Stoicism looks way too similar to Buddhism to be a coincidence. Though we can trace stoic ideas to Greek roots...

stoicism looks way too similar to Buddhism to be a coincidence. Though we can trace stoic ideas to Greek roots, I'm certain the Buddhists living near the Mediterranean likely were an influence.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrho#Indian_influences_on_Pyrrho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrho#Indian_influences_on_Pyrrho
Phyrro went to India with Alexander and studied Indian religion/philosophy there for ~18 months. Although it might not be Buddhism, but a general sramana(jainism/buddhism/ascetics) ideology itself.

The book called Shape of Ancient Thoughts also notes this but also says many of the core pre-socratic philosophers were influenced by Indian work that also influenced the later Greeks. This was done under when Persian empire controlled both parts of the India/Greeks and utilized greek soldiers and indian soldiers in each other's campaigns. As well as the usual traders sharing knowledge/religion to the locals.

Both are Aryan philosophies.

Study Jung, Campbell, and philosophical perennialism

pseuds: the thread

they're very different, you're retarded

>they're very different, you're retarded

Never said they were identical. But they overlap heavily.

Except Buddhism is about withdrawing from public life because all temporal living is essentially evil, and Stoicism is all about devoting yourself to public life for the virtue of the soul and universal macrocosm.

The early Greek stoics were politically quietist

Stoicism is semitic

>Zeno of Citium (/ˈziːnoʊ/; Greek: Ζήνων ὁ Κιτιεύς, Zēnōn ho Kitieus; c. 334 – c. 262 BC) was a Hellenistic thinker[3] from Citium (Κίτιον, Kition), Cyprus, and probably of Phoenician descent.[4] Zeno was the founder of the Stoic school of philosophy

Attached: E93475C6-2215-4B70-89D4-B350B45362ED.jpg (867x1280, 347K)

Had you said Epicureanism, op, you might have had an argument. Stoicism and Buddhism have barely anything in common.

Xeno was himself Semitic only racially. Culturally and ethically he was quite hellenic.

That's because they were outsiders and intrusive to the dominant philosophies of the time. Later Greek and all Roman stoics were heavily involved in the established order.

They had similar attitudes in regards to not being slaves of external factors (wealthy, physical pleasure, etc) and defending a wholesome life, but yeah, they have plenty of differences.

Isnt this what Peterson is talking about?

Attached: 1519766897823.jpg (1280x720, 159K)

The whole idea of ataraxia is similar to enlightenment too. The change in life of phyrro reflects what Buddhists/sramana/ascetics/gymnosophist do on their day to day life.

I think when Phyrro went to India he either missed the point about meditation or rather applied the features of meditation (non-judgmental awareness) to his philosophy.

And yet you had to post. What does that make you?

Only their definition of the problem is the same. The way they go about solving it is almost a polar difference.

The difference is stoicism basically says play the hand you're dealt with a stiff upper lip and dignity. Buddhism on the otherhand says ideally you shouldn't actively do anything but just continuously modify your preferences until your current state meets your ideal.

I always thought so too. Bump for interest.

>Hellenistic thinker
There you have it.
>probably Phoenician
I don't even want to open that can of worms, but

Attached: Lebanese_Aryan_qt.jpg (512x382, 42K)

what you and most westerners think of buddhism is actually inspired only by stoicism
A C T U A L buddhism is far different and almost completely incomparable

>Westerners cant understand Buddhism

What is actual Buddhism though? There's many sects with vastly different beliefs.

not what i said dumbass
westerners can understand buddhism, but it isn't like stoicism. all buddhism sects are largely united by the commonalities of buddhahood as well as what limits an individual from achieving it
at the very least you could compare stoicism to japanese zen "" buddhism"" which is basically dollar-store participation award buddhism

>I'm certain the Buddhists living near the Mediterranean likely were an influence.
you mean like the ethnically greek kingdom in central asia that practised buddhism?

Zeno himself was a pupil to the famous cynic philosopher Crates of Thebes, and Stoicism has its roots in Cynicism.

Yeah the original Stoics were pretty shitty anarchists. Rome straightened them out, though.

>Zeno
>Zen
>Zen Buddhism
at last I truly see

Ok buddhist, answer this question how are you sure there is reincarnation,Karma and other bullshit. Can you not grasp the concept of eternity, omnipotence etc