How come some countries choose to have inflated currencies even after their economies are strong...

How come some countries choose to have inflated currencies even after their economies are strong? Like 1 USD is still over 100 Yen. How come they don't just add a decimal in somewhere?

I have no idea how economics work.

Attached: jessicababyfat_12394045_545764985589199_1965198071_n.jpg (1080x1350, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Principles-Economics-Mankiws/dp/0538453052
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because having a strong currency doesn't make you richer.

Doesn't it start to get a little goofy when little things cost 1000 yen or 20,000 dongs?

Thats just the way it is man dont question the system

If Americans can handle a national debt of $21039108045933 I'm sure the world can also handle big numbers.

Having an "inflated" currency is good for exports (but bad for imports). Which is beneficial to an export driven economy like Japan or China.

I don't understand the economics of it really, but it's a common wisdom I've heard. Something like: if $500 buys a shit TV in your country, then you're going to have hard time selling your state of the art locally produced new TV brand abroad, since an endurable $1,000 TV is maybe $1,400 in exchange rate. If your local commodities are shit priced, relative to the world, then people will love to import them over their local produce so long as the drop off in quality isn't severe.

Its because China is largely an exporting country which means they want their products to be cheap.

>can't work with numbers with more than three places
American education, everyone.

I'm just saying it seems pointless to have that many zeros when it's just an arbitrary number to relate values you dumb europoor

Say what you will, but they don't have to worry about pennies or shillings or farthings.

The world is not a perfect zero-sum game, but its close enough.

So if you can undercut your opponent, you will net the profit. It might be bit less than the if your opponent didn't exist, but if your opponent won, then you won't have any.

>lmao why the fuck 100 US cents cost 100 yen kek?

>people in this thread
kek, yall should stick to history and not try amswering something you dont know jack shit about

Check out this cool dude. I bet he knows all kind of things. Super impressive.

>Veeky Forums
>knowing shit about history

It's costly and logistically complicated to change

China's isn't even that bad though. It's Japan and Korea that have the crazy ones

>The world is not a perfect zero-sum game, but its close enough.
If the world were close to a zero-sum game, we would still be stuck in the stone age.

Retard.

The process of inflation is what hurts a currency. if a currency has hyper-inflated up to a point but stays where it is, so long as the economy hasn't imploded everything readjusts to the new normal.

It's weirder with currencies that are not so valuable. Consider the Philippines Peso, which is currently sitting at 52 to the dollar. 1 Peso is worth 100 centimo's, which is the most worthless coin one could possibly hold.

M8 I'm with him. There's a point where having 1,000,000 dong in your pocket is kinda funny.

You realise that 100 yen is equivalent to 100 cents right?

They just don't bother with decimals, I don't think they had the mathematical concept of them pre-Meiji.They're no much weaker than the USD in practical terms.

You realize that a yen is more of the equivalent to the dollar right?

>I have no idea how economics work.
Then start to read, you fucking illiterate nigger:
amazon.com/Principles-Economics-Mankiws/dp/0538453052

Why have 1.00 yen when you could just do 100 yen? Its basically the same thing only yen doesn't have cents like the dollar does.
Its not like Zimbabwe where African math led to 1,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwe dollars adding up to one US dollar.

When the numbers get a little too crazy some countries switch currencies to erase zeros. Like the New Taiwan Dollar.

>How come they don't just add a decimal in somewhere?

Admin costs. Other than habit it's literally the only reason.
You have to reprint your bills
Shops have to redo their price labels
Some IT chump at MorganChase has to update some lines of code
And then there is usually the complication of redoing price calculations in your head. But this is normally only the case when you don't just get rid of some decimals like you suggest. When some countries switched to decimal currency, getting rid of shit like farthings, shillings, etc, it caused mad confusion. Most shops had to put up signs explaining the currency equivalents so people could get their heads around.

You could theoretically issue a new currency and make the old currency exchangeable to the amount, tho that said there's very little reason to do so except in actual crisis.