Alright lads, what's the REAL verdict on protein shakes? Need them or not?

Alright lads, what's the REAL verdict on protein shakes? Need them or not?

Had them when I was a DYEL and they didn't seem to work on putting on mass.

Then I switched to no proteons and got it exclusively from food and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Currently 6'1 ~178lbs/81kg @ 10-12%bf. All my lifts went up too, so are protein shakes really necessary for my winter bulk or is it jewish trickery?

You don't NEED them but they're good to have in a pinch if you're trying to fill out your last 100-150 calories and 20-25 grams of protein to fit your macros. I prefer to drink one before bed rather than trying to shovel down 6-8 egg whites.

They let you eat normy foods and still hit your macros. They aren't magic, just an easy way to get extra protein.

Waist of money

Surely whacking in a can of tuna or some eggs to your diet before bed can easily be done without spending more than you would on protein shakes/

Whey tastes better and is faster

Daily reminder that whey is a DAIRY PRODUCT, therefore it's garbage

t. Vegan protein powder masterrace
>but not an actual vegan :^)

Absolutely not necessary and I'll admit

But what to mix with oats? Oats become GOAT with some good whey

can't hit 200g of protein a day without it desu, only have 2 meals a day a couple protein bars and a shake in the evening

Cals per day?

I do a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Improves the texture and tastes great

peanut butter + sugar free syrup
thank me later

You don’t need them, whey is bad for you, protein shakes taste gross and I feel sorry for those who drink them

The only time when a protein shake is better than regular food is immediately after training, with fast carbs. Other times they may be convenient or help you to reach the daily protein intake, but absolutely not necessary.
The other time when they are handy is on the morning, but not as much as a post-workout.
Whey btw is indeed derived from milk buy does not really have much common with it. Whey is good, milk is useless.

Whey protein is just food. It's easy to eat and it's usually super bio available. If it's convenient for you go for it.

>milk is useless
Lactose-intolerant nigger detected

Far from it my friendo, i love milk and grew up drinking it, sometimes straight from the milk or goat (when on visit to my grandparents in their village). But the modern milk, sold in supermarket is totally unsuitable to satisfy the needs of an adult sportsman. It's de- and rehydrated, stripped of the original nutrients and processed making it longer lasting, better tasting. Proper milk doesn't go off, it turns to cream and curd and cheese. You don't get this from your regular milk from a store.
Drinking milk is not a problem, just don't think ot adds much to your diet.

It has protein and it has calories. What else do you want?
>muh nutrients
Jesus christ you reek of dyel.

Pls show your whole day of eating, I would love to be able to hit those macros but don’t know how

Every day I start with 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal and a smoothie with 2 scoops vegan powder , a handful of frozen berrys and a banana fortified rice milk and a handful of nuts. That's like 1000 cals 60g protein 30g fat. And healthy as fuck.

Vegan powder?

I mix rice protein and pea protein and l-lysine powder in a huge tub

>tfw Jewish and actually got a laugh out of OP's image

What would my grandparents say

Dis shit

>20-25 grams of protein
>he doesn't drink 80 gram protein shakes

I changed to find it but there was a study that found one scoop isn't enough post exercise and you should always have servings of 40g at least. Aka, 2 SCOOPS CMON

God work rabin?!!11

how is this even a question? This is like asking, "alright, whats the real verdict on this math problem? 2+2=4? Does it actually equal 4?"

>It has protein and it has calories. What else do you want?
>>muh nutrients
You know that protein is a nutrient, right?
Btw drinking a liter of milk for 30g protein doesn't sound like a efficient source.
You get more from about one chicken breast (125g). Snickers and Nutella have a lot of calories too, i guess they're also staples in your diet.

Nothing, they're dead so they cant talk, silly

I just boil them up a bit, add milk an then top off with 2 tea spoons of honey. Also chop up a banana for good measure

My grandpa also died in a concentration camp.. he slipped and fell down from the watchtower.

Yeah well it may be shit but it's better than nothing. Damn, I miss being able to go down early in the morning in front a supermarket, find a babushka and buy milk that has left the cow just hours earlier

None of you seem to understand how protein is metabolized by your body.

In the span of a 1 meal digestion, an average male body can utilize about 30g of protein for various syntheses, like muscle production and creation of essential cells / fluids. Anything past that point is changed into calories. This all happens quite late in digestion, and depending on the protein's source, or amino acids, can occur very slowly. Things like whey and chicken are good right before bed because of how slow of proteins they are (prevention of sleep causing your muscles to go catabolic).

This means that correct amounts of protein are absolutely essential, because you can't make up for past protein intake since it has a soft cap, if you don't mind the terminology.

Carbs are quickly metabolized, but need fibers with them to be considered "good". Very little actual nutritional value apart from intestinal / colon health via high fiber.

Fats are slower energy, metabolized later, and much more calorie dense, making them more difficult to utilize but also more valuable, as they play an important role in your body transferring fat-soluble vitamins.

Milk is extremely valuable to people with crazy high resting metabolisms, due to it's insane fat content (whole milk is the only milk Veeky Forums will talk about, trust me), and valuable proteins with well-rounded aminos. The sugars are fickle, but if you're using milk to bulk, you obviously need all the calories you can get.

Whey protein, or whey isolate, is a very lazy way to get your protein. Using whey for your primary source of protein, at a properly done level, is so that you can focus actual food on high calorie, low satiety food with more fiber and nutrients. (Proteins have very low calories, but fill your stomach very much).

That 25g one scoop you took? Perfect to sate your protein metabolisation for the next 2 hours, but get some fiber! Get some fats!

It's all about doing things right.