Decided to finally upgrade from bodyweight to metal today and went to the gym for the first time after lurking here for...

>Decided to finally upgrade from bodyweight to metal today and went to the gym for the first time after lurking here for two years and rereading the sticky 6 times
>Entered the gym, saw a million incomprehensible machines and people who knew what they were doing
>Milled around for 2 minutes, realized that I have no idea what I'm doing and left

Fuck.

I hate this. I wish I had a workout buddy that knew what they're doing

Lol its not hard, u do compounds u dumb baby shits.

Go back when it's empty and check out every single machine they have, figure out how they work, and decide what you're gonna use. Machines are GREAT for new guys as you can't fuck up

ignore the machines, at least for now. do barbell lifts. the machines are still confusing and weird to me until I've used them a couple times, but the difference is I don't care anymore how I look trying to figure some shit out because I have enough confidence from lifting that I feel like I "belong" in the gym. it's the difference between experimenting with a new thing in a comfortable environment versus feeling out of place and awkward

anyway just do whatever beginner program, doesn't matter. the important thing is when you walk in the doors you should already know exactly what exercises you're doing, in what order, and what weight and volume. this helps immensely to get you past "uhhh what the fuck do I do" and into "ok, I'm here at the thing I'm going to do, how do I do it".

you'll feel retarded and clumsy the first few times but it doesn't really matter. what I did was do a set, then refer back to the guide I was using, identified one specific thing I thought I was doing wrong, then the next set focused on doing that one thing better. rinse and repeat until you iron out your major problems. you will get better and feel more confident quickly. the most important thing is to have a clear plan every single workout, do something that has you repeating the same small set of movements rather than fucking around with a ton of different things, and only pay attention to improving some aspect each time

t. autist

Thanks for the advice user, I appreciate you writing this.

np man, we were all there once. good luck

You must continue to return until you are comfortable. I literally turned around and started to walk out like you did, back when I first went, but on the way out I stopped and told myself it was now or never. It has made all the difference. You have to take the first step son.

The only machine I use is for my calves lol

>What is google
>What is youtube
Dude lmao just lookup exercise guides on bodybuilding.com if you're a beginner

Look up bench form, squat form, deadlift form and OHP form. Go into the gym armed with knowledge, and do them.
You'll have points where you're the only person in the gym and can try other things out yourself.

You sound like a genetic dead end. I'm not talking about your physical condition. I'm talking about how weak of mind you are. I know 2 year olds with more will and determination. Stop choosing the path of inaction because you're scared that somebody might notice you. Are you a mouse or a man? Physically you're a man, now have some fucking conviction about it.

im sure you can ask any employee of the gym for a tour, especially the ones who took your money for the membership

When I went to the gym you can ask either the instructor or just google how the machine works. NO instead your just someone that gives up like the pussy you are.

you dont need any other machine than occasional rowing / ergometer for cardio needs

learn how to squat bench deadlift and progress from there
should take you about few months to figure it all out

Just youtube the basic compound excercises and read a bunch. Ofc you dont know what to do its like if you walked into a kitchen for the first time without seeing a knife before.

If you are doing something wrong. People more often then not will help you and show you how to do it. Just don't take offense in them telling you what you are doing wrong.

do people in the gym help you if you ask them?

I want to go to the gym and just do meme butt exercises so I can get a big butt.

But I don't wanna be that roastie that only works on her butt.

What do?

Do what u want to

all the girls at my gym do this and I do not mind at all. or you could just do a balanced program

how the hell do you lurk for two years and still not lift? if youre really that autistic walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes while you scope the place out.

Perhaps you could be the roastie that killed herself?

You browsed fit for 2 years but you didn't download and read the best beginner instruction on weight lifting that is ever created the one and only Starting Strength?

I am really disappointed in you.

Read Starting Strength and Practical Programming. Congratulations you are now more knowledgeable then 95% of the fitness community on weight lifting.

I'll let you in on a secret: don't use machines.

There. I just streamlined your gym experience.

Here's what you do, step by step:

Babby's first gym day
>pick a routine, preferably one designed by somebody else that is well attested (e.g., SS, SL, GSLP, Candito LP, etc.)
>look up YouTube tutorials on how to perform the free weight exercises in those routines
>have a list of exercises to do before your enter the gym (notebooks work, most use smart phones)
>follow your list and do the exercises

Wow! You've joined the club of people who know what they're doing!

Reddit

Spacing

Reddit

Smugness

Absolutely disgusting