Unironically do rubber weights weigh less than steel ones...

Unironically do rubber weights weigh less than steel ones? I just switched gyms and the new one has rubber weights and all my lifts have increased by 10 pounds. Either they amount stated is a lie, or having 2-3 rest days during moving allowed me to beat all my lifts in 1 day after working out daily for a month.

Yes because metal is heavier than rubber.

>mfw

i use diamond dumbbells because they are the heaviest metal

>mfw I use dumbbells made out of feathers because it makes me look like I'm lifting a lot

ironically good joke
unironically the stupidest sentence ever put together

ye i unironically use diamond dumbbells faggot deal with it

Sometimes (but rarely) uncalibrated plates are heavier than they're supposed to be. By "rubber weights" I assume you mean weightlifting discs, which are calibrated.

Not to put too fine a point on it but it is denser. So on the atomic level there is less space between atoms of a metal material. Thus this accounts for the ease which OP is able to move the rubber weights.

We could get into the wind resistance/air pressure differences as well but I don't want to nerd out on you guys.

>This.

I've had the same experience. I went on a trip to visit my in-laws, and worked out at the gym near house, which had rubber weights. It felt like I had gotten stronger overnight. The whole time I was there it felt awesome. As soon as I came back to my normal gym with metal weights, my weights dropped the same amount they went up while I was away.

R / IAmVerySmart
U N D E R G R A D
N
D
E
R
G
R
A
D

no material is heavier than the other, only denser.

Only thing I can think of that would actually make the plates different weights is either increased wear and tear in one kind (probably rubber) or one/both kinds not being calibrated

If you havent had a rest day for a month and now took 3, that seems more likely to have made a difference

OP clearly is the most dense of them all amiright xDdDD

>Thinking postgrad is ever worth it
>BA in Sociology
>Making 85k in analytics
>Only out of school for a year

Hows life in NYC and your apartment?

>10 pounds of rubber are heavier than 10 pounds of steel

this is you op

>Apartment
>Not living at home until you have the income history to support you getting a mortgage
>Not commuting

I don't about NYC man, but things are panning out pretty nicely for me.

>smuggle in metal pl8s inside gym bag
>when employees not looking, put them on the bar
>loft and get forbidden gains right under their noses

Stay mad natties

A barbell is heavier than a dumbbell of the same weight because of the weight distribution over length.

??
There is no noticeable difference in terms of how hard it is so lift it between "rubber" and metal plates.

If you hold the barbell in its centre then it's not heavier than a dumbbell of same weight

Top kek

That's supposed to be a joke, you fucking moron. Torque /= weight.

Topkek
>and I know what I’m talking about. I study physics

The plate will always be heavier, as another user pointed out.

>Counting the bar

What fucking joke? Your post is completely unrelated to the OP, doesn't reference any other post in the thread, contains a picture that shows basic yet correct science and text talks about some arbitrary physics that are, as mentioned, unrelated to what OP asked.

How'd you land a job in analytics?

but steels heavier than rubber?

Even if it is just put on more weight.

He got a BA in sociology which I don't know if you know this but it's super hard.

/sarcasm

He's probably a Jew.

Who is that?
Asking for a friend

>implying anyone would ever seriously say he uses weights made out of diamond

how retarded are you

There was a brief period where I was going to two different gyms.

>Gym A: More of a "powerlifter" gym. Rubberized weights.

>Gym B: More of a "normie" gym, different brand of weights but they still had some sort of plastic coating on them.

At gym A, I could consistently bench 205 5x5.

At gym B, I *failed* to hit 185 5x5 on multiple occasions.

The only variable I could tell that was different, the bar at Gym B was thicker. So maybe it affected my grip? I did put the bar on a scale and confirmed it was 45 pounds. (Gym A didn't have a scale, so I couldn't confirm, but the bars looked pretty standard.)

its cause u used to go to a shitty gym where the 45's actually weigh more cause theyre cheap

No, Olympic plates are rubber but they are extremely accurate in their weight

Normal chain gyms will never buy Olympic plates because they are expensive and will end up being improperly used by dumbass braggers which will chip them all the time

Even sellers tell you economic plates have a +/-10% differential in the reported weight, so it really depends on the brands and built quality, which affects both rubberized and cast iron. Steel plates have less, like +/-5%. Just Google your gyms plate brand to figure out their reported values, or try and get a scale to measure them

45 lbs of rubber is less dense than 45 lbs of steel. So the former is easier to pick up off the ground and stop and go. They weigh the same but react differently to the force of your pull.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA fukken capped