to rethink this as a form of real exercise

People over dramatize the weight aspect. OP you won't be a world cup climber anways, so don't worry. I have a big guy climbing in my gym (like 28%bf and a solid 95-100kg) and he can climb well enough to be respected, get fit and have a lot of fun. If you want to loose weight you need to eat less. With less weight climbing is easier but for amateurs it isn't like you can't be fat and climb anyways. Heck, there are 60 year olds in my gym who do very good.

>there's more to life than lifting

You have to be pretty strong in the first place though to be fat and climb. If you have trouble holding your own weight or doing pull ups it's going to be a frustrating experience

You should do it if for no other reason than it is fun

I can do 5 chin ups. How hard will rock climbing be? How much do you use your legs?

lol. I'm 5'6 70kg and I climb 5c within a year in the sport. Climbed some 6s too, but only as a second.

Long time climber here

A massive portion of climbing, especially overhung, is all in the legs. Technique and good leg work will take you farther than muscling your way up wit your upper body

The way I put it: hands are anchors and legs are what propel you upwards

OP,
Bouldering is more akin to HIIT. Sport climbing is closer to cardio. I used to be heavy too (5’9” 210lbs) and it’s really hard on the finger joints. I constantly broke holds and rotated them as well. You can definitely use it for exercise but it’s mainly pulling. If you pull too much without working the pushing motions you will become prone to muscular imbalances and joint injuries will start to pop up because of it. Make sure to work the pushing muscles to keep things balanced.

Find yourself a gym with an auto belay so you can start building finger strength without needing a belay Slavs. Bouldering is too hard for you at the moment and I’d highly suggest you don’t do it until you’ve been climbing with a harness for at least half a year (ligaments/tendons take long to get stronger)

Have fun with it. Pay attention to others. Learn proper gym ettiquete.

I have two hours to kil before work so ask away

I have found the pros have a weight to height ratio of 2:1.

Thanks user. One of my big questions is whether or not climbing will result in well-rounded fitness (akin to cross fit; without starting that debate). From your response, it sound like it will not, and needs to be supplemented with other forms of working out.

No, climbing is more of a fun sport than a fitness ability improver. You do have to be fit to climb strong but technique always triumphs fitness. Think of all the pro climbers. They’re fit, sure, but because they train a lot with other things. If you look at dirt bag climbers who only climb, they’re some skinny, lanky ass motherfuckers.

I supplement my climbing by running, strength training and riding my bike. Inversely, climbing does not really carry over to them.

If you climb a lot, you will surely lose weight just because of the additional energy expenditure (as long as you keep your cal in in check).

Like others said, you will develop a strong set of pulling muscles but like I said before the other muscles will take a hit and commence atrophying.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record lol

Not a broken record at all. Guess I won't be ditching the gym entirely. Thanks for the input.

wtf those are my stats 5'11.5 @ 194lbs

So a 5'11" guy would weigh 1022 lbs!?

You’re welcome

You can most definitely substitute it for your cardio.

Use strength training to get strong as fuark and on your off days, climb for an hour. It’s super fun and when I did it recreationally it was a great way to get my cardio done. You just have to climb during the sesh continously so your heart rate doesn’t drop done too much. If you can climb constantly without socializing too much (you’ll see in the gyms how everyone climbs one problem once every five minutes and then sit and chat with their friends) then it’s totally a viable way to get your cardio done.

Now I’ve focused on climbing and since then I have to run, cycle, and train often and hard to git gud

I just finished prepping for this big comp that’s gonna go down on the 21st. I’ll be competing in the open category and be chasing a $10000 cash purse. Wish me luck!

Try it for a month, seriously. Take a ropes course and a how to climb class so you can learn all the beginner moves

It’s crazy but climbing doesn’t come to everyone naturally. There is an art to it. Don’t get discouraged if you can’t climb easy problems. It took me over two years before I started becoming a proficient climber. When I was your weight, I was stuck at v2’s (a bouldering grade, pretty easy grade) for the longest time. Don’t give up! Just keep at it. Your finger strength will the the thing holding you back the longest but once they start catching up, climbing really opens it doors to you. Find people and have them take you outdoors. That’s where the real fun is at. Indoors is great but it’s mostly a training tool or a place for normies to go after work. But if you can do weekend getaways then fuck yeah you’ll burn all kinds of calories hiking and climbing and you’ll have a blast doing it.

Just give it a solid month attempt and you’ll definitely fall for it. Climbing saved my life. I was in a bad place when I started climbing and now it’s set me on track.

Lb to inch ratio. Sorry, should have clarified.

It's probably a pretty typical (average) profile for a dude. Maybe slightly taller and heavier than most. Idk.

Dumping some pics

Good luck on your quest. It sounds like you have a cool story behind your experience!

I dont think arms falling asleep is that serious, that shit started for me when I hit 70kg bodyweight already

Thanks! Yeah it’s been quite a ride!

Arma falling asleep happened all the time when I was at 210 lbs. seems to happen quite often.

THAT SHIT REALLY FUCKING HURTS YOUR TENDONS

I HAD INSANE TENDON PAIN IN MY LEFT ARM FOR 2 MONTHS AFTER CLIMBING A FEW TIMES

BE CAREFUL NIGGA

I STOPPED BECAUSE IT WAS REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING

IT MIGHT BE BECAUSE I WAS ON A CUT THOUGH, AND HEALED REALLY SLOW

Wait into you're over 90kg. That shit will wake you up at night. Actually, don't wait. Start stretching or change your workouts

Ayyy lmao

Happens easily if you climb too hard to fast. It happens often to fit guys who try climbing and can pull hard easily. Recipe for disaster

I was doing the level 3 things in my 2nd go, so that might be why

thanks for the posts my dude

V3 for a beginner is pretty good. Especially if you’re muscualar. V3s you start seeing a lot of crimps that force you in the supination position which just begs to fuck your shit up.

You got it, my guy

Yeah I probably fucked my left wrist pulling too hard with a difficulty grip

Also I was finishing tracks (whatever you call them) in sub-optimal ways just forcing myself up without using the legs

It took really long to heal and I'm afraid of starting again

If you still have the occasional pain, I’d suggest this:

nicros.com/training/treating-climbers-elbow-medial-epicondylitis/

Captcha: summit policía

Oh your wrist you say?

I have a similar injury to my right wrist. That’s been the only one that’s stayed. Two years later and i still can’t do certain motions. Shit sucks and is aggravating.

I haven’t healed but that hasn’t stopped me from climbing. I just avoid that specific movement and warm up real good before hitting any higher difficulty.

Wrist supports work wonders too.

OP here. My expectations for getting any real advice or insight were low, but you all kick ass. I didn't mention that I'm 45. Not sure if that's a factor.

Bro,

Become a trad daddy and get all the bitches haha.

All the old guys (no offense) climb solely on ropes (I’m guessing because bouldering is too hard on yir knees since every fall is a ground fall) but these guys climb hard on rope.

Google trad daddy and become one of them. ;)

You’ll get all the sexy chicks after you. Especially if you got a dad bod. Nothing sexier to naive sluts than a well seasoned dude doing some crazy shit on ropes

Ha ha. Sounds great but I gave up chasing girls for a family life a loooong time ago and never looked back. Can't say it's not fun to think about....

Want to get into climbing but I'm tall and heavy :(

Get stronger faggot.